PDA

View Full Version : I like real pic avatars

JennyLynn
04-20-2014, 05:24 PM
Does anyone else like seeing real pics and real avatars? I understand that there are some who are reluctant to post due to privacy issues, but when dressed, who's going to know? I tend to pm and respond to the brave few who post a pic. Am I shallow? Maybe so.

Eryn
04-20-2014, 05:44 PM
I understand that there are some who are reluctant to post due to privacy issues, but when dressed, who's going to know?

Being recognized is a normal concern and I respect those who have that concern. When I first started here I was reluctant to post my picture. I post pictures now, but I'm still reluctant to show a recognizable face because of two concerns:

(1) It is unknown know how good and how widespread the private use of facial recognition software might become. I'm not concerned about the government (they already know everything) but what if employers were to search the web and find a recognizable picture? I'm protected by law from TG discrimination here in California, but that doesn't prevent an employer from doing an end run around the law. if they so decide.

(2) Hey, my face isn't all that attractive. That might actually help my public presentation but I'm no Andrej Pejić!

The main point of posting to this forum is that this is a place where we can all feel, for the most part, welcome and comfortable. If one is comfortable sharing pictures, fine, but this is not a competition and one should not feel any pressure to post pictures.

~Joanne~
04-20-2014, 06:30 PM
Eryn said it all. So I have nothing to add to it as her response was perfect but for the record, my profile picture IS me and my avatar is my feet in my favorite heels ;) Both are real ;)

AlanaG
04-20-2014, 06:36 PM
It's not going to happen for me. I wouldn't pass in a million years. I love the "feeling" of crossdressing, just not how I look.

MissTee
04-20-2014, 06:37 PM
My wife and I have an agreement that I won't post pictures in any form online. That's a boundary in our relationship and I am respecting it. Besides, I don't feel I need to prove anything with a picture. I post here regularly, my wife knows all about it, and we're both content with our choice. That satisfies us both.

To that I will add that I don't feel your preference makes you shallow anymore than mine does me. We've both made a choice and they are just different. That's all. Hugs.

Tracy Hazel Lee
04-20-2014, 06:42 PM
Shallow? No... An avatar is merely a representative 'image'. Nothing more. Sure, I appreciate seeing an actual photo too, but it's not a requirement.

CynthiaD
04-20-2014, 07:11 PM
I used a blank avatar for a long time because all the pictures I took looked really bad. But then one day I took one, and it didn't look so bad ...

Sara Jessica
04-20-2014, 07:13 PM
An avatar choice helps me hear a "voice" in the words I read but I have no right to begrudge anyone in their choice NOT to post their own picture...particularly one which is utterly devoid of any meaningful detail whatsoever.

Lynn Marie
04-20-2014, 07:54 PM
Of course I like picture avatars. To me it lends credence to the posters comments. It's far too easy for anonymous posters to create havoc on the Internet. Unless I feel like I know you, I take what you say with that proverbial grain of salt.

Sometimes Steffi
04-20-2014, 08:38 PM
I think the avatar is "public" and google searchable, while the profile pic is private. For that reason, my avatar is a cartoon, but my profile pic is the real me, but after a most excellent makeover.

carhill2mn
04-20-2014, 08:44 PM
I, too, prefer real photos over "avatars". However, I suppose some people have real concerns that someone would recognize them. However, I think the chances of that happening are very small.

sanderlay
04-20-2014, 08:50 PM
Like Eryn said (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?212821-I-like-real-pic-avatars&p=3493857&viewfull=1#post3493857)... and...

Even though I'm out in the real world I'm not out on the internet. My face is not covered in makeup so the odds dramatically increases the chances of being discovered.

The image I'm using, as of this posting date, is a fictional forest elf. Yes... she looks young and youthful which is how I'd like to look on the female side. Keep in mind I present as Androgynous and I have not found one yet I like yet. :D

FYI: My age is in my profile if you're curious. :)

Tami Monroe
04-20-2014, 08:53 PM
My profile shows my real legs. However, I am not brave enough to post a pic of me otherwise. Perhaps, as time goes on, my inhibitions will disappear.

Taylor Ray
04-20-2014, 08:55 PM
I purged all my photos 3 years ago. I usually regret it at least once a month, but the rest of the time I am happy to maintain my privacy. I had no idea the internet would become so intrusive and non-private as it has the past ten years.

The deal breaker for me was when my cousin, who is 24 years old, told me she was able to utilize her computer skills to locate an old acquaintance we had known who had an online profile at some obscure site. It really seems that the flow of information is becoming public data, and the next generations will be able to literally pull anything out of the ether.

The people I am "out" to would never betray my privacy; but the internet is a wild beast with few rules.

Rachael Leigh
04-20-2014, 08:56 PM
I'm ok with either, I understand not wanting to have a real picture I debated ever posting a picture but felt this was going to be my outlet to be out so to speak even thought I don't really go out in public. So it works for me

Adriana Moretti
04-20-2014, 09:02 PM
i like real pics too they kinda put a name to the face...but i get it and understand why some gals dont...its not that big of a deal to me

Nadine Spirit
04-20-2014, 09:08 PM
I like real pics also. I don't know if it is shallow to like that. Like Adriana said, it helps to put a face to the name. I feel like I know them more.

