PDA

View Full Version : My first outing ever... "The Bouncing Bomb"

Julie Almoni
03-28-2014, 04:14 PM
I went out to "The Bouncing Bomb" pub in Oakville for the first time ever in my life (!) for their last event on march 22nd. I'm not counting one previous outing to Rocky Horror Picture Show with my wife where there was "plausible deniability" so I wasn't really out of the closet :-) It was weird (in a good way) and overwhelming being out like that for the first time, knowing that everyone would know exactly what I am and I couldn't turn it into a joke or a lost bet or some other remotely plausible excuse, seeing many friendly people just like me and not ashamed.

I was very excited and scared as hell and on the verge of anxiety attack. I only went through it because I decided that I will and I wouldn't respect myself if I had chickened out. Well, that and couple of pints of good local beer helped calm the nerves.

I also had to change and apply makeup in the car, which didn't help to calm me down. So the thrill was there on many levels, but I think it's a part of what makes it exciting. I was scared to go but just couldn't miss such an opportunity, I knew I would regret it very much if I wouldn't go...

It was weird and wonderful. I got myself quite a few compliments on my dress, boots and general appearance, which I liked. I'm not good at mingling, especially in these circumstances, so I barely remember anyone I met and forgot all the names in all the excitement, and I could only initialize a conversation a couple of times, but others were very friendly and introduced themselves to me.

I'm pretty sure I will go there again next time I can...

I also had to pick a name for me "en femme" in a hurry :-) So I picked a first name that I liked that none of our friends and family had. So Julie it is :-) No I have to rename my username in this forum somehow... I think only admin can do that...

Julie. Or should it be Julia?

Jenniferathome
03-28-2014, 04:24 PM
Well Julie, congratulations. Seems like climbing Everest when you start out the door, eh? What will be most striking in the future is how you forget you are even dressed. Take care,

DW
03-28-2014, 04:24 PM
Glad you had a good time! I haven't made it to "Gurls night Out" yet, but hope to someday.
I have met (other places), many of the people that attend, and they are great people!

Lillyasia
03-28-2014, 04:26 PM
Congratulations on making it through with your planned outing. That self-doubt is overwhelming and can paralyze you, but once you get out and see how normal things can be you will want to do it more and more. Have fun.

ChristinaK
03-28-2014, 07:18 PM
It's my fantasy to go to a club. Once there, I would ONLY be identified as a woman. A guy would ask me to dance and I would refuse. I would observe his roving eye. I would walk around, catching the glances of both men and women as they saw me as a sexy woman. I would converse and have a great time as Christina. The ultimate approval of my female existence.

You, on the other hand, have experienced that and have my absolute admiration for both your bravery and perseverance. Congrats, and good luck in the future.

Alice B
03-28-2014, 07:22 PM
Julie, I also congratulate you on your first excursion out by yourself. Know the feeling well, but now you've done it and realize it is easy and fun.

Tracii G
03-28-2014, 07:38 PM
Congrats Julie.

julia marie
03-28-2014, 07:45 PM
Sounds like a great night. Congrats

Eryn
03-28-2014, 07:46 PM
Julie, congratulations on getting out the door and having such a good time on your first outing!

Regarding your name, now is the time to consider carefully. Julie might be "you." but you have a great opportunity to think about it before you you become known to too many people by your femme name.

franlee
03-28-2014, 08:32 PM
Congrats! A new door opens.

sara70morgan
03-28-2014, 08:57 PM
Fantastic and exciting. I like Julie, but they are both nice.
Sara

Julie Almoni
03-28-2014, 09:09 PM
Thank you all for your kind words. Can't wait for the next time...

heellover
03-28-2014, 10:37 PM
Glad you had a great time Julie!
I was there too!
If I recall right you were the one in the black dress at the end of the bar closest to the door.
You did look fantastic!

Hope to go again myself sometime soon,
and hope to see you there too!

Natasha

Camille15
03-28-2014, 10:42 PM
Congrats on your outing! It sounds like a lot of fun and a big step for you! Pictures?

