PDA

View Full Version : Back in Ballet Class

JamieG
04-23-2014, 01:19 PM
After a four-month hiatus, I am back in ballet classes again. Before my break, my teacher told me that they would "save a place at the barre for me" (I guess it's kind of like "Cheers" :-) ). Last week I showed up to class and picked up where I left off. I was a little rusty, but not as much as I had expected. Certain steps came naturally, others will require a little more practice. I've lost some of my flexibility, but I think I can regain it. We've started learning pirouettes, which gave me lot's of trouble the last time we tried to learn them, but I have a good feeling about them this time around. I can't do them correctly yet, but with a few more weeks of practice, I think I'll get there.

All in all, in felt good to slip on the old tights and slippers and dance with the ladies (and one man) again.

Katey888
04-23-2014, 05:42 PM
Good for you, Jamie!

If I thought I could take up ballet and develop a physique like yours without it killing me stone dead in one lesson, I'd do it tomorrow...

But it would totally off me, so I'll leave the practical to you, and stick to watching Black Swan on DVD... :)

I did see a few performances of London Contemporary Dance a few years back... and the thought of Sylvie Guillaume does engender some interesting feelings... :)

And I like the 'place at the barre' comment... artsy jokes... :D

Katey x

Linda E. Woodworth
04-23-2014, 09:09 PM
Hi Jamie,

Glad you're back after the long hiatus.

I too was off for 4 months with work. I still can't do a proper pirouette but we're working on them in class.

Good Luck!

kimdl93
04-23-2014, 09:14 PM
Jamie, as a person with two left feet, no rhythm, and incredible inflexibility, i admire your willingness to endure the demanding discipline of ballet!

docrobbysherry
04-24-2014, 12:18 AM
Good for u, Jamie! Practice may NOT "make perfect", but it certainly "makes improvement"!

My pole dancing skills were shamed in Vegas last month. I must practice for next year's DLV so I can hold my own there.

Beverley Sims
04-24-2014, 01:04 AM
Jamie,
If you have a love of ballet as you appear to, keep at it.
If you like women the rewards can be great.

Elkeliini
04-24-2014, 01:12 AM
oh nice! I am also looking to return to Ballet and hopefully next season will join. My friend has found a good adult class (god they are rare... who thought of the idea of mixing aerobics with ballet and call it adult ballet classes????) In my previous class in another town we also had a few men joining us. It was lovely. The younger girls were a bit apprehensive of having a guy in class (well 16 years old teenagers are just well 16 year old teenagers ha!) but the rest was bring it on... there can be more!

that said. ballet is excellent to get posture and poise. It doesn't matter that you can not do a perfect pirouette or look like a flailing elephant when attempting a grand jeté. The thing that makes ballet so valuable as a hobby, is to look at yourself and improve improve improve.

HAVE FUN!

mechamoose
04-24-2014, 04:26 AM
I took ballet in high school, and really enjoyed it. The flow & movement felt really good. Although I'm still flexible because of martial arts, I think if I ever went back to ballet it would look like a Clydesdale doing Dressage. :)

Good for you in getting back into your pointe shoes!

- MM

Marcelle
04-24-2014, 05:34 AM
Hi Jamie,

Welcome back, haven't seen you around for awhile. Glad to hear you are back at ballet as I know you were really enjoying it.

Hugs

Isha

CamillaCD
04-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Glad to hear you're back, 4 months is a long time. I haven't stopped, still doing two classes a week (90 minutes each), plus an hour at home in the weekend.

JamieG
04-24-2014, 05:30 PM
Thanks, everyone for your encouragement and sharing your own stories.

If I thought I could take up ballet and develop a physique like yours without it killing me stone dead in one lesson, I'd do it tomorrow...

You make me blush, Katey. I don't know how much ballet has helped my physique, but it certainly has improved my balance and grace.

Jamie, as a person with two left feet, no rhythm, and incredible inflexibility, i admire your willingness to endure the demanding discipline of ballet!

I once had two left feet myself. After four years of ballet, I wouldn't claim to have a proper left and right yet, but two left feet is no longer true. Maybe two left and a right?

Good for u, Jamie! Practice may NOT "make perfect", but it certainly "makes improvement"!

True. If we don't practice, there's no way to get better.

oh nice! I am also looking to return to Ballet and hopefully next season will join. My friend has found a good adult class (god they are rare... who thought of the idea of mixing aerobics with ballet and call it adult ballet classes????) In my previous class in another town we also had a few men joining us. It was lovely. The younger girls were a bit apprehensive of having a guy in class (well 16 years old teenagers are just well 16 year old teenagers ha!) but the rest was bring it on... there can be more!

Thanks. Yes, I've been lucky to find an a really good adult class. There's a big focus on technique and a clear intent that the exercises learned at the barre prepare you for the moves steps during center work. Also, everyone has been so friendly and supportive. And although at times I've been the only "man" in class, we've had as many as four at one time. BTW, always good to hear from a GG! Thanks for joining the forum.

Glad to hear you're back, 4 months is a long time. I haven't stopped, still doing two classes a week (90 minutes each), plus an hour at home in the weekend.

That's great Camilla! You must be making great strides with that much practice time.

CamillaCD
04-27-2014, 07:45 AM
I wouldn't say great strides. It may be that I have reached a skill level where getting better requires more one-on-one tutoring.

Sarah V
05-04-2014, 01:30 PM
Jamie: So glad to hear about your classes again. What was your 4-month break for?

We are just finishing up our spring semester and then will roll right into our summer session. Same class, it just keeps on going, and going, and going. Our class has shrunk a bit and we are now back down to a core group of about 5 adults. Class is still going wonderfully though. Our school's recital is in a few weeks, and we adults will most likely volunteer to help out like we did for their Cracked Nut last winter......I had a blast doing that BTW. We were talking about the schools upcoming recital in class yesterday and our instructor told us she was contemplating expanding the recital next year, and it got us adults thinking about if we should ask her if we might be able to do a small simple piece in it for ourselves. We will see. But so glad to hear from you again. Keep on Dance'n !!

BLUE ORCHID
05-06-2014, 12:08 PM
Hi Jamie , That sounds like a wonderful time I love to watch the Ballet .
If I was 50yrs younger and 100lbs lighter that would be a lot of fun.

JamieG
05-14-2014, 08:18 AM
Last night I did a double class: my regular ballet plus the subsequent jazz class as a makeup for a class I mentioned earlier. I felt really good during the ballet class. The teacher even remarked that my dancing was much improved, and that I had a "just go for it" attitude that was needed to dance well. We worked more on pirouettes and I'm getting closer, although I still haven't perfected them yet. My goal is to nail that before this session ends. During the stretches, the teacher spent some time with me, and tried to get me to do the side splits, but I'm not ready yet. I got further than I have since I lost them, but then I felt a sharp pull in my left thigh and had to give up before I could get my chest to the floor.

The jazz class was difficult. The steps were faster than those we learn in ballet and the combinations require remembering more steps. I really wasn't able to keep up with either of the two combinations we learned. One thing that bothered me was that there were different arm movements for the guys (i.e., me as there were no other guys in either class). I didn't like be singled out, and of course, I would be happy to be included with the girls. I did well during the stretches so that at least gave me something positive to focus on from the class. Despite not being very good at it, I do enjoy the music we dance to in jazz better. The steps are more modern and, unlike ballet, some could even be used if I went out dancing in a club.

JamieG
05-21-2014, 12:33 PM
I did another double class this week. In ballet, I made good progress on my pirouettes. I was actually spinning all the way around and not falling down. Now I have to work on my spotting (a technique that turns your head to keep your eyes focus on a fixed spot as long as possible during your spin) in order to avoid dizziness.

I did better in jazz class this week than last week. We learned another complicated combination, but I felt like I had the gist of this one down, even if I got some of the nuances wrong. The teacher asked me why I didn't take jazz regularly, and I had to explain that I couldn't do the timing of the course on a regular basis.

One interesting thing as I was leaving, another guy walked in for the next class and the teacher remarked that it is too bad we're not in the same class; she would like to see us work together. She mentioned that "he has a different style than I do, his is more athletic." Thinking how she's been telling me to jump higher and move across the floor more, I said, "I know you keep asking me to be more athletic." She stopped and said, "No, I don't want that for you. That's not your style." If I was an ordinary guy, I might have been hurt at hearing that, but of course, I'm thinking "Does she sense my femininity?" and "does she want my dancing to express that more?"

Katey888
05-21-2014, 02:55 PM
Jamie - that sounds like a great opportunity to open a conversation with your teacher about why she thinks your style is different...

You don't have to reveal anything - just ask an open and honestly curious question to see what answer you get back... You don't have to confirm or deny anything... I don't think I could stop myself... :)

Mind you... at the end of any class like that I'd hardly be able to breathe, let alone talk intelligently... I really admire your drive to do that.. :cheer:

Go on - ask the question... ;)

Katey x

Darling Micki
05-21-2014, 03:46 PM
I have always loved the look of ballet. The grace, poise, and fluidity of the movements.

I have even downloaded some exercise and training videos based on ballet. Honestly I think it will help me to maintain and/or improve my presentation of Micki.

Regretfully though I have been too lazy to get off my backside to start following up with the videos.

Thankfully all the years of bicycle riding to school when I was younger has allowed me to stay in a somewhat decent shape.

I applaud you Jamie for going out and regularly doing this.

Sarah V
05-26-2014, 05:15 PM
Jamie: Yes, I too would be interested if you can open up a conversation with your instructor about your style you are approaching & learning ballet. It would be interesting to see how she is intrepeting you. On and off I have thought about asking my teachers the same thing, but have not done it yet.

JamieG
05-28-2014, 12:20 PM
Had a great ballet class the other night. I got a lot kudos from the teacher. We learned a new combination and I picked it up pretty quickly. I did very well with my stretches, and I can get my nose now about two inches from the floor while doing the side splits. Maybe next week, I'll have recovered my lost flexibility. But the best moment was during the pirouettes, my teacher told me, "That's it. Now you're showing some coordination!" I still have to improve my spotting, and clockwise spins on my left toes are easier than counter-clockwise spins on my right toes, but I feel like I've really crossed a barrier. When we first tried them two years ago, I thought I would never figure it out. I'm ecstatic!

The class wasn't all roses, though; I still made mistakes. I once got chastised for the wrong timing on rond de jambes: we were supposed to do three series of one slow than two quick, I wasn't getting it. I also still can't get my back in the position she wants when I do plies. It seems every class she comes over and pushes my stomach in and up while also pushing my upper back from behind. Even when I'm thinking of this, its not enough for her. I guess I just have too many years of bad posture, and its going to take a lot of work to fix it.

I'm sorry to say that I did not have a chance to ask her about what style of ballet suited me best. Maybe next time.

BTW, Micki, my personal opinion is that there's is nothing like ballet to make you feel feminine. You should try out the videos, just be careful. But there's nothing to compare to taking a ballet class and being surrounded by women, especially when all of you are dancing as one graceful troupe.

dana digs sweaters
05-28-2014, 12:56 PM
Cool update Jamie. Thanks :)

Sarah V
06-01-2014, 01:53 PM
I can not agree more with what Ms. Jamie has said. She put it very well.

Pat
06-01-2014, 04:05 PM
Nice. I remember taking ballet as a 25 year-old male. The teacher was bemused but accommodating. I stayed with it for a few years but drifted away in my 30's. Lately i've been thinking of going back because I note I'm losing mobility and I feel like ballet can restore my range of motion without having to drink the philosophical kool-aid of yoga. Besides, I miss the tights. ;)

Janine cd
06-01-2014, 06:10 PM
Hi Jamie, welcome back. When I was very young, I dreamt of taking ballet lessons but it was out of the question with a very strict father and the fact that I was the tallest and heaviest boy on the block.

JamieG
06-04-2014, 11:27 AM
My last class was a combination of ups and downs. On the positive side, I was able to touch my head to the floor while in the side splits, so my flexibility is almost back! On the negative side, although I thought my pirouettes were improving, another student pulled me aside after class and gave me pointers because she saw me "struggling." Finally, there was a new guy in class. Either he's a natural or he's had ballet lessons somewhere before. He did quite well for his first day.