I can understand why those that don't, don't do it though. It is a very personal choice made for a huge variety of reasons.

Nikki50/50
04-20-2014, 09:31 PM
Some insight. I myself got called out by someone who recognized me from a pic, even dressed with makeup, wig (before my hair grew out), etc...
My response was, itself; a question:
"...and why were YOU on that website?"
The reply to that was stammering and stuttering, case closed.
In short, I side with posting the real pics. Be you, and let it show. Here you are among friends.

ChristinaK
04-20-2014, 09:35 PM
I might someday and would really like to, but, like the others I don't trust the internet so much. I often regret what I write here for fear of being discovered. I believe that's called paranoia! Maybe a pic of my body.

Oh yes, thank you to those that do have a real pic. Very brave and appreciated.

Tracii G
04-20-2014, 09:39 PM
I too like real pics but using another pic doesn't make you any less real IMO.
Just a personal preference thing.

Erica Marie
04-20-2014, 10:42 PM
I fall into the group of those who prefer to put a face with a name. Actually what confuses me is some here who post that the do in fact go out in public dressed yet do not have a profile pic or an avatar. Its hard to separate fact from fiction. I too am leary of posting my pic, but I know I am among friends and feel safe in this community.

Lucy_Bella
04-20-2014, 11:51 PM
I recently took mine off...It was either that or I am off..My state of mind I guess,,,But then again Mine was mild compared to the ones I really wanted to post and in saying that probably a good thing I took it off..

AllieSF
04-21-2014, 12:13 AM
My avatar is a real picture of my shadow. I like it. In my opinion it is not shallow to prefer that someone has a real picture as their avatar. I am me, read my posts, agree, disagree and form your opinion. Someone not believing me because I do not have a facial picture as an avatar is the loser in this case. If they let something like a lack of an avatar shape their opinions, they are really missing out on a lot of very good advice and information. That is their own loss and no one else's.

And for you information what will be said here in this thread can be read in several other older threads just like this one. Just do a search.

PS: Anyone that doubts that I go out real time to real places is most welcome to join me when I go. That will be the real proof in the pudding!

Aylineira
04-21-2014, 12:55 AM
I'm just afraid that my pic may end up somewhere out in some crazy internet site that I never intended. I don't know how to "lock down" pictures to this site only if there is even an option.

Tracii G
04-21-2014, 01:04 AM
LOL Y'all crack me up.

Amanda M
04-21-2014, 01:37 AM
Well, you can see my personal preference - however I can understand that some folks have genuine concerns about their privacy

Drusilla
04-21-2014, 01:49 AM
I will not be adding a photo. I am performing a public service by not traumatizing you all, not a pretty sight. :)

trisha kobichenko
04-21-2014, 01:58 AM
I like both real pic and 'not so real' avatars. i am going with the 'not so real', since my SO is in love with my full grey beard, that I have had for about 40 years now. It's not going away, and certainly inhibits presenting as female. :) Not sure how I would be perceived presenting a dressed avatar...gender bending for sure, but definitely not as attractive as some of the girls I see on this site.

trish

Alexis.j
04-21-2014, 02:12 AM
Its your own choice if you want to have a avatar or profile pic of yourself, but me, personally, I don't really take people all too seriously that don't have pics or hide them. (I know its wrong, but thats just how I feel) . Why even chat online if you are afraid of getting outed, there are many other ways of getting caught, but everyone has there own opinion.
Same with other social media sites, no pics = no acceptance.

And I like seeing the person I am taking/communicating to/with.

trisha kobichenko
04-21-2014, 02:19 AM
no fear of being outed...but I do fear being judged a not very attractive, given the facial hair.

Christen
04-21-2014, 02:21 AM
One day you'll get a real picture, but so far you've not donated enough money :)

Bank details below ..

trisha kobichenko
04-21-2014, 02:22 AM
additionally, how good would you look if I photoshopped a full beard on your avatar and posted it?

Charla McBee
04-21-2014, 03:06 AM
This is my first post in about three years... I'll cover that later elsewhere. Anyway, during my first stint here from 2009-2011 I was firmly in the no pics/anonymous camp but today I am a very different person. A lot can happen in three years (I really can't believe it's been that long since I last posted!) and now I'm leaning towards showing myself. You see, tonight I am wearing all new clothes for the first time in forever save for that trusty pair of heels I bought shortly after joining this site following the madness that ensued from my last ever purge. I've gone further than I ever have with getting all dolled up tonight and I just couldn't help but take some pics albeit with a lousy camera. I'm sure it's that old pink fog making me think I look a lot better than I actually do but I have never been so happy with my CD appearance. This really is the best I've yet managed. The only thing I'm missing is the fake nails I bought for today but never got around to, so maybe I'll take even better pics tomorrow. Maybe I will take lots of pics!

Lately I've been trying really hard to accept myself with immense help from the love of my life and I'm at a point where I think I desperately want to be out. I'm sick of being ashamed and worrying what people think. I'm 27 now which means I've been living in fear and self-loathing for close to 15 straight years and I just want to be done with it. Yet I'm still not quite courageous enough to say to hell with my public image, not quite yet. I'm starting down that path gradually by being a lot more careless. When people talk about us, I speak up. My feminine wardrobe is sitting in my closet instead of hidden away. I went on my biggest shopping spree ever and the first in quite some time this weekend with my SO. I just got my name here changed to something very close to my real name and I intend to become a prolific poster. The next logical step is to throw some real pics out in the ether and if people find them, so be it! I am who I am and I look damn good in this dress!

