PDA

View Full Version : THE only way "we" are ever going to be taken seriously...

Wildaboutheels
05-14-2014, 11:07 AM
is ___________________? Of course since "we" encompasses such a broad spectrum, it's a tricky question. But let's face it. Many folks do "learn" almost everything they know about certain subjects from TV or movies?

There are ALL kinds of "Reality" shows out there. Must be a half dozen cooking shows alone. Not my thing but obviously very popular. Surely something can be learned about cooking from at least some of them?

What IF a network came out with a Reality show about CDers? What might it look like? Would it need to have them cooking, and/or have comedic elements to not get killed in the Ratings? And just what might they be wearing while cooking pray tell? Would the participants themselves vote each other off weekly based on whatever? If they passed or not? Or something else. Shopping alone in the women's department? Dressed as a guy or a woman? Handling various "surprises" while out dressed?

If one "winner" was declared at season end, what might they win? Would you volunteer for such a show and what might you like if you were to win?

Seriously, one show here or one movie there with a CDer of some type is not liable to make much of a dent is it? Better if folks just go on out dressed... but if most are dressed to "blend", how many folks [other than other CDers] are likely to notice and/or care?

Of course some people DO think ALL "Reality" shows are just awful and have no redeeming qualities whatsoever and maybe you are one of those? Is ANYthing that might get people to listen, think or pay more attention to minorities a bad thing?

Alice Torn
05-14-2014, 11:44 AM
I absoluely hate realith shows, and even one with cd's each show, i would not watch. Sorry, I like MeTV, and Antenaa tv old shows.

samantha rogers
05-14-2014, 11:49 AM
I would guess a portion of the difficulty with such a venture might be in locating willing and enthusiastic
participants. I mean, many girls would, I think, be leery of attention for a variety of reasons. There was already the Ru Paul Drag Race program, and I seriously doubt that did anything toward promoting the image most of us would want. But I fear the participants on that show are exactly the kind that would apply to any show looking for crossdressers. Not the image I would want at all. Meantime, the girls best suited to promoting a positive and stable image are the very ones least likely to want to out themselves, or so I would think, wouldn't you? Are there enough successful, confidant, stable and fully "out" girls, and with some kind of stage presence and charisma to be found willing and brave enough to place themselves in that position? I don't know.
I see the publicity of a positive image program as extremely valuable, make no mistake. I just fear finding an appropriate cast would be tough. I also think more programming like Drag Race would only reinforce stereotypes we (I) do not want to see furthered.
Hmmm. I wonder?

Tina_gm
05-14-2014, 11:50 AM
More people do notice than you and many on here think, it is just a matter if they care or if they are to react in any way noticeable, but they do notice. Why do I think this, because people notice so many other things about other people.... what makes anyone on here think they have some major stealth or cloaking ability?.... yes they notice.

As for the intriguing idea of CDers as a reality show, doesn't Ru Paul already have something like this?? Drag race or whatever? If it were to be more mainstream, without some sort of competition and a weekly drama.. and with that here would come all of the stereotypes which RuPaul already covers. it would lose its novelty quite quickly I would think. CDers and partners discussing and dealing with CD issues, most of which are N/A to the general population, so it would not hold a lot of interest except for those of us who are within the realm of that interest. And, that is sort of already covered anyway.

Lorileah
05-14-2014, 12:07 PM
the only way reality shows survive is if they have something you relate to (ie cooking) or something over the top (ie RuPaul and Duck Dynasty)

If you want to portray TGs in a positive manner you will have to follow them in a normal manner on "everyday" tasks. Such as the DQ who just does shows and benefits and how they live the rest of the time. The CD who is closeted (would add drama if they were married and the wife didn't know but I think she would catch on with the cameras and all), the CD who goes out (and wont mind if their boss finds out) the GQ or Gender fluid person's daily life and the the TS (it would have to be a TS who doesn't mind everyone knowing they changed genders afterward..which a lot of TSs don't want). Now to make this entertaining...would you have the drama of the Queens that RuPaul had (mostly made up for ratings)? Would you have the compassion of the family trying to hold it together? Would you have the documentary of the whole transition?

I can promise you this idea has been pitched before. But you either make it outrageous which won't help (that is 90% of reality) or you make it relatable where people end up feeling good about the cast. Sorry ain't gonna happen with ratings

Wildaboutheels
05-14-2014, 12:15 PM
The "Rock" of all people had a "reality" show last summer I think. Titled Hero or "the Hero" or something close. Don't know how well it did in the ratings OR if it will return. Personally, I thought it was a very well done show.

If nothing else, it made people THINK.

SOME people. Seems to me [and I have worked with large groups of people all my life] that most folks, once they pass twentyish, become very rigid minded and unlikely to change their attitudes/ways. Thankfully, not all people are like that.

aprilgirl
05-14-2014, 12:27 PM
The only reality television show I would find entertaining is locking a roomful of network executives into a room and watch them come up with an original thought for a program.

kimdl93
05-14-2014, 12:27 PM
I am one of those who finds little or no value I so called reality tv. They don't present reality, they pander to and reinforce established prejudices. Shows like "will and grace" are often credited with changing attitudes, but I doubt it. Rather, they reflected evolving attitudes.

