PDA

View Full Version : Dressing at work

Julia Cross
01-13-2006, 11:19 AM
I am curious as to how many of us are able to dress to some degree at work. I am fortunate that I work in the creative industry so no one seems to take notice that I often wear blouses, heeled boots (under my pants), hosiery, earrings, etc. Or so I think. In any case, I have actually been complimented by both women, and men on what I wear, and ironically it has always been when I am wearing a blouse or woman's top. When I would respond to the compliment by adding that they (men) would look great in at as well, I usually get the response, I could never wear something like that, it suits you, I am far too conservative. And then there are those who question my orientation because I take great care in ny appearance.

And to clarify things, i don't dress overtly as a woman, that would likely hurt my chances for advancement, I just try to find a balance between the more drab male clothing and more colourful and sensuous women's clothing. And based on the response I have received, I think there is a market for more delicate, colourful and stylish men's wear.

Anyone want to go into business with me?

Julia

MsEva
01-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Hi Julia..I guess I could do it under drab without any problems. I work in an office on my own, but circumstances wouldn't suit it...I work in public education. Lots of parents would just freak out...:o

Katie Ashe
01-13-2006, 11:25 AM
I dress everyday at work to some degree. I'm in the Computer Repair industry.
I do get noticed, as it is hard to hide, sometimes. And some do treat me slightly different, when dressed. But I am happy and look nice, that is all that matter right now.

AprilMae
01-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Where I work requires company supplied clothes, unisex Polo and slacks. But underneath I do wear panties and sometimes pantyhose if its cold. Sometimes I'll also wear neutral shoes and women's trouser socks.

Julia Cross
01-13-2006, 11:35 AM
I should clarify, I actually work in the sports industry, mostly male. I am the creative director. So I can't dress to the point of being overtly noticable. Having said that, I still manage to combine both genders, but keep my style sensible and acceptable. Today for instance, I have men's nutmeg coloured brushed cotton pants with a brown velvet bodysuit and a beigeish patterened blouse with bell style sleeves, as well as brown hose. I would say it looks more romantic that crossdressed but if you looked closely, you would see the bottons are wrong, and that men don't have velvet undershirts, the hose well, you need to really look at my feet closely to truly notice.

Which brings out another point, obviously people don't care that much about what you wear as no one really notices the finer details of what I am wearing anyhow.

Julia

Ms. Donna
01-13-2006, 08:01 PM
I am curious as to how many of us are able to dress to some degree at work.

Hi Julia,

All the time.

See my posts to How many of you are OUT at work? (http://crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=301846#post301846) and Casual Dress Day at Work (http://crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=301821#post301821).

Love & Stuff,
Donna

pammiecd
01-13-2006, 08:38 PM
I live in w. Pennsylvania, so when it's cold, I always wear something "underneath" Lately I've been into tights, or if it's not too cold, I wear regular pantyhose. There have been times that I have worn complete outfits under my work clothes.

Karren H
01-16-2006, 12:12 AM
Most days i wear my standard business lingerie under my bsiness suit - bra, thong, garter, and thigh high stockings. The bra and thong are usually color coordinated to my tie!!!

Love Karren

Sweet Susan
01-16-2006, 01:21 AM
I am curious as to how many of us are able to dress to some degree at work.

Julia

95% drab at work, and lookin' good at it. 5% panties

Nastasha
01-16-2006, 01:29 AM
Panties every day.

I havent worn mens underwear for about 10 years now. Sometimes I'll wear pantyhose and / or a camisole.