As far as privacy goes in this age of big brother, I get ads for high heels and even hormone therapy on my facebook page despite using mostly private browsing for anything CD related and never once mentioning it there. Google knows all. I hate that as much as anyone but I think the best way to fight back is to take back control by letting the information out on my own terms.

Some of the girls here look gorgeous, others less so but I was looking at the male mode vs girl mode pics thread today and it really struck me that someone commented that regardless all the girls look so much happier than the guys. People who know my public persona say I never smile. Well, tonight I looked in the mirror and smiled.

noeleena
04-21-2014, 03:16 AM
Hi.

Well youll know what ill say , after you'v been seen by over 3 million people nation wide, and been interviewed for papers as well plus over 287 internet sites, , i think it would be a laugh not to have a photo of my self on the many forums im on apart from very few i cant loadup a photo.

And being so well known hey im not a pretty looking woman so those who think they are not as well , just think i'v done it and i never received a bad press,

...noeleena...

Zylia
04-21-2014, 04:07 AM
My public avatar here and my presence on websites like Facebook are all calculated risks. I'd rather have people finding out and giving me a chance to explain what cross-dressing means to me than having to live like a hermit for the rest of my life.

Actually what confuses me is some here who post that the do in fact go out in public dressed yet do not have a profile pic or an avatar. Its hard to separate fact from fiction.
My thoughts exactly. It's obviously too easy to sign up and make up stuff as you go along. I don't know what the appeal is, but it happens and while I've only been here for a few months, I already 'witnessed' a few of these cases. Maybe I'm shallow, but posting at least one real picture adds a little credibility to one's comments in my opinion. It obviously doesn't hurt me personally if people make stuff up, but then again, I'm not here to read TV fiction.

natcrys
04-21-2014, 06:47 AM
In general, I like pics of the actual people more than just pics of heels, legs and cartoons. There are crossdressing Flickr-streams filled with photos of just about anything except the person in question.

Now, everyone has their own set of circumstances... some really can't afford to be outed.. some don't want to give Google, the NSA or Zuckerberg all the details. But having a "real pic avatar" shows me that someone is ready to show their face. Don't get me wrong.. in a thread, I will read all posts and if I see one that is well-written and I think that it has merit, then I will treat it as such.

The internet is full of fakers and/or people that just want to live out a fantasy, so for me personally, I need actual faces for me to really connect with people. I will always reply to thoughtful messages.. but my time is limited, so for an actual friendship to happen I need to be able have the idea that there is something substantive behind a "name on the Internet".

Pictures go a long way in showing that.. so perhaps I'm shallow in that respect. :p

Audrey34
04-21-2014, 07:07 AM
My avatar is of indeed, myself. I don't get many opportunities to have a portrait pic done. Am I afraid of being outed? Of course I am, who wouldn't. But the chances of anybody knowing what I do and where to find me? Well, my first question to my accuser would be "what are you doing hanging around crossdressing websites, hmmm?"
-Audrey

Ineke Vashon
04-21-2014, 07:18 AM
I agree that having an actual picture in one's avatar is preferable. It helps to be very attractive, like Zylia and Natassia. Yet, some of the finest and most deep thinking posts have been from CDers without an actual face picture.

If I would dress my age, as one is 'supposed' to, you'd see an 80 year old frumpy lady with a big turkey wobble and I just am not quite ready for that. I have promised myself to eventually have a professional make-over done and if it would come out halfway decent I'd post a real picture.

In the meantime, I have live turkeys follow me everywhere, pointing at my turkey wobble and clamoring to know where I got that fabulous "makeover".:D

Ineke

Wildaboutheels
04-21-2014, 08:28 AM
It's well established FACT.

Put up a "better"profile pic at any Dating site and your chances will go up exponentially and your "reception" in the Forums WILL change dramatically. Your most bitter "enemies" may change their entire demeanor just because you throw up a pic that they like. Same thing happens here with Avatars. Friend requests will go up with a "good avatar".

But I think it is rather silly to judge people by their Avatars [or any pics at a Dating site] especially given threads like this http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?211737-Enhance-Photo-thread/page2 and many more similar ones. Funny how quickly some members can forget something they might have just responded to less than a week ago? I'm far more interested in what folks have to say.

I had up a full length, "out in the RW dressed" pic the entire first YEAR I was here [that was impossible to miss] simply as a COURTESY to the Forum Dinos. I replaced it with one that EVERYone liked that lasted for 3 months before vanishing. It was a mystery to the "authorities" and no one would take credit or blame. I put it back up a few months later but it "only lasted" a couple of weeks or so the second time... and vanished at exactly the same instant as... I'm sure it was sheer coincidence.

It's a no brainer really. If you want or need a better "reception" here at this Forum, it makes perfect sense to throw up the "best" avatar one can "create".

