PDA

View Full Version : Purse Or Pocket

Martha G
03-27-2014, 03:36 PM
For just casual going out I prefer to wear a skirt or pants with pockets.

I keep my small wallet with ID, credit cards and so forth along with my money clip in one pocket and in the other my keys and cell phone.

Possibly some lipstick too. wrapped in a small plastic bag!

That way I don't have to fool with a purse or if it is a hand bag worry about having to put it somewhere or forgetting it.

I think I prefer some bulging pockets to hauling around a purse.

What are your thoughts on this?

Jenniferathome
03-27-2014, 03:39 PM
Here's what I know: neither my wife nor my two daughters put anything in their pants pockets, ever. Pockets on women's pants are for show, not function.

AllieSF
03-27-2014, 03:41 PM
I am just the opposite and like and use purses because normally those cute skirt and dress pockets seem more for show than actual utilitarian use. They are usually too shallow for my tastes and I constantly would worry about sitting down and having important items drop out of them. I also do not like that bulky pocket look because it looks so out of place (sloppy) with the rest of the good fit of the outfit. I use a purse to carry what I need and it works great for me. Plus, I can vary the size, color and material to better match my different outfits.

Martha G
03-27-2014, 03:42 PM
Points well made!

Maryesther M.
03-27-2014, 03:45 PM
I'm a pockets person myself, Martha and a little purse that fits in one is the ticket for me. I have had several skirts and skirt-suits made, all of which have nice big slash pockets in the skirt for my big hands. The skirt designs are invariably generous A-line, flared, pleated or godet, allowing easy access for hands.

However, Ladies all carry a bag of some sort and I suppose just to look more 'normal' I'd bring one along, even if it had nothing in it!

M.

Christie ann
03-27-2014, 03:51 PM
This is one thing I do on a daily basis no matter how I am dressed. A small "wallet on a string" type purse.

Debbie W
03-27-2014, 03:56 PM
Purse or clutch, as I think Jennifer's comment is spot-on. No GG I know uses pants pockets for anything, even when wearing jeans (although, my GF will put things in her coat pockets....).

And Maryesther: The image of walking around with a completely empty purse/bag made me chuckle! Not entirely sure why, but it did! :)

CynthiaD
03-27-2014, 04:21 PM
Definitely a purse. Lumpy pockets ruin the look of a nice pair of pants. Pockets in skirts are just for decoration.

Joanne f
03-27-2014, 04:31 PM
:D Hello Martha,
this one always confuses me as we call a purse a small thing to keep money in that go's inside of a bag , I use a shoulder bag all the time so that it is hands free the only thing I will keep in a pocket is my keys as they would be the most inconvenient things to lose .

Nadine Spirit
03-27-2014, 04:33 PM
I personally hate stuffing things in my pockets. With male jeans it is possible to do it as those pockets tend to be huge. Any of my female items, if they have pockets at all, they are teeny tiny and it really is not possible to put much of anything in there. And besides I am trying to minimize any potential bulges down there, why would I add to the problem?

Megan Thomas
03-27-2014, 07:32 PM
Pockets are such a male thing. I remember stuffing mine silly with all kinds of stuff for years (keys, lighter, cigs, wallet, tissues, maps, etc, etc.).

Having transitioned, everything goes in a handbag (purse) and the only exception to the rule is perhaps keeping a house key and emergency money in a pocket of jeans - if they have pockets - and then only if I'm out somewhere where there's a risk of my handbag being stolen. As has already been said, pockets are for show on women.

Aly Cat
03-27-2014, 07:39 PM
I prefer a purse, though I dont have may that work with the outfits that I own. I keep having GGs at work ask me if I have a fingernail file and other girly things with me and my response is always the same. Not until I can carry around a purse! They just laugh and say...well get on that already! They all know about me. I just simply refuse to bring a purse with me in guy mode since Im not dressing at work yet. Im waiting until I am on hormones for a while before I start that.

Cynthia Anne
03-27-2014, 08:07 PM
If it's with me it's in my purse! NO exceptions!!!

bridget thronton
03-28-2014, 01:27 AM
Purse of course

Tracii G
03-28-2014, 01:33 AM
I do carry a purse with me but sometimes if I go in a store I just carry my femme wallet.
I find it funny my BFF does the same thing.

