PDA

View Full Version : Long Hair Arouse Suspicion in GGs?

Brenda B
03-24-2014, 07:36 AM
I've been wearing my hair long for many years, and often wonder what women in general think of long hair on guys. One time in a store (in drab) I heard a woman say to her friend, "his hair is nicer than mine!" (which sent my CD sensibility into a tizzy!) Many have complimented me, but I wonder if others suspect there might be a feminine component involved. That's certainly true in my case, but I also wear it long as a tribute to my 1960's - 1970's heritage (a stubborn hippie ghost!)
At any rate it comes in handy for a crossdresser, and at 53 I'm grateful to have my hair!

Best to all,
Brenda B

Jordan
03-24-2014, 07:44 AM
Just me thinking but I wouldn't think so

Cheryl T
03-24-2014, 07:51 AM
If I could grow mine out and have it look nice I'd do it in a minute. It was that way through the 60's and 70's but now mother nature has played that cruel trick on me. I'm at the point where I've finally come out and would love to have my own long full hair, but she's made me look like an extra in a monastery...darn that woman.

I Am Paula
03-24-2014, 07:56 AM
In days gone by, men's hairstyles went in and out of fashion like clothing. Now it's anything goes. My lawyer, and my stock broker both have ponytails. Long hair was once a political statement, short hair showed respect for the establishment, bald was just plain freaky, and later, things like the Mohawk, and brightly colored hair made a statement.
I think that if women point out your long hair, it's genuinely a compliment to your grooming, and style, and you shouldn't read in anything more.

Kate's at home
03-24-2014, 07:58 AM
I would think that the styling (cut/color and how you wear it) would be the focus of attention, not the length per se.

Kate

Kate Simmons
03-24-2014, 08:03 AM
All I can say is enjoy it while you have it my friend. ;) In any case, I think "suspicion" of a guy with long hair went out the window a long time ago. :battingeyelashes::)

Anna H
03-24-2014, 08:13 AM
Mine has always been very long. I cut a full 12" off 5-6 months
ago and it's already getting too long again.

Women have always liked it and complimented me on it. I assume
if they didn't like it, they wouldn't say anything....many/most? like
short hair on guys.

I've always cut my own bangs straight across...(like in your avatar, Brenda)
I wanted it to look a bit on the girly side. Nobody ever seemed to have
taken any notice, so it's worked out well.

It's gotten a silvery blondish color. I'd like to dye it, but my wife says
not to do that....too much upkeep. I may get it professionally styled
soon. I've been growing my bangs out in case I decided to do that.
That'd be the first time in 30 years if I did....I just chop it off with
shears when it gets too long....lol!

I've been playing around with wigs for several months now. So easy to
change color and style. Long hair is Great, but it goes flat easily here
with the heat and humidity.

Anyway...I never had any ideas of anyone thinking anything of it. Some
nice women have liked it very much many times. They notice my nails
are long too....but I never had any sense of them thinking anything
out of the ordinary.

:happy: ♥

EDIT: ....Yay! it must be Kate Day! 3 Kate posts in a row within minutes of
each other....:)

Katey888
03-24-2014, 08:43 AM
So let's make it four in a row... Is that a first? :)

Coincidentally, there's a post in the 'Ask a GG' thread in which one of the GGs confirms that she does find it suspicious - go figure...!

I suppose it is more exceptional than it was a few years ago, but there are still plenty of ageing hippies around in any case...

I don't think I'd want the maintenance issues my wife has with long hair - much more flexible in colour and style to be a wiggy.. :D

Katey x

Krisi
03-24-2014, 09:07 AM
There are many reasons a man might wear his hair long and I doubt a typical female would associate long hair with crossdressing. Mainstream society doesn't think a lot about crossdressers.

Now if a man had short or medium hair all his life and started to grow it out and care for it as a senior citizen, that might arouse suspicion.

As nice as it would be to have natural long hair that could be styled as a woman, wigs have the advantage of providing a disguise if you're out in public and worried about being recognized.

Male - short brown hair, female - long blonde hair.