There will always be "silly people" at any Forum with tunnel vision who will resolutely claim that ANYone on a Dating site [or here] who CHOOSES to not post pics HAS to be a scumbag/criminal/pervert/is hiding SOMEthing of some sort or just too ugly to post pics. They cannot possibly fathom that not everyone wants or needs to post pics. These type statements just prove beyond any shadow of a doubt, they have little or NO actual experience of meeting others. These same whiners on Dating sites will often whine that many if not most of the women/men that they have met were using very old pics or they show up 6" shorter or 100 pounds heavier than their pics. Or completely bald. I met a number of women who had no pics posted who would be at least 7 or 8s in anyone's book. And never had one bad meet and was never stood up.

If some people can't fathom ANY reason at all why some folks CHOOSE to not have pics up at any "social site"? I think people who think like that tend to see the entire world in black OR white. That's gotta be one tough row to hoe.

Teresa
04-21-2014, 08:32 AM
I know it's taking a risk but I prefer to show the person (OK disguised real person) making the comments and posting threads and I prefer to reply to a real face but I may disappear into anonymity if I'm sussed ! I guess I was lucky being able to take a a decent avatar as a pro photographer.

natcrys
04-21-2014, 09:30 AM
I agree that having an actual picture in one's avatar is preferable. It helps to be very attractive, like Zylia and Natassia. Yet, some of the finest and most deep thinking posts have been from CDers without an actual face picture.

I'll let Zylia speak for herself. First of all, thanks! Secondly, I hope posting a real pic avatar and deep thinking posts are not mutually exclusive. :p

If I would dress my age, as one is 'supposed' to, you'd see an 80 year old frumpy lady with a big turkey wobble and I just am not quite ready for that. I have promised myself to eventually have a professional make-over done and if it would come out halfway decent I'd post a real picture.

In the meantime, I have live turkeys follow me everywhere, pointing at my turkey wobble and clamoring to know where I got that fabulous "makeover".:D

Ineke

Now why do I suddenly feel like Thanksgiving is around the corner? :p

Valerie
04-21-2014, 09:41 AM
As for preference, of course real faces, but not all of us can do that. My avatar and my profile picture are me, though. What I don't like is photographs of other people, actresses, for example, presented as if they were the person writing the post, but fortunately that seems to be infrequent.

Katey888
04-21-2014, 10:20 AM
Jenny - I don't think you're shallow... it's how you feel about it and I can understand that because it is easier to kinda hear someone talking if you know a little of what they look like... (For the record, I sound totally like Kristin Scott-Thomas when speaking, so if you can all think of her when looking at my avatar and reading my posts, that would be great.. ;))

I can fully understand the privacy thing with folk - if anyone finds me AND recognises me on here, jolly good luck to them, I say... but I would not be so blasé if still working (and I've said that before...) - then you would probably have a cartoon avatar of.. let's go Penelope Pitstop... :)

There are some very cool and artsy avatars around - but if anyone goes to the trouble to post anything here, I think it deserves a speed read at least... I must read 20x as much as I post... and what folk say has little or no correlation to what they put up as an avatar pic...

Katey x

Annaliese
04-21-2014, 11:05 AM
Not Shallow at all real pics means real person behind it, I feel like it is easier to talk to someone even if it is posting or messaging,

dana digs sweaters
04-21-2014, 11:12 AM
I too prefer real pics.
But! What you gonna do?
At least the GG's here can see how some of us present as female.
Being able to be recognized while dolled up? Then I will demand a raise at work for my female clothes ;)

RayanneA
04-21-2014, 12:48 PM
Well maybe nobody will recognize me from my avatar. And if they do, what are the going to say about it? If crossdressing really bothers them are they going to blurt out to the world that they found your avatar on a crossdressing site? What were they doing here in the first place?

stephNE
04-21-2014, 12:51 PM
I prefer seeing a picture too. I'm not sure why, I guess it feels like we are getting to know each other better. But for the others who don't want to post a pic, that's OK too.

Beverley Sims
04-21-2014, 12:59 PM
Jenny,
You are doing the nicest thing by giving encouragement to those that post their own image as an avatar.

amandaMinx
04-21-2014, 01:08 PM
I have many pics of my self and the sad thing is people use my pics to pretend they are me... The funny thing is when I confront them they inist they are me till I put on my cam and as hi.... Lol.. Very rude and immature... Oh it's illegal to impersonate someone else. So really wtf? The more realize the tg community is selfish and very in considerate toreador eachother... I mean how are going to be taken seriously if cant respect eachother. So do not agree with using other gurls pics it is very counter productive to community.

CassieD
04-21-2014, 03:07 PM
I don't mind either way. I'd prefer a picture of some sort, whether photo, cartoon or other as it makes it easier to identify other posters.

linda booth
04-21-2014, 03:26 PM
I'm into crossdressing just for the clothes so I have no pictures. Also I'm a klutz. I once tried to put up an avatar & failed. It doesn't matter!

reb.femme
04-21-2014, 03:29 PM
I like to see people's avatars and pics too and will, as many of you will have noticed, have a quick peek at your profiles. That said, I completely understand that many do not want to expose themselves to possible discovery by whatever method, so I respect that decision in totality.