Nice. I remember taking ballet as a 25 year-old male. The teacher was bemused but accommodating. I stayed with it for a few years but drifted away in my 30's. Lately i've been thinking of going back because I note I'm losing mobility and I feel like ballet can restore my range of motion without having to drink the philosophical kool-aid of yoga. Besides, I miss the tights. ;)

You should go back. And I agree, the tights are a nice plus. You might have a harder time getting away with them in yoga class.

Hi Jamie, welcome back. When I was very young, I dreamt of taking ballet lessons but it was out of the question with a very strict father and the fact that I was the tallest and heaviest boy on the block.

Yes, I would never have had the courage to ask my parents about ballet when I was young. However, what's stopping you now? We have people of all ages and body types in my class. And I should mention, although size might inhibit a professional career, there's no reason why bigger girls can't enjoy ballet. Just the other night I was watching a show called "Big Ballet" on Ovation (I believe our friends across the pond had it on BBC last year) that was about assembling a troupe of non-traditional-sized dancers to perform Swan Lake. I like the message that "dance is for everyone."

docrobbysherry
06-04-2014, 12:06 PM
Thank u for continuing to post your accomplishments, Jamie. I find u to be a shining example of what we can do when we dedicate our mind and body to a task.

U r an inspiration!

CamillaCD
06-04-2014, 04:51 PM
Just a little update from this side of the pond. The semester ended a couple of weeks ago. Still, lots of ballet this week so far. Last sunday I watched the school's version of "Alice in wonderland". Only the jazz ballet of the adult classes had a part in the show, so no stage time for me this time. It's fun to see how the kids perform on stage. Some are very serious, some own the stage and some are occupied with looking for their parents in the audience.

This week and the next two the school has set up summer classes. Three classes of 90 minutes each week. They are open for everybody above 12 years. Last monday there was a good mix of teenagers and us adults.

Finally, tomorrow I'll see "Swan lake" at the Norwegian National Opera and Ballet. I've seen the ballet several times on DVD and Blu-ray, but this is the first time I'm seeing it live.

You're much more flexible than I. I've still got 14 inches down to the floor when doing the side splits. I am able to do one turn pirouettes fairly good, but doing two turns stable is still a bit in the future.

bimini1
06-04-2014, 05:20 PM
I have been fascinated by ballet for as long as I remember. How these professional dancers can do what they do just defies the imagination. I remember seeing "Dr. Coppelius" as a youngster and it blew my mind. I once read a ballerina say, ballet is all about putting your body into unnatural positions it is not really supposed to be able to go into. Thus the injury and pain that goes along with it.

Some years ago I wound up renting a house that by chance had a full ballet studio in the basement. I was in heaven. I bought a ballet for beginners book but unfortunately did not get too far with it. I was too transfixed on seeing myself amidst all of those mirrors in full ballerina mode. I would love to have that studio back and can only imagine the fun you're having.

JamieG
06-18-2014, 02:37 PM
We started a new session this week. A lot of new faces in class; no boys, which suits me just fine. We didn't really do anything difficult, and yet I struggled with some of the combinations. I even got corrections on some of the stretches, which is an area where I normally excel. I have been recovering from a pretty bad cold, so maybe that was what went wrong. Hopefully, next week will go better.

Sarah V
06-23-2014, 12:25 AM
Jamie: I think you and I had the same cold.

I got mine during when I was helping backstage for my school's annual spring recital. It really knocked me down, was out for 3 days of work, and a lot of people at work had it also. Then the studio cancelled a few of the early summer adult class dates due to low summer attendance-due to school graduations `immediately after the recital, and with me being sick, (I could not take a deep breath, or laugh, without starting to forcefully cough and bring back up thick green tinted mucus from all the draining that took place) I ended being out of class for 5 weeks. It was only just this past weekend that I was able to start in class for the summer session. This Saturday, at the end of class, I was presently surprised at how well I did, and more importantly, how good my legs felt today-a day after class. However during class yesterday, during our barre' stretches, I could easily detect how much flexibility I had lost over these past 5 weeks of in-activity.

JamieG
06-24-2014, 07:22 PM
This week's class went much better than last week's. Like Sarah, I think I've finally put my cold behind me. No real coughing in days. I got a lot more compliments from the teacher this time, at one point she was basically jumping up and down with excitement at how well I was doing a combination, especially in terms of punctuating the kicks to the beat of the music. I was also used to demonstrate one of her crueler stretches. I did pretty well on most of the exercises, but I struggled with the timing of grande jettes (leaps through the air with legs outstretched). It was a very fast-paced class and by the end I must have lost 5 pounds in sweat. I know I'm going to be sore for a few days...

JamieG
07-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Had another good class this week, although I had to miss the second half of the US/Belgium match to attend (hey, I've got my priorities straight). I was especially excited to hear that I even got my posture right a few times. We learned a polka as well as a new jump called an assemble (you jump off of one leg, bring both legs together in the air and land on two feet). I think I did okay for my first time with the jump, but its going to take a lot of practice before I'm really comfortable with it. It was a really hot day, so I was dripping sweat by the end of the class... no wait, let me rephrase that, I was "sparkling," which is more appropriate for a lady, LOL.

JamieG
07-09-2014, 10:55 AM
I am feeling so energized after my class this week. I felt like I was really tuned into the music and not just robotically doing the moves, you know, actually dancing! I nailed the echappes and we did pirouettes which I am continuing to improve on. I stuck around for the jazz dance class and although it was the middle of their session, I picked it up as if I had been in the class from the start. We learned a fun, fast moving combination and although my teacher initially teased me about my inability to stay on beat as we ran through it, when it came time to actually do it, I did really good. There were a few times where my foot ended up in the wrong place or my hands went in the wrong direction, but overall I was doing the right steps exactly to the beat. My teacher was very impressed, especially given that I usually struggle learning the combinations in jazz. I also did great on the stretches. I easily got my chest to the floor from a side split and then there was another stretch where she kept on saying, "If you want more, do this..." and I kept on doing it. At the end she told everyone else to rest but me so she could take my stretch even further: while laying with my stomach on the floor, she wanted me to bend my back and my leg so that my "foot could touch my nose." Obviously, we didn't get there but I got pretty far.

About the only negative, is that my teacher got on my case about my posture again, and I think my problem is that although I can stand up straight when standing still, when I bend my legs, I tend to bend my spine. I also had a tendency to hunch up my shoulders when I try to stretch my back, and I have to constantly remind myself to isolate my abdominal muscles and my back and keep my shoulders relaxed.

Anyway, it was a great workout and it was fun to watch myself in the mirror moving in unison with the rest of the class. If you haven't guessed by now, I really love dance!

JamieG
07-31-2014, 12:57 PM
I did another double class this week. First ballet and then jazz. When I arrived, there was a young woman in class who had the coolest leotard. It was black with white racer stripes and a zipper in the front. I wanted to compliment her on it and ask where she got it, but chose to hold my tongue. Maybe if she was a regular I would have felt more comfortable talking to her. After a few minutes, we got started. I had missed the last few weeks, so I was a bit rusty. The teacher used me to point out some problems with my arabesque (a classic ballet position where you stand on one leg, with the other extended behind you). After she made the adjustments, she said that it looked lovely. However, when we started dancing, she chastised me for not being able to do it as well as I did at the barre. Otherwise, I did pretty well with the combinations, and felt that my pirouettes are really coming along. We had do a sequence of them across the floor, and apart from a little dizziness near the end, I felt like I was doing okay. I even felt good enough to try the slightly more challenging version of them.

Jazz class did not go as well as last time, but it was still fun. The combination started off with a jazz pullback and kick that I just can't seem to do at speed. I muddled through, but I was mostly following other people in the class and would often do the wrong step or be just a beat behind. At least I didn't give up. Further insult to injury is that two weeks off was enough to lose some of my flexibility. When doing the side splits, I couldn't get my chest to the floor, only to about three inches above. Alas, it takes so long to gain flexibility, but it can be lost so fast!

Katey888
07-31-2014, 02:29 PM
Jamie - I still feel it's totally admirable that you choose to do this for fitness, poise and posture...

I remain completely in awe and envy, and still exhausted from just reading about it... I'd love to be able to find a local class to do it here - chances are it probably remains one of those 'female only' bastions... So I'll just have to content myself with reading about what you do... :D

Keep working on that pirouette!

Katey x

JamieG
08-13-2014, 12:14 PM
I bought myself some new dance tights for my birthday, and debuted them in my class this week. Normally, mens tights are black. However these tights from Wear Moi are grey and also quite soft, especially compared to the scratchy mens tights from Capezio. I was a little self-conscious in them, as the light grey tends to show not only muscle tone but also every bulge.

We only had 8 people in class, which meant we each got personal attention, but also meant that the teacher worked us really hard. We had a week off, and I think it showed, 'cause was a little rusty. I got more corrections than kudos, but at least she liked some of my work. There was one combo at the bar that had some fast footwork that I had trouble with. But when we repeated it to the other side, I was told that I did much better. She also liked my developpe during a slow combination on the floor. We did pirouettes again, and I think I took a step backwards. She even tried to help me by giving a push as I began my spin. Our last dance was a combo that ended with grande jetes (running leaps) across the floor. Sometimes I got it, and other times I found myself leaping off the wrong foot.

Despite trying to drink plenty water, I had a few muscle cramps during class. And by the end, I was sweating profusely. So I guess I at least got a good workout, even if my dancing wasn't as beautiful as I would have liked.

BTW, Katey except in very small towns you should be able to find a school willing to have a male-bodied person in class. Most instructors and serious students realize that ballet needs more men and they tend to be very encouraging. After all, isn't the UK the home of Billy Elliot? Or you could just go as Katey, which would probably be more fun!

Sarah V
08-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Jamie: My classes are continuing as well, but very small attendance at adult summer classes, as a lot of folks are taking the summer off, and I myself have had to do some unexpected traveling for work again, so I have missed many more than I had wanted to. Hopefully things will return to normal in the fall as far as who is in class. Small classes are nice, I get a lot more attention and correction, which I can always use, but the class seems to drag on without all my acquaintences. Enjoy your new dance things........and of course, Happy Birthday!!!

And hey......don't make fun of my scratchy Capezio men's tights!! Funny enough for my home practice I have just tried my fist pair of ladies Capezio convertible tights and I just love them!!!

mechamoose
08-17-2014, 12:29 PM
I did another double class this week. First ballet and then jazz. When I arrived, there was a young woman in class who had the coolest leotard. It was black with white racer stripes and a zipper in the front. I wanted to compliment her on it and ask where she got it, but chose to hold my tongue.

So you are doing these classes 'en-homme'?

I'm stoked that you have a school which supports you. I ran out of girls tall enough to pair with me, which was an issue.

I'm just trying to understand your approach. Most schools don't ever expect guys to do pointe.

...curious

-MM

JamieG
08-17-2014, 02:06 PM
So you are doing these classes 'en-homme'?

I'm stoked that you have a school which supports you. I ran out of girls tall enough to pair with me, which was an issue.

I'm just trying to understand your approach. Most schools don't ever expect guys to do pointe.

...curious

-MM

MM, yes I attend en homme, if you will. These are adult beginner/mid-level classes. No one is en pointe and there is no pairing. Every once in a while, she'll give slightly different instructions for the few men in the class; usually in terms of port de bras (for those who don't know their ballet terms, this means how you hold your arms, not how to get your lingerie across the river).

And hey......don't make fun of my scratchy Capezio men's tights!! Funny enough for my home practice I have just tried my fist pair of ladies Capezio convertible tights and I just love them!!!

Hi Sarah. Can you honestly say that you like mens Capezio tights? You should at least try M. Stevens tights for class. They're a bit like mens running tights, but with feet, and are a bit easier to find than the Wear Moi. I agree that ladies Capezio tights are quite nice. They are are softer and cheaper than the mens. No fair!

mechamoose
08-17-2014, 02:28 PM
Tights were not an issue then, (now? I'm having a hard time finding male cycling clothes in my size)

Shoes on the other hand... ballet shoes in a men's 10+ are a bitch to find.

Step-step-LEAP! Step step- CRASH! (Room too short!)

No pianos were injured producing this film....

- MM

Angie G
08-17-2014, 03:32 PM
You go girl.:hugs:
Angie

balletbeautiful
09-02-2014, 07:44 PM
Hi Jamie et al, I've read your posts with interest and found them truly inspiring - so much so that I start ballet classes on September 12. I can't wait!