Chari
03-24-2014, 09:08 AM
My hair is "natural curly" and I've always proudly worn it longer than most accepted guy styles. Even today it is still curly, sadly a bit thinner, and only to the ear lobes in length, sort of a "bob". Often now when out and about with some close GG's, we'd be greeted with "How are you ladies today!" and we'd all laugh - in a good way. A few years ago I met a professional hair stylist who suggested I "come in for a consultation to review my hair needs". She was wonderful, so accepting, understanding, and styled my hair into a "unisex" creation that was very easy to care for. She continues to do my hair in whatever mode I present to her! Enjoy.

Beverley Sims
03-24-2014, 09:36 AM
Nothing like your own hair, you get used to it being long and upkeep is not that hard if you take care.
At one time I never wore a wig for about two years.

Tracii G
03-24-2014, 09:38 AM
I got a compliment on my longish hair last night at the grocery.
Its past my shoulders and pretty close to the shoulder blades.
The lady (late 40's in age) smiled as she walked past and I smiled back,she stopped and said I just love your hair.
I said thanks its pretty much a mess today.She said no not at all it looks great on you.
Do you roll it or use a curling iron on it?
I said yes sometimes I do and she replied well it looks very well cared for and I love it.
The way I was dressed girls jeans and girls jacket she may have thought CD'er but I doubt it.

Adriana Moretti
03-24-2014, 09:58 AM
yes...be lucky you have all of it !! ...i dont think this day and age people will think that...crossdressing is not on everyones mind as much it is ours....so there is ALOT of overthinking and paranoia amoung us over little things...the shaved body tops the chart on that though....and the real giveaway with gg's has got to be eyebrows.

5150 Girl
03-24-2014, 12:00 PM
I've always been a rocker, and thus, have had long hair... If you're worried about beeing read as CD when in drab, just wear a Led Zeplin t shirt, and you'l just look like an old rocker

paulaprimo
03-24-2014, 12:18 PM
i am very partial to longer hair and have always had it long. i am not really a wig person,
and yes i am very thankful at my age to have a full head of hair.
my hair is about 20 inches with a natural curl. most woman seem to love it and pay me the nicest compliments. men mostly ask
why do i have it so long and they are usually balding and my answer is because i still have it... :)

BLUE ORCHID
03-24-2014, 12:30 PM
Hi Brenda, Long hair on men is just as normal as any other style of hair cut.
I'm 71 and still have a full head of hair if I would let it grow out it would probably
be shoulder length in about a year and a half .
Had I been born 20yrs later I'm sure that I would have long hair.

Lorileah
03-24-2014, 12:30 PM
Women loved my 3 foot long ponytail. Never questioned my masculinity from that

Sharon B.
03-24-2014, 03:16 PM
I have been letting my salt and pepper hair grow out I dislike wearing wigs and I do use woman's hair dye to cover up the gray. I have found the woman's hair dye works better then the men's hair dye. I hope by fall of this year it will be down to my shoulders or close to it. Then I would like to get my ears pierced at least one hole each ear. There aren't enough clip on earrings that I like to wear but are plenty of for pierced ears.

Jenniferathome
03-24-2014, 03:22 PM
As a guy, when I see long hair on men, I think it looks odd. I will waver between thinking "hippie" and "cross dresser" depending on his attire. The reason is that long hair is pain to deal with. Of course, I was mine in a buzz cut.

Now, in the case of balding on top and long in back, that's just sad.

kittypw GG
03-24-2014, 03:39 PM
All I can say is enjoy it while you have it my friend. ;) In any case, I think "suspicion" of a guy with long hair went out the window a long time ago. :battingeyelashes::)

Yeah now we know. :devil::heehee: Just had to tease you a little.

Krisi
03-24-2014, 03:48 PM
Mullett?

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/tasteofcountry.com/files/2012/07/Billy-Ray-Cyrus.jpg

LilSissyStevie
03-24-2014, 04:04 PM
My hair was long when I was a teenager but nobody accused me of being a crossdresser; "fag" seemed to cover all the bases. I kept my hair buzzed up until I retired a few years ago but I haven't cut it since. There is nothing remotely feminine about it though.