Does the desire to see people's pictures make you shallow? Not for a minute in my book. Many here will present themselves in the best light (I only post the nice pics believe me :heehee:) and the profiles are of limited use as they contain very little info really. All in, I like to converse with people I know by facial recognition, but in these days of the net, very little is 'wysiwyg'. (what you see is what you get)

Rebecca

Karren H
04-21-2014, 03:35 PM
For me it helps enhance connections more on a personal basis..... name with a face...... all be it fake name with a face.... vs fake name with a flake photo... lol. but in the scheme of things.... it doesn't really matter.... I have long term friends who I have never seen photos of and that's fine.....

Barbara Dugan
04-21-2014, 03:50 PM
I would love to see real avatars from all members but I understand the reasons why some prefer not to post one, now on a more personal level of communication I take more seriously the people I know at least by pictures

Majella St Gerard
04-21-2014, 04:21 PM
I like real pictures, if someone sees you on this site then they must be into it also, that's how I feel. I just googled my screen name and nothing came up about me that I posted on this site, now I also googled my real name and nothing related to crossdressing came up. I googled my other screen name from another site (not a CD site a porn site) and WOW, a lot came up lots of pics, no real face pics, I black out my face but there are some that if you knew me, then you would know it was me. I don't really care, I'm out for the most part, I'm too old to give a s**t what others think. But that is not for everyone, I remember what it's like to be afraid of people finding out, it messes with your head. Share pics when you are ready too.

mechamoose
04-21-2014, 04:23 PM
I use a non-photo avatar to deliberately communicate an attitude and mood. When you look at that pic, you will get a bunch of information about me that a personal pic wouldn't show.

However, my profile pic IS me. I'm not glamorous. I'm in a Indian skirt, sports bra and loose top. You can't see the mascara, but its there. My body type & beard are impossible to miss.

Compare the two.. you have to agree that they present very different messages.

<3

- MM

MssHyde
04-21-2014, 04:57 PM
I like to see what people look like as much as anyone, deep down I'd still like to find a local friend to do things with when the planets are aligned..

my avatar does not represent the way I look now, but its the me I have felt many times.. only when I look in the mirror or see pictures the reality of time really sits in.

my pictures are current so anyone can really see me as the woman I try to portray.

yes I'd like a 25 year old youthful body, but I'll settle for some where in time..

JennyLynn
04-21-2014, 05:02 PM
I so appreciate all the responses-- even the negative. Thank you all for taking the time to let me know how you feel. I like transparency and the chance to see who I am chatting with. Personally, I love taking and sharing pictures. It's fun!

mykell
04-21-2014, 06:44 PM
its a good thread jenny,
when i first joined i never took a photo of Mikell never mind posting on the internet, once on the internet forever on the internet! but i felt that if most members had some sort of photo in their avatar i should reciprocate and i cropped my head off and posted, (new nothing of makeup then either), now some times i cant wait to post a foto or so,if only the camera would co-operate. deleted all but my new avatar today, i dont post my face on the open forum, found my threads using search engines, but in the private forums i usally share more verbally as well as photos as i never found anything from the private sections here when searching. silly but a comfort to me, but with the photos i feel a more genuine connection with that member when we connect, i do understand why some choose not to, but i dont feel as connected if that makes sense.....

Alice B
04-21-2014, 06:57 PM
LikeSara I like a face with the voice. No one is going to out anyone else, so step up to the plate and let us see you.

StacyLynn
04-21-2014, 07:56 PM
That's so true haha. I'm pretty new here and I've been contemplating joining or not and sometimes I would think "I better not, what if someone were to see" but then I thought the exact same thing you said, "what are you doing on the site?". I figured I'd be safe putting up my picture on here :D

Trinity Sue
04-21-2014, 08:08 PM
If you are really interested in seeing who I am, maybe you should try to get to know me . Then after a bit of talking I will show you me . My walls are there for a reason ,maybe there should be some respect for that . Say Hey! Trinity Sue

bimini1
04-21-2014, 08:40 PM
Hell I am paranoid about having my femme pics stored in "pictures" on my personal unit for fear of some insidious hacker going in there and getting them. Much less posting them on a forum. Would love to do it to show all here what I look like.

devida
04-21-2014, 08:53 PM
My avatar is what I look like. I use it on a bunch of different sites. I just don't care if anyone knows I am transgender. Maybe, if anyone ever asked, it could be a teachable moment for them. But, guess what, nobody asks and nobody cares. If I wear makeup, tights, short shorts, blouses, breast forms and everything but a tutu nobody asks and nobody cares. Why is it so different for so many members on this forum? I just don't know.

Dianne S
04-21-2014, 09:34 PM
My avatar is really me, but for now I prefer not to show my face. When I'm out to the world, which will probably be in 12-18 months, then I will post a proper picture.

Charla McBee
04-21-2014, 10:24 PM
Well there you go, I've done it and there's no taking it back now! Thanks to JennyLynn and all the rest of you for the inspiration. I really think this is something I needed to do.

Krisi
04-22-2014, 06:33 AM
I used to think pictures put a face to the poster and helped me get a mental image of who I was reading. Then I became aware that some of the photos were not of that actual person but some obscure (to me anyway) actress or political figure.

I might put a picture up someday. My hope is that with makeup and a wig, people won't recognize me as my male self.

