PDA

View Full Version : shopping trip courage

Erica3
04-15-2014, 08:42 AM
Ok so the other day I was coming home from a meeting and always pass right by this large mall that i know has a wig store in it. there was a car accident and I said screw it im going shopping.

I went in to the mall and passed the wig store 4 or 5 times before I decided to go in. Im still in between being a blonde or brunette but I fell in love w/ a blonde wig. I asked the store clerk If i could purchase it. She asked, "is it a gift for someone" I got very nervous and said, "no its for me." she shot a weird glance at me and didnt talk the rest of the time. Oh well, who cares.

Now I was feeling on cloud 9 so I walked to the next store which was an all womens shoes store. I saw a pair of 4" slingbacks that I liked. I guessed my size and proceeded to the checkout. As the male clerk was ringing them up. I said hold on let me try these on real quick. He looked at me weird and said ok. I sat down on a bench and took off my sneakers. I put the heels on and walked around a bit to make sure they were good. A very attractive girl working at the store said they were very cute and I should get them. I bought the shoes and left the mall.

This was a very big outing for me and I cant wait to start shopping en femme.

Thanks for listening,

Erica

Dana921
04-15-2014, 09:06 AM
Congratulations Erica!

I still remember my first time getting things while presenting as a guy and how nervous I was! I do hope you get to shop enfemme, because that is yet another great experience!

JazT95
04-15-2014, 09:11 AM
Massive props to you! What you did took serious courage, and the fact you just took it in your stride and were very open about it makes it even more impressive. :) x

Nadine Spirit
04-15-2014, 09:20 AM
Congratulations.

Try not to read too much into the "weird" looks. For me I have found the more comfortable I have become the less weird looks that I get. So much so that I now kind of think maybe the weird looks I used to get actually started with me.

Relax. You have money, stores want money. Spend your money on whatever it is you want to.

Enjoy.

Melissa in SE Tn
04-15-2014, 09:23 AM
Hooray for Erica!!! You're on your way to being you. Peace, mel

Jenniferathome
04-15-2014, 09:27 AM
Nadine has it right. She's the master shopper. Actually the idea that a wig store employee has never run in to a cross dresser is astounding.

IngeInCO
04-15-2014, 09:27 AM
BuyBuyBuy

You are a dude

Beverley Sims
04-15-2014, 01:30 PM
Erica,
Good for you, although it is one of the rare times I have heard a negative comment about a wig salon SA.

Lexi Moralas
04-15-2014, 02:41 PM
I know how that feels you make I great purchase and just have to tell some one.
Just one more reason I love this forum !

Carmen
04-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Erica it's all downhill from there!
You go girl!

BTW...what was the style of your new hairpeice?

dana digs sweaters
04-15-2014, 03:11 PM
Good for you Erica. We all started somewhere. Enjoy :)

MsVal
04-15-2014, 03:17 PM
I noticed how the boldness grew quite rapidly from driving past the mall every day, to walking past the wig shop three or four times, to walking right in to the shoe store.

Each time you have a win, the challenge seems smaller. One day the only shopping challenge will be size, style, and price, and you will be comparison shopping.

Woo hoo... You go girl.

Best wishes
MsVal

jessica76
04-15-2014, 03:22 PM
I remember my first time buying a pair of heels. I was in guy mode and they were for a costume. Totally exhilarating.

Erica3
04-15-2014, 03:36 PM
its a shoulder length blonde wig. I had a makeover before at a salon and was done up as a brunette but wanted to see the look at a blonde.
Erica it's all downhill from there!
You go girl!

BTW...what was the style of your new hairpeice?

Lorileah
04-15-2014, 03:40 PM
I think I gave a guy whiplash today. Weird looks make me smile

Erica3
04-15-2014, 03:45 PM
lol maybe someday ill look that good dressed

I think I gave a guy whiplash today. Weird looks make me smile

Sometimes Steffi
04-15-2014, 09:33 PM
Great courage.

I'm at the point that I won't part with my money if the store employees don't act like they want it. Just me.

Aelita Nolan
04-15-2014, 09:50 PM
Great job Erica.
I remember when I first went shopping, I was with a female friend at the time who knew that I was a cross-dresser, but I guess that since she was with me the check out woman didn't any weird looks (or at least I think she didn't*), she just handed the bag to my friend, because I assume she thought the cloths were for her.
*I am classified as legally blind and can't really recognize facial expressions, although I think I may have gotten some weird looks because I, a young man, had a ribbon tied in a bow in my hair at the time.

sara.rafaela
04-15-2014, 10:04 PM
I went to Ann Taylor a few weeks back, dresed in guys clothes, the outfit looked something like Vic from The Shield (minus the belly, I am a runner). I was searching through the sales rack. One of the sale ladies approached me and asked if I would like for her to clear a changing room form me. I thought this was really neat, and the first time this has ever happened. It was sad that I just did not have the time to take her up on the offer.

Eryn
04-15-2014, 11:54 PM
...I fell in love w/ a blonde wig. I asked the store clerk If i could purchase it. She asked, "is it a gift for someone" I got very nervous and said, "no its for me." she shot a weird glance at me and didnt talk the rest of the time.

That was an odd clerk. I'd expect that any wig store would have a few TG customers and should welcome them as they are often quite frequent buyers. Also, I can't imagine a situation where a man would buy a wig as a gift for a woman in his life. That could _really_ be taken the wrong way! :eek:

ClaireCole
04-16-2014, 08:48 AM
Good job!

Shopping as a guy is really nerveracking, I'm always really aware of people looking at me, and I've been known to chicken out and practically run out of shops. But its always good to just buy the stuff you want, and it sounds like you did! I for one am pretty darn comfortable now I've had the practice.

That wig shop fiasco is strange, surely they've come across it before, but oh well, what can you do?