PDA

View Full Version : The Hour Glass Figure

melissacd
01-11-2006, 10:41 AM
This article that is not really cross dressing specific but it is just fun and interesting. I am sure there are many a cross dresser who want a more passable figure when they are dressed. Enjoy...

Article===============

Darren Devine, Western Mail

SCIENTISTS are to study how clothing can affect the appearance of the female rear.

Women everywhere are apparently hoping the research will make the age-old question, "Does my bum look big in this?" redundant.

They will simply be able to avoid those clothes that accentuate the size of their backsides and opt for fabrics that give their posteriors the shape and appearance they have always longed for.

And men are now able to look forward to the day when they will be spared the ordeal of tip-toeing around a subject more likely to end in disharmony and strife than your average round of Arab/ Israeli peace negotiations.

But there is a crucial point the researchers are missing. Men like curves. They are a sign of health and represent a much more realistic shape for young women to aspire to than the stick-thin supermodel form.

Beyond the cocooned world of fashion journalism that has spawned a generation of anorexic teenagers with its deification of stick insect supermodels the sickly-thin look has few admirers.

And let's not forget these are the people who tried to persuade us
that "heroin chic" was attractive.

Greying, pallid skin pulled tight over gaunt cheekbones is a look that only the dead should wear.

It wasn't that long ago, of course, that the media offered conceptions of the ideal female form that some women had at least a shred of hope of achieving and men actually found sexy.

Forty years or so ago the iconic female image was the hourglass figure - represented by women like Marilyn Monroe, Sophia Loren and Jayne Mansfield.

The hourglass has not entirely disappeared as an image of vital femininity, but it has long since lost out to the angular and abrupt form of the supermodel as the female ideal.

Today's torchbearers for the hourglass are the likes of Jennifer Lopez, Beyonc Knowles and Charlotte Church.

Indeed Beyonc and Ms Lopez have become global superstars not by attempting to conceal, but celebrating their more ample posteriors.

How bizarre then that Charlotte Church ends up as a better role model for teenage girls than the fashion icons adorning the pages of Vogue.

But better your happy and healthy teenage daughter vomits after the occasional night ofexcess than your vulnerable and disturbed daughter throws up because she wants to starve herself half to death.

And there is medical evidence to suggest women with hourglass figures are healthier - research has shown women with this body shape are more likely to become pregnant.

Last year a study looking at 119 Polish women published in the Royal Society Journal Proceedings B said women with large breasts and narrow waists have higher hormone levels.

The researchers led by Dr Grazyna Jasienska of Harvard University, said the hour-glass figure is popular in Western cultures, but not in others across the world.

She said, "However, in Western societies, the cultural icon of Barbie as a symbol of female beauty seems to have some biological grounding."

The question women should be asking then is not, "Does my bum look big in this?" But instead, "Does my bum look big enough in this?"

Symbol of beauty

THE hourglass figure became the dominant symbol of female beauty in the 19th century, when it replaced conceptions of feminine allure dating back to the Middle Ages and the Renaissance.

These were focused on the belly as a symbol of fertility, but such a bold emphasis on female sexuality presented problems for the prudish Victorians.

With the area expanded by childbirth, the waist, flattened, the hourglass figure was viewed by the Victorians as less overtly sexual than the belly-orientated imagery of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance.

But sexuality was far from being entirely repressed by the hourglass figure, it was hinted at by the pronounced bosom and hips.

Lissa Stevens
01-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Very interesting Melissa. I know I prefer to look at women with real figures and not that "Heroin Chic" look. :thumbsup:

Aileen
01-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Groucho once made a joke about a well-endowed woman who was said to have an hourglass figure: "Probably the early part of the hour."

Dragster
01-11-2006, 02:17 PM
For me, the ideal female shape is the "hourglass", ample bosom and hips with a real waist in between. When I married her, my wife was so thin (but not "anorexia-thin") that her nick-name was "bones". She didn't meet my "ideal", but was very good looking and attractive, and it was her other characteristics, like her personality, which really attracted me to her, and they still do, even after 36 years.
Naturally, it is also the "hourglass" shape which I aspire to as a CDer, which is why I use a full 38C, and have recently bought a proper corset and learned how to lace it real tight, to almost 30". We are both around 60 now, with a little middle age spread, but probably less than most, so, in spite of diets, our chances of attaining the ideal shape is a pipe dream, but there are more important things in life, like getting her to at least understand my need to CD. I'm working on that, but it's a long slow haul!

Tony