PDA

View Full Version : Southern Comfort questions!

maya1love
05-06-2014, 09:13 PM
Hi all:

I am thinking about going to Southern Comfort this year. I would love to hear from some of you who have gone before!

I think my hesitation is that I like to dress maybe once or twice a month, and to be dressed constantly for three or four days seems like a pretty big deal to me! I'm not sure that I'm looking forward to it! The reason is that I spend about 1-2 hours getting dressed. If I have to do that every day (and sometimes two or three times a day to freshen up), I think I might get a little tired. Have any of you felt the same way?

What about shaving your face? (for those of you who still have beards) If you have to have a close shave every day, does your face get irritated?

Do any of you spend time in drab at the Conference in a tshirt and sweatpants? :)

Adriana Moretti
05-06-2014, 09:17 PM
what is sounthern comfort??? is that the convention is GA ? GO to any you can.....but def let me know more info on that one......i love to travel

GenieGirl
05-06-2014, 09:27 PM
I feel your pain girl! I cant even go 2 days/nights as a girl because its just too painful to shave 2 days in a row! I have to wait 2 days minimum between shaving my face because my face is so sensitive and it still is super irritating with a days wait in between! I usually wait at least 3 days before shaving in general. Luckily my hair isnt super thick and dark. 2 days without shaving for me is like most guys 5oclock shadow. On one side i've always had super soft skin like a girl...but unfortunately at a price with it being so sensitive! Soo wanna get my facial hair removed! Thats my goal for next year :).

PS: I would die if I had to shave 4 days in a row =-0...and you look lovely, such a beautiful lady

Ginger

Adriana Moretti
05-06-2014, 09:31 PM
i gota agree with u gals but i found the MORE I shave the easier it gets.....and cocoa butter is your best friend......i can NOW do 4 days....it took some time ....

Tami Monroe
05-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Shaving everyday was the worst part of being in the military. Granted there were some tricks we learned like shaving in the shower, or right after, etc., but even those wore out their usefulness after a while. I have always hated shaving, and not just for CD purposes. I need to get hair removal done on my face down the road myself, I believe.

lpjamey
05-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Maya... crap you look amazing, you could go to any event, any place, any time and stop time.

RenneB
05-06-2014, 09:54 PM
I've heard a lot of good things about the conference. As far as going a few days, yea, I shave close every day. When dressed up, I carry a razor in the purse to do a few touch ups later in the day. Dressing for multiple days is a row is a pain but what a blast. Yea, it takes me at least 90 minutes for the entire routine from shower to out the door.

One of these days, when I have money and time, I'll make it to Atlanta....

Renne......

samantha rogers
05-06-2014, 10:06 PM
I have not been before, but I am going this year for sure. Already registered and booked my hotel. A couple of friends are going with me. I am so excited I may pee. Let me know if you are going to be there.
Hugs

cdkateinboston
05-06-2014, 10:08 PM
So I would really love to chat with some girls that have gone to this event. I live in Atlanta and had NO idea this existed until recently and am very much considering going this year.

NathalieX66
05-06-2014, 10:12 PM
There is no fun and no point in dressing in drab at Southern Comfort Conference.....for obvious reasons. Otherwise, why have the event?
I'm a two time veteran of SCC. I did a road trip from New Jersey almost three years ago with a dear friend that has since transitioned. And last year I flew on a plane to Atlanta & back dressed as female wearing a dress.

I see Southern Comfort as a big opportunity to meet and make friends. You can be a crossdresser that only gets to dress up twice a year, or you can be a post-op transsexual. It is one of the best and most fun events I've ever been to.

A little about me. I just started laser hair removal right before my SCC #1,and still had very thick beard hair. And, Yes, shaving every day was a bit irritating for me back then.
On SCC#2 with copious amounts of laser and electrolysis, it was not much of an issue.

I do recommend, for those that have thick beards and hair, and are shaving........please buy and liberally use Tend Skin with a cotton ball. It will calm your skin and reduce bumps and rash. You can buy Tend Skin on Amazon.com

There's a 50/50 chance that I'll make it to SCC this year, but I will definitely be there in the future.

Enjoy dressing as a woman in all feminine glory when you go. Be a girl. Get yourself a beautiful gown or dress for the Saturday night gala. Southern Comfort Conference is what it's all about.

Tracy Hazel Lee
05-06-2014, 10:12 PM
I can shave every day with very little irritation (sometimes some mild redness, but not uncomfortably so). But I find that if I wait more than a day or two, I get a MUCH closer, smoother result, with the hair taking noticeably longer to reach stubble length.