Stephanie Julianna
04-22-2014, 06:34 AM
I like real pics also. I admit my Avatar is not current but my profile pic is. I'm still working on polishing my look as a mature girl after years in the closet. Then a current Avatar will appear.

Donnagirl
04-22-2014, 06:39 AM
Maybe I'll change my avatar once I can convince the wife to buy me some hair..... Until then, well I'll just be scaring small children.

bonni
04-22-2014, 06:45 AM
I'd love to post a pic. Still working on makeup and my hair is at a weird stage now can't do a thing with it.

lilmissjenny
04-22-2014, 07:34 AM
<---me :)

Jenny Elwood
04-22-2014, 07:58 AM
I'll show my full face, if only for a day or two (see profile pic.) I took the photo when I went out last, make-up still a disaster but managed to hide the worst by going B&W!

With those eyebrows I'm sure I'll always look like a "man in a skirt"!

Prissy Linda
04-22-2014, 10:51 AM
I also like looking at the avatars that the member show but if they don't I still read their post because they can still contribute valuable imput.
I don't show an avatar because one of the agreements I have with my wife is that I don't post picture on the internet, She never has trusted the internet,but we go out often to other towns while i'm dressed,so in a way it doesn't make sense but that's the way it is. Besides, I never was one for taking a dare to prove myself so if by not having a real picture of myself makes me less real then that's fine. I have a very accepting and supportive wife, she is the one that matters most.

JennyLynn
04-22-2014, 04:31 PM
Now you get it!

Kate Simmons
04-22-2014, 07:24 PM
I like real pics too JL but pic or no pic, I'm happy to hear from others here. :battingeyelashes::)

Jennifer Kelly
04-22-2014, 08:38 PM
I like real pics but I won't judge someone harshly for not posting one. People have lots of reasons to not use real pics on here.

kimdl93
04-22-2014, 08:58 PM
I do too. Either my avatar or profile pic is the real me....you can try to guess which one it it's!

PretzelGirl
04-22-2014, 09:10 PM
I went years with a "cartoon" avatar. I was worried about an outing that would never come and eventually I got the screw it mentality. Now it feels good to not have another way of hiding.

JennyLynn
04-25-2014, 05:28 PM
Good for all those who chose to take the "leap of faith". It might be difficult and scary to post your picture, but unless you have obvious identifiable backdrops, nobody is going to recognize you. I think most who don't post a pic are afraid they aren't attractive enough to feel a part of the community. Nonsense! Post your pic and let the folks here decide. Take the leap of faith and you might be surprised!

sabrinaedwards
04-25-2014, 06:08 PM
I was reluctant to post an actual photo of myself dressed. As with all of you, I was concerned about someone recognizing me. So far, that has not been an issue. Additionally, about twice as many of you viewed my profile after posting the photo.

Amanda M
04-26-2014, 01:54 AM
For the record, myavatar is just me and is current.

trisha kobichenko
04-26-2014, 02:21 AM
well, I have a full facial beard, and have had for about 45 years. Everyone I know, including my SO complains when I shave it off. Makes for a not very attractive avatar in this environment. I do love seeing real pic avatars, and do think about pushing the envelope in that area, but understand that there may be issues for those who don't post pic avatars. That said, I am dressed now and dress almost daily. Is public presentation always necessary?
Hugs,
Trish

Cassandra86
04-26-2014, 04:07 AM
I use a real avatar just for the record lol

marsha leanne
04-26-2014, 11:59 AM
this is me, good or bad. the only pic i have and the first pic in over 20 years. I do apprieciate the real avatars as it helps me keep you all straight!

Amy07
04-26-2014, 02:55 PM
I like a real avatar. It took time to get the shot, but fun and worth the time.

Julie York
04-26-2014, 05:45 PM
I like real photos for the same reasons everyone else said. And in my time on here I have posted some photos of me (really it's true!). But I took them all down because I felt vulnerable. Now I am too old and wrinkly to be the deva I had in my head anyway, so I doubt that will be happening again.
Also, I have found that after a time I haven't a clue what anyone is called, but I remember the avatar no matter what it is.
It's just mental symbology when you get down to it.

Jenn Monk
04-27-2014, 09:25 AM
I use a real avatar, but it was a big step for me getting on the internet so I can understand someone's reluctance to use a real one. I only put mine up after a friend saw it and said it didn't look anything like me.
Combine that with the low resolution and that it is pretty well buried in the backwoods of the internet so the risk of someone putting a real name on it is lower than winning the lottery. I they do, well part of the reason for the real avatar is to be more open about myself.
The only avatars that annoy me are the one's that are of a real 3rd party and not identified as such, or inappropriate miscellaneous body parts.

Claire Cook
04-27-2014, 10:26 AM
It's nice to associate a name with a face, but like others I certainly understand the reluctance to use a photo for an avatar. I'm out to enough people that I'm fine using my photo ... even if it is a couple of years out of date :heehee: .

JennyLynn
04-27-2014, 04:32 PM
I couldn't even imagine that I could be identified by my pic. Besides who else would be on here but us girls?

RenneB
04-27-2014, 05:47 PM
It took me a while to get up the courage to post a facial picture. It also took a bunch of makeup practice, a little photo enhancement and the proper lighting and ... well, I eventually got a few that I felt were good enough to post.

