PDA

View Full Version : Has Facebook replaced your chat?

JenniferYager
04-12-2014, 10:09 PM
I remember back in the days of dial up internet when AIM and ICQ chat were what everyone used. Nowadays I find less people use that and more use Facebook. But, as someone in the closet, I wouldn't go on Facebook as Jenny (especially not with all the privacy issues Facebook has).

So question for everyone: have you given up on chat completely? Do you use Facebook and just watch your privacy settings? Do you have two Facebook accounts? Or are you on chat? Or do you not use chat, and if so why?

Personally, I'm on Skype. I've used the free chats on transgender sites, but too many are focused on sex, so my chatting ends up being very small.

Tina G
04-12-2014, 10:31 PM
I use facebook a lot to keep up with friends and family, and i don't have 2 accounts setup but have started coming out to long time friends the past week and it's been very positive so far. Friends have been extremly supportive if it makes me happy.

Melissa73
04-13-2014, 12:07 AM
i use facebook... 1 as my male self and 2nd as melissa. and i dont keep any same friends,(and male page has only family).

Zylia
04-13-2014, 03:41 AM
I use Facebook (a second profile) and simply hope for the best :D I try to feed either profile with as little information as possible anyway.

Alexis.j
04-13-2014, 04:10 AM
I only have a female facebook page. Its very dangerous if you have both profiles and wish to keep them totally seperate/private(I would say close to impossible!).
There are many ways facebook acomplishes the link... even if you have completely different names.
Me, I dont care if it slips( I try my best to keep it away from friends and family though)

Just this morning I noticed a link between two peoples profiles. Wasnt looking, but you just notice it...

KaceyR
04-13-2014, 04:43 AM
I've not really used a chat thing much anymore. I do have 2 FB profiles though, one for Kacey and other for male self. (Kacey's FB is what I put for my website in profile here) But as family already knows and most friends about Kacey, I have friended some across both. My male fb page is flooded with 'friends' due to doing a lot of gaming,etc awhile back.. (The Zynga curse :)) So anyone looking at friends lists would be rough to correlate.
I also do have Skype...but really only have used that just to talk back with mom. Not that I wouldn't mind using that more, but then I'd have to probably keep my apartment cleaner.. :)

Michelle (Oz)
04-13-2014, 04:43 AM
I remember ICQ well plus others like MSN. Nowadays I use Facebook (femme profile) but not prolific. Fun to link up with some friends (GG and CD) from my ever expanding femme world.

Beth Wilde
04-13-2014, 04:54 AM
I'm on FB but being fairly well known it's not an issue for me. I have some friends who are friends with my male side too.... It is possible to set up a FB account which is viewable only by you and people you are friends with and also make it secure browsing (and private using your browsers privacy settings). It will still pickup info to offer you targetted ads within FB but then doesn't leak info back out!

Deedee Skyblue
04-13-2014, 06:02 AM
(especially not with all the privacy issues Facebook has)

Facebook doesn't believe in privacy of any kind, so facebook doesn't have a privacy issue. Facebook's problem is that users have a totally unreasonable fixation about privacy...

I originally used Compuserve and started learning about CD in the Human Sexuality forum as deedee(tv). These days, for the little chatting I do, I do use Facebook. I generally delete the complete conversation when I leave FB.

Deedee

Raychel
04-13-2014, 06:39 AM
Back in the day, I used chat groups, now it is just this forum,
or I do chat with a friend or my sister with Facebook. but that is all
I don't chat with anyone else on Facebook.

BLUE ORCHID
04-13-2014, 06:49 AM
Hi Jenn, The whole idea of Facebook scares the $#!+ out of me !

Ava Tryptyk
04-13-2014, 11:25 AM
I use Facebook for my male persona and Fetlife for my female persona. For me it's a convenient way to keep things separate.

Katey888
04-13-2014, 11:55 AM
I think you've said this before...

Hi Jenn, The whole idea of Facebook scares the $#!+ out of me !

And I'm pretty much with you 100%... :)

If it's not an active tool of the NSA and GCHQ it's a conduit to the Russian mafia or FSB... :eek: might be both - best left alone....

I 'chat' on here or I email friends...