Jamie M
01-16-2006, 06:12 AM
Like april already said , i have a company suppied uniform , trousers and polo shirt so there's not much room for experimentation for me , however i nearly always wear opaque navy tights now much more comfy and warm for me and i rarely go to work without clear polish on .

jennig
01-16-2006, 03:42 PM
hi julie thanks for the post iam doing the same thing you are i have pushed the way i dress sometimes overbord at work like you say its a fine balance and i have tried real had to mix both male and fem clothes together and for the most part its ok. like you said for the most part people dont realy look that close to see what you are weareing . as far as nails and hair gos how far do you push the envelope . well take care jennig

Julia Cross
01-16-2006, 03:47 PM
Hi Jennig,

Thank you for your reply, I think many didn't quite get my post. What we wear underneath doesn't really matter that much.

I have grown my hair out for the past year and a half, it is now past my shoulders and I never wear a ponytail. No makeup and no nails as I am a biter, otherwise I would use clear. I wear studs in my ears.

To give you an idea, I have been told I look like Bono or just like a rock star, a little flamboyant in a manly yet androgynous way. Yet half of the clothes are actually women's, no easy feat for me as I am 6'3".

Thank's for "getting it".

julia

SarahP
01-16-2006, 05:07 PM
Hi Julia,

I work in an office with mostly ladies and I have been taking advantage of casual fridays to wear womens clothes to work. For instance, last friday I wore a pink tee style top with 3/4 length sleeves, tommy jeans, pink socks and white and pink sketchers. Every item I had on was womens. I got some really nice compliments from some of the ladies at work on my outfit (especially the shoes). In fact, Lisa (one of my co-workers) seen me wearing reebok princess shoes a couple fridays ago and told me she liked them and asked where I got them and I told her. Well, last Friday she made a point of coming to my desk and showing off her new reebok princess shoes that she got because she liked mine. That was cool. Casual fridays seems to be a good day to dress down. Do you have casual fridays at your work?

Sarah

Julia Cross
01-16-2006, 05:14 PM
It's so liberating to be able to wear more of what appeals to us than what is dictated by gender. If only I could come to work in one of my skirts and loafers, a man in a skirt, would that be so bad?
Julia

Genevieve G
01-16-2006, 05:33 PM
I typically wear jeans & street clothes to work because I don't know when I'll get dirty--it's a technical job. I've worn panties, hose, tights, body suits, etc. I can't go without doing something every day. It's just part of what I am & daggone it, it just feels good.;)

I'd wear more if I could, but I wouldn't want to ruin good clothes. Ruining men's clothes is a different story!

Tina

Julie York
01-16-2006, 05:34 PM
Most days i wear my standard business lingerie under my bsiness suit - bra, thong, garter, and thigh high stockings. The bra and thong are usually color coordinated to my tie!!!

Love Karren

I'm never going to be scared of a business meeting again. Thank you. Though they might wonder why I am chuckling.

Deanna2
01-17-2006, 02:22 AM
Like Heather said, I wear panties all the time. I don't have socks anymore so I wear only pantyhose or ladies sockettes. Don't have any singlets either, so only wear camisoles.

Karyn
01-17-2006, 02:22 AM
I work with the public, so a skirt is definitely out, but I try to wear panties, stockings and garters as much as I can under the uniform...:cool:

jjjjohanne
01-17-2006, 05:46 AM
I wore a skirt, hose, and heels to work for halloween (man upper half) and I was a hit. It was wonderful to openly wear to work. I think I could have worn stuff after that and the women would have been accepting and supportive. I really considered wearing hose under my pants and revealing it to them... but i never did...

RachelDenise
01-17-2006, 05:52 AM
Only drab at work. Still entrenched in the closet and can't wear girly things openly.:cry:

MsMichelle
01-17-2006, 08:39 AM
I would like to give you ladies something to think about. When you are wearing linguire etc. under your drab clothing, I would like you to consider this (especially those of you that do not have a supportive wife or she doesn't know)

You are on your way to work with all your femme things under the business suit. You are two minutes from work and some idiot broadside you. The impact has you in critical condition and you were knocked unconcious. When you wake up you are in a hospital bed with your wife over you. In the chair next to you is all your linguire sitting on top of your suit. Are you ready to explain why you had linguire under your suit??