Years ago, when I used to go out with friends, I would purposely stop shaving two days before the night out, in order to get that ultra-close shave. If I ever went to an event that was more than just a one night (or one day) outing, I would be conscious about whether I could get a close enough shave the next day, and still be able to hide the small amount of shadow that always exists, even after shaving.

Though, I think with the right motivation from friends, I could probably look past that and just have fun. I don't know... I've never gone to anything for longer than eight hours, and certainly not two or more days in a row... Something to consider I guess. :)

samantha rogers
05-06-2014, 10:16 PM
My facial hair is slow to grow and fairly fine. I usually dont even show until nearly 36 hours after a really close shave. I am not worried about shaving for SC.

AKADonna
05-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Have not personally been, but recently attended the Atlanta Tri-Ess chapter meeting and they sponsor parts of the Southern COmfort even and everybody just raved about it. Many gurls come fully dressed and some are in drab at most of the events on the weekend, but it sounds like they all get dressed to the nines for the grand ball (or whatever they call the Saturday evening extravaganza!). I think the concerns about having to shave several times is not of a concern as attendees are Ok to come drab or dressed to any of the workshops or exhibit hall. (There are exhibits there from several vendors who supply and support the CD community. I'm gonna be there, for sure.

maya1love
05-06-2014, 10:24 PM
Hi ladies, thanks for your comments. But, just wondering -- is there any time that any of you are in drab at the convention? say, in between events in the middle of the day? just relaxing without being tucked, no wig, and in sensible shoes???

samantha rogers
05-06-2014, 11:22 PM
Maya, I don't think there are any CD police...LOL. I think you can be however you want.:battingeyelashes:
Personally, though, I don't plan to even take drab clothing except to wear on the plane there and back.
For me, the whole point is to know I can go four days 24/7.
Hope to see you there!
Hugs

docrobbysherry
05-07-2014, 12:51 AM
Been to 4. The hotel usually has about 750 dressers there in various degrees of trans. I met a number of CD/Ts's the first year that I met later at future events. However, they were now anatomically correct women!

U never have to leave the hotel the entire week if u don't wish to. My first visit there was also my first time dressing out and meeting other dressers. I felt I had died and gone to Dressers Heaven.:o
And, I didn't leave the hotel but once that trip. But, felt very comfortable dressed out in the hotel by week's end!:battingeyelashes:

The general look there seemed to be nice, Business, or Business Casual in the day time. Cocktail outfits and dressy looks generally in the evening. Unless there's a special function. (They have a couple). :daydreaming:

Nearly no one appears in drab during the conference as I recall. What stands out vividly in my mind is the teary "goodbyes" between girlfriends Sunday AM. Many now completely unrecognizable in drab on their way back home!:eek:

Jesse Six
05-07-2014, 05:25 AM
Hi Maya,
You may want to check if Southern Comfort has a code of conduct posted online before you go.

Some meetups (I`m thinking of Esprit Gala, specifically) have a dress code. Having said that, Esprit doesn`t require you to stay en femme, as long as your male clothing is up to standard. I guess they want to keep things classy. But your sweatpants idea might not fly.

Beverley Sims
05-07-2014, 06:24 AM
The only thing that keeps me away is the tyranny of distance and other commitments at that time.
Love reading about it though. :)

aprilgirl
05-07-2014, 06:39 AM
Hi Maya,

If you do go, I would suggest bringing some sensible shoes along with your heels. By the third day my feet were so swollen I had to go out just prior to a Saturday evening formal and buy a larger sized heel. There is an opportunity for a little down time, especially if you skip a session or two, so you could unwind some in your room. The entire experience is exhausting, but in a good way, and I highly recommend going to anyone who is considering attending. Kim

natcrys
05-07-2014, 06:48 AM
The Southern Comfort Conferences always sound and look so cool with lots of the online girls meeting up and having fun! :)

It's such a shame for me that it's so far way.. the plane ticket alone would make it so expensive! :(

Linda E. Woodworth
05-07-2014, 07:06 AM
Yes I am a three time veteran of SCC.

I would drive to Atlanta enfemme, 5 hours for me, on the Tuesday of the conference and check in early. There are already plenty of folks there and after the first time you meet up with old friends.

By the time Sunday rolled around and the conference was over I couldn't wait to get back into male mode. My face was almost raw from shaving twice a day and scrubbing the makeup off every night.

Be that as it may I just "Love" going there and plan to go again as many times as I can.

As are as dressing rules are concerned I have seen some girls switch from female to male while at the conference. Really, how are they going to tell since there is a large Trans-men contingent there. The only rule I remember them insisting on was that you use the bathroom for the gender you were presenting and use it properly. No standing up at the toilet ladies! SCC almost got shut down years ago when that happened and a GG complained to management.