Julie Almoni
03-28-2014, 11:11 PM
Glad you had a great time Julie!
I was there too!
If I recall right you were the one in the black dress at the end of the bar closest to the door.
You did look fantastic!

Thanks, yes, that was me. I hope to go there again soon, probably in May.

VAWyman
03-28-2014, 11:41 PM
Congratulations Julie. I'm so glad for you. Hope you are able to go out again soon.

Adriana Moretti
03-29-2014, 12:09 AM
sounds like somebody had fun!!!!!!! good for you!!!!

Suzanne F
03-29-2014, 02:00 AM
Julie
Way to go! It only gets better!

Hugs
Suzanne

KayleeDahl
03-29-2014, 06:20 AM
Congratulations Julie! thats a big step, but doesnt end up being half as scary as we think it will.

Hugs

I Am Paula
03-29-2014, 07:45 AM
Isn't getting out and about great?
I don't know where you are in relation to Oakville, but in Cambridge we have a monthly get together that is just getting going and needs support. So far it's only TS girls, but open to anyone. It's in a nice safe LBGT bar, and a great place to sit and discuss issues of interest to all.
If this is any interest P.M. me, and check out their website info@sizzle.com-Cheers

MsVal
03-29-2014, 11:46 AM
As a member of the Stay At Home Club, I want to thank you for the great trip report.

Best wishes
MsVal

Beverley Sims
03-30-2014, 12:34 PM
I like Julie,
Julia sounds a bit informal.
I would also pick a family name as well.
Good to see you get out and all those at "the stay at home club"..
Give it a try if you can.

Alice Torn
03-30-2014, 01:37 PM
You have more bravery than i do. I think myself right out of going to a club, each time so far, but, I really do not like bars, because of the alcohol, and people intoxicated, and raw noise. i want to do it at least just once, though, to get the monkey off my back. Great first time for you! That took overcoming a lot of fears.

sarahhayes
04-07-2014, 04:12 PM
That sounds amazing. How on earth did you pluck up enough courage to walk into the bar. I could not see myself ever having that kind of evening!

BLUE ORCHID
04-07-2014, 04:36 PM
Hi Julie, You are out there now there's no turning back.

samantha rogers
04-07-2014, 05:47 PM
So happy for you, Julie! Isnt it soooo much fun?

Heather-Hill
04-08-2014, 07:22 AM
Julia, I think this name sounds more sophisticated and girlie in equal measures !
Anyhow, I would love to have a chance to go out en femme now that I am retired. The only other times were decades ago when I was staying in hotels on company jobs or courses and frequently ventured out to shops or sites of interest en femme.

Yes I was scared too and now I don't particularly care but my wife is totally against it, even when I wanted to rejoin the local TG/TV group meetings.

This thread has brought a possibility into my mind.....Rocky Horror show.......that may well break the ice ......Hmmmm :heehee:

Good luck to you,

Hugs and envy from me.
Heather

karyn2000
04-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Going out is fun...TG/CD clubs in any area are a good place to go for outings before going out to any regular public place. It will build your confidence.

Julie Almoni
04-30-2014, 02:00 PM
That sounds amazing. How on earth did you pluck up enough courage to walk into the bar. I could not see myself ever having that kind of evening!

It did take a lot of courage. The event was mentioned on this forum, so I knew it was a safe place where nobody would ridicule me, or at least any problems would not be likely to happen. Still it was tough to go through with it, but once I committed it was easier because I would tell myself that I never chicken out of anything that I decided to do, I wouldn't respect myself otherwise. I have given a lot of thought to this decision and I can't give up now without hating myself for it. This thought helped me to go through with it.

I also was prepared for it to be a fiasco, feeling too weird or not liking people or atmosphere there, being laughed at for any reason (voice, dress, passability, whatever) - that would also be a (negative) result. Maybe even cure my desire to go out :-) Turned out it was a positive result, so I'm not cured :-)