My interest began with Mary Helen Bowers' Ballet Beautiful DVDs, which involve ballet exercises, mainly on the mat. I wanted to get fit and make my body as feminine as possible. I tried yoga once and wasn't a fan - too much "omming".

So then I discovered the DVDs and have been doing them most nights for the past month or so. The results are amazing - and very feminising, which is great.

So I have a few questions:

1. Jamie, and the other ladies doing classes, have you considered doing exams in ballet? My class does exams and I fully intend to take them. It would really give me something to strive for.

2. Do you wear a dance belt to class? I don't really fancy the idea.

3. Tights. I wear female clothes whenever possible - but most of my wardrobe is androgynous - female clothes but fairly plain, so that nobody will know. I fully intend to take class in female T-shirt and leggings. But I'd love to work my way up to tights one day. Are there any female tights that are thicker, like the men's? I'd rather not wear men's tights.

4. Would you say that ballet has helped to feminise you -both in a physical way in terms of toning, and in terms of poise and how you hold yourself?

5. Are there any ballet moves I should learn before my first class?

That's it for now - but I expect there'll be many more questions in due course. Thank you, Audrey x

Nadya
09-02-2014, 11:49 PM
Ballet sounds like a lot of fun! I kind of want to try it and it's not only because of the cute outfits. :P

JamieG
09-03-2014, 12:48 PM
Hi Jamie et al, I've read your posts with interest and found them truly inspiring - so much so that I start ballet classes on September 12. I can't wait!

Hi Audrey! I am wowed to hear that I have inspired you. Here's my answers to your questions.:

1. They don't offer exams where I am. I'm guessing maybe you're in the UK where they do the RAD system? Even if I had the opportunity I don't think I would do them, unless I needed to pass in order to advance to the next course.

2. I do wear a dance belt. It's basically thick, thong underwear, so I would think CIS-gendered people would be more against the idea than our kind.

3. I've always worn male tights to class. I have on occasion worn a unisex unitard. If you are comfortable being seen in female clothes, then wear whatever you want. I recommend shaving your legs if you're going to wear female tights, but if not, there are some brands that are a bit thicker. And you can always wear two pairs if your hair isn't too dark.

4. Absolutely, ballet has helped feminize me. The way it loosens your muscles gives you a more feminine, fluidity of movement. My poise and posture is much better and I have learned to move my arms in a more elegant way.

5. I would recommend knowing the 5 positions, knowing demi-plie and grand-plie, and knowing tendus. These are the basic skills. If you have a true intro class, then they should probably teach you everything. However, I've been attending an adult "beginner class" that was very much a trial by fire. It took me about a year before I felt like I could keep up with the rest of the class. In most places in the world, there simply aren't enough adult students to merit a full progression of courses, so instead you have a handful of classes, each with a great variance in student skill and ability.

Have fun! I can't wait to hear how it goes for you!

Ballet sounds like a lot of fun! I kind of want to try it and it's not only because of the cute outfits. :P

It is! And I don't even wear the cute outfits in class (although I do have five gorgeous tutus at home).

Randee
09-03-2014, 11:51 PM
Audrey,
I hope you enjoy your ballet classes as much as I did my jazz/ballet classes I took with my gf for two years. I have read Jamie's accounts over the years and, though Jamie is one serious student, I found most adult classes a lot more relaxed. Mine was mainly ladies who were wanting to relive dance like they enjoyed in their youth as a form of exercise to keep in shape and enjoy. So it's not something to get uptight about in my opinion.

As far as what to wear be it male tights, feminine tights, tights and leotards, wrap skirt, wear what you want. I attended classes with my girlfriend starting out in a ladies solid black shortsleeved leotard and matching tights and later wore some items my girlfriend gifted me. We all had fun and the ladies included me just like one of them. I would recommend that whatever you want to dress in for class, wear it all to your first class confidently, and that is how they will expect you to be dressed from then on. If you are a bit over the top, they will politely tell you and give you a chance to dial it back a bit. Men are welcome in most classes any way they can get them and certainly don't want to discourage you in any way. I think Jamie will agree on that. Above all, enjoy and let us know how it goes.

Linda E. Woodworth
09-04-2014, 08:42 AM
Hi Audrey,

It's great to hear that you're starting ballet. I started 4 years ago and love it.

I'd like to throw out one piece of advise I think is missing from the answers to your questions regarding what to wear.

"Ask the studio what dress code they require, if any."

I go in "male" mode but have been wearing men's tights since the first month. Yes, they're thicker than women's hosiery but as was mentioned the hair doesn't show. My daughters tie dyed my tights for their crazy father.

With regards to a dance belt. If you're wearing tights, you're going to need something to keep everything in place. I've practiced without one and things got out of control very quickly. My studio requires all male dancers to wear a dance belt. Yes, you can think of it as a thick thong. You get used to it.

Well, that's everything I had to say. I hope you have a wonderful time with your lessons and please let us know how things turn out.

mechamoose
09-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Despite trying to drink plenty water, I had a few muscle cramps during class. And by the end, I was sweating profusely. So I guess I at least got a good workout, even if my dancing wasn't as beautiful as I would have liked.

You need to keep your sodium & potassium levels up, hon. It will help prevent cramps. Can you bring Gatorade or snacks into the hall? If so, you should. (banana chips and salted peanuts are my favorites)

I miss ballet. I kind of substituted it with kung-fu later, but I miss the *expression* that ballet has. With compressed discs (from doing kf jumps & landings for so long) and bone spurs, it isn't an option now. :(

Thank you for the 'diary' you are keeping here :)

- MM

balletbeautiful
09-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Hi ladies, and many thanks for such great replies and such good advice.

Let me answer a few points:

Yes, I'm in the UK. Most adult classes don't do exams, but the dance school I'm going to does. Hurrah! I just think it will help spur me on to improve if I have something to aim for. Plus, I love certificates!

Hmmm, guess I need to invest in a dance belt then. Was hoping I could get away without one. Any advice on which kind to get?

No problems as regards hairy legs - mine have been shaved for years. Can you recommend any of the thicker ladies' ballet tights? Again, what make?

I've got both plies and tendus sorted now, so that's OK. Still need to learn positions 3-5.

Randee, there's nothing I'd like more than to walk into class in my cropped cardigan, pink tights and black leotard over the top, but I'm just not brave enough. I'll start "drab" and then introduce tights and whatnot after a few weeks, I think.

Thanks again for all your help, ladies. I really can't wait to get started.

Audrey x

balletbeautiful
09-04-2014, 07:44 PM
PS Jamie, has ballet helped in terms of a more feminine figure? Or is the difference more in terms of poise and movement? Thank you. x

JamieG
09-04-2014, 10:08 PM
I found most adult classes a lot more relaxed.

I have heard that about many classes. My instructor can be a task master (she also teaches college-level classes). Although many of her students are relaxed, she'll push the ones who are there to learn. I think that's why I get so many corrections (at least that's what I keep telling myself).

Men are welcome in most classes any way they can get them and certainly don't want to discourage you in any way. I think Jamie will agree on that.

Agreed. Too many men are "afraid" of ballet.

I'd like to throw out one piece of advise I think is missing from the answers to your questions regarding what to wear.

"Ask the studio what dress code they require, if any."

Great suggestion.

You need to keep your sodium & potassium levels up, hon. It will help prevent cramps. Can you bring Gatorade or snacks into the hall? If so, you should. (banana chips and salted peanuts are my favorites)

Thanks for the suggestion, MM.

Hmmm, guess I need to invest in a dance belt then. Was hoping I could get away without one. Any advice on which kind to get?
I have a couple of Capezio dance belts, they're fine. One is quilted, which I think is slightly more comfortable than the regular ones.

No problems as regards hairy legs - mine have been shaved for years. Can you recommend any of the thicker ladies' ballet tights? Again, what make?

I believe Eurotard makes a legging that's thick enough for them to call it unisex.

I've got both plies and tendus sorted now, so that's OK. Still need to learn positions 3-5.

Great. Do 5 next. We mostly do 1,2 and 5 in our classes. Sometimes we throw in 4, but mostly as part of combination. I don't think we've ever done 3 in my class.

Randee, there's nothing I'd like more than to walk into class in my cropped cardigan, pink tights and black leotard over the top, but I'm just not brave enough. I'll start "drab" and then introduce tights and whatnot after a few weeks, I think.

I think this is a good strategy. Assuming you really want to learn, let them get to think of you as a serious student first. If you show up all girly, they might think you are fetishist. I think Randee was lucky to be accepted right away, but if I recall, his girlfriend was already a student in the class, so that probably helped him.

PS Jamie, has ballet helped in terms of a more feminine figure? Or is the difference more in terms of poise and movement? Thank you. x
Has it made my hips and bust expand? Sorry to say, no! :-) I think the exercise has helped me take off pounds, especially around my midsection, maybe toned by rear a bit, and certainly given more definition to my legs. And this is exercise that does not bulk up my arms. These are all things that are good for my feminine presentation, but I wouldn't call them uniquely feminine.

Randee
09-05-2014, 12:41 AM
The reason I suggested to Balletbeautiful that you wear what you want from Day 1 is that it worked so well for me. Sure, having my girlfriend with me gave me support and my attire would be fine with them if it was fine with her, and I would not have to prove I wasn't gay though, alone, I would be more than happy to do so with anyone willing and desireable. And there were definitely some other lovely leotarded ladies who might have been interested had I not been spoken for. I think it best because easing into it later might make it look like you came to push boundaries and push a little forward toward crossdressing in steps, and with that maybe you did come more for the clothing than the dance. Like Jamie is pretty much locked into dancing in male dance clothes. But I was always able to attend as simply a guy in leotards and tights because that was what I had to start out in, even if they thought they were borrowed from my girlfriend. It was their domain that I entered and what I wore was never an issue going forward. When other men visited the class, they were encouraged to come back, but after they left, a couple of them would say for me to hear, "if he comes back, he'd better be in some leotards!" I don't know if they told the guys, but I don't recall any coming a second time.

I did call around like Linda suggested asking other studios what everyone wore to class and if the leotards and tights I already had would be OK. Every one I called said enthusiastically that "that'll be fine." They sounded more like they did not want to discourage men from attending class by making them think they were required to be in tights and leotards like the ladies, but happy to have them. It was a dream come true, one night a week for two years with my girlfriend and her lovely leotarded classmates making me feel like one of the troupe. I am glad that I didn't lose time trying to ease into wearing what I wanted so I could just dance and enjoy. Hope you have as much pleasure yourself.
Jamie, do you think now that if you wanted to start wearing leotards to class over your tights that you could just step out in them without it becoming a scene, or would it just be taken as a change in personal preference? Not talking makeup or fake tits, just the clothing. Probably nerve wracking the first time, but even then, ultimately acceptable.

Linda E. Woodworth
09-05-2014, 07:02 AM
A few observations made with taking ballet for the last few years.

1. Not all studios will have a beginning adult class. While trying to find one I was treated at times like a pedophile for daring to invade the sanctum of the studio and asking.

2. Dress codes for adults are usually pretty relaxed. We're not there to become professional dancers, but just want to learn ballet. I would discuss with them what you would like to wear ahead of time. As I've advanced from beginner to intermediate level classes I have had to leave the "adult" class behind. Consequently I am in class with several children whose combined ages still don't equal mine. There is always the dancing Master or Mistress present. However; you don't want to excite or scare the parents if their child starts describing the "man in a tutu" in the class. That doesn't do anybody any good.

3. Those studios that do have adult classes were more than happy to have any men taking them. That being said, some are better than others at providing for both genders. In one studio there was no men's dressing room and I was directed to use the bathroom. Fine, I can handle that. My current studio has separate dressing and bathrooms for both men and women.

4. In all my years, nobody has even showed me 3rd position. I don't know if it is used for anything any more.

That's all for this one girls. I love the classes, even if I do look like a sea sick crocodile out there floundering around. One day I'll get it together. In the mean time I'm working my tail off and having fun!

Sarah V
09-05-2014, 07:41 PM
@ Ms. BB: Here are my answers to your questions:

So I have a few questions:

1. Jamie, and the other ladies doing classes, have you considered doing exams in ballet? My class does exams and I fully intend to take them. It would really give me something to strive for.