ReineD
03-24-2014, 05:28 PM
When I was a teenager, long hair on guys was normal. The first guy I had a mad crush on had long, curly hair tied at the nape. I've always loved long hair on a guy and never once did it occur to me that it had anything to do with CDing. But, maybe this only holds true for my generation. My son's ex gf made her dad cut off his ponytail, she was embarrassed by it ... not because it was feminine in anyway, she just can't stand hippies.

I knew my SO for 3 years prior to our dating and being told about the CDing. S/he has long, mid-back hair and I had no clue. lol

My SO once pointed out that generally, three types of mainstream men wear long hair: those who buck political/authoritarian systems (hippies), academics/intellectuals, and rednecks. So I think that when people see a man with long hair, they have a lot of categories to pigeon-hole him into before they think of CDing.

LilSissyStevie
03-24-2014, 05:50 PM
My SO once pointed out that generally, three types of mainstream men wear long hair: those who buck political/authoritarian systems (hippies), academics/intellectuals, and rednecks.

OMG! I'm three for three - a redneck, hippie, intellectual! And a musician, too. No wonder I have long hair.

lynnef
03-24-2014, 05:56 PM
mine doesn't seem to arouse too much suspicion, but then again I usually have it up in a bun or under a hat (it's past my hips when down, and I get too many people wanting to buy(!)/touch/have me donate it) although once I did have a couple of (rather cute) younger girls tell me how pretty it was :) (and for those saying it's too much work, I spend about 2-3 min/day on it (1 min brush in the morning, 10 seconds to put it in a bun w/ a hairfork, and about 1 min brush/oil in the evening before bed (and 10 sec to put a cap on), washing takes about 3 minutes once a week or so (water/conditioner only)

sanderlay
03-24-2014, 06:22 PM
Long hair by itself I don't think would arouse suspicion in the average person that you CD. Many persons had Long Hair for many different reason when I was growing up and I believe the same can be said today. Some it's part of their culture and they do so to honor their past ancestors. Or they do it to be a non-conformist. Etc...

Personally... now that I'm older... I just don't care what other people think. Being myself is more important and life's to short to worry about such things. I would rather find a woman that likes me for being who I am, a gender non-conforming CDer.

ReineD
03-24-2014, 07:03 PM
... And a musician, too. No wonder I have long hair.

Forgot about musicians. I guess we can add artists to the list too. Well, creative people generally. And mad scientists?

See? There are lots of guys who wear long hair without being CDers. :D

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2011/09/28/93434191-einstein-tongue_custom-36fb0ce35776dc2d92eda90880022bf48a67e192-s40-c85.jpg

Jenniferathome
03-24-2014, 07:12 PM
and how do you know Albert wasn't cross dresser? ;-)

Eryn
03-24-2014, 07:29 PM
Not just mad scientists, Reine, all scientists! In fact there is a gender-unrestricted "Luxuriant Flowing Hair Club for Scientists" that is a sponsored by the scientific journal "Annals of Improbable Research."

Scroll down for the galleries:

http://www.improbable.com/hair/

erickka
03-25-2014, 05:20 AM
I used to have shoulder length or longer back in the 70's (a little bit of hippie and rocker style) but nowadays, I'm one of those who is follicularly challenged! I'd give anything to have real long hair again.

Tinkerbell-GG
03-25-2014, 07:24 AM
Before I knew about my H, I'd NEVER have connected long hair on a man with crossdressing. Not once. Hippy, musician, maybe just a guy who likes long hair (think Fabio and his flowing blonde locks) But crossdressing never occurred to me.

Now, I immediately think: 'there's a crossdresser'. Yet, poor guy is probably just a guitar playing hippy who likes long hair!

Do you see what you all did?!! :)

mariehart
03-25-2014, 07:55 AM
I grew up in the long haired seventies but tragically I had curly hair so while all those around me had long straight hair, mine went out like an afro or a perm. When I first went to a CD group many of the others had beautiful long hair which they would brush into a feminine style for the evening. I was really jealous of them. It's still the same. I let it grow a bit recently and when I blow dried it. I actually looked like my Mother. But it's no use to me CDing.