For those of us that are out and about and don't want show a picture, you should know that there are a lot of cameras that take our picture. From ATMs to wallyworld, if you're dressed you've had your picture taken. Every once in a while, I'll take my Renne picture and google it with images. So far.... nothing.

On another note. Much like the real world, there are those of us that have won the genetic lottery (not me). They know who they are and I'll bet they tend not to post their real picture here. They get inundated with PMs and friend requests and notes and I'm sure it's a pain.

However, for me, it was a coming of age so to speak that I got up the courage to post the pictures. As I've said in the past, for those of us in the closet, it's not a matter of "IF" we get caught, it's a matter of "WHEN" we get caught. Posting my pictures most likely speeds up that process... I'm good with that.

Renne.......

Taylor Ray
04-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Well, I am bummed that my credibility and amount of "connection" with others on this site is reduced. But my professional credibility would be reduced if people knew that I cross dressed. It could threaten my ability to have a steady income.

Nadia Pinky
04-28-2014, 01:28 AM
when I register in this forum I putted my real picture which I have because my hobby photography so I love to take picture for my self every two or 3 months with dressed and make up and wig :)

Ellaxo
04-28-2014, 01:31 AM
That's one of the reasons why I signed up to this forum. I just loved how open some people are, and thought it'd be a way to open up myself.

Taylor Ray
05-11-2014, 07:05 PM
I hear what you gals are saying here...

Donnagirl
05-11-2014, 07:36 PM
This is me... Damn painful way to small push up bra but the results are remarkable!!

marykrissmithcd
05-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Here is my real avatar photo.

CarlaWestin
05-11-2014, 09:32 PM
For the longest time, I had a faceless image of myself with high heels and big boobs as a profile picture and, a picture of June Cleaver for an avatar. The very first time I completely applied makeup myself and wore a combed out wig, was when I first tried on my first french maid's dress. I was so overwelmed by the whole event, I forgot the apron that came with the dress. Stumbling with makeup and trying to look natural I just let the video record. That was the day I got my avatar shot, the profile pose that I've received many fabulous compliments about and, the inspiration to write the signature line below.

And a little bonus that I never imagined.
Street cred on this site.
And if anyone recognizes me, all I can say is, "Hi, there!" :tongueout

CrossJess
05-12-2014, 05:48 AM
Real pics for me too, though I like to show off my legs and what ever I'm wearing at the time, not so keen to show my face even if I was wearing make up and had my hair done up, my bf says I make a good girl :o I still worry it could fall into the wrong hands you read about this stuff going on...just playing it safe

Jolene Robertson
05-12-2014, 06:00 AM
I had a REAL picture up till I discovered that the web-bots scan the general forum and when I did a search for CDs in my state my avatar came up along with some posts. So if a member wants to see me check out my profile. There are some people I don’t want to know. That is also why I don't post as much as I used to.

Tabitha Storm
05-12-2014, 07:37 PM
the real me

Ruby John
05-12-2014, 08:04 PM
This says more about me than any picture. I love it. Ruby

Andrea Renea
05-14-2014, 04:40 PM
This is the real me.

April_Ligeia
05-15-2014, 12:13 AM
Real avatar photos are awesome, but beware of what you put on the internet because, as other posters have noted, photos are searchable. I feel that using photoshop to make the photos LOOK the way you FEEL is valid art.

Jenny Elwood
05-15-2014, 03:27 AM
Hi All

Check out my new profile pic if you're interested in seeing what a drag artist can achieve if they lay they're hands on you.

I certainly couldn't believe it!

jessica33
05-15-2014, 11:37 AM
Some insight. I myself got called out by someone who recognized me from a pic, even dressed with makeup, wig (before my hair grew out), etc...
My response was, itself; a question:
"...and why were YOU on that website?"
The reply to that was stammering and stuttering, case closed.
In short, I side with posting the real pics. Be you, and let it show. Here you are among friends.
Nikki50/50 . I totally agreed with you . I like to see real pics too . If I get call out by someone then my question to that person what are you doing at this site . :D

Saikotsu
05-15-2014, 12:07 PM
I understand why a lot of people prefer real pictures and avatars, but in my case I'm paranoid of the internet. I feel safe and comfortable in this online community, enough to post real information about myself, and I've even opened up about stuff here that I've never told anyone else. But there's a limit to how comfortable I am online, and I'm simply not comfortable with showing you all what I look like. I applaud those of you who are comfortable or brave enough to do so, but I'm not.
However, there is another reason why I have the avatar I do. It's symbolic of a decision I've made, and who I really am. For those unfamiliar with my avatar, it is a picture of Ranma. Both people in that picture are the same person. It's from an old anime called Ranma 1/2. The titular character, Ranma is "cursed" so that when he comes in contact with cold water he becomes a girl, and when he touches hot water, he becomes a boy. For me, I've decided that I want to embrace both my masculine and feminine sides. I am both Adyson and Adam. I want to walk the middle line and be able to cross back and forth whenever I want. Some days I prefer being a guy. Others I prefer to present as female. Other days I'm androgynous. If I put up a picture of myself, I'd have to change it every day for it to feel right.

Jamiegirl1
05-15-2014, 03:20 PM
I agree,no one would recognize any of us when we are dressed in such a tiny pic.....