ANS: Yes, I have. However the only good graded program I know of is RAD (Royal Academy of Dancing) and here in the US RAD is not as popular, at least I believe, than it is in the UK, CDN, EU, AUS, etc. Also at least in the San Antonio area, I do not know of a reputable ballet school that is doing RAD for adults. There are probably a few well off (non working) GG women living around here that can take graded class at one of local pre-pro schools that have full day time programs, but since I have become used to eating that means I have to work, and hence all my ballet that I take are all on strictly nights and weekends----------Thank God for my Retirement coming up now in about 3 more months give or take a few days.

2. Do you wear a dance belt to class? I don't really fancy the idea.

ANS: Yes, I do. I take my classes as a male (in my scratchy Capezio tights no less--Ms. Jamie :>) Trust me, unless you are really quite small, you will want one, esp. when you get to jumping in class. FYI for what it is worth, both my dance belts are all full seat M. Stevens ones and I just luv them. Much better than the way uncomfortable Capezio thong ones I have had in the past.

3. Tights. I wear female clothes whenever possible - but most of my wardrobe is androgynous - female clothes but fairly plain, so that nobody will know. I fully intend to take class in female T-shirt and leggings. But I'd love to work my way up to tights one day. Are there any female tights that are thicker, like the men's? I'd rather not wear men's tights.

ANS: No, female tights are not thicker (like men's) that I know of, and I have not ever seen or heard of any that are. However having said that, there are a ton of manufacturer's who produce tights.......so, never say never.

4. Would you say that ballet has helped to feminise you -both in a physical way in terms of toning, and in terms of poise and how you hold yourself?

ANS: Yes, absolulty!! And I love it! It has also helped me tremendously to get ready/in shape for some major orthopedic surgery I just had and from which I am now home recovering from....

------An aside (Jamie) I am pretty much out of class for this semester, but I finally had to have this work done before I retire later this year.

5. Are there any ballet moves I should learn before my first class?

ANS: I would recommend working (or just learning about) the five (5) basic positions of the feet, and the general port de bras of the arms. After that, let your instructor take it from there.

Hope that helps.

Ms. Linda, Jamie: We all really have to find a way to get together sometime. Any thoughts to looking into wanting to attend the Sun King adult dance camp ( as guys probably) next year? I'll be retired and have the time next year.

And Ms. Jamie-----I am dying to see those tutu's of your's one day!! You can see my practice one (with me in it no less) on Flicker---you should be able to find it. Sarah

JamieG
09-05-2014, 09:00 PM
Jamie, do you think now that if you wanted to start wearing leotards to class over your tights that you could just step out in them without it becoming a scene, or would it just be taken as a change in personal preference? Not talking makeup or fake tits, just the clothing. Probably nerve wracking the first time, but even then, ultimately acceptable.

I'm not sure I'm at a place in my life where I would be comfortable with that. I believe if I were to do so (women's tights with the leotard on top), everyone would know that I am a crossdresser. I think for the most part the class would be fine it, but that's not something I'm comfortable sharing with them right now.

Ms. Linda, Jamie: We all really have to find a way to get together sometime. Any thoughts to looking into wanting to attend the Sun King adult dance camp ( as guys probably) next year? I'll be retired and have the time next year.

And Ms. Jamie-----I am dying to see those tutu's of your's one day!! You can see my practice one (with me in it no less) on Flicker---you should be able to find it. Sarah

Sarah, it would be great to get all of the crossdressers.com ballerinas and form our own ballet company. A Sun King camp is on my bucket list, but probably not in the near future. Money is a little tight right now, and there are lot's of family responsibilities. BTW, some of my tutus are on Flickr too, and I think a one is in the photo gallery here.

CamillaCD
09-06-2014, 06:36 AM
News from across the pond. The new semester started 2 weeks ago. I'm attending two classes per week. One for adults that have danced before and one more directed at beginners. The latter turns out to be popular as we were 15 (14 ladies plus me). Some seemed to never have tried ballet before. The downside is its only 60 minutes.

Practising one hour at home every weekend makes a total of 3 1/2 hours of ballet every week. So you can see I am still a bit hooked on ballet :-)

Randee
09-06-2014, 11:43 AM
And I thought I was the shy one here!
Looks like I am the only one here who has been bold enough to take class in leotards and tights like the other adult ladies in my jazz/ballet class. I knew I would attend as a male, especially since I was attending as the boyfriend of one of the ladies in the class. I will admit it was a little nerve wracking going to my first class, first that I was entering their world of ladies in a ballet class, and secondly that my gf and I had agreed that if I wanted to wear leotards and tights in class with her, I should start from the beginning. On the afternoon of my first class I came home from work and changed into my leotard and tights I would be wearing for my first class and wore them around the house for a couple of hours to get comfortable about being in them and calm myself down. That lasted until my gf came by to drive us both to class wearing my favorite outfit for her. But that is another story.
My confidence in attending class in leotard and tights came after a few phone calls to several dance studios and dancewear stores. The general consensus was 'wear what you want' and one comment 'it depends on how feminine you want to look' referring to whether I would be in a plain unisex black or single colored leotard, or a flowery print. When discussing styles with sales ladies, most said that the styles were basically unisex, but came in women's sizes only because it was mostly women who bought them. DUH. But for the long sleeve or turtleneck styles I desired, it would be a women's that she would be putting me in. I had even tried some of these on in dancewear stores. My leotard for the first class was a black Capezio short sleeve zip front V-neck which I had seen both men and women wear in dancewear catalogs, and my tights were men's Capezio that I had bought to wear for a costume, just a little thicker than womens tights. Having worn leotards and tights as base for some Halloween costumes over the years, I had some outfits on hand and a good reason for having them. Now that I had been in ballet with gf, I had even more good reasons. I had tried dance belts and didn't like wearing them unless I absolutely had to. Most of the time I got enough support from the leotards and tights without it. I did miss it one night when I attended class in a lycra unitard by itself, problem solved by wearing short sleeve lycra thong leotard under it.
So I don't think there is anyone here who wouldn't enjoy being the only guy in a class of ladies taking ballet and wearing leotards and tights with them. To that, from my experience, I can't believe I am saying to you, 'grow a set'. Actually the ladies likes that too, as my gf told me she often caught the other ladies checking me out while we were doing warmups together in front of the big mirrors.
You may have to be the first in your class, but you won't have to be the only one. Check out the product review by Mike of this leotard and see how good his masculine body looks in leotards and tights--
http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_M2149.html?pid=19432&Shop=Style&SID=60828386%20%206#BVRRWidgetID

NicoleballetTV
09-08-2014, 06:34 PM
*I have been dancing femme since I came out to my ballet teacher last year - I asked to learn pointe - when I showed up with sheers and shorts she took one look and said - honey - you can wear a skirt if you like! The other ladies (my age 40s)all said - babe if you can wear sheers and start pointe you're one of the girls! SO I turned up to the class next week femme (looking like a girl out an office) and wwore a leotard, nude shiny sheers, pink pointe shoes and a sheer dance skirt.
Im Nicole to them - I am delighted to be accepted as one oif them = and we have even had a heels master class - I was teaching them to walk in my 120mm louboutins!

NicoleballetTV
09-08-2014, 06:35 PM
@nicolelondontv is my twitter!
*I have been dancing femme since I came out to my ballet teacher last year - I asked to learn pointe - when I showed up with sheers and shorts she took one look and said - honey - you can wear a skirt if you like! The other ladies (my age 40s)all said - babe if you can wear sheers and start pointe you're one of the girls! SO I turned up to the class next week femme (looking like a girl out an office) and wwore a leotard, nude shiny sheers, pink pointe shoes and a sheer dance skirt.
Im Nicole to them - I am delighted to be accepted as one oif them = and we have even had a heels master class - I was teaching them to walk in my 120mm louboutins!

mechamoose
09-08-2014, 06:56 PM
When I did classes (I had a scholarship at the Hartford School of Ballet) I did a leotard & tights. I didn't think anything of it (hints of things to come??)

It all went well until the local paper did a news story on the school, and had a picture of the only scholarship male student.. me. I was in a Catholic HS at the time. I'm sure you can imagine the results.

- MM

JamieG
09-12-2014, 07:28 PM
My ballet classes have started back up. There is one other guy in the class, and although he has come to many classes in the past, he's rarely wears tights, and when he does, they are more like gymnast tights. I wore my usual tights and performance tee. Class went well, although we had a new stretch that really pulled something that I had to work out for about 5 minutes before I could continue. My teacher called me "unmusical," but it was in good fun. I'm glad to be back moving again.

News from across the pond. The new semester started 2 weeks ago. I'm attending two classes per week. One for adults that have danced before and one more directed at beginners. The latter turns out to be popular as we were 15 (14 ladies plus me). Some seemed to never have tried ballet before. The downside is its only 60 minutes.

Practising one hour at home every weekend makes a total of 3 1/2 hours of ballet every week. So you can see I am still a bit hooked on ballet :-)

Glad to hear your still a ballet-addict like me. I wish I could do it as often as you, though.

Hi Nicole. That's a wonderful story. Do you have a pic to share of you in your ballet gear?

Linda E. Woodworth
09-13-2014, 08:31 AM
Hi Jamie,

I finally found a pair of ballet slipper but they turned out to be too small. I've been wearing them in the hopes the leather will stretch out but no such luck so far. I've got a pair of canvas slippers coming from Discount Dance Supply.

I moved up to the Intermediate class starting in June but with family commitments I haven't made as many classes as I would have liked. Even so I found I was ready for the class and enjoy taking it. Last class I actually thought I looked graceful at times instead of a flailing whale.

Nicole, I'm envious of you taking pointe class and hope to some day. I'm in no way ready for that though.

Camila, I practice at the house about 1 hour a week and then the class is usually 90 minutes long. I'd like to take more classes but they're in the evenings and I don't want to tie up that many nights every week.

Sarah, thank you for the wonderful suggestion about dancing together with Jamie. Unfortunately I feel I'm a long way from being able to do that.

Unfortunately girls I must return to work and I'll be leaving the country for 2 1/2 months starting next week. I'll practice my barre work in my room when I can but center work isn't practical. Also, I don't have any access to this web site as the company controls all the computers while I'm on the job.

Enjoy the classes and I'll be back around Thanksgiving!

Love,
Linda W.

Sarah V
09-14-2014, 04:19 PM
Ms. Linda: I am sure I can say for all of us, we will be waiting for you to get back in touch with us here after your work assignment. Do practice as much as you can, many hotels that I stay in for my business trips have a ballet barre' installed in their hotel gym/work-out room, and many also have mirror's on the wall so you can check your alignments. You might get lucky and have one too, so do check it out where you are staying. Do travel safely also.

JamieG
09-25-2014, 12:06 PM
This week's ballet class went well. There were a few combinations that I was a little lost on at the outset, but figured them out before we finished them. Our work across the floor was very fast paced and I even got a compliment on one such combination, which is rare. The floor is where I usually struggle, especially with fast triple meter music as this was. We had a few new students in class, including one guy. Not much else to report. Til next week...

JamieG
10-01-2014, 10:17 PM
Another week, more ballet.... As usual, after I missed a class, I took the subsequent jazz class as a makeup. Leading up to the classes, I was actually dreading them. I didn't sleep well the night before, and my work has been extremely hectic lately. I just didn't feel like 3 hours of dancing. Fortunately, I didn't lame out, because I had two really good classes, and left feeling much more positive and energized than going into them (dance has a way of doing that for me).

In the ballet class, the teacher pointed out how she didn't like the way that I "locked my knees" when she told me to stand on a "straight-leg," a complaint she frequently makes about my positions. However, this time she gave me clear instructions about what I should do, and I think I actually got it; at least she said so a few times. We had some new combinations, and although I erred a little at beginning of a few, I picked up quickly after that, and finished cleanly on every one. We did some changements (jumps up and change feet) and she said I have improved on them (I am now jumping more with my feet and legs, leaving my chest in place, and I am usually pointing my feet as the top of the jump). We ended with a fast polka across the floor in four groups, and I was specifically complimented on that as well. In the end, she told me I had a great class! Yay!