Things change when people get out and conduct their lives as normal human beings. Blending doesn't diminish the impact we have when we interact with others. Darn few of us pass, as you know. I am not convinced that we can change by standing out in a manner that also reinforces stereotypes, but rather by undermining those stereotypes and presenting ourselves as worthy of respect.

Bria
05-14-2014, 12:35 PM
I.m with Alice on this one, can't stand "reality" shows, because they are anything but reality. And, I'm suspicious that those that watch "reality" shows do not have a firm (or any) grip on reality!! JMO. Bria

Zylia
05-14-2014, 12:39 PM
Introducing 'Big Sister', the reality game show for cross-dressers! Ten cross-dressing men are confined to a special villa for nine weeks, isolated from the outside world, continuously monitored by in-house television cameras. During their stay, contestants need to stay 'en femme' 24/7 and will have to compete in potato peeling and embroidery contests . At the end of each week, a panel of women decide which contestant was the least 'girly' that week (who burped the most or talked about cars for example), resulting in a eviction for that contestant. The last remaining contestant wins a lifetime supply of stockings, panties and full slips.

Tracii G
05-14-2014, 12:47 PM
How can a stage and scripted show could construed as reality?
I don't watch much TV because there isn't much worth watching to be honest.
Would I be a part of a CD reality show? No. Why? Because reality shows are stupid.
Me TV is OK because I can see old classic shows that had a point to the story and a moral to teach.
Person of Interest is a great show I will watch that one if I remember its on that night.If not I buy the whole season on DVD.

LilSissyStevie
05-14-2014, 12:56 PM
One more reason not to watch television! I can't think of too many things that sound more boring. Maybe they could have a show to explore the stereotypes of crossdressers only to discover they're mostly accurate.

Nicole Erin
05-14-2014, 01:22 PM
for a TG reality show, could go several directions.

One is - Tg would still remain a small sub-culture and nothing changed.

Two is - they would have the exceptionally pretty ones on the show, thereby making the rest of us feel inferior. The subject would come up and you might hear, "Oh you CD? I was watching the show (whatever it may be called) but with those ones, you could never tell they were men". Kind of like how the media wants women to look younger, lose weight, have hair so healthy it shines...

Three is - it would become a REAL popular topic much like how the gay men come out in the media and become heroes. But then we would end up with a LOT more fake CD/TS who just want to be part of what is popular. Kind of like college co-eds who claim to be gay/lesbian just to get noticed. But then sooner or later they decide they want a "normal" life. Kind of like accepting wives who later decide they have a problem with their TG husband.

Reality shows look pretty boring. Let's see, people doing pretty much nothing and talking about it. And for these shows, people pay over $100 a month for cable, complain there is nothing to watch, and keep paying $100 a month. Makes sense.

Beverley Sims
05-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Stage it in a secluded inlet in Hawaii, and let me write the script.

"Seriously"

Probably not.... :)

Alice Torn
05-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Oh, there is a reality type show i do watch sometimes, and is it ever reality! CHEATERS!! Many years a ago, CANDID CAMERA wasa real funny real reality show!

Teresa
05-14-2014, 01:39 PM
It would be great to see TV producers made to accept presenters from minority groups. How many disabled people do you see presenting the news or weather forecasts so why not TGs. Many would have the knowledge and ability to present factual programs which would gain us far more credibility than OTT reality shows. Lets face it some of the production team sitting behind their desks are probably underdressed !

Wildaboutheels
05-14-2014, 01:40 PM
Ok, so how bout this...

The XYZ network that makes and promotes the show never, ever uses the word REALITY in any promos or literature of any kind.

Now, would you watch it? Or does it have a better chance to survive?

If we associate just one single word with any show about anything, does that automatically make it a "bad" or worthless show?

samantha rogers
05-14-2014, 01:49 PM
It seems a well written and produced commercial film release with sympathetic characters and good story line would be far more interesting. Look what Brokeback. Mountain did for the gay community.

Kate Simmons
05-14-2014, 02:10 PM
Seriously, we will never be taken seriously--ever!:heehee::)

PaulaQ
05-14-2014, 02:31 PM
Although I think the idea of a TG reality show is just hilarious, I really think Samantha has it right - I sympathetic film drama or documentary would probably do the community a lot more good.

Maybe they'll do a film version of Harvey Fierstein's play casa susanna. That'd be a good start.