Something to think about.

For those with a supportive wife, I can tell you with 100% certainty having dealt with many with wives in a support position, wives will support you provided you are either 100% male when you are meant to be or 100% female when crossdressed. What they won't tolerate is a mix and match.

Rachel Morley
01-17-2006, 10:41 PM
For those with a supportive wife, I can tell you with 100% certainty having dealt with many with wives in a support position, wives will support you provided you are either 100% male when you are meant to be or 100% female when crossdressed. What they won't tolerate is a mix and match.

Errr.....I beg to differ:
http://crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20536

WMassGirl
02-24-2006, 09:19 AM
I wear panties every day

Felicia
02-24-2006, 09:39 AM
I would like to give you ladies something to think about. When you are wearing linguire etc. under your drab clothing, I would like you to consider this (especially those of you that do not have a supportive wife or she doesn't know)

You are on your way to work with all your femme things under the business suit. You are two minutes from work and some idiot broadside you. The impact has you in critical condition and you were knocked unconcious. When you wake up you are in a hospital bed with your wife over you. In the chair next to you is all your linguire sitting on top of your suit. Are you ready to explain why you had linguire under your suit??

Something to think about.

I would like to calm the waters in this thought. A female nurse on an EMS squad wrote a great resopnse about this same subject. She explained how this sort of dressing is handled. In short, If you are that seariously injured, most likely all the clothes are cut and removed from you so as to do what is needed for first aid. Normally they are placed in a plain brown bag and released to your S.O. or family at your request. And If you are DOA who cares. LOL

jessbcuzz
02-24-2006, 09:53 AM
Well, I always have my toes painted with two toe rings on each foot. I always wear some kind of panty or boy shorts under my work clothes. I did get brave one day and wear a bra under a baggy sweatshirt, but I wasn't going to be around to many co-workers, so I wasn't too concerned. Wish I could wear sweatshirts in the summer!

JoAnnDallas
02-24-2006, 10:16 AM
yesterday I had on under my male clothing, panties with a pad, pantyhose, a bra and a cami. It is usually a little cool in my office, since I have a ton of computer equitment that needs to kept cool, so I usually also wear a sweater. So the bra doesn't show. I have also worn flesh colored lipstick too.

Sandy2628
02-24-2006, 10:20 AM
I work in heavy industry. I work with all girls in the office when i am not in the plant. So it is really hard to do any kind of dressing. I do wear panties and high tights. I would love to dress at work. The hollween dress sounds like fun. Need to come up with a fund raiser to the best CD at work. Males and females change places.:rolleyes:

wendy
02-24-2006, 11:07 AM
I did it a few times at my old place of work, it was just lingerie (pantyhose, panty, girdle, body shaper with a less distinguished strap and no underwire, and no bra).

I wore my drab male clothes over top. I could get away with it at my old place of work as I had an office more or less to myself and it was rather secluded. I can't do it in my new place, it is a smaller company and there is high traffic.

CutieJulie
02-24-2006, 11:13 AM
I buy only girl socks... mostly just white and wear those with painted toenails and a toe ring.. i did wear panties for a while but when there was a big commotion about another employee on another shift so i stopped because i kept being afraid my shirt would get untucked.

Julia Cross
02-24-2006, 11:17 AM
While I appreciate that most of us wear feminine things under our clothes, my thoughts were more about outwardly items. I was curious what others wear that is visible. How they are received for bending the gender rules? Or if anyone even notices.

Clearly we can wear panties, hose, cami's and such, but who would know, they are all hidden. how about things that are not hidden?

