PDA

View Full Version : The Johnny Cash of CDs, or the CD in black

Tami Monroe
04-22-2014, 09:57 PM
I just realized today that 90% of what I own (dresses, skirts, blouses, lingerie, etc.) is black. I do not know why I am drawn to black colored fashions, but evidently I am. Am I weird? Are there others on here who have a preference for one color over any other? I am going to have to work on this. The plus side is that if I needed to go to a funeral en femme, I am good to go!

Adriana Moretti
04-22-2014, 10:02 PM
ha ha...i LOVE black too...you are not alone...black is my favorite, along with red,white,gold,silver,grey, and patterns as accent colors...not much for bright colors...maybe pink....but black is my favorite...they say black is slimming...dont know how true that is though....i will have to check the crossdresser manual again....

Tami Monroe
04-22-2014, 10:06 PM
LOL. I personally think black is slimming on me. However, ultimately, the truth would be in the eye of the beholder. I have a bit of an affinity for greys and purples, too. The corst I am looking at getting as my first is purple and (you guessed it) black.

vikki2020
04-22-2014, 10:14 PM
yeah--Black will always be the go to color. "X", is the "new" black---except, Black never gives up it's champion belt! It just looks good---especially with a charcoal grey!

Tami Monroe
04-22-2014, 10:20 PM
I agree. The charcoal grey goes with it so well!

Adriana Moretti
04-22-2014, 10:27 PM
ok you convinced me to buy these charcoal grey shorts i have been eyeing .........

Keri L
04-22-2014, 10:30 PM
I have read that dark cokors on top and light colors below (skirts, slacks, etc.) are preferable for the girls with broad shoulders and not so curvy bodies. So, over the past year and a half that I have been dresing, in earnest anyway, I have acquired many black tops. Now, I am trying to branch out a little though, and I have started looking for dark tops other than black. But, I have not been overwhelmingly successful yet! So, put a ribbon on me and call me "June", LOL,

NZ_Dawn
04-22-2014, 11:47 PM
Guilty! My outer wardrobe consisted of 90% black also initially. Once this was pointed out, I made the conscious choice to extend into more colour. Neutral colours and pastels for now but I am starting to enjoy the bright colours available. Just needs to be in keeping with the style I wear. Bight pink hot pants just don't seem to cut the look! :)

Jenniferathome
04-22-2014, 11:50 PM
Nope, I'm all about color. If I have one black item, I will have some color to pop against it.

Beverley Sims
04-23-2014, 02:00 AM
Hawkdoc,
Just lack of imagination for now..
You soon get out of that rut.
I fall into valleys and buy similar clothing for a while and when I get enough I become bored and try something new.

Katey888
04-23-2014, 04:06 AM
Tami, you' re not weird! (Well - not in the context of this place, anyway..:))

Black is classic... black is for sure slimming, on the whole... and outside of the fashion aspect for us CDers, I just love my wife in black lingerie... :o

I like the suggestion from Caitlyn about dark on top, light below - will have to try that...

Thing I've realised about colours is the difficulty of finding the right colour for us as individuals... something that GGs start doing as teenagers, so we're decades behind... :eek: I think experimentation is the answer... and I've received good advice from posting pics in the Gallery here... but you have to be prepared to look back and think OMG, what was I thinking... :)

Katey x

Kate Simmons
04-23-2014, 04:53 AM
Nothing wrong with black Hon. It gets someone's attention, is a no nonsense color and tends to make the wearer look mysterious.:battingeyelashes::)

NicoleScott
04-23-2014, 07:32 AM
I love black, too. Gives a slimmer appearance (as opposed to a slimmer reality - dang it). And just about everything goes with it. My two complimentary colors of choice are silver and the dark red family (maroon, cranberry, burgundy).
Here's proof that black can give the appearance of slim (not that this model needs it). I wish I had a dress with this type of black side panels:

mykell
04-23-2014, 07:39 AM
why do gals buy the LBD,
not weird,

in the beginning everything i had was black,
that has all changed, loud and proud now...

Marcelle
04-23-2014, 09:22 AM
Funny thing . . .my wife's wardrobe is basic black whereas my "femme" wardrobe (not really that much) is very colour oriented.

Hugs

Isha

5150 Girl
04-23-2014, 09:23 AM
Another black fan here, though lately, since I've been out more, I've been adding more colors to the "collection".
However most of my ugly things are still black. Maybe it's liked to the depression I feel when he's around?

Lady Slipper
04-23-2014, 03:11 PM
Well, black does go with everything....

