PDA

View Full Version : Shopping at Stores

Vallari
09-30-2004, 07:08 PM
I walked into a Chico's store today to look at fem clothing and was greeted warmly by the sales girls there. They were very nice. One must have been around my age (18-20 I guess) and the other two were older women. After a minute, they younger girl came up to me and asked me if I needed any help and I said I was just looking. She asked me "who for?" and i hesitated for a second! :eek: I ended up saying for a girlfriend and I think she believed me. She asked me what size/style I was looking for and said I was unsure. Anyway, we talked for a little more and she showed me some items around the store. They were very friendly an it was wonderful! :) But I can't help but wonder what would have happened if I answered something like "uhhm......uhhmmmm............for me. :o " instead? It was an interesting expierence and I just wanted to share it. Have any of you gals ever been in this situation and if so what did you tell and what happened?

Julie
09-30-2004, 07:37 PM
When I was younger I used the "girlfriend" excuse but rarely bought anything. Now I just go in and shop and when a sales lady asks if I'm finding everything okay I smile and say yes. I'm pretty picky so it's usually a waste of their time to try to help. Besides I like looking at the clothes.

I have however heard many of the girls here and on other forums having told sales girls it was for them and the results were pretty good.

kristi cd
09-30-2004, 07:44 PM
As a matter of fact yes. Not quite the same but sorta I guess. I stopped today on the way home to get some shoes and when I went to the checkout the girl (bout my age maybe a lil older) was really cool about it. She said something like I'm sure they're not for you and I of course agreed with some lame story she probably saw right through. :rolleyes: It was scary in a way but at the same time one of the most exciting things I've done in a while (I don't get out much, can you tell...:p) Don't know if that was the question, just wanted to share. :D

GraceUSA
09-30-2004, 10:16 PM
On monday I was at the Victoria's Secret fragrance store looking for some perfume (and also the free makeup deal). The store is in a odd section of the mall and it was dead when I walked in so sure enough a sales lady comes over to see if I need help. I told her I was shopping for myself and was shown the mens line first. I really didn't like it and asked what other things she recommended and also said that since I'm a crossdresser I really do like some of the fem smelling perfurms as well. Needless to say her eyes really brighted up and we had fun smelling all the perfums. Walked out of the store with a perfum I'm really happy with and fits me perfectly.

I've had all kinds of responces when I'm out shopping, from the sales cleric not being able to realize I was shopping for myself (older lady in VS) to being imformed that the store doesn't carry any mens clothes (I usually respond with "yah, I know") to clerics being really helpful and having some great converstions. Mostly its great, only had 2 cases where I feel like I didn't want to buy anything there.

Grace

Wenda
09-30-2004, 10:26 PM
When I first got 'serious', I stopped at an adult store in Calgary. the clerk was very matter of fact and very helpful. I was looking for short leather skirts. She found 3 for me to try on. I took the shiny patent one with the lace-up sides. I bought a black lace bra and panties at Zellers (like Target in the USA), and asked to try them on, and the mature sales lady didn't bat an eye. Tried on some shoes on the way home, went to three stores in a large mall. When the young clerk at the last store finally realized I was serious, she got right into it. I said I wanted something black, with heels, slightly trashy looking. She found several pairs of size elevens and I found a pair I really liked. She tried to sell me a matching clutch. Usually I just dont buy too many things at any one store. I often walk through department stores. Nearly bought a very nice leather coat in Walmart yesterday, but, figured it wasn't femme enough, and I am still not going outside, so bought a great pair of silver sandals on sale for $5. If you are a bit uncomfortable, wait until you have some other purchases to make, pick them out, and then add an item or two of clothing. I just take them to the till and buy them. A week ago I found several things at Zellers, all black, all sexy, all XL. The girl said "Are these for you?" She had a wicked smile. I said "Don't ask." I think she thought it was neat. happy shopping babe, wenda.

Felicity
09-30-2004, 11:34 PM
I got to the point I tell the sales ladies it's for me. 9 times out of 10, they are helpful. Only about 10% of the time I feel unwelcomed, and I thank them and move on. Then there is about that 1 in 5 times they are fascinated and want to help with ideas, have you try things on, and give opinions. Makes for some interesting times. A couple weeks ago, I spent about 2 hours with a sales lady. She kept coming in and out of the dressing room with things.

I wonder if it is like that elsewhere? Afterall, I live in the Capitol of the North-Left Coast... Portland, Oregon...