For the jazz class, they had been learning various pieces of a dance over the prior three weeks, so the teacher asked me to stand near the front she could make sure I picked everything up. For the most part, I got it when we did everything in pieces, but struggled a little bit as we chained it all together. We did the entire dance for about 10 minutes, repeating the combination about 4 times, and for the most part I was on step. Some of my details were clearly off, but I was moving in the right direction at the right times. Overall, I think I did good for dropping in on the middle of a session. We ended the evening with stretches. As usual, I did pretty well here, but due to a bit of a break from dancing at the end of the summer, I fall short of my maximum flexibility.

Hope all my fellow dancers are as happy with their progress as I am!

Katey888
10-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Jamie dear... :)

I think all of this is hugely inspirational, but.... :eek: (and I'm sure others will agree..)

It is totally begging for a video clip... :yahoo:

Even just a short clip....?

Katey x

JamieG
10-07-2014, 11:20 AM
Sorry, Katey. Our lessons aren't filmed. If however, I ever have the opportunity to show off my skills at a TG talent show, I'll be sure to have someone record it. In the meantime, you'll have to settle for some of my ballet pics in the photos section.

mikee82
10-08-2014, 11:26 AM
Nicole I am so happy for you to be accepted as one of the girls is a win so take it and dance your ass off girl and I bet your outfit was stunning
-Mikee:hugs:

Sarah V
10-19-2014, 12:38 PM
Hi All!

Well, I had my 6 week post-surgical follow up the other day and my doctor's are pleased with my recovery and the progress I am making with my physical therapy.

At this appointment I asked my providers when I could return to being able to dance, and well then my ortho doc (really a 2nd yr student resident) asked "What type of dance?" and I told him "Ballet"........well let's just say..........the look on his young face was just priceless. He was speechless! He really didn't think a person who has just had a major THR surgery would ever even want to contemplate doing anything like ballet.

I told him, "I know, I know....,no more jumping, no more obviously big arabesques/attitudes" Grand battaments over 90d to the to the front and rear are out, no forced turn out of the operative leg, etc."

Well, he said, after thinking about it for a moment,....."Stay out of class at least through mid-November, and then o.k. to return to class (YAY!!!!)" "But be very careful!" he said (no kidding). He told me he is leaving it up to me to see what will and will not work.

My instructors have already told me they will make sure I do not get into trouble, they are just so happy to be having a guy back in class.

So, with Nutcracker season coming up by then, and then the holiday's fast upon us all after that, Realistically.........I am looking to go back to class at the beginning of the spring semester when classes start again on January 5th of 2015.

Keep on Dancin' ladies!!

JamieG
11-05-2014, 08:46 PM
So, with Nutcracker season coming up by then, and then the holiday's realistically I am looking to go back to class at the beginning of the spring semester when classes start again in January.

Sarah, glad to hear that you'll be able to start back up in January. I just had my last class of the year, so it will be January before I'm back in again too.

Once again, I did a double class to make up for a missed class. Now that the weather is getting cold, I decided to wear my black long-sleeve unitard with white trouser socks. I "butched" it up a little with a white performance tee. My instructor smiled a little at my look, but didn't say anything. I did pretty well with ballet, although I got some one-on-one work regarding my grande battements (high kicks). In particular, I need to slide my foot more on the floor at the beginning and end of every kick.

My second class was jazz. I was a hot mess in that class! I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself. It was the last class of the session, so everyone else had been working up to the material in it, while I was thrown in cold. But still, I got very frustrated. Especially with one combination we did in the middle of the class. The final combination I sort of got. I was always with the beat, although sometimes I stepped with the wrong foot or put out the wrong hand. We ended with stretches, and despite not having stretched for weeks, I was surprised that I was able to almost touch my belly to the floor while in a side split. Maybe my body is "remembering" my stretches for longer now.

Now comes a bleak winter of no dancing for two months. I really need to get a part in a Nutcracker production!

Jamie

Joan_CD
11-05-2014, 09:23 PM
Hi Jamie,

Now that you got a little smile from the instructor on your outfit, will you push the envelope when you go back in January... A little makeup or a change in your outfit?

Sarah V
11-09-2014, 11:01 AM
Jamie, and all: Jamie, thanks for the well wish's. My post-THR re-hab continues to go well. I am doing PT every day now and will be winding that up in two more weeks. I am doing alternating days of physio in the Gym (land), and then pool (water). What I have found in the water class is that I can now get my operative leg well past 30d abduction (which is supposed to be my lifetime restriction), and it looks like I have been able to retain my natural turn-out at least to where it was pre-surgery, though again, I am certainly not trying to force anything.

At the end of pool class our instructor has us do some self-stretching before we get out of the water. I have been doing a bit of careful cheating...just to see how things are doing, and I see that I can now get and hold my operative leg to just about 90d in a side battement. (Something I have not been able to do in years now.....and something I have missed very much.) I am also finding when I am home, I can now bend down easier to pick things up, etc,........so, I am encouraged that when I re-start class in January I will be able to do now to do more than I could in the last year when my OA really started to get worse.

The reason I say all this and how it relates to my taking ballet is that I purposefully had a Direct Anterior Approach (DAA) done for my THR, as I knew I wanted to try to continue with ballet again if it was at all possible. And so far I think it will be. DAA's are fairly new, and not a lot of surgeons do them. However, I read that a lot of dancer's are getting them, and this led to find a very small specialized website called "DancerHips".

On the Dancerhips site I read the stories of a number of ballet dancer's (and many well known one's among them) who have had to have THR's at a younger age (like me). I really liked the idea that DAA's are the way to go for people who lead active lifestyles, and esp. those who want to try to return to dance, as the post - THR recovery time is less, and the amount of discomfort I am in really is a lot less/more tolerable than from folks I heard of who had a normal posterior approach done......The DAA also has one other plus to it........the fact that I will not have a unsightly looking 6" vertical scar running along the back of my rear-end!!!!

CamillaCD
12-11-2014, 06:12 PM
Last class for this term for us adult beginners. Also a class where friends and relatives can to come and watch. The instructor said jokingly that we should do the class in tutus, but it was fun to take her up on it.

Alicia S
12-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Only just picked up on this thread thanks to the new posting...
Really interesting to hear it all. It reminded me of a fine day out to see Les Ballets du Trokadero - look them up on you tube if you haven't heard of them. Well worth a watch

JamieG
12-11-2014, 11:01 PM
Camilla, that is awesome! You are braver than I (and look lovely in your tutu).

Linda E. Woodworth
12-13-2014, 01:53 PM
Hey Girls,

I'm back in the country from traveling and work and have returned to my ballet classes. I really missed them while I was gone. I was just starting to feel like I was getting the hang of being graceful when I had to leave.

Jamie, it's taken me multiple orders of different sizes but I "think" I have a pair of slippers now that fit. Of course I still have to sew on the elastics and actually dance in them.

Camilla, I'm envious of the tutu. I've never worn one but my daughter keeps pushing me to get one. She gets to pick it out of course. That's to go with the bubble gum pink tights with yellow/green poka-dots she demands I wear. (no I haven't been able to find any so outrageous but I have a lot of phun looking in stores!:o) Keep at it and you'll be moving up to a more difficult class before you know it.

Sarah, I 'm glad the recovery from the surgery is going well. I hope to get that flexible some day and that's a major reason I started ballet 4 years ago.

To all the other girls, It's great to be back and connected again. I don't have access to this sight when I'm on the road. I'm enjoying the holidays at home for a change along with doubling up on ballet classes. I'm really enjoying the added complexity of the intermediate level classes I'm taking. I was definitely ready to step up and have a ball no matter how hard we have to work.

Sarah V
12-17-2014, 03:38 PM
Hi Linda!! Glad you are home safely. Home for the holidays I hope? I just sent you a few PM's. Hope to stay better in touch about ballet now. Sarah

Sarah V
12-17-2014, 03:51 PM
Hi All ladies who dance.

Just a quick update note. My ortho doctor's released me to go back to class at the beginning of December. However my school's annual 2-Act production of the Nutcracker was right around the corner by then, and all the school's teacher's and most of the schools students, as you can well imagine, are all involved with the show. So, for the second year now, I helped out back-stage with the production. It was a lot of hard work and a very busy week from the moment we moved into the theater until the last performance that next Saturday night. A lot of long nights for sure. But it was a lot of fun helping out too ,and the school had 3 near sold-out performances, all of which were successfully danced and well appreciated by the audiences.

My ballet instructor mentioned to me that she had missed not having me in adult class this fall, but she is all set to help me start moving again, and hopefully a lot more pain free this time. A number of my adult class fellow students were party parents this year, and it was fun getting re-acquainted with them after being away from class for a whole semester. So, now our Nutcracker is done, and class/school is out for the next three weeks till the end of holidays

Then the first week in January '15 it's back to class I go. Can't wait, and I will let you all know how it goes with my new hip joint parts.

Hope all you wonderful ladies have a very nice upcoming holiday season! Hugs,.....

JamieG
12-27-2014, 10:45 AM
Last weekend was the first opportunity I had the house to myself in some time. I pulled out one of my tutus and put it on along with soft pink tights and pink ballet slippers. I then proceeded to pirouette and leap my way through the house. Perhaps it was my imagination, but I felt that dressed like that, my ballet dancing was more graceful and beautiful than ever before. It really is quite a sensation to have a romantic-style tutu bouncing around your legs as you move. I felt like a veritable Sugar Plum Fairy.

Sarah, I'm glad to hear you'll be back in class next week. My class doesn't start up until the third week of January.

Linda E. Woodworth
12-27-2014, 11:06 AM
Hi Jamie,

Glad you were able to indulge yourself finally. With everyone home for the holidays Linda's been relegated to the closet until the new year.

Ballet classes have been fun but I miss them over the holiday break. I'm still trying to learn how to pirouette consistently. It gets frustrating when I do it right one time and then fall down the next. However; I will persevere and get it right eventually.

I'm envious of your tutu's. Although I'd love to have one hiding it from the kids I imagine would be a chore.

Happy New Year to all the girls out there!

CamillaCD
12-27-2014, 01:20 PM
I have a pancake type tutu (which includes a body), nearly 4 feet in diameter. It is as you're saying Jamie, an odd sensation to prance around in a tutu. For the Russion type you can't see your legs, and where do you place your arms ?

I too Linda, have learned that mastering piruettes takes time and perseverance. Lately I am more and more often able to do two turns without needing to take an extra step afterwards to keep the balance. However, on some occasions my brain throws an abort!!! after a quarter turn resulting in me lying in a heap on the floor.

JamieG
12-27-2014, 07:40 PM
I'm envious of your tutu's. Although I'd love to have one hiding it from the kids I imagine would be a chore.

I have six tutus that I inherited from a (CD) friend who was trying to make space in her closet. I keep them covered with trashbags in my closet. So far my kids haven't noticed them, although I imagine its only a matter of time. Not sure how I'll explain it when the time comes...

I have a pancake type tutu (which includes a body), nearly 4 feet in diameter. It is as you're saying Jamie, an odd sensation to prance around in a tutu. For the Russion type you can't see your legs, and where do you place your arms ?

Yes, all of my tutus have attached leotards, that's the best kind in my opinion. The pancake tutus are wonderful. When, they're really big, I guess you have to keep your arms in second or high fifth position.

I too Linda, have learned that mastering piruettes takes time and perseverance. Lately I am more and more often able to do two turns without needing to take an extra step afterwards to keep the balance. However, on some occasions my brain throws an abort!!! after a quarter turn resulting in me lying in a heap on the floor.

I can only do a single turn at a time, and am not consistent with them. Now I can do about four of these in a row across the floor: turn, step, turn, step, etc. I would love to do double-turns like you, and perhaps its just a dream but perhaps one day a triple turn? Heck, while I'm dreaming, why not make it en pointe? :-;

Sarah V
12-30-2014, 01:14 PM
Jamie:

So glad you were able to give yourself a bit of fun ballerina time. I would love to see the TuTu's you own. The holidays are a perfect time to relax a bit and have fun esp. if we are all down these two weeks and away from work.

@Ms. Linda: I got your note, but had bad internet service at the hotel I was staying at in NY visiting family this past week. I'll drop you a note at once now that I am back home.

