PDA

View Full Version : Cross dressing and anxiety

Zoey Neon
03-23-2014, 02:07 PM
So does anyone have the same problem of find this weird that when I dress as woman I feel great not a worry in the world but when I have I dress like a man for family social occasions or work I feel nervous and sick does anyone else have this problem?

Adriana Moretti
03-23-2014, 02:15 PM
most gals feel more relaxed and stress free when they dress, myself included. As far as guy mode..for me...no I dont get anxiety dressed as a male. But I do naturally have anxiety in general usually brought on not being in a creative mindset. I am no doctor here...but maybe its just natural social anxiety...cause i am going to guess you dont dress in public . But yea I think the two are linked in one form or another with alot of gals.

Secret Drawer
03-23-2014, 02:23 PM
It is certainly true that for most of us the dressing has a calming effect overall. You could have a form of social anxiety that would appear no matter how you are presenting, or have some gender dysphoia going on. I have had the vaugue but persistent feeling that my entire life in male mode is a bit of an act and am more grounded and natural when I am expressing myself as (more) feminine. Yet I also consider myself gender fluid and it goes much deeper then simply crossdressing. Try to locate the source of your anxiety to determine whether it is gender based or a less specific social anxiety. You may be an introvert living in an extroverted world...

Jenelle
03-23-2014, 02:39 PM
I always feel a lot more relaxed when I am dressed and I don't have to be totally dressed either. I naturally have some anxiety at family gatherings but that is just because of my family. It always calms down once I have settled in.

Richelle423
03-23-2014, 02:51 PM
When I'm dressed as a man I don't feel stressed out or have anxiety but when dressed I feel so so calm and so care free.

Katey888
03-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Zoey - I suspect Adriana and SD have raised important points about where the anxiety originates...

I feel much more relaxed dressed, but I suspect that is because I slip out of reality and leave behind many of the regular real world worries - in fact, now, I realise it might be because of an easing of the need to present in my alternate gender... but anxiety for me is not normally high.

Knowing also what you are going through at the moment, I'd suggest that is only going to add to your anxieties, but that dressing allows you to feel closer to a self image that you feel more comfortable with.

Dressing like a guy does not in and of itself cause anxiety - that might need a bit more delving into for you... Is there anyone you can talk to about that, or have thought about getting some counselling? Not just for this, but also for what you're going through right now..? It can help... :hugs:

Katey x

Marcelle
03-23-2014, 03:47 PM
Hi Zoey,

I suspect that when you dress you are engaging in an action which brings you immense joy and a sense of relief. If you look at a standard model of stress sometimes referred to as the ABCD model (A) the action - in this case dressing en femme, invokes a series of cognitive thoughts (B) most likely - dressing is natural to me, it is what I need to do . . . this in turn creates an emotional response (C) feeling good, calm, centered which finally leads to a response (D) confidence, grounded, self satisfaction - all reducing the stress effect. This I suspect is what a lot of us feel when we dress and it calms us. It is in effect reducing stressors of the day because it is something we can own or control in our lives. Lack of control in one's life can lead to huge amounts of stress. The mere act of dressing is a ritual we control to whatever degree we wish to obtain, when we reach it, we have achieved control . . . hence the stress reduces. When an if you go out in public "en femme" (not sure if you do) you likely will experience momentary loss of control and stress. Once you begin to own your environment (get comfortable - control) stress reduces. If you cannot gain control of the situation anxiety will increase and stress will ensue.

In the case of dressing "en boy" if it just the stress of being in a social setting then again loss of control equates to stress. Perhaps while dressed "en boy" you have trouble relating those around you and this will cause social anxiety and clothes will not change that. However, if it is a deep down hatred of wearing boy clothes (makes your skin crawl just putting on guy clothes), then there could be some gender dysphoria occurring and I would recommend that you look into seeing a therapist who deals with gender identity issues to discuss these feelings.

Hugs

Isha

Talisker
03-23-2014, 04:07 PM
Zoey - I think what you described is very common. Could say more but Katey above already said it.

BLUE ORCHID
03-23-2014, 09:28 PM
Hi Zoey, When I'm dressed the world could stop turning and I probably wouldn't even notice.

Kate Simmons
03-23-2014, 09:33 PM
Once I conquered my fear of speaking before a group, I no longer had anxiety. I realized that when I was speaking on a subject, I probably knew more about it than anyone else there. Now I can perform before an audience with no problem at all. ;):battingeyelashes::)

Beverley Sims
03-23-2014, 11:16 PM
Zoey,
Cross-dressing can be sooo relaxxxing!

Felicia Dee
03-24-2014, 12:39 AM
It's an interesting point you raise... in guy mode, I feel out of step and awkward most of the time. En femme - when I've been out with groups, I'm like champagne - chilled and bubbly.

Lucy Lou
03-24-2014, 04:38 AM
I do feel more 'right' and comfortable when dressed and when I am dressed as a man I just feel like I am just going through the motions. Lucy Lou xx

tiffany_ann
03-25-2014, 08:29 PM
It does seem to calm me, but it is also a major distraction from the real world