Barbara Dugan
04-23-2014, 07:14 PM
I wear a lot of black but not only when crossdressing also on my daily male life, usually on cooler weather is something black all day and on summer mostly at night , black clothing is not a good option on hot weather...something I found interesting is that Hispanic ladies don't wear much black clothing

Ashanti
04-23-2014, 07:35 PM
I have three LBDs, but the rest are multicoloured. Not many patterned blouses or dresses though...

Tami Monroe
04-23-2014, 07:39 PM
I NEED to get out of the black rut.

flatlander_48
04-23-2014, 07:48 PM
I have always like dressing in black in drab and drag, rarely at 100% though. Often black pants or a black skirt, but a bright color for the top. I'm the reverse of the physique discussed above. Below the waist is larger than normal due to cycling, but upper body is average at best.

Tami Monroe
04-23-2014, 07:51 PM
The ONE thing I do to try and break up the all-black routine is to wear a lighter color of hosiery, like a taupe, grey, or (the best of all) a suntan. I am trying to break a 30 year tradition, slowly, bt surely.

Chari
04-23-2014, 07:53 PM
Black is the basic color, and has always been in fashion. For most gals it's a color that looks great no matter what your size or your article of choice - dresses, sweaters, blouse, jeans, shoes, lingerie. Also IMO your hair color, skin tone will have an effect on how your black attire responds. By adding one item - say a scarf, in another color, it can change your entire look. Enjoy.

Tami Monroe
04-23-2014, 07:54 PM
Thank you for that advice. :)

S. Lisa Smith
04-23-2014, 08:05 PM
I was tending to wear a lot of black. I am trying for jewel tones colors now. I'm wearing a lot of purple. I'm starting to "get into" coral also...

Carmen
04-23-2014, 08:31 PM
I had decided that 2014 will be the year of exploring colors for me.
Previosly most everything I own isblack, grey, brown, dark green...etc.

Christen
04-23-2014, 10:57 PM
Weird? I hope not. Most of my things are black (sort of ninja crossdressing). I've a charcoal grey skirt, white tank top, patterned blue scarf and a just bought pale pink cardigan, but everything else is black. Nothing wrong with a monochrome wardrobe, but I'd like more colour as well.
Let me know when the funeral is on :)

Christen x

Nadia Pinky
04-24-2014, 03:38 AM
I like to dress lingerie black and pink also red that's best colors of me

stacey.eyes
04-24-2014, 02:37 PM
I have found the same thing. Half of my dresses/skirts are black, and tops/sweaters tend to be either black or white. Am consciously trying to change that.

CynthiaD
04-24-2014, 06:03 PM
I like black a lot. I wear mostly black in male mode, and tend to wear a lot of black in female mode. My favorite looks usually include a black skirt with a white or creme-colored top. (That's my power look.:) )

Vanessa5
04-24-2014, 06:14 PM
Wow. I just realized how many of my things are black. Going to start looking at some other colors.

Colo Deb
04-24-2014, 06:47 PM
You might be the Johnny Cash of CD's if you are 'The Boy Named Sue'.

Lea
04-24-2014, 07:59 PM
I started with a lot of black items. Skirts, dresses, blouses and intimate apparel. I like the look but I have been adding color to my outfits.

DonnaA
04-25-2014, 01:08 AM
I love black too, and then purple after that.

Alice Torn
04-25-2014, 11:52 AM
I have two LBD's, two black with flowers , and both my bras are dark, and most panties and girdles black, or dark. Lots of other colored dresses, and skirts. I have three black longsleeved shirts, and like the Cash look. I play a very little bit of guitar, and like Johnny's style and songs.

Butterfly Bill
04-25-2014, 12:01 PM
We've gotten this far with this many replies and nobody has mentioned goth punk yet? This has been a cult style for four decades. You've got lots of kindred spirits.

CassieD
04-25-2014, 03:10 PM
I love black too, and then purple after that.

I'm with you there. I blame the count from sesame street.

krissygurl
04-25-2014, 03:25 PM
haha, Although I don't have a wardrobe yet, All the items I have been looking at have been black. I actually prefer colorful things. I'n not sure why I thought black was the only option. It does go well with almost anything. But its all about the accesories.

sabrinaedwards
04-25-2014, 06:15 PM
Recently there was a question concerning fashion on Jeopardy. The answer was LBD. A group of us guys were watching and I shouted out "What is Little Black Dress" and someone asked if I had one! Of course I do, I have 3! Black is always in fashion.