P.S. ladies, wearing some of my men's thick dance tights underneath my jeans was perfect for the weather in Upstate NY (rainy & cold) and prolonged cold airplane travel. They really helped keep my lower extremity joints from bothering me as much, and next time I fly in the winter I think I will add leg warmers to the mix.

mical7
01-08-2015, 10:20 AM
you look so fem

JamieG
01-13-2015, 12:43 PM
I just paid for my next session of ballet, which starts up next week. I am chomping at the bit to get back to the barre. I've been practicing my pirouettes and my splits, but it's hard for me to do any serious ballet practice at home. Before Christmas, I bought a new black, tank-style unitard which I am looking forward to trying out on the first day of class.

Sarasometimes
01-13-2015, 02:44 PM
Hi Jamie, I'm in Nj and i have been contemplating taking a Pure Barre type of exercise class, what do you think? I would go drab but probably wear men's capris. I think the tiny precise movements of these exercises could help make me able to move more femininely when going out dressed.

JamieG
01-14-2015, 09:41 PM
Hi Sara,

I'm not familiar with Pure Bare. I just looked it up on the Web, and it doesn't appear to have much in common with ballet training aside from the use of a barre. It's probably a good workout and you will be surrounded by women, but if you are looking for the ballet experience, I doubt you'll get it there. Whether or not you should take it depends on what you're looking for.

Jamie

Sarah V
01-18-2015, 12:38 PM
Well class has started once again. I made it through the entire class and nothing popped out of joint (pun intended). So the hip held up pretty well I guess.

This spring semester's classes have been cut down to 1.25 hr, v. the traditional 1.5 hr, and that is a bit saddening. We have two new ladies who have joined us group of adults, but I remain the only male member. These two ladies actually started last fall while I was out, but I had not met them yet. Both seem very nice.

Since this was the first class for all of us since early December, our instructor took it easy on us, and esp. me. She encouraged me to not do anything I didn't think would be good for my THR. However, she was absolutely shocked, and kept telling me so throughout the class, how much better my turn-out was, how much better I could hold and control my right leg, and how much more ROM I was getting when stretching on the floor. She told me during corrections that we/she can work with me so much more on better body alignment now that my legs under me are stable, and I am not in a lot of discomfort. So yesterday we did mostly relatively easy barr'e work, nothing to strenuous at all, and to be honest, the right hip felt wonderful and moved around quite easily. But I could immediately feel how tight my left side was. I felt great after class, but again, our instructor did take it very easy on us. About 3 hrs. after class my right hip was feeling sore, so I took it easy the rest of the day but it feels fine this morning.

So, all is good I think. It should be a good spring semester.

Linda E. Woodworth
01-18-2015, 07:00 PM
Hi Sara,

That's great that the first class went so well. I understand how important getting back into the swing of things is.

I was incredibly tight for my first class after the Christmas break. It is amazing how fast you start to lose the stretch in your limbs when you stop for even a few days.

JamieG
01-24-2015, 09:16 AM
Yay! Finally back in ballet. This week's class was a combination of regulars and new faces. I ended up opting for my more traditional mens tights and long sleeve tee, instead of my new unitard. However, There was another guy in class, and he was wearing footless tights and a spandex top, so I don't think the unitard would have looked out of place (sometimes when guys take the class, they just wear shorts). I'll probably wear it next week. Class was a mix for me. I was definitely rusty, and lost my place in a couple of the combinations we did. I got corrections on some very basic things, but did get at least one compliment from the teacher. Unfortunately, we didn't have much time on the floor, which is when the "real" dancing happens. Hopefully, things will move more quickly now that everybody knows there places.

Sarah and Linda, I'm glad to hear that your classes are going well too. And I definitely know about how quickly one can lose flexibility.

Randee
01-24-2015, 01:30 PM
I will never forget the comments from the ladies in my jazz/ballet class when another guy visited our class. After they told him they were glad he had visited and hoped he would come back, one would loudly make the comment after he left, "if he comes back he'd better be in leotards!" As the other ladies agreed, I took that as their preference/approval of me dressing in leotards and tights with them, making leotards and tights the standard class outfit for all. They did not consider me a crossdresser as my personal dance wear was unisex styles in solid black and navy colors worn with tights under the leotard some if not most of the time. Either way was fine. And no wigs or fake tits. But I do think, being dressed more the same, they tended to treat me like just one of the girls while in their class.

JamieG
02-11-2015, 09:49 PM
It's been a few weeks since an update. I've had two more lessons since my last post. I wore my long sleeve unitard with a white tee to the first, and my new tank unitard with a long sleeve shirt to the second. The new unitard is a little loose on me below the knees and the ankles don't fit tightly. It probably looks more like tight pants than footless tights to the observer. Still, it was very comfortable, I don't have to worry about the waist rolling down, nor do I have to worry about the back zipper like I do with my other unitard. My lessons are going okay, I'm still getting a mix of compliments and corrections. My teacher pointed out that my posture has improved significantly since I started taking classes with her, and I get the sense that the corrections I'm getting now are often fine-tuning after having mastered what she's been hammering me on for so long. At the end of class, we did a very quick pas de basque across the floor. My feet were having a hard time moving at the required speed, and I ended up not being on time with the music, but after a few goes, I started to get it. Because we were basically moving non-stop for 10 minutes, I was short of breath by the end (yes, I know I need to improve my physical fitness).

I hope my fellow dancers are having a great time in their classes!

Sarah V
02-15-2015, 01:00 PM
Hi Jamie!

So glad to hear things are doing good with your classes too!

Class has been going very well for me too as well. So far no problems with the new hip, and I am now able to do a reverse elevated leg barre' stretch, along with the rest of the class once again!---something I haven't been able to do in years. My instructor compliments me every week on how much better I can move now with the new hip. Even did a bit of change ma' small jumps, (really just coming off the floor a bit on my toes) in first and then into second in place, and then adding that to a small waltz turn combinations while we were doing some adagio center and across the floor center work! It really felt good! Also, our regular instructor (studio owner btw) was sick two weeks ago, and we had one of her other teachers fill in for her. The sub gave a real nice class, which was very different from our normal one, but very enjoyable all the same. All the ladies in class liked it. So all in all things are going very well this spring sememster.

In other news for me, I had been having some trouble balancing on releve' lately, and my instructor told me I was doing everything right, but it looked to her like me toes were getting a bit jammed up in my shoes (leather flats) making me unstable on releve' or demi-pointe. So, she told me she thinks my shoes have just gotten a bit too small. To be honest, its been like six years or so since I got new shoes, as leather last forever and once they are broken in they fit wonderfully. But she was right, they had been bothering me I admitted to myself. So it was off to our local dance shop I went, dressed as a guy of course, for a proper fitting.

The girl at the shop, who was the store manager, was just terrific. She spent over 3/4 of an hour with me on my first visit as we worked out my problem and found what my current ballet shoe sizes are. Turns out that my right foot (the operative leg) is smaller then my left foot--go figure, everything on my right leg is different. About a week later, she asked me to come back for a second fitting to try on some additional shoes she had shipped over from one of their sister store's so she cold verify fit on the make and style she thought would work best for me, but for which she normally does not keep in stock in men's, only ladies colors. She kept apologizing profusely for having me try on pink ladies shoes even though it was for sizing izing purposes only.----I just went along with it and smiled---If she only knew!!! She wanted to be sure everything was going to fit correctly before she ordered them for me, as my sizes she does not usually stock and special orders are nonreturnable. However she was able to fit me with a canvas pair, in white, so at least I would have something to wear to class until my orders came in.

So, now that I know my new correct sizes, and I will order a pair or two in ladies ballet pink for myself to have for home practice use.

In ten days I will be taking my annual winter trip back up north to Anchorage AK, but I have already talked with the studio I used to take class with when I lived there, and they have said "no-problem" to taking their adult class on a drop in basis for the 3 weeks I will be there. They also offer a ladies "Ballet Fit" class and I will be taking that one also. So I will get in about 6 classes over the course of three weeks during my trip.

Finally, I just got a eMail from Ms. Linda. She is doing well and is safe, and is right now transiting one of the worlds great canals.

JamieG
02-18-2015, 08:55 PM
Sarah, glad to hear you new hip is working well. I hope the new shoes improve you releve. Cute story about the pink shoes.

I had a great class this week. There were a few times where I felt truly beautiful, as if the music was moving through me as opposed to me trying to move to the music. Now I knew that it was is possible that I was just deluding myself and maybe I looked like a clumsy oaf, but then my teacher actually came over and remarked "Beautiful! Very good!" What a fantastic feeling! I'm so excited about next week's class to see if I can build on the progress I made this week. I want to recapture that brief moment of grace. Oh, and for those who care, I wore my professional looking grey tights. One of the ladies remarked, "A little color?" Part of me wanted to say something about wanting to wear prettier colors like the ladies do (after all grey isn't much of a color), but I held my tongue.

Randee
02-19-2015, 12:35 AM
Sounds like you might have been getting an invite or encouragement to wear more color and an outfit more like the ladies wear. You can fit in like just one of the girls. For the couple of hours you are in class, they will forget you are a guy. It will be so fun.

Katey888
02-19-2015, 05:22 AM
Jamie - of course we care about the details... :)

You've inspired me enough to check out adult classes locally - but not a lot of adult ballet, and I'm not sure I'm ready for something quite so disciplined but I would love to do something that puts just a little more structure into my flailing, disco madness... :lol:

I feel I need something that loosens my hips up - so salsa or disco... or maybe tap or jazz... am I being too ambitious? I feel I need more space than my kitchen... :thinking:

Keep going Jamie - you are an inspiration! :D

Katey x

JamieG
03-18-2015, 12:00 PM
It's been a while since I wrote. Ballet is going well. I haven't quite managed to hit the moment of grace I achieved last month, but now that I know I can do it, I need to keep trying. I had two weeks off, and then took a double class this week to make up for a week I missed. I wore my tank unitard with tight-fitting grey tee over it. As usual, I did some things right, and made some mistakes. The second class was jazz, and although doing back-to-back classes pushes my endurance, it was great fun. During the warm-ups we were doing this thing where we rolled our hips as we took a step. I enjoyed watching myself in the mirror while we did that; the move combined with my unitard just made me look so feminine. We learned a couple of dances, and I couldn't do it perfect, but I did well enough to keep up. At the end we did stretches, and the teacher forced me into a complete side split, which shocked my classmates. Afterwards, someone asked, "Did you know he could do that?" To which she replied, "Yes, he's an underachiever. I have to make him do those things." It feels really good to be able to do the splits, especially since most women my age can't do them.

p.s. Katey, I would definitely recommend taking a jazz class. It will loosen up your hips and it can be great fun.

JamieG
03-27-2015, 11:34 AM
I had another good ballet session this week. Before class the teacher commented that she was impressed with my work in jazz last week. She mentioned that the class has been learning the combination for six weeks, and although I didn't nail it, I "made it through." She also said that she could tell I was picking up new steps faster, she specifically mentioned a step that I got after just three tries. This week, I felt like I was hearing the music better, although I still need to work on matching different combinations to different time signatures. In our floor exercises we learned a fast step across the floor. I pretty much got it going right to left, but had some sort of mental block in trying to mirror it when going left to right.

Barbara Black
03-27-2015, 11:38 AM
Glad to hear of your return. Do you think there is a big difference in the 'center of balance' between women and the (one man)?
I've always been interested in ballet, probably because I was impressed with the skill and strength needed to do it. However, not being either a woman, nor gay, those ideas left me head quickly enough, way back then, sadly.

Linda E. Woodworth
03-28-2015, 06:26 PM
Hi Ladies,

I just wanted to drop a line and let everyone know that I finished up another contract and I'm back in the country for a couple of months so Ballet classes will resume next week. It's tough trying to practice in your room while away from home. I do try but there are times work demands all of my time.

Barbara, I wanted to take ballet as a young boy in the mid-60's but lacked the courage to ask my parents. It was probably just as well as when my wife spilled the beans to my father he was not impressed and never wanted to hear of it again.

Jamie, I don't believe the studio I'm at has a "Jazz" class so that option isn't available where I'm currently studying.

Randee, I'm taking classes with pre-teen and teen age boys and girls so dressing any way other than what the school prescribes isn't an option. The only "Adult" class they have is for beginners and I've definitely moved on from that level of study. I did find another studio that probably wouldn't say anything but I didn't like their style of teaching and don't want to go back if I can avoid it. I'll leave my feminine dressing to practice at home.