Julia

Annette_boy
02-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Hi All
I dress all the time girl jeans and 3/4 sleeve tops that resemble mens shirts but the buttons are are on tha girlie sice womens sneaks and in cold weather a ladies sweater under all panties and bra and some times stockings
If anyone has noticed they have said nothing I dress like this 100% now for over a year

Hugs Annette:D :hugs:

Julie Avery
02-24-2006, 01:06 PM
While I appreciate that most of us wear feminine things under our clothes, my thoughts were more about outwardly items. I was curious what others wear that is visible. How they are received for bending the gender rules? Or if anyone even notices.Julia

My gender bending at work has involved not so much clothing as grooming and makeup. I've worked with fairly feminine tweezed brows, mascara that matches my natural lash color on curled lashes, slight and subtle eyeshadow, clear lip gloss, shaped, slightly long nails with either a clear base coat of polish or a very light pink of the type you can get in a french manicure kit, and I've worn an ankle bracelet with no socks under long pants which would rarely show.

Out of about 10 co-workers, I'm sure I was noticed by three. One male reacted by treating me very coldly but without hostility; another male seemed to notice and find it all amusing in a friendly, non-ridiculing way; a young woman noticed and would occasionally make little subtle "dig" remarks just to let me know she was on to my game, while remaining otherwise friendly. The others didn't seem to notice or care.

I'd do it all again, as long as the situation is one, as this one was, where I was confident my job wasn't at risk because of my stretching the tacit rules of gender display.

Julia Cross
02-24-2006, 01:18 PM
Hi Julie,

That's the same approach I take. While I am not so much into makeup, I express myself through my clothes and hair. Noone has said anything directly, however, i ahve heard through the grapevine that those working in our warehouse who don't know me assumed I was gay based on my choice of colours and styles that are not typical for men. It doesn't bother me at all as to what others think as I have the confidence in myself to believe that I look more than acceptable. My choice of dress is due in part to me wanting to break down stereotypes of fashion and gender.

However I too would not go so far as to jeopardize my position at work. I worked too hard to get here and wouldn't allow my personal tastes to ruin my economical future. iIt's hard enough just to stay afloat, yet alone succeed.

Julia

Julie Avery
02-24-2006, 01:25 PM
Julia, I hear ya.

You know, the job I'm referring to was seasonal, relating to the summer tourist trade where I live now. At the end of the season, my s.o and I had a cookout, and everyone came except the owners' family (which included the young woman who occasionally made the digs). We're pretty much a hic town here, and based on the cookout, I don't guess anyone took it too seriously in a bad way, surprising as that may seem.

Tammietoo
02-24-2006, 03:06 PM
I work for the government in a male dominated job...with a uniform. So any outward/visible clothing or jewelry is simply out of the question...sigh.

That said, I think that it's very kewl that some of you have the opportunity and the courage to push it a little. It's funny that you say most people don't notice that you are wearing female clothing, they just see what they want to see. Rockstar or artist wearing more colorful/flambouant clothes in their minds is acceptable. Wish I could experiment with it a little.

JoAnnDallas
02-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Outwordly....I have long nails compared to most men, almost 1/4" past my figure tips, and sometimes wear flesh colored lipstick. No one seems to notice and care. The only time someone says anything was like the one day I was in the bank and the girl teller commented on how nice my nails were. I have gotten a few comments about my nails, all from GG's. One even looked at her BF and said "Why don't you have nails like he does". Boy got a dirty look on that one. LOL

Sierra Evon
02-24-2006, 04:13 PM
I've mainly done just warehousing for work , nites, etc. nothing with the
direct public , but when on the job for me , I wear my female drab's ,
womens jeans , dark colors, still stuff I can get drity and it does, but
undernieth, cotton panties , trouser sox, the kinda work Ive always done
it realy doe'nt matter , you could come to work looking like BOZO the
clown , as I like to refer to my co-workers as!, for me its kinda of a
low key femme drab, never had a problem with anyone caring about it
been doing it this way for years, it realy comes doen to the type of line
of work that your doing or appling for, I keep my real dress'in-up stash
for off time thats my time , never far from it tho, keep'in tune with my
femme side at all times, the world will never take that away from me ...
good-luck all................SIERRA.......0.02

Jenn2716
02-24-2006, 05:12 PM
I work in an office environment with 4 guys, and while they are all nice, they are somewhat conservative, and my boss is the most conservative of all of them. Plus, we usually receive anywhere from 5 - 10 visits from people in other departments throughout the day.

