PDA

View Full Version : Awkward situation: Has this happened to anyone else?

Angie Sweet
03-26-2014, 08:01 PM
So, I went out for only the second time last weekend. Sorry, no pics yet. I did not take my camera with me. Did not want to have to lug it around all night. Hoping to get some pics emailed to me soon. If that does not work, I will recreate the look and post them and some interesting stories from the night soon.
OK, to the reason for this post. We all went to Club Diversity for URNA meeting. One of the ladies I met had a voice that was so very familiar. I KNEW I had worked with her in a previous career. I looked for some obvious signs that it was who I thought it was, but I could not be sure. So I let it go. Late in the night we were talking again and she mentioned that she had worked in that end of town before. I asked where, and she mentioned the plant where both of us had worked. I told that I had worked there as well. Her response was "No Way" a couple of times. Then she said "I'm (his name here)"
I responded by giving details about him only someone who had worked closely with him would know. Then I told him who I was. And the "No Ways" continued.

So my question is how would you handle this if you KNEW who the other person was, but no details were coming to confirm it? I am guessing you let it go. But this might be helpful to others in case the one in a million chance this happens to someone else.

sanderlay
03-26-2014, 08:42 PM
I'm assuming your cross-dressing is a secret by what you said. And if I was doing the same I would not say anything. By saying something you risk the secret coming out in ways that are distorted and unkind. This might damage references to another job.

The other option is your cross-dressing is not a secret and you are already out of the closet. Then it's your option. I would still be hesitant and go slow.

Angie Sweet
03-26-2014, 09:41 PM
You are correct. It is a secret. Not worried to much about references. I won't be using her as a reference. Maybe a little fear that she tells others that I worked with there, and the word spreads.

kimdl93
03-26-2014, 09:45 PM
Under those circumstances I think I'd handle it just as you did. That's pretty cool. I hope you both felt that the meeting was positive.

Adriana Moretti
03-26-2014, 09:49 PM
I had met some one in a simillar situation like you before....but neither of us could put a finger on each other but we knew we knew each other....either way though both parties are "out" so...i guess its not a bad thing right?

MarcellaMcNul
03-26-2014, 10:19 PM
I think you handled it very well. You let the other person make her/his own decision to out h/himself and in the process protected yourself from being potentially inappropriately revealing. Chances are good you now have someone to connect with at future meetings. Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

BLUE ORCHID
03-27-2014, 08:09 AM
Hi Angie, Thanks for sharing that was a great story.

MsVal
03-27-2014, 08:32 AM
That is a good story followed by a very good question.

At this time, I have disclosed to only my wife, and dress only at home when I am alone. If I were to encounter a colleague or friend that was not known to be "out" to the world, I would respect that person's persona and address "her" as I would any other woman. Otherwise, if the person was universally out, I would respect that person's persona by addressing "her" as I woman I recognized.

When / if the day comes that I make a universal disclosure then I would probably handle it differently.

Best wishes
MsVal

sherri
03-27-2014, 10:30 AM
I've met at a couple of people at the clubs who knew me way back when. They wouldn't have made the connection if we hadn't started talking. It's fun to see the realization creep in and that omg moment on their faces.

Beverley Sims
03-27-2014, 11:14 AM
If there is a likelyhood we have met before, I usually go fishing.

I give instances of the parallel universe and If I get a bite, success.

Kate Simmons
03-27-2014, 12:26 PM
I guess this does happen sometimes. To date, I have not had the experience but I think yours was pretty neat Hon. :)

Cheryl T
03-27-2014, 01:18 PM
In the situation you described ... if I KNEW it was someone I recognized I would take them aside and tell them. Then I would let them guess how I knew and probably drive them nuts for a while before revealing myself.
My wife asked a question like that the first time we went to a Tri-Ess meeting. She said what if we met someone we knew....I said so what! What would they do, run to all our friends and say "guess who I met at my crossdressers meeting?"....don't think so.

Angie Sweet
03-27-2014, 07:04 PM
I think you handled it very well. You let the other person make her/his own decision to out h/himself and in the process protected yourself from being potentially inappropriately revealing. Chances are good you now have someone to connect with at future meetings. Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

I am glad everyone said I handled this well. Afterwards, I was real unsure if I had done something wrong. I imagine we will run into each other again.

I've met at a couple of people at the clubs who knew me way back when. They wouldn't have made the connection if we hadn't started talking. It's fun to see the realization creep in and that omg moment on their faces.
The OMG moment was precious. Followed by a lot of hugging and hand holding. A real bonding moment.