Kristia
05-15-2014, 07:24 PM
I just discovered this site a couple of days ago, registered yesterday, and this is my first "post". I would add my avatar but I can't get into "My Profile" yet to add it. Will add one when allowed.

All of that to say, real photos if you can manage an attractive one. However, as some of you have said, you're doing the rest of us a favor by not putting up your photo. Thanks. In that case I understand using other than a photo.

becky77
05-16-2014, 01:46 AM
You can't blame someone for keeping their identity/picture private, if they are a casual crossdresser, often closeted, why risk any possibility of exposure?
However if you don't fear this then it is nice to see a picture, so you can relate to that person.
I like seeing a picture as it humanizes the person, but I get it if there is no pic. :)

Paula DAngelo
05-16-2014, 06:49 AM
Personally I like seeing real pictures for the people posting. I feel it helps you understand the person posting better. I can also understand the people that don't use a picture for fear of being discovered/outed and I don't have a problem with that either. The thing that does bother me, and I don't understand is the people that talk about how they always go out, and the ones that say how well they pass whenever they go out, yet they have a picture that is not them. To me this makes it seem like they are hiding something and makes me want to question anything that they are saying. My avatar/pictures are me, I'm proud of who I am and not afraid to show it. Maybe my view is skewed since outside of work I live my life as Paula and my plans are to transition and I'm currently working on a plan on how I'm going to accomplish this. Just my feelings for whatever they're worth.

Rachel32533
05-16-2014, 11:26 AM
I think a picture says more than words can describe.

JusRosCD49
05-16-2014, 12:06 PM
I'm not ready to have my picture as my avatar yet....

Wildaboutheels
05-16-2014, 12:33 PM
NEVER, ever trust anyone w/o a closeup pic of their face on any website. It means beyond any shadow of a doubt that they are a fake, a flake or on the take...especially a CDing website where every person is exactly the same.

Saikotsu
05-16-2014, 02:20 PM
You can't trust photos on the internet either. Anyone can post anything. If your whole basis on whether you can trust someone is based on whether they have a photo of "their" face, I'm sad to say you simply can't trust anyone.

Furthermore, we are not all exactly the same. Some of us are still in the closet and aren't comfortable showing our faces, even amongst people of a like mind.

Jennifer Kelly
05-16-2014, 10:33 PM
I just discovered this site a couple of days ago, registered yesterday, and this is my first "post". I would add my avatar but I can't get into "My Profile" yet to add it. Will add one when allowed.

All of that to say, real photos if you can manage an attractive one. However, as some of you have said, you're doing the rest of us a favor by not putting up your photo. Thanks. In that case I understand using other than a photo.

Once you get to 10 posts you will be able to access that section.

Kristia
05-16-2014, 10:45 PM
Once you get to 10 posts you will be able to access that section.

Thanks Jen, didn't know that.

Tasha'sLaboratory
05-17-2014, 04:20 PM
I probably will eventually. I don't really have a lot of pictures to choose from at this point. I put a couple in the selfies thread if you really want to see me.

Donnagirl
05-19-2014, 09:53 AM
I took the plunge..... This is the real me. (With a little help from that push up bra again!!!)

JC
05-19-2014, 11:21 AM
From one that is deeply closeted - to all but wife. A photo would be one more piece of the puzzle should anyone have an idea as to who the person really is. i simply can't risk a photo.

sometimes_miss
05-19-2014, 06:25 PM
I've got a nice avatar pic, it's just not actually me. It's what I'd like to look like, wearing one of my favorite dresses. It had that instant 'I want the girl in the pic, I want to be the girl in the pic' affect on me, and still does, every time I look at it.

Joanne108
05-19-2014, 10:13 PM
My avatar is the latest pic of me. Yeah I'm dressed but that is who I am.

Nikki Love
05-20-2014, 01:18 AM
I enjoy seeing photographs of members who post. I understand why some people are hesitant reveal any facial pictures. Personally, I enjoy the challenge of trying to be the woman I wish to present to others in my avatar. I don't think I can pass in public, but I see, with some of the photos that have been taken of me that I do have a respectable feminine side that can can be sexy, flirty, and is a work in progress. I was very excited to share a few of those elusive pictures to this community.
When someone chooses to have a more anonymous avatar I still like to see what they select to represent themselves.

JessicaMN
05-20-2014, 08:15 PM
Who ever said it had to show your face?

LRoberts
05-21-2014, 07:57 PM
This is the real me taken a few months back. I like to see a picture of whose posting. I know there is some risk.

BLUE ORCHID
05-22-2014, 08:27 PM
Hi Jenny Lynn, Some things are best left unseen.

Maryesther M.
05-22-2014, 09:43 PM
A picture says a thousand words and reading posts beside a real picture of the contributor somehow verifies what they write.

M.

Adelaide
05-23-2014, 10:16 AM
I appreciate seeing someone's picture when reading a feedback. It brings credibility. This is the real me....BTW, I'm currently in the midst of loosing weight....hoping for approx 20 lbs, slowly but surely.....It will probably show on my face.....I guess I'll need to update my avatar this fall!!!

Jaymees22
05-23-2014, 01:09 PM
I post my picture, I'm shallow and proud of it !!!