As for women being suspicious. Well unless there are other markers like cultured eyebrows. No one will notice. I don't know about the US but here long hair is as common as short. It's almost a class thing. Middle class children often have long hair which they keep as students and adults. But long or short no one pays any attention.

Anna H
03-25-2014, 07:57 AM
Being as I had my long hair...and had my own little special reasons for it...

I always looked at others with long hair and did wonder. For my whole life,
I'd wonder. But I never once saw any clue that anyone was like me. That's out
of many-many over many years.

There had to be some, but I guess those CDers are pretty good at keeping
a low profile....(heehee!)

:)

Chickhe
03-25-2014, 01:34 PM
No...probably not. There are a lot of guys with long hair. I think the fem part would only come in to it if it was also styled. The trend for long hair on guys is to leave it messy or gel it back. I tried long hair with feminine bangs, even colored it and nobody noticed, the only time was one day it was windy and my hair was all over the place and this little kid who was confused asked his mom if I was a man or woman... my short answer...I don't think the length matters, its what you do with it.

KatieGG
03-25-2014, 03:00 PM
Long hair by itself, no. If he has layers or some other fem hair style the thought might cross my mind, but that might be because I am married to a cross dresser? I don't know. When I was in school a handful of guys had longish hair, mostly skater/scene guys (like my husband was) but the "he's a cross dresser" thought never crossed my mind with any of them.

Tinkerbell-GG
03-25-2014, 03:38 PM
and how do you know Albert wasn't cross dresser? ;-)

Actually, he probably was! Google photos of him wearing high heels at the beach etc. funny how he even makes this look smart :)

RebeccaLynne
03-25-2014, 04:23 PM
Brenda, as a guy with hair halfway down his back, all I've ever heard from GG's were compliments.

My hair is uncut as a statement... non-conformist and anti-authority. I'd keep it long whether or not I cross dressed. However, I generally keep it in a low pony tail unless I'm in femme mode, in which case it's slightly off-center parted and free-flowing.

In general, unless a guy has coloring, highlighted, or feminine-styled hair, I don't think there's a suspicion that he's possibly a cross dresser.

Ally 2112
03-25-2014, 09:54 PM
i have had long hair for years and at the bottom it turns into ringlets.i have many compliments but have also been told to cut it by many also .But to answer the question i have never been asked if i was a CDer :)

NathalieX66
03-25-2014, 10:01 PM
My hair brushes my collarbone these days, and I really don't give a at's rass what people think.
If people suspect that I have a transgender side, so be it. I live no lies.

PretzelGirl
03-25-2014, 10:05 PM
I think by virtue of being exposed to crossdressing, we tend to call someone one of our kind when the run of the mill person wouldn't even have a passing thought about it. I have had long hair in a very professional environment for 6-7 years now. Not one comment other than being a hippie or mid-life crisis. Now that I am out to my brother, his comment was "And I thought you were just being a hipster".

GenieGirl
03-25-2014, 10:11 PM
I grew mine out because I like to rock and roll and also to see how many reactions it would get from people about my change from short hair all my life. Been growing it out almost 4 years now. I've only had compliments from girls as well about my long hair. The only negatives I have gotten where from my mom who questioned if I was growing it out because I wanted to be a girl...she has her reasons...and my gf when it gets too long (i dont like it too long as it is so much of a hassle, once it gets to my shoulders i usually chop it off down to 6" or so.) She likes it about that length. Long hair don't care, rock on Brenda.

Brenda B
03-26-2014, 04:22 AM
Hi Geniegirl, that your natural hair in your pic? Looks good! You rock on, too!

Nichola
03-26-2014, 04:44 AM
I think in this day & age long hair alone wouldn't arouse suspicion. Maybe a feminine style, cut & colour could though.

Ezekiel
03-26-2014, 04:57 AM
I think in this day & age long hair alone wouldn't arouse suspicion. Maybe a feminine style, cut & colour could though.

Suspicion of being affeminate / gay for those over 30, in reference to the feminine style, cut and colour you mention. For those under 30 no suspicion of anything really. People has no idea about anything TG seriously.