I'm am looking forward to resuming class and hope I haven't regressed too far during my absence.

Joan_CD
03-28-2015, 07:22 PM
It's bern so very fascinating to read of all the ballet exploits here. Due to numerous injuries I could never do what you describe. So let me say to all of you... Brava!

i have to admit I'm a little surprised that none are wearing more female outfits. I only say this because I assumed the ladies taking ballet would be artistic and accepting of their classmates dressing like the rest of the class. Not a criticism, just an observation. Brava again to all of you!

JamieG
03-28-2015, 08:41 PM
Do you think there is a big difference in the 'center of balance' between women and the (one man)?
I've always been interested in ballet, probably because I was impressed with the skill and strength needed to do it. However, not being either a woman, nor gay, those ideas left me head quickly enough, way back then, sadly.

Barbara, there's definitely a different between the center of balance for the sexes, but ballet is all about finding YOUR center of balance, regardless of gender. As a child, I also had the mistaken impression that ballet was for women and gay men, but apparently about half of male dancers are straight. If it wasn't for Western assumptions about male dancers and the fragility of male egos, I daresay the number of straight dancers would be far higher.

I just wanted to drop a line and let everyone know that I finished up another contract and I'm back in the country for a couple of months so Ballet classes will resume next week. It's tough trying to practice in your room while away from home. I do try but there are times work demands all of my time.

Welcome back!

Jamie, I don't believe the studio I'm at has a "Jazz" class so that option isn't available where I'm currently studying.

That's too bad. Jazz really loosens you up and teaches you how to move a little more like a contemporary woman.

It's bern so very fascinating to read of all the ballet exploits here. Due to numerous injuries I could never do what you describe. So let me say to all of you... Brava!

Glad you've enjoyed it Joan!

CamillaCD
03-29-2015, 07:20 AM
A little update from across the pond. No breakthrough regarding the piruettes. After one and half turns I still experience that the upper body has swung out of the centre line and I have to abort. Some times, lets say about one in 20, I can do two turns and stay in balance. On a couple of occasions I almost made 3 turns, and wondered what on earth did I do right this time ? I sure would like some one-on-one tutoring on this.

Last week Joan Kunch (https://joankunsch.wordpress.com/) visited our school. She had been a teacher and a choreographer for the school many years ago. A couple of the current teachers were only kids then, and had Joan as their teacher. So, for some of the children's classes and one of the adult classes Joan was a substitute teacher. Our class got some extra dancers this time, as some wanted to meet her.

It was an inspiring class. Joan did things a bit different than our teacher, both at the barre and out on the floor. I think she noticed the faults in all of us at the same time. She could just walk across the floor to a dancer and point out how she could do what she was doing better. Never to belittle, but to explain things to all of us.

Sarah V
03-29-2015, 09:51 AM
Hi All: Nothing much new to report from my classes. Just back into the swing with them. I was gone for 4 weeks from my class here in TX as I was on a bit of 3 week vacation back up to Alaska. I did manage to get in about 6 drop-in adult ballet classes over the 3 weeks at a well known Alaskan studio in ANC, that of all places, has a extensive ballet program for adults.

Linda: Glad you are back safe and sound!! Enjoy your time off with your family and being back home till you start your next work adventure.

Barbara Black: Interesting comment you made about finding your balance. What you might find even more interesting about balance is when pro-ballerina's become pregnant, and if they elect (and quite a number do) to continue to dance throughout their pregnancy, they each find that they have to find & re-learn a totally new balance for themselves as their bodies center of gravity continually is changing with their pregnancy. This can be a real challenge esp. for a professional ballerina, and even more so if she is still trying to continue to do pointe work.

Joan_CD, and Randee: Well God knows I would love to take my classes, which I do enjoy so much, enfemme if I could!!! That would be AWSOME!

However, like Ms. Linda stated so well, I also take class at a studio/school that teaches mostly little kids, pre-teens, and teens.....all of whom have their parents always milling about. As it is, I sometimes get strange/weird looks from the "dance dads" (the "dance moms" are usually o.k.) who are dropping off/picking up their kids, even though I am totally dressed as just a normal guy with a T-shirt and sweat pants on waiting for my class to start.

Also, the ladies and I (I am the only regular guy) in our main adult ballet class have all been together now for quite awhile and we have all become good acquaintances with one another. We all have socialized with each other outside of class, going to dinner together, getting coffee after class, and/or going to monthly ballroom dances together (many of ladies in my class are BIG ballroomer's). So, I don't want to ruin anything that I am so enjoying right now by me showing up at the studio dressed for class enfemme.

And finally ya'll just gotta realize that I live in down here in good 'ol south-central Texas where folks in these parts just don't cotton to well to that sort of thing to start with. Now, if I lived in Austin, TX.......,well then,.......things might be a bit different. So I too, like Ms. Linda does, will leave it to my home practice (I have a home practice barre') where I can be dressed enfemme to work-out.

JamieG
04-03-2015, 11:50 AM
We started a new session this week. Interestingly, since the class was mostly regulars, our teacher went ahead and jumped into fairly advanced material, including step-over turns. Fortunately, we've done these before in earlier classes, and I felt I did okay. Well, at least I didn't melt down and give up. I was turning, although my spotting was off, my line drifted, and I don't think my leg made it to retire during my turn... but I was turning and doing four step-over turns in a row.

There's not much else to report, but I'd like to respond to Camilla and Sarah...

No breakthrough regarding the piruettes.

Sorry to hear progress is slow. Keep plugging away at it. If its any consolation, I'm sure your turns are better mine.

Last week Joan Kunch (https://joankunsch.wordpress.com/) visited our school.
That sounds cool. I would love to see how different teachers do things differently, but so far, I've only had one, although I think she's quite good.

Hi All: Nothing much to report new from my classes. Just back into the swing with them. I was gone for 4 weeks from my class here in TX as I was on a bit of 3 week vacation back up to Alaska. I did manage to get in about 6 drop-in adult ballet classes over the 3 weeks at a well known Alaskan studio in ANC, that of all places, has a extensive ballet program for adults.
That's great you were able to drop in on some classes while in Alaska. I hope you had a great vacation.

Linda E. Woodworth
04-03-2015, 03:21 PM
Hi Girls,

I had my first class is almost 3 months last night. Started out great with the Dance Master working us hard. It was definitely going to be an "Advil" night for me.

Then he had to leave for a meeting and the last 20 minutes were a complete waste of my time. The advanced student who took over gave combinations I didn't know how to do and wasn't showing how to do them. All the other students were thoroughly familiar with the moves so things went so fast I couldn't even see them well enough to try and copy the moves. What really burned me was that when I'm stuck not doing anything the "teacher" kept right on plowing ahead as if I wasn't even there!

I spoke up in class and asked to be shown some of the moves. I spoke with the "teacher" afterwards and aired my frustration in a polite and respectful manner. I also took this up with the head of the studio, again. I'd spoken to him the last time this young lady instructed. I've now had 4 or 5 teachers in my 4 years of ballet lessons. Unfortunately they tend to be either very good or very bad. Just because somebody knows and dances ballet exceptionally does not mean they can teach it.

Sarah V
04-05-2015, 11:01 AM
Hi Jamie, Linda, Camilla, et. al: Well, this is my 1000th post here on CD.Com!! It's only taken about 9 yr's. for me to get here!!

Just wanted to say, I could not think of a more fun and better forum topic for Sarah to make her 1000th post on than this one. (or any other "about ballet" to be truthful). But I am sooo delighted to say I made it here with you all on it.

For me, Ballet has certainly become over all these years, (and well before I found you all here on CD.Com also) one of my favorite hobbies, and one of my most favorite things that Sarah does to express who I am to myself, and for which I can really embrace about being able to be me. Being able to able to take ballet, enjoy my classes immensely, and to have made a number of good friends & acquaintances of other very nice adults who have enjoyed participation in amateur ballet as much as I have has just been fantastic for me.

We were off class this week due to the Easter Holiday, as a lot of the kids at my school/studio are out of town visiting with family. Then back to the good 'ol barre' grind next week.

Happy Easter ladies, all of you. Do get to enjoy the holiday with your family and friends.

JamieG
06-07-2015, 09:04 AM
Hi everyone! Has it really been two months since I last posted about ballet? We just completed another session. My enthusiasm for dance seems to have no bounds. This session, my teacher invited me to participate in a little mini-recital. We learned the choreography in an hour before my regular class and then performed it in front of a small audience a few hours later. There were six of us, half boys and half girls. Well, maybe I should say 3 girls, 2 boys, and one half-boy, half-girl if I'm being really honest. ;-) Anyway, we learned a high-energy jazz combination that takes about 45 seconds to perform. We did it as a group, then the best girl did a solo, then the three guys did it together, then the three girls and finally the group together. We were preceded by a contemporary ballet solo by another girl in my class. The whole thing was over in 10 minutes, which is why I call it a mini-recital. I didn't do as well as I liked, but I had SOOO much fun. I have to figure out how to memorize a sequence of steps more quickly, as my biggest problem was trying to remember the order in which things go. I think I realized that I am primarily a verbal learner, so I need to associate names with each section and then string the names together. I also need to practice certain kind of steps because when I'm hesitant about a given step, that throws me off of the rhythm and things can deteriorate quickly. To help with the second part, I've decided to finally sign up officially for the jazz class. This summer I'll be taking both ballet and jazz, for about two and a half hours of consecutive dancing. I'm really looking forward to it.

Linda, sorry to hear about your experience with the "advanced student" who isn't much of a teacher. If you paid for a class, you should get the benefit of a trained instructor. I agree that just because someone is good at something, that doesn't mean they can teach it well. Sometimes, the people who are naturals at something are the worst teachers, because they never had to struggle with the material. And Sarah, thanks for making "Back in Ballet Class" home to your 1000th post. Congratulates on achieving that mark. I've been here 6 years and am still a bit of a way off.

Linda E. Woodworth
06-07-2015, 11:23 AM
Hey Girls!

Jamie, great to hear about the recital. I don't even want to begin about my train wreck of an adagio!

Unfortunately for me I have a new contract and depart the country later this week for 3 months. No ballet for me, except what I can practice in the privacy of my room.

I did take two classes a week for most of the spring and the Dancing Master remarked on the visible improvement on my technique. I continue to have a ball and am determined to persevere to master the pirouette!

With regard to the "problem" teacher, she taught a full class back in May. She was coached by the Dancing Master about slowing down her style and showing things. It made a world of difference and I had an enjoyable and productive lesson. She is the pinch hitter in case he or his wife, both professionals, can't teach the class.

So everyone, have a great summer and keep on dancing!

Sarah V
06-07-2015, 12:18 PM
Linda, I know you wrote and I owe you a follow up. But do travel and be safe out there. A 3 mo. trip is a long one so hope it all goes well. Glad to hear your technique continues to improve--GREAT for you!!!

Jamie: We just finished up the spring semester ourselves, and I again helped out back-stage with the school's end-of year recital and totally enjoyed it. Since I am retired, at least temporarily for now, I had time this past Monday to help my teachers move props and stuff out of the theater where the recital was held and haul the stuff back to the dance school I go to. After we were done my teacher's and studio owner were filling me in a bit on the announcement the school made that they were going to do a full length production of "Into The Woods" in spring 2016 in addition to the annual winter "Cracked Nut" and the end of the year recital. So defiantly a busy dance winter and spring coming up for me. But the neatest thing they mentioned to me is that they are going to need adults for parts in "Into The Woods" and would I be interested!! I think I am going to take them up on it, but I have all summer to talk myself out of it, so we'll see.

JamieG
07-02-2015, 12:46 PM
Hello fellow ballet fans,

I have begun a new term of classes, as I've mentioned before I'm now taking two back-to-back dance classes. Although I was recovering from a cold, I found that once I started dance, I just forgot about the cold. In ballet, we did our usual mix of barre, center work, and moving across the floor. I didn't learn any new steps, although I did learn one new stretch. The focus was on improving my technique. The teacher kept on getting on one of the guys case for not going in the back; her belief is that the guys should always follow the girls in exercises. I thought about asking what if I'm trans, but held my tongue.

