PDA

View Full Version : I need ideas for my presentation

StephanieJ
04-08-2014, 11:30 AM
I have been asked to give a short presentation at an upcoming conference put on by North Star International. I basically just have 10 minutes to share my story, but would love input and ideas on what to (or not to) say. I have a few ideas as well as misgivings about doing it, but I've already agreed...

The organization mostly supports the gay Mormon community but more recently has started including transgendered people. (See northstarlds.org for more info.) It's amazing how few resources there are out there for transgenders and cross dressers. I believe this forum is the best resource in the world and I look forward to promoting our cause in any way I can. Since it seems that a lot of our stories are similar, I pray that I can be a worthy ambassador and look forward to hearing what you all have to offer.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Steph

Annaliese
04-08-2014, 11:44 AM
When you give your story, tell of the acceptance from some and the intolerance from other with in the Mormon Community. You will make a great ambassador for both the gay and transgendered communities. Good luck on your presentation.

Beverley Sims
04-08-2014, 12:29 PM
I think Annaliese has a good point, you could highlight how you could educate the rest of the community to alternate lifestyles and how the church could change with the times.

ronny0
04-08-2014, 12:31 PM
IMO you are in for a rough time.....
This thread might end up as a discussion on religion?

Looking at their web site, it didn't take me long to see this comment.

http://northstarlds.org/about-us/lds-beliefs/
On another occasion, President Hinckley stated:
"“People inquire about our position on those who consider themselves so-called gays and lesbians. My response is that we love them as sons and daughters of God. They may have certain inclinations which are powerful and which may be difficult to control. Most people have inclinations of one kind or another at various times. If they do not act upon these inclinations, then they can go forward as do all other members of the Church. If they violate the law of chastity and the moral standards of the Church, then they are subject to the discipline of the Church, just as others are. “We want to help these people, to strengthen them, to assist them with their problems and to help them with their difficulties. But we cannot stand idle if they indulge in immoral activity, if they try to uphold and defend and live in a so-called same-sex marriage situation. To permit such would be to make light of the very serious and sacred foundation of God-sanctioned marriage and its very purpose, the rearing of families” (Gordon B. Hinckley, “What Are People Asking about Us?” Ensign, November 1998, 70)."

IMO their out to try to convert everyone to the letter of the church as they define it.
If you can't or won't follow their point of view, you are no longer accepted?

Kate Simmons
04-08-2014, 12:44 PM
I guess it would depend on whether you are willing to subject yourself to the discipline of one body of people or another. My view is that every person is a unique individual in their own right. Trying to make them fit another mold, no matter how subtle is just difficulty waiting to happen. When we get on the track of appreciating everyone for who they are and their contribution to humanity then we are moving forward and accomplishing something positive.:)

Katey888
04-08-2014, 02:41 PM
I admire your optimism Steph.. :) I really do...

If I was in your position I think I'd focus on the generic principles of acceptance and understanding - and how TG folk may suffer more from a lack of the latter because few people really understand that this is about gender rather than sexuality and little is really known about why we are the way we are.

But I also think Ronny's called this one right - when you see clear statements that use the word 'doctrine' over and over again, you know you're up against a somewhat immoveable object... but I wish you well all the same... be interesting to hear back from you on what reception you get... :hugs:

And Bev: "...how the church could change with the times." Did you really write that or did you get a ghostwriter in? :eek: If so, you might want to hire a new one... ;)

Katey x

Rachelakld
04-08-2014, 03:13 PM
For me I would chat also on "choice".
My dad always said, everyone has a "Choice", recently his brain underwent some change and he can no longer control his thoughts or desire to die.
I've many young friends who are diagnosed as depressed, some have managed to kill themselves - they also do not have a choice.
While God gave Adam a choice, and modern man can chose their hair or eye colour, what drugs to enjoy, how much beer, and God gave us the choice of who to hate or dislike.
God didn't give us any choice.