Ava Mouse
09-30-2004, 11:42 PM
I went shopping at Panache (http://www.nwsource.com/ae/scr/edb_vd.cfm?c=s&ven=7039&s=nws) Wednesday afternoon, one of my favorite boutiques. Normally I would say it's for my wife, but this time, I asked to use the dressing rooms, and they were fine with it, even chatted with them for a while about my family, too. So, they knew I was a CD, but with wife & kids.

One thing that seems to help is that I said I didn't want to make any of the other customers feel uncomfortable, the sales girls seemed to appreciate that... :)

mchelle
09-30-2004, 11:45 PM
actually had a few good experiences w salespeople when shopping for myself.
im waiting on a Vickys secret giftcard for answering a survey on my last shop to go again.

Vallari
10-02-2004, 12:43 AM
Wow these all must have been interesting expierences girls! Thanks for all the replies! I've got another question for you all too...when shopping for fem things, has anyone ever dealt with a nosy child approaching you (like 4 or 6 years old) that asks you why your looking at girl clothes? :eek: This happened to me at a ROSS store once but the child just kept walking by. I know they're young and don't know any better but it's still a nervewracking expierence to me. :o

samanthajay
10-02-2004, 02:55 AM
On monday I was at the Victoria's Secret fragrance store looking for some perfume (and also the free makeup deal). The store is in a odd section of the mall and it was dead when I walked in so sure enough a sales lady comes over to see if I need help. I told her I was shopping for myself and was shown the mens line first. I really didn't like it and asked what other things she recommended and also said that since I'm a crossdresser I really do like some of the fem smelling perfurms as well. Needless to say her eyes really brighted up and we had fun smelling all the perfums. Walked out of the store with a perfum I'm really happy with and fits me perfectly.

I've had all kinds of responces when I'm out shopping, from the sales cleric not being able to realize I was shopping for myself (older lady in VS) to being imformed that the store doesn't carry any mens clothes (I usually respond with "yah, I know") to clerics being really helpful and having some great converstions. Mostly its great, only had 2 cases where I feel like I didn't want to buy anything there.

Grace
youed be saprised of how many sales ladies what to doll up a guy. as for me i havnt tried it yet i think my gg will take me one day? :D

Felicity
10-02-2004, 03:22 AM
Yes.. many of them do like to 'doll up a guy'...

Elinor
10-02-2004, 07:12 AM
I bought clothes online or mags.
But I did once walk past a shop and saw a darling skirt in the window each and everytime I walked past. It took me some time to pick up the courage to go in, but one day I did.

I had a look at the skirts in the window and tried them against me.
The one I loved was not in my size so I bought a soft skirt in Tartan which did fit. I took the skirt to the salesgirl who looked supprised and as we waited for the sale to go through we chatted about finding a skirt in the right size.
She knew the skirt was for me.

One small step for man one giant leap for my femininity.

Lawren
10-02-2004, 07:32 AM
I've never had any trouble with a clerk. I did have a GG customer notice me shopping for bras. When she, and her girlfriend, walked past me she pointed to a bra, looked at me, smiled and said, "I think this would look good on you". When I go to checkout I usally find a clerk who is an older lady. I don't know if they have just seen it all or just stopped being surprised at what they see but they seem to display less reaction to a man buying lingerie. I've also stopped using the girlfriend/wife/daughter excuse. I just use pronouns like "she" and "her" in my comments when I get those looks from people. After all, it's the truth. She/her and I all live in the same body but are distinct individuals. I tend to do my shopping in nearby cities where I'm not known to reduce the chance of being recognized and just yesterday I found a Wal-Mart that has a automatic checkout. Very handy. It eliminates the entire clerk/stress thing.

LoL, Lawren

Julie
10-02-2004, 07:54 AM
I really hate prying shop assistants, I like to look around as I know what I like and I do get angry with the words 'Can I help you?'. If I required any help I'd drag the assistant with me.

I have no problem buying fem clothes and certainly don't get embarrassed doing so.

Love Julietta (Julie)

Charlotte Elizabeth
10-02-2004, 08:08 AM
one tip for those of you a little nervous of shopping for clothes..if you have any gg friends roughly the same dress size as you, take a photo of them into the shop, show it to the sales assistant and say 'I'm buying a gift for my friend/gf..here's a photo of her I brought along to help me choose'.