That being said, the only visible femme clothes I can usually get away with are tight women's jeans. I wear jeans or cargo pants everyday (its very casual wear at the office), so I have two pairs of women's jeans that I wear during the week. When we do need to dress a little formal, like if a big wig is stopping by, I have a pair of black pin-stripe slacks, that I've worn and nobody bats an eyelash.

I have gone to work totally enfemme for halloween, that is wear my avatar pic was taken.

Julie Avery
02-24-2006, 05:43 PM
I work in an office environment with 4 guys <snip>When we do need to dress a little formal, like if a big wig is stopping by, I have a pair of black pin-stripe slacks, that I've worn and nobody bats an eyelash.

Whoa! I have an elastic-waistband, no-pockets pair of navy blue pinstriped slacks that I wear around the house, but wouldn't dare wear them to work. You go, Jenni!

Billie Renee
02-26-2006, 12:52 AM
I wear a uniform of such but I wear womens jeans and my uniform shirt witha bra underneath and sometimes with my forms. Always wear my panties don't own any mens underwear ,light make-up, and I have my nails done. Now I work out in the public in my job as a tow truck driver but no one has said anything but complements on how I look.I dress as comfortable as I can and I hold a sort of confidence in my appearance. When I pick up a female customer we have a lovely girl chat as I take their car to the shop they want to go to and we talk about make-up and dresses and all kinds of girls stuff it is so much fun for me to be out in the open at work.

fancy nancy
02-26-2006, 01:11 AM
I work in an ice plant where the temperture is always 20 degrees. To keep warm, I generally wear tights under my company uniforms . Also, you will find me wearing panties under my tights.I would feel naked without my panties and tights under my pants . Also, I even wear a girdle too.I feel everyone should be able to wear anything that they want to wear without criticism by others. :happy: :happy: :) :)

jenny cd 4
02-26-2006, 12:03 PM
i often wear holdups and panties under my suit trousers. I love it thinking of all the women around not knowing what im wearing underneath, i wonder if any of them would find it thrilling?

KimberlyMN
02-26-2006, 07:33 PM
every thing I wear is womens clothes from my shirts to my shoes and under everything too I wear styles that are neutral but were made women except for my underthings .. they are always lacy or pretty patterns or both. I have been wearing panties 24/7 for over 10 years and everything else for about 6 I cannot even imagine wearing mens clothes again. They look and fit better. Not to mention I just feel so much better wearing them.

Kisses,
Kim :be:

KimberlyMN
02-26-2006, 07:37 PM
I wear to work all the time as a computer repair technician. I am sure there have been some that have noticed .. but no one has ever said anything, it would be really awsome to wear a skirt and blouse or a dress, but I cant risk going too far as if the customers dont want me to come back I would no longer have a job.

Denise01
02-26-2006, 08:38 PM
I too wear panties now 24/7 and have been doing so for about 5 years now.

When I am working or going out where Denise is not know, I still wear femme clothes but it is something that is gender neutual as they say, be it slacks, ladies jeans, ladies sweaters or tops.
Depending on what i am doing and where i am going i will wear a little make up. If I am going femme, will wear blush as well as lipstick, however when out where Denise is again not known, will wear a minimum of concealer, and so far no one has ever noticed or if they have been polite enought to say nothing.
as a matter of fact, I have not bought any mens clothes now for between 3 and 4 years, and ladies slacks fit better than any mens i have. As for shoes I am blessed with very narrow feet, 11 Double A ladies. Any mans shoe is too wide, but i have found some ladies walking shoes that are gender neutual, and they fit great.

Denise