PDA

View Full Version : Alright this is one of my biggest worries..

ShadowWarryor
04-27-2014, 05:37 AM
I got a great new job and all but problem is what exactly am I suppose to do or tell them about me being a transgender? I'm in the process of transitioning and I'm pretty sure it will become obvious in the future. I don't want to get fired or anything. Maybe I'm stressing too much on this but I actually want to keep this job and avoid any conflicts that may arise from this.

Wildaboutheels
04-27-2014, 07:40 AM
You are FtM. Have you actually started working there yet? Is it possible they have to fulfill some quota of female workers? Not sure if current law allows that but you probably need to get with the person who hired you immediately and be proactive rather than reactive. These days companies can and will find all kinds of reasons for dismissal.

Chari
04-27-2014, 08:22 AM
Consider going to the Human Resources department of that company to have a private meeting with them. Do take any and all of your written documentation (from doctors) to be presented at this meeting. Explain honestly your concerns and put the ball in their court as to the next step, but be assured you do have legal rights for a "wrongful dismissal"! Enjoy.

JenniferR771
04-27-2014, 10:26 AM
Discuss it with a lawyer if you wish--but transgender has very few legal protections. Gay has some slight protection--in the more enlightened states.
Your best protection is being a darn good member of the team. MVP. (Most Valuable Player), if possible. If your boss likes you--you will be the last to go.
Be there on time. Bring cookies. Follow the rules. Never do an incomplete job. Always double check your work. Never embarrass your boss with his boss. Always be nice to customers--and super nice to other employees.
You can do this Shadow, because--you HAVE to.

Nicole Erin
04-28-2014, 09:40 PM
The way things are -
if you show up to work when you are suppose to, don't get caught stealing, and don;t get into arguments or fights - they are not going to ask you to leave. There may be the possibility of a lay-off if business gets slow but that has nothing to do with your gender expression.

I know where i work - yes their anti-discrimination policy is quite strong. The main thing they are happy about is when people even bother to show up. Unless someone is rocking the boat with drama or bad attendance, companies don;t usually just ask people to leave for the hell of it. They CAN but normally don't.

I am guessing it will be at least a few months before your gender presentation becomes evident by how you present? By then you will be established as a good worker anyways.

ShadowWarryor
05-22-2014, 01:18 AM
I've worked my ass off and got a raise and rewarded! And found out my job offers insurance that covers transgender expenses! XP I will talk to them about it at a later date. But for now since it's not obvious, I'm just going to let it be til I have to say something. I will talk to the higher up people. No one should be able to fire based on this. It's discrimination in the workplace and companies can/should get in a lot of trouble if they were to.

Jorja
05-22-2014, 12:44 PM
My suggestion would be to continue on working as you are now and later on when you have all your ducks in a row talk to your HR department. In the meantime learn what you can about your company's policy, state or country's laws about transgender rights.

Dianne S
05-22-2014, 01:44 PM
but transgender has very few legal protections.

It depends on the jurisdiction. Where I live, we have fairly robust protection (http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/policy-preventing-discrimination-because-gender-identity-and-gender-expression). ShadowWarryor should check the rules in his jurisdiction, check the company policy and then make a plan to talk to HR, as others have said.

ShadowWarryor
05-24-2014, 05:56 PM
Hmmm I will look into this! And check with HR about it too. I remember diversity was a big thing they accepted, and they do not discriminate against gay/lesbains, so I'm hoping they don't with transgenders. Being as they cover it in their medical expenses
(including the surgery), I think they don't discriminate. But you can never be too careful with this, I want to make sure. I'll ask HR but right now I need to climb up the ladder a bit so I'm a worthy employee that's very beneficial to the company