PDA

View Full Version : A stormy night mission

franlee
03-29-2014, 06:36 AM
Here it is approximately 5am and my wife and I are awakened by the large thunder storm line moving through. The lightening was flashing so that it lite our room with the curtains pulled shut, the boom from the thunder was alarming too. She asked if I had disconnected the electronics both in the house and at the shop. Of course I hadn't and that was a no-no. I jumped up to put on some clothes but being in a hurry I didn't want to hunt up shorts and socks and genes and boots and a shirt so I fussed about it but got up anyway. There on the hanger was all the clothes I had worn 3 nights ago with my panties and bra hung under the shirt on the hanger. My wife asked me to hurry and disconnect her sewing machine also, and insisted I jump into these clothes and go! I did and within 4 minutes I was in Fran's outfit with knee highs and tennis'. And forms too. As I started to leave I did waste about 20 seconds smearing on her lipstick that was sitting on the edge of the dresser and ran a brush through my hair just enough to get it to lay down. So off I go into the office of the house and disconnect the 2way radios and then out the door in the hard blown rain to the shop where our umbrellas are. Get there wet but not nearly as bad as I was afraid of and got all her equipment and the Armature Radio equipment cut lose. I had been in full display to the highway going out and only one vehicle shined me, but it was pouring now and I had to go back to the house about 80yards. I found one of her umbrellas and waited at the door for a break in the rain that didn't happen. So I lockup as I exit and all the security lights have popped on from my motion on egress. But that's not good enough here comes a string of early traffic and I'm in plain view to all about 35 yards from the road. It did make for a thrill. Now we are sitting here watching tv, her in a gown and me still in nice casual Fran clothes. And it looks as if this is the start of the morning with the weather still rolling.

Sure is nice to get some honest wear and tear out of these clothes instead of just for simple CDing. I do love it when a plan comes together! Even though I didn't figure on this one.

Marcelle
03-29-2014, 06:49 AM
Hi Fran,

Sounds like a stormy moment in both ways . . . lightening storm and lighting Fran up for the world to see. :) I hope you had some warm coffee/tea or hot chocolate after that little adventure.

Hugs

Isha

UNDERDRESSER
03-29-2014, 12:26 PM
Well, glad you got everything sorted and disconnected, (and you didn't catch a bolt) but I have to wonder if a conversation with a neighbour is in the future?

"Who was that I saw leaving/arriving at your place the night of the storm?"

If Thunderstorms are a frequent feature of your area, you can get whole house lightning/surge protection systems.

sometimes_miss
03-29-2014, 06:44 PM
I was advised many years ago that APC uninterruptible power supplies were excellent at stopping lightning strikes (and voltage surges) dead before getting to the delicate electronics. So that's what I use. So far, cheap insurance (you don't need one that will power huge things, just something between the electronics and the wall, because as long as it's plugged in, it will allow enough current to power anything even above the rated wattage). And if you use 802.11n wireless, you have no ethernet connection either to worry about, yet still have decent networking speed.

Beverley Sims
03-30-2014, 11:11 AM
Franlee,
A nice little storm in a teacup, I think you enjoyed yourself. :)