PDA

View Full Version : Limited Vision

CindySTJ
04-09-2014, 08:09 PM
Did something new today. Decided to see how much more comfortable I would be if I could not see other people looking at me or watching from a distance. Got all dressed up except wore my glasses and went to walmart. In the parking lot I took of my glasses so I could only see about 3 feet in front of me and went in and did some shopping. It was so much more relaxing since I did not know who was looking or not looking as I have found out.

BLUE ORCHID
04-09-2014, 08:44 PM
Hi Cindy, I have some shaded and reflective lens glasses that I can hide behind.

kimdl93
04-09-2014, 08:45 PM
If it works, that's great. Didn't it make shopping a challenge though?

CindySTJ
04-09-2014, 08:56 PM
I wasn't hiding, everyone else was. that is what made it fun. I did not make decisions based on what I saw but just like I normally would . I did not choose a line because of who what in it or working the counter, I could not tell until I got right up to them.

Think about what store I was in...Wal Mart LOL most of us could shop there with a blindfold on. Besides once I got up to the aisle I could see the products.

RenneB
04-09-2014, 09:08 PM
I do the same on a regular basis. I have about 20/10 vision with is corrected by a pair of "progressive" lenses. Basically everything is in focus up to about 5 feet away. After that, without the glasses, it's all a blur. So most of the time, I'll wear a pair of cheap sunglasses from the parking lot to the store, flip the sunglasses on top of my head once I get in and then walk around. When I need to actually see where things are, I'll then pull out the prescription glasses and wear them.

Even though I endured the eye doctor's office getting a pair of girly specs, I don't wear them that much when I'm out and about. Okay, I need them for driving, but other than that, I'll just carry them in my hand...

It's kind of like being a little invisible. That is, if you can't see their eyes, you mind thinks that they can't see you...

Nice to hear I'm not the only one that does this.....

Renne.....

Beverley Sims
04-10-2014, 12:52 AM
I personally wouldn't do that, if I had restricted vision.

I have a "vision" and I like to see where I may step wrong. :)
Who cares who looks as long as I don't know them.

Marcelle
04-10-2014, 04:31 AM
When I first started going out I never looked up . . . same logic . . . if I don't look at others staring at me and pointing then they don't exist. However, I got tired of running into things. So I decided to look up and to lock gaze with all those lookie-loos. Guess what . . . nobody was really staring. The odd person gawked (a lady running into a rack of dresses while staring at me, springs mind) but for the most part people glanced and moved on. Cognitively we (humans) process big picture when we are surrounded by large amounts of stimuli (i.e., people in a mall/store/on the street). Specifically we look for cues . . . long hair, girl clothes, purse . . . woman; short hair boy clothes, lumbering walk . . . man. Unless we have cause for closer inspection (i.e., something catches our eye . . . bright colours come to mind) we will process big picture and move on. Think about when you are in a mall "en boy" minding your own business, do you stare and process every detail of each person who you pass?

Hugs

Isha

Krisi
04-10-2014, 07:53 AM
Walking around without your glasses (if you need glasses) is a good way to trip and fall, walk into someone or some thing and make a spectacle of yourself.

A better plan is to get female styled glasses (tinted if you wish) and not worry about who is looking at you. If they don't know you, why would it matter.

Katey888
04-10-2014, 11:55 AM
Cindy - if it works for you, well done!

I think I'd rather be aware of potential pitfalls... I have a bit of a long history of falling over things even though I've got perfect vision - last thing I'd want to do is fall over some small child, or a pushchair, or something equally embarrassing - and definitely not when trying my best to be feminine and elegant and graceful... doesn't bear thinking about... :eek:

And Krisi - you get Pun of the Month with this... I hope it was intentional.. :)

Walking around without your glasses (if you need glasses) is a good way to trip and fall, walk into someone or some thing and make a spectacle of yourself.

Katey x

ClaireCole
04-10-2014, 12:04 PM
I'd do this if I had glasses actually, although I'm way clumsy so I'd crash into things.
My issue is that I only have useable vision in my right eye, so doing my eyeliner is almost impossible haha

Melissa_59
04-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Did something new today. Decided to see how much more comfortable I would be if I could not see other people looking at me or watching from a distance. Got all dressed up except wore my glasses and went to walmart. In the parking lot I took of my glasses so I could only see about 3 feet in front of me and went in and did some shopping. It was so much more relaxing since I did not know who was looking or not looking as I have found out.

You could always get some mirror lens sunglasses, like the "Boss With No Eyes" in Cool Hand Luke!

*giggle*

~Mel

Kate Simmons
04-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Nah, specs and contacts should be worn when needed to avoid potential problems. Otherwise we may end up like that dude on "F Troop" who couldn't see squat. :heehee::)

CindySTJ
04-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Thanks Renne, It was really interesting and relaxing to just be my self just like I would in male mode. I also wanted to wear my really cute sunglasses in to the store. I was fully dressed and sometimes after going out now several dozen times you need to do something a little more exciting.

sanderlay
04-11-2014, 09:49 PM
Interesting technic... :)

When I go out I do what I call putting on blinders. Basically I just focus my attention on where I'm going and just glance with my eyes at people. It's kind of like selective vision. I just glance and quickly shift attention, glance and again quickly shift attention. Again that glance is with my eyes and not my face turning so I don't draw undo attention to myself. So it's possible if you train yourself to see what you want and ignore the rest. Also I keep my head up and try to keep a smile on my face. If someone smiles at me I widen my smile for a moment, as I look in their direction, and keep going.

And it is very true that most people are more interested in their own issues than looking at you. The odd looks I might see are usually few and far between. :D

Karren H
04-11-2014, 10:14 PM
Personally I actually enjoy people observing me! Its quite entertaining to see their reactions when they figure it out!

paulawilder
04-11-2014, 11:52 PM
I've purchased female glasses so I can go out, and drive legally but still look good. I've also tried contacts but I like the fem glasses better. It was interesting buying female glasses in male mode - puzzled looks, but no direct questions.

CindySTJ
04-13-2014, 11:22 PM
After I went to wal-mart, I did wear my glasses inside to McDonalds to get my breakfast and then was wearing my glasses as I filled my car at the gas station.