Lynn Marie
03-28-2014, 03:01 AM
Anybody remember the concept in the military of not breaking starch? Maybe it was just an Airborne thing. I carry a makeup touch up kit with me that's not going to fit into any pocket even if my enfemme wardrobe had any! A purse is perfect for everything a lady may need when out and about.

RachelCross
03-28-2014, 03:13 AM
A purse for me. A girl must accessorize! Plus I feel I can always stuff my pockets when in male mode.

felicityefeminata
03-28-2014, 03:39 AM
i prefer a purse, but I have also found a particularly useful phone case. I have an I-phone and my case has a slot in the back where I can put my driver's license and 2 credit cards. That way, my phone, Id and credit cards are all together and safe. And these cases come in some wonderful colors, including pink and lavender

Jillian Faith
03-28-2014, 05:36 AM
Your Purse - Never leave home without it ....especially if you want to blend. Seriously look around next time you are in public and count the number of GGs who do not carry a purse.

I Am Paula
03-28-2014, 08:16 AM
This comes up every couple of months. To those who have never actually seen a live woman- Women don't carry anything in their pockets! The only exception is teenagers with a cell phone.

Krisi
03-28-2014, 08:19 AM
A woman would carry a purse. What look are you going for?

Jaylyn
03-28-2014, 08:32 AM
Well I have a very small purse just for my makeup..... Though my wife carries a purse that weighs a ton that should have wheels so she can drag it around. It's no wonder women get back aches. I'm not out but she sometimes says grab my purse for me especially if we are in the jeep and she has it in the back seat. I usually respond with when are we going to buy a trailer, she answers what for? I say to carry your dang purse around on. I'd put a winch on the trailer..... She has every thing in it that she could possibly need. I've seen lots of real women carry big purses. The younger gals I've noticed carry maybe a drivers license, and cell phone in their tight jeans hip pocket.

mechamoose
03-28-2014, 08:39 AM
My wife would give me some grief over the habit of putting my wallet in my back pocket. Her: "It puts this big lump in the middle of something nice to look at!"

Since swapping over to girl jeans though.. wow.. what a difference. The pockets are SO SMALL. I can't even really keep my keys in my pockets. I keep my wallet in my coat now anyway, trusting my wife's assessment that I have a nice ass. :)

I haven't picked up a purse or bag yet. I get away with stocking a lot of stuff in my work backpack.

Rhonda Darling
03-28-2014, 09:22 AM
Money clip???? Screams "I'm a guy", in my humble opinion. Jennifer and others are spot on. Girls/women don't put things in their pockets. The ONLY exceptions I've noticed are: Jeans - cell phone in back pocket when not glued to the ear; when clubbing, ID and credit card in other back pocket. Beyond that, purse, clutch, wrist purse, shoulder bag, or coat pockets OR, wait for it . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . boy friend's or husband's pockets -- are the only choices.

Rhonda

stephNE
03-28-2014, 09:25 AM
When I'm out in femme, nothing goes in the pockets. Besides, I love carrying a purse. Just sayin'

Cheryl T
03-28-2014, 10:11 AM
Purse for sure. I carry way too many things to ever think of fitting them in pockets.
Besides, most pants pockets on slacks or skirts are far too shallow to really hold anything.

Eryn
03-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Purse in both modes! Girl mode: nothing in pockets. Boy mode: smartphone in left front pocket, keys in right. This is for convenience at work so my purse can stay locked in my desk. GGs do the same at my work.

KaceyR
03-28-2014, 11:25 AM
The only thing I've done is pocket a single small item (chap stick,etc) - nothing in back pockets. Wallet stayed in coat.
That's when mixing modes (femme jeans and such when male). But otherwise it's purse when full femme.
I also have an iPhone case with wrist strap, enclosures for cards and license,etc...
Not really good enough for any money though. Keep thinking I need something middle-of-line between that and purse.
Would still like to be able to have it hold a lipstick and powder for touch ups. Especially for when it warms up...

Martha G
03-28-2014, 11:34 AM
OK girls! You win!

This girl will use purses rather than pockets.

Thanks for the advise.

carhill2mn
03-28-2014, 02:07 PM
I love the act of putting the shoulder strap of my purse over my shoulder. A purse (not a handbag) just feels right to me.

Beverley Sims
03-28-2014, 02:57 PM
Handbag or purse....
Too much crap for pockets......

That's not a ladylike comment is it?

Oh well, big bag, lotsa crap!

KimberlyJean
03-28-2014, 06:19 PM
Purse here! I hate things in my pockets.