By the way, I recommend going out away from the hotel even if it's just to the shopping mall across the street. I've done that every time and never regretted it, even when I locked my keys in the truck at a mall miles away from the hotel. Luckily I had my phone in my purse and just called AAA. The gentleman came out and had me going in no time. He didn't bat an eye at my appearance and I'm just sorry I didn't grab a picture with him to record the event.

Linda E. Woodworth
05-07-2014, 07:08 AM
Oh I forgot my note to Natcrys. I've met many girls there from all over the world. England and France were there my last conference and on the second one a woman from South Africa was there. She was even going to Fantasy Fair in Rhode Island later that year. I was envious.

So it is possible.

Good Luck!

Jocee
05-07-2014, 08:30 AM
Go.... do not hesitate because you have to shave twice a day..... SCC are the best experience you can have. It's liberating, so much so, I don't bother going to the seminars anymore, but rather get in the car and explore Atlanta and interacting with people.

CamillaCD
05-07-2014, 11:32 AM
I have been to the SCC once. As far as I know there is no rule saying you have to dress up every day. You can dress up part of the day or just for some of the events.

Paula Klein
05-17-2014, 05:31 PM
Though I have wanted to attend several times in the past (and life basically got in the way), this year will be my first SCC. My wife checked out the SCC website and declared "that looks like a perfect Paula event!", giving me the approval that matters the most. LOL! I am looking forward to the whole experience, and really hope to meet some of my girlfriends from this site 'face to face' for the first time.

I have done 3-day weekends totally girly in the past, and agree with the concerns about 'wear and tear' on the face. I also grudgingly agree with the earlier comment about 'sensible' shoes ... though I can bear a whole lot of pain to keep my stilettos on!!!

cdkateinboston
05-18-2014, 07:34 AM
I have yet to go but seeing how I've now lived in Atlanta for two years I'm thinking this is an event I should start attending (never been confident enough to go out dressed )

Linda E. Woodworth
05-18-2014, 09:22 AM
Kate,

Don't worry about being a first time attendee or that you've never been out dressed before. You are not alone! Check the web site but when you register you can tell the organizers that you are a first timer and they have a program to provide people help you get out of your room as your feminine self.

You aren't the first time somebody goes public for the first time at the event. They are prepared for helping you make that important first step!

I would also suggest that even though you live in Atlanta that you stay at the hotel. Then you are immersed in the total experience with 1000+ trans people! It's definitely a friendly environment.

Good Luck!

samantha rogers
05-18-2014, 09:25 AM
Hope to see you there, Kate!

Brooklyne dawn
05-20-2014, 07:08 PM
I really want to go to this. I'm pretty nervous about the whole thing. Going alone and not knowing anyone is a bit scary

Farrah
05-20-2014, 08:26 PM
I would love to go, but my profession--a teacher, wont allow it. School starts that week of the SCC. However, I'm going to try to attend at some point!:)

bimini1
05-21-2014, 02:21 PM
I've dreamed of going ever since they started it but as I am originally from that area and still pretty much closeted I was too paranoid. I have gone over to the hotel and met up with some friends in drab before they got dolled up for the event. For the events I have attended that usually begin about mid week and go thru Saturday I had to shave twice daily. Once before going out in AM then again before the evening sessions. Believe me, after about 3 days of this it's gets old fast. By Saturday night I am pretty much spent. Have a great time though!!

Maria in heels
05-21-2014, 06:47 PM
I don't think that you are going to have any problems at all at Southern Comfort Maya...! You should go while you have the chance !!!!!

Connie.Marie
05-21-2014, 08:10 PM
Maya,
I was hesitant to go too but did it for a short time & loved it.
I'm close, so last year I drove down Friday after work & changed in a friends room. It was wonderful seeing all the others, talking (lots of great stories), drinking, laughing, karokeing (is that a word?) sang in front of a crowd en femme, taking pictures ... used the ladies room. Met some other ladies from South Carolina & a few from Knoxville, TN, Saw ladies that looked better than gg's & others for who it was probably their first time out. It was over way too soon & I drove home en femme early Saturday morning.

You don't HAVE to stay dressed the whole time. Take it at your own pace. I would have loved to go to some of the seminars, gotten a make-over, done the evening dinners & the ball ( Great reason to go shopping).

I would love to go for longer this year but not the whole time. We'll see. As others have lamented, life sometimes gets in the way..

GO,, you'll have a fantastic time!

Hugs, Connie Marie

Maxine_b
07-04-2014, 06:23 PM
If you go stop in and say Hi...I'll be there. :-)

5150 Girl
07-05-2014, 12:17 PM
I've not been (due to financial reasons) however, I understand the itinerary is posted in advance, so maybe you could pick one or even two days that most appeal to you and just go for that day.