PDA

View Full Version : Happy Mother's Day

Sophie Yang
05-11-2014, 09:54 PM
It has been a while since I have posted anything and this is a lot longer than I intended. I just flowed out.

I have been on the road for the last seven years or so and am currently in Minnesota. A couple of weeks ago I found out that I will be working from home with limited to no travel for at least two years. Wife is so happy to finally have her husband and his alter ego home. Well the alter ego is to be seen.

Last week went to FED-Ex to pick up some boxes to ship stuff home. What a rip off. Anyway got five, not nearly enough. The manager of the department was moving to another office and grabbed the rest of hers. I like that price much better! The FED-Ex shipping bill is going to be high, don't like that.
When I fly home this Thursday, I'll check four bags, two are free. I never thought I would think that paying for bags on a commercial airline was a bargain until I checked out the FED-Ex prices.

Last weekend, I walked over to Salvation Army and picked up one large suitcase and two large sports bags. There was a young women carefully picking through all the bags. We got to talking and it turns out that she just lost her apartment and job. Here I am preparing to go home and here she is now homeless. Tore at my heart. We ended up checking out at the same time but different lines.
She beat me out the door and I lost sight of her. I started walking back to my apartment when I spotted her on one of the paths down by the river. Down I go and she is changing her shirt as I arrive. She was a little surprised to see me there. I told her I just wanted to help her out and reached into my purse and handed her a $20.00. I told her I just wanted to help her out. I rarely carry cash. We hugged, talked a little bit. She said she would be fine. If I were thinking, I would have offered her my rice cooker and all the rice that I have. Anyway, I hope she finds a job and wish her well. I haven't seen her since.

On Monday May 5th I walked down to the comedy club to see if I could get a reservation for the Tuesday night show. Kory the bar tender, said the show was sold out, but he got me a seat anyway. For me, the funny thing about comedy is that it is funny at the time, but I can rarely remember any of the jokes. When I got there the following night, the bar and dining area was packed, probably due to the nice weather. I ended up taking a seat at a long common table. There was a group celebrating a birthday party to my right and a couple just trying to get food to my left. One of the couples with the birthday party had been fighting and the guy to my right was ribbing them a little bit and he drew me into the conversation. Not that I really wanted to be drawn in. When my food finally came, it was show time and wolfed down my food. Not very lady like. Anyway it turns out the line going upstairs to the show was winding down the stairs into the lobby. The waiter, Steven, greeted me and showed me to my seat.

The following night, Wednesday, I dropped by the club to make a reservation for for the Saturday night show. Christine called out to me when I came in. I told her that I would like to get a picture of Kory, Steven, and her either before after the show. Well, the night of the show, Christine was winding down her shift, Steven was out, and Kory was working the show. Did get my picture with Kory and Christine. The opening act was a little dry, but the headliner was a riot. After the show, shared a freeze dried chocolate covered strawberry with Kory. I usually order a Merlot and munch on a couple of them. The comedy club doesn't offer a lot in the way of desserts. Told Kory that I would probably get some tickets as gifts this week before I go.

Thursday saw tickets open up for EE for the Friday premier institution 150th celebration event show with fireworks afterwards. Walked down to the Civic Center and picked up a ticket. They wanted everyone seated by 7:15 for the 7:30 show. After work, changed into Sophie's business attire, grabbed a sandwich, a coffee at Starbucks and headed over the the Civic Center for the show. What a great show. What a great Institution.

After the show, walked over to the VFW to see if Sammie was there to tell her that next week was my last week in town. Unfortunately she was off that night. Walked back over to a restaurant that had a couple of girls hanging outside the door. I think there were trying to get past the two guys at the door. I assume they were checking ID's. Well business attire, late Friday night, just waltzed in. Young college crowd. Ordered a drink and people watched for about 30 minutes. Then hit the dance floor for about an hour and headed home pooped out.

Got tired of packing today and headed down to the CO-OP to tell Grace that next week will be my last week and to get my son's college handbook from Reed. Grace had an interest in attending. It was a slow day and I hopped into her line when it opened up. She immediately said that she had the handbook in one of her purses,but not the one with her. She works Monday and Tuesday nights also. I told her I would pick up the book up Monday night. She went to her Prom last night. We talked a little about that. I asked her when she graduates, June 7th. As we were winding up our conversation, she turns, smiles at me, and says she is going to miss me and happy mother's day. She knows about my older son and this got us talking about my youngest son who graduated from UC Santa Barbra.

With all the packing, I forgot it was mother's day. Yes I did call mine and arranged for dinner this Friday. Grace has such a warm out going personality that she always makes my day, no matter how short our encounter is. She is one of the few people who I would describe as curious and happy. She is getting two tickets to the comedy club and a $20, not sure what the drinking age is in MN as a graduation gift.

Back to packing.