I would then go in to the Pro's, like more empathetic, more maternal, more caring, less prone to hate or anger, like a woman but equally capable of pulling their weight with manly chores

Hell on Heels
04-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Have you seen the thread on the forum " A Ted Talk " ? That's not the full title but if you put that into a forum search it will come up. It contains a link to a you-tube video where a very pretty TS model gives a speech about gaining her acceptance and the TG community as well. She is very articulate and gives a great speech. Everyone should watch it if you get a chance. I'm sure you can pick up some ideas from it.
Much Love ,
Kristyn

StephanieJ
04-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Thank you all for your comments.

Kristin,
I watched the Ted Talk and am officially a fan of Geena Rocero. Interesting side note is that I actually served a mission in the Philippines where she is from. Transgender people, called bacla, are very common over there and are readily accepted. A few years ago there was even a straight Filipino recording artist who wrote a song called "Hindi Ako Bakla". (See it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjlFh5NtZxU)

The ending line says, "Hindi ako baklat... Babae ako." Which means, " I'm not transgendered… I'm a woman." :o

Katey,
I think you are right about keeping it generic and I don’t expect any religion to change to suite me. It just so happens that where I am right now fits in just fine with my religion. In fact I feel like I relate really well to people who are religious as well as those who are not. My only point is that being religious is a choice, but being trans is not. What we do with it is something we all have to decide for ourselves.

Annaliese,
This is a good opportunity to bring the trans community and the Christian community a little closer together. I believe that if I were sexually active that there would be grounds for disciplinary action, but I don't do that. Women in our church do not hold the priesthood so if I transitioned, I would do doubt be stripped of my priesthood, I have no problem with that. I'm not saying that I would never consider it or that I blame those who do, it's just that for now, I feel like it’s not my path.

Ultimately, what I wear around the house, or which clothing isle I shop in probably has nothing to do with my eternal salvation. One day, if I live a good life, perhaps God will resurrect me as a woman or at least make me one of his androgynous angels. Until then we should all recognize that even for Christians, there is no sin in being trans and that's the message I hope to convey.

I'll post a rough draft of my presentation once I have it written.

Thanks again,
Steph

Helen_Highwater
04-08-2014, 07:22 PM
I always find it's useful in these types of situations to ask questions of the audience. Having explained that for most CD's this is nothing to do with sex ask them to consider where any immorality lies. Make them think. Make them do some of the work. Women wear trousers so why can't men wear skirts? In some parts of the world men wear sarongs, I.e. a long skirt. Perhaps challenge the men present to go and, within the privacy of their own homes, try wearing a skirt (suggest they get their wife's permission first). The don't knock it till you've tried it approach.

BLUE ORCHID
04-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Hi Stephanie, Give a timeline about your dressing and how it affected your life and that of your family.

StephanieJ
04-08-2014, 11:09 PM
It is interesting that a majority of us seem to have a similar timeline and I will probably talk about that. There is usually a realization at a very young age... A lot of self doubt and finally discovery of others (usually on the internet). Usually a lot of confusion and ultimately acceptance.

I also want to be completely honest about what I am. I don't consider it cross dressing when women wearing pants or when men wear a sarong. I'll look them straight in the eye and tell them that I want to be female. That doesn't have to make me unworthy or even unhappy. Some people wish they were taller or thinner or stronger. Some of these things can be changed and some cannot. So just smile, recite the serenity prayer and move on.

Sophie Yang
04-09-2014, 06:27 AM
Have you seen the thread on the forum " A Ted Talk " ? That's not the full title but if you put that into a forum search it will come up. It contains a link to a you-tube video where a very pretty TS model gives a speech about gaining her acceptance and the TG community as well. She is very articulate and gives a great speech. Everyone should watch it if you get a chance. I'm sure you can pick up some ideas from it.
Much Love ,
Kristyn

Here is the link: http://www.upworthy.com/at-the-height-of-her-success-this-model-chose-to-share-a-very-private-affair-with-us?c=upw1

Annaliese
04-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Stephanie I wish I could be there to give you support, when you said it a choose to be religious, but it not a choose to be Trans. Good luck girl.