Claire Cook
03-26-2014, 05:20 AM
I have to second Kate -- be glad you still have it! And I wouldn't worry about anyone suspecting a "feminine component" -- my experience is that when GG's do, they are very supportive. :battingeyelashes:

Genifer Teal
04-08-2014, 06:25 PM
My friends (who really know me) constantly say I'm not fooling anyone - if I think I have a boy side left. With long hair, long nails, plucked eyebrows and no beard shadow, I think the only one I am fooling is myself. lol

CynthiaD
04-08-2014, 08:29 PM
I used to have shoulder length hair when I was in my 20's. I got ma'amed a lot even wit copious facial hair. Now I'm bald as an egg. Sigh!

sometimes_miss
04-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Well, I grew up in an era when most boys had long hair. So even though I took real good care of it, so much so that my hair was in better conditon than most of the girls in my class (I had really good hair when I was a teen), I don't think anyone suspected anything. I kept that long, beautiful hair until I was what, 26? I never heard any words about it.

karyn2000
04-08-2014, 09:55 PM
I had long hair when I was 9-12 yrs old. Since I had no facial hair, higher pitched voice and skinny as a rail, everyone thought I was a girl. I last had long hair for 18 months 5 yrs ago. My stylist went on maternity leave a month ago and the substitute stylist asked me out of the blue if I wear my hair long. She said my hair is thick. She was encouraging me to grow it out again. So long hair is not an obvious one. It would have to be a combo of factors. I'm hairless all the time so that's more of a give away...especially when summertime comes and you're wearing shorts.

sunnysideup
04-09-2014, 02:00 AM
GG here...I have always been attracted to men with long hair. Take that with a grain of salt, however...I am also very much into the rock scene, tattoos, etc., which could definitely contribute to my hair preferences :)

GaleWarning
04-09-2014, 02:12 AM
I am blessed with a full head of hair and I decided 7 months ago to let it grow. It's now shoulder length and quite curly.
The only one to pass an adverse comment so far has been Shesa!
K (my new girlfriend) and I have not yet had the cd conversation. We will when the time is right.

Zylia
04-09-2014, 03:20 AM
I'd say they think you're a stoner long before they think you like to cross-dress.

trisha kobichenko
04-09-2014, 03:25 AM
there was definitely a feminine component involve for me--and it was also a tribute to my 60's heritage--but I cut it short after it started to fall out. :)

KristyE
04-09-2014, 04:34 AM
My hair is well past my shoulders and I wear it in a braid at work ( machines). I think the ear rings might say more though. I like the thought of giving off signs of "I wonder".
Love KristyE

Sharon B.
04-09-2014, 06:04 AM
Last year I had a burr hair cut although it was at my ears I was working highway construction and it got to bothering me, this year not working but should find employment somewhere I am letting it grow out. When it gets a little longer I would like to get a feminine style to it and by fall I would like to get my ears pierced.

wanda66
04-09-2014, 06:40 AM
I have had long hair for years,as a teenager I remember my dad telling me to get my hair cut casue I look like a girl. For the last 5 or 6 yrs it been to the shoulder or beyond. I wear in a pony tail during the at work . I know some people make remarks and joke but never to me. Away from work I wear it down with it pulled back out of my face. I have it style to go boy or fem. I feel good about it , I have had several young and older ladys tell me how lovely my hair is
I never connected loog hair to c/d. Lastly I real don't care what people , this is me take it or leave it

ophelia
04-10-2014, 08:53 AM
I am jealous of you long-haired maven wannabes! Ten years ago my locks were long and lovely. In my profession a pony tail is no problem at all. Dates were standoffish at first, until they felt it running over their own bodies. And it is very sexy to brush each other's hair. I had my long locks highlited, curled, striaghtened, french-braided, updone......
You will get comments from GG's if you keep it well colored, cut styled and conditioned. I got many "your hair is better than mine" and then there were the countless "Ma'am, you dropped your glove....Ooops sorry sir!"
If you can grow your hair out the options long hair will add to your crossdressing success and enjoyment are unbelievable.

Annaliese
04-10-2014, 09:33 AM
I wore my hair long for years, you are luck you still have yours, when mine started to thin in the front, hell no hair in the front, I cut it, nothing look as bad as long hair on the side and back and bald in the front.