The jazz class was very large, and included three guys. Here I learned lots of new steps as I am much less familiar with jazz. It is a more fast paced class with lots of percussion in the music. I was sweating bullets by the end of the class, but I think that was partly due to the lack of A/C and the number of bodies in the room. We learned a combination and performed it at the end of class. I was happy that even though I didn't nail it, I made no major mistakes on the combo. When performing it, the teach had us run through it multiple times. At one point she had just the girls do it, and then just the guys. Since there were only 4 guys, that gave us lots of space, and it was nice that the girls all clapped for us when we were done with our turn. This might be the first time I was glad to be perceived as a guy in dance class. Weird!

Linda, I hope you're doing well overseas. And Sarah, please keep us posted on whether you'll be dancing in "Into the Woods."

Randee
07-03-2015, 12:55 AM
So I would ask, "If I want to dance at the front, I have to dress like them?" pointing to the ladies. might get you the invite you want.

Marie-Claude, France
07-03-2015, 01:32 AM
I am delighted with this thread, which I read extensively. I confess that dancing the Lac des cygnes with the swan outfit would have definitely one of the goals in my life, if I were a girl.

I am old enough to have seen Maia Plissetskaia, Ghislaine Thesmar and Margot Fonteyn dancing, but the best was a Swan Lake danced by the Plissetskaia... Her arms waved as she did not have bones... Unforgettable.

Sarah V
07-12-2015, 04:12 PM
Hi Jamie and everyone else! Well my adult classes are now over with for this spring school term and for the year now. My adult ballet classmates and I will pick back up with things in the first week of September when we get back to class. I should know more about my instructor's desires & intentions for us adults to participate in the studios production of "Into The Woods" the school is planning for next spring shortly after our adult classes start back up.

In the meantime for the rest of the summer, I will be busy moving into a new home I just purchased so that should make the rest of my summer go by quickly. Is anyone here going to/doing either a adult SI (Summer Intensive) or going to an adult Dance Camp? Would love to hear about it if you are doing one. Hope you all have nice summer and stay safe. Sarah

JamieG
07-17-2015, 02:25 PM
Is anyone here going to/doing either a adult SI (Summer Intensive) or going to an adult Dance Camp?

I hope your move goes smoothly, Sarah. Enjoy the new home. I'd love to do an adult summer intensive or dance camp, but that's just not in the cards for me right now. I have neither the time nor the money.

I ended up missing two nights in my first three weeks of classes, which means I missed four classes total. Fortunately, I can take makeups, but that means I now need to take three classes a night for four weeks or else waste lessons I've already paid for. So now the plan is to take Ballet I, Jazz I, and Ballet II all in a row for at least a little while. I tried it for the first time this week.

Ballet I went well. I'm feeling pretty comfortable in class, although it hasn't reached the point of being too easy for me. I still made mistakes, and still have posture and alignment errors I'm working on. We had four guys in class, which I think is a record.

Jazz I also went very well. I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it, although it will be a long time before I feel that I've mastered the class. There was a step where we swing our arms in opposite directions as we step back and "sit" on the back leg while popping the other leg out and touching the heel to the floor and then bounce once before repeating on alternate legs. I've seen this in class a few times before and couldn't get myself to do it, but this time it came almost naturally, which made me very happy. We learned another dance, and although I definitely had some rough edges on it, I think I have a good foundation to keep working on. Hopefully we'll see some of the same steps in future classes (even if in different combinations), and I can continue working on them.

The last class was Ballet II. In Jazz, I always wear shorts over my tights, so between classes I started to remove them, but my grey tights had visible sweat stains around my crotch area, and I decided just to keep the shorts on. Otherwise, the class started off well-enough. I think I kept up well with everything at the barre except perhaps the frappes (quick, striking kicks). Rather than demonstrate the steps, the instructor would just rattle off their names and then start the music. This forced me to think quick, and although I usually didn't get it all from the instructions, I got enough that I could follow along by watching the other dancers. However, once we took away the barres and focused on floor exercises, I was completely at sea. I was physically exhausted from the first two classes, and the pace of this one was mentally exhausting. At times I felt like I was in the way of the other dancers. We did a whole bunch of turns across the floor, most of which I'd never done before, so I went in back and tried to mimic the best I could. The other combinations involved moving back and forth, which meant that if you missed something you could be in a place where another dancer needed to be. I was so tired and frustrated at the end that I almost quit. In fact, I stepped out for a few minutes because I was out of position and clueless when we started, but then forced myself to get back in the group and take my best shot at it. We did eventually make it to the end, and I was never so relieved to have her call the end to a class.

Normally, I would remove my shorts and put my track pants on over my tights at the end of class, but I was so beat, I decided just to swap my ballet slippers for my sneakers and go. Outside of class, I talked to one very talented young lady about how hard it was. She said that was one of the harder nights in the current session, and that she felt I did good, especially considering that I danced for 3 hours prior to the class. That made me feel a little better, but we'll have to see how the next week goes. Hopefully, dancing for non-stop for 4 and a half hours will do wonders for my cardio. I can tell I'm definitely out of shape right now.

One consolation prize is that while driving home, it was nice to be able see my legs in soft, grey tights, and I rested one hand on my leg and enjoyed the tactile sensation while driving with the other. When I got home, I had a light, late dinner, took a shower and then climbed into bed, although I didn't sleep very well that night. I was sore for the next few days, but no more than after any other particularly intensive dance evening.

Angela Marie
07-17-2015, 03:23 PM
I am a runner but have been told not to run for a while while some health issues (hopefully not serious) are being addressed. I had always wanted to take ballet and actually took a class in college but never continued. I decided now was the time. After three lessons I know why I always loved this art form. Although i'm clearly a beginner even after three lessons I find myself moving more smoothly and throughly enchanted by the grace of the complex movements required to master this discipline. The women in the class are wonderful and very supportive. Even if I do get the go ahead to resume my running I will continue my classes.

Sarah V
07-19-2015, 09:15 AM
Well HI!! Ms. Angela and welcome to this little group!!

Like yourself, we here are all adult recreationalists when it comes to ballet dancing. We all seem to have varying degrees of experience and how long we have been at it, but like you put it so well--we are all doing it because we just love it, it's good exercise, helps with ones deportment, and like you have found already you can make some very lovely supportive friends in class. I know I have. Back in the day, I was quite the runner myself, but I gave it up almost 25 yrs ago, and I am pretty sure heavy running certainly contributed to me having to have my hip replaced almost a year ago now....(and to be fair, ballet probably did not help either....but hey, when I look back at it now, I really hated running (had to do a lot of it for work).....but I loved ballet, so at least it was worth it to me !!!) Even after hip replacement surgery , I am back with ballet and I actually am now more flexible than I have been in years. I do have to take some things easy with it though, and I can't really do jumps any longer.

You will find the girls/ladies here are just great people........Jamie, Linda, and Camilla are all good eMail acquaintances now, and I know they all will certainly be able to at least try to answer any questions you have about adult ballet and starting out with it as a beginner.

Ballet is a relentless, crazy disciplined art form, where most practioner's of it seek perfection in their mastery of it, and that probably is why we as T-ladies get drawn to it, as we try to perfect our female selves in our own lives.

Pls feel free to PM me if you have any ballet questions I can help you with! And again Ms. Angela WELCOME! to our little group here, and do hope you stick with adult ballet as a hobby!

Angela Marie
07-19-2015, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the welcome:battingeyelashes: Now I have a question. Both time and money prohibit me from taking more than one or two classes a week. Do any of you know of a good cd/dvd for beginners? I have a great basement to practice in and would love to find and instructional video.

pamela7
07-19-2015, 10:28 AM
i'm sure there are plenty of youtube vids, but I had one idea. As ballet is about balance, balance, balance, I wondered if pilates classes and maybe some yoga would pass the time developing a) core strength, b) flexibility to support the ballet?

JamieG
07-20-2015, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the welcome:battingeyelashes: Now I have a question. Both time and money prohibit me from taking more than one or two classes a week. Do any of you know of a good cd/dvd for beginners? I have a great basement to practice in and would love to find and instructional video.

Welcome, Angela. My instructor actually discourages us from using videos. It is possible to ingrain bad habits by repeating mistakes without the benefit of corrections. That said, I have two DVDs, but I only use them rarely: "Ballet 201" is probably the better of them. It's almost a complete class, although it has the annoying habit of saying, "Stop the video, and now repeat on the other side." rather than just having the on-camera dancers do both sides. The exercises are pretty doable for a beginner that knows their positions, tendus, and other other basic steps, but there's also a "Ballet 101" for the absolute beginner. I also have "Ballet Class for Beginners with David Howard." I don't find this to be good for exercising because its a whirlwind demonstration of steps. It might be a good reference if you want to see something that was done in class and you didn't get it at the time.

I recommend you spend your time between classes going over things you learned in your last class. Try to repeat the barre work. If you can, also try to remember the floor combinations (adagio and allegro) your instructor gives you, so you can practice them too. Once you know the vocabulary, you should be able to take notes after class to help you remember the combinations. Your instructor will also probably be willing to tell you what music she/he uses in class. A good resource to have is the book "Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet" by Gail Grant.

Most of all, have fun with it!

Belle Cri
07-20-2015, 08:12 AM
I did tango - wonderful for balance and poise, no matter which side you take

CamillaCD
07-23-2015, 04:05 PM
Not many news from this side of the Atlantic. The ballet school follows the timetable of the regular schools, so there won't be any classes until the end of August. I have signed up for the same two classes a week as the last semesters.

I haven't been lazy though. Since mid june, every 2.nd or 3.rd day I have done some practising at home. 10 minutes warmup, 30 minutes of mostly piruette variations, 10 minutes of strength exercises and finally 30 minutes of stretching. I have been thinking I might be overdoing it, but so far my knees haven't protested. No grande plies or grande jettes may be the explanation for that.

I have a goal this semester to be able to do basic fouette piruettes. I have this clip in my favourite internet page list: http://balletoman.com/1426-good-fouettes-maria-clara-coelho-yes.html#vid :)

JamieG
07-23-2015, 06:17 PM
I have a goal this semester to be able to do basic fouette piruettes. I have this clip in my favourite internet page list: http://balletoman.com/1426-good-fouettes-maria-clara-coelho-yes.html#vid :)

What a wonderful clip. If you can get to the point that you could just do a few of those, you'll need to post a video of yourself.

JamieG
08-01-2015, 03:40 PM
Just a quick update. Since I've last reported on dance class, I had two more sessions of three classes in a row. I am really enjoying jazz dance. We keep adding on to the dance we learned in the previous week, and I feel like I'm steadily improving on the old steps and picking up the new steps quicker. Ballet II has been a bit up and down. My second week in the class was much better than the first. We did many of the same combinations, so having some familiarity made it a little easier. The third week though did not go as well for me. I actually sat out some of the jumping exercises near the end as my feet were killing me. However, the teacher goaded me into joining back in for the final allegro across the floor, and I'm glad she did, but I was definitely pushed to my limits. I don't know if things would be different if I just did that class and wasn't tired from the first two classes before. Class finishes pretty late, and not many people are around when I get out, so I've continued with the practice of just throwing shorts on over my tights, instead of completely covering them under track pants.

Sarah V
08-16-2015, 06:48 AM
Hi Ms. Angela, et. al: Sorry to be a bit behind in responding to your question about ballet video's to do from home. I just purchased a new home, and am in the midst of moving and unpacking and have not been on here for a bit. Summer's are slow for dancing, (and this Texas heat this August has been a killer really) so just taking it easy this summer. Back to class in about two more weeks for me.

Ms. Jamie pretty much said it, but I will repeat it, most instructor's do not like their students to go the video route to learn from. However, like Jamie, I too have a a number of video's that I reference and/or use for a home practice. I have all the video's that Ms. Jamie mentioned and the "201" is pretty good. One other series that you may want to look into are the Finis Junge instructional ones. He has some really basic ones, and then they advance to an intermediate level.

Hope that helps and feel free to PM me if you would like to know about specific titles.

P.S. Camilla: Thanks for the link to the Balletoman site. I had never heard of it, but I am going to be taking a closer look at it now that I know about it. Good on you for continuing to have a summer practice and setting a great goal for what you are currently trying to accomplish with your dancing.

Elli87
08-16-2015, 02:30 PM
that's awesome Ive been wanting to try a barre class, but Ballet kavod