Katey x

Trinity Sue
04-13-2014, 11:56 AM
I use Trinity Sue here. Sue though alone has a Facebook Yahoo and Instant Messenger accounts. Sue has been my original and I even kept the name after I went through the denial phase cancelling all contacts for 15 yrs.

mechamoose
04-13-2014, 01:37 PM
Facebook has been polluting my feed with junk. I do FB to keep in touch with my kids, nothing else

Eryn
04-13-2014, 02:12 PM
These days there are probably a dozen currrently-popular ways to chat with text.

There's something called a "tyranny of choice." When confronted with too many choices many people opt to choose none at all.

This pretty much describes me. I don't want to go about setting up an account, develop relationships, and then find that whatever service I'm using has become "yesterday's news" like Myspace or Friendster.

Loni
04-13-2014, 02:46 PM
any company that states they are going into your hard drive to get any information they want,

is to be avoided.

got online banking? account numbers
ever buy anything online? cc numbers
passwords? need i say more.

face book get's it all.

JenniferYager
04-14-2014, 10:38 PM
Katey, your comment made me think of this:

CIA's Facebook program dramatically cut agency costs
http://www.theonion.com/video/cias-facebook-program-dramatically-cut-agencys-cos,19753/

Beverley Sims
04-16-2014, 06:08 AM
This is the only social network I am on, if this goes pear shaped, Beverley goes home. :)

Robertacd
04-16-2014, 08:56 AM
I use facebook but not as Roberta. I chatted a few time back in the day on IRC, and other forums chatrooms but small talk with strangers really does not do it for me and I spent most of my time saying nothing. I never felt part of the clique that most busy chatrooms always seem to have.

Zylia
04-16-2014, 12:51 PM
This is the only social network I am on, if this goes pear shaped, Beverley goes home. :)
Speaking of which, I think we need a official or unofficial cd.com facebook group so we can find each other when the forum goes south (again).

Adriana Moretti
04-16-2014, 02:02 PM
good idea zylia ! how can we do that?

Madie
04-16-2014, 02:25 PM
I use facebook for family and very close friends, and then twitter for other friends/everyone else.
Then of course there's phone texts..Social media is a big part of modern life these days unfortunately, it's becoming main source of communication and cutting it all out is not an option to stay in the loop.

Zylia
04-16-2014, 02:32 PM
good idea zylia ! how can we do that?
I think you can just make one, but I don't know if the CD.com staff is cool with it if they don't control it themselves.

JenniferYager
04-16-2014, 09:09 PM
What about for those of us not using Facebook? Could we put together a Skype group? It would be easier to control the privacy.

Jennifer Kelly
04-16-2014, 10:59 PM
I have two Facebook accounts and I'm very careful about the privacy settings on my female one and always use the two accounts in different browsers (and the female one in incognito mode as well so it doesn't keep any cookies or history or anything). I also blocked my male profile from my female one, as well as blocking my girlfriend and sister just in case.

erickka
04-17-2014, 05:19 AM
I don't use ANY on line stuff whatsoever. My business is my business and if I want someone to know, I'll pick up a LANDLINE! I don't use the internet for anything of a personal nature, since almost everything is vulnerable to hackers.

JazT95
04-17-2014, 05:55 AM
I've been thinking about getting a femme FB account for a while. Maybe I'll get around to it eventually.

And as Zylia says, you can really easily make a group, and set it too closed so no one else can see. I can't imagine why the staff here would be to bothered about it, but even if there were, you can give them control of the group just by giving them admin responsibilities.

Zylia
04-17-2014, 08:45 AM
I don't know Jaz, maybe it's already there? :battingeyelashes:

AndreaCD1963
04-17-2014, 09:08 AM
I use Facebook. Two different accounts, and I'm very cautious to try and ensure there is no crossover between them (no friends in common etc. even though some of my friends could easily be on both accounts). I also try to check my friends friend-list to ensure that there wouldn't be any accidental outing that way either. I also use two different browsers (he uses Chrome, I use Firefox) to help prevent any accidental mixing of the accounts due to cookies etc. For mobile, he uses the smart phone while I use the IPad. I also have my own email address, so if I am chatting with someone and want to make it more private, then they can email me directly, not him.

Oh, and I do accept Facebook friend requests from members here :-)

Adriana Moretti
04-17-2014, 04:17 PM
hope this is allowed on here ....here is my facebook if you want to linky link

https://www.facebook.com/adriana.moretti.334