Hell on Heels
05-14-2014, 02:40 PM
I am not a huge reality show fan, however my competitive nature has kept me watching Survivor since the very first episode. I have applied to the show about 7 times. I don't think anything like that type of show could be possible to do as a CD. I could be interesting to start the show dressed, and see where it goes from there.
Zylia's "Big Sister" idea would be fun and possible to do.
Does anyone have Mark Burnett's phone number or e-mail.
Much Love,
Kristyn

Dawn cd
05-14-2014, 03:01 PM
The real question is who will sponsor it? Because once a sponsor comes onboard, a cable channel will see $$$ in the concept. But what company wants their brand associated with TGs? Taco Bell? Chick Fill-a? Certainly not Men's Wearhouse. Think about it.

bimini1
05-14-2014, 03:13 PM
I think something similar to this did actually air a few years ago.....hmmm, what was it? It wasn't about real CDers though. I think some "normal" men had to be made up and dress or something then compete. Does anyone other than me remember that? Maybe take that concept a step further with just "regular ole CDs'?

Ilsa
05-14-2014, 03:17 PM
Paula has the right idea as far as presenting our case and I'd like to see it in a format much like 'Frontline' though that may be a little too serious. Then again, though I don't condone reality shows, maybe we could see something in the vein of 'Housewives of CD's' that would be more of a focus on CD families that wouldn't be as outrageous as those Jersey or Miami girls. JMHO!:daydreaming:

ClaraKay
05-14-2014, 03:19 PM
All we have to do is look at the models presented by the woman movement, the gay and lesbian movement, and other marginalized groups throughout history. It starts with committed, concerted activism, protest marches, legislative initiatives, legal action, and, most importantly, members of our community willing to come out of the closet with our heads held high. Only then will people in Hollywood and the media begin to portray CD/TG people in a positive light.

kimdl93
05-14-2014, 03:27 PM
Ok, so how bout this...

The XYZ network that makes and promotes the show never, ever uses the word REALITY in any promos or literature of any kind.

Now, would you watch it? Or does it have a better chance to survive?

If we associate just one single word with any show about anything, does that automatically make it a "bad" or worthless show?

Probably not.

Rachael Leigh
05-14-2014, 03:33 PM
I don't need to protest or force change in laws to dress as I wish especially in my own home. I understand to a point those who do but for those who out there that disagree with LGBT lifestyles it's just as unfair to tell them they have no right to do so. It's a free country last time I checked

kendra_gurl
05-14-2014, 03:33 PM
The real question is who will sponsor it? Because once a sponsor comes onboard, a cable channel will see $$$ in the concept. But what company wants their brand associated with TGs? .

I'll start an internet store called Victors Secrets with online photos of all the special girls here on this site decked out in their finest lingerie to sponsor the first episode.

Paula_Femme
05-14-2014, 04:12 PM
I would guess a portion of the difficulty with such a venture might be in locating willing and enthusiastic
participants. I mean, many girls would, I think, be leery of attention for a variety of reasons. There was already the Ru Paul Drag Race program, and I seriously doubt that did anything toward promoting the image most of us would want. But I fear the participants on that show are exactly the kind that would apply to any show looking for crossdressers. Not the image I would want at all. Meantime, the girls best suited to promoting a positive and stable image are the very ones least likely to want to out themselves, or so I would think, wouldn't you? Are there enough successful, confidant, stable and fully "out" girls, and with some kind of stage presence and charisma to be found willing and brave enough to place themselves in that position? I don't know.
I see the publicity of a positive image program as extremely valuable, make no mistake. I just fear finding an appropriate cast would be tough. I also think more programming like Drag Race would only reinforce stereotypes we (I) do not want to see furthered.
Hmmm. I wonder?

I agree 100% with Samantha's comments above, any so called "reality" show about CD-ers would be pushed to the point it'd be a freak show, just to get the drooling masses to park their butts for 30mins and chomp their way through another bag of Cheetos... yeah, NOT a fan of "reality" shows, can you tell? :heehee:

Mind you, I did see a number of documentaries on British TV over the years that covered the subjects of Transsexuals and Cross Dressers in a sane and compassionate manner; excellent documentaries, but not exactly ratings busters.

Violet-13
05-14-2014, 04:18 PM
I think there are a few shows about Crossdressers on the Out Channel (its a channel maid to cater to L,G,B,T people), I may be wrong

Rachael Leigh
05-14-2014, 04:42 PM
One of the best things I've seen about CDs has been the story of those girls who went to the resort in New York in the 50s it seemed to really portray CDing as just a part of their lives nothing more or less.

Erica Marie
05-14-2014, 05:23 PM
Im thinking the only way this would go over would be by appealing to the right group of people. People who tune into reality shows watch it for the drama not for the reality. A place that might prove effective would be something like a made for tv movie on the Lifetime network or possibly a series on MTv. Similar to the shows where they follow pregnant teens to see how they face the challenges they have. It has to be real, not reality.

Wildaboutheels
05-14-2014, 06:45 PM
Aw c'mon peeps. Why such negativity and poor memories? Many of you actually posted to Jessica Who's thread. I am not the only one who thought VH1 [of all networks!] did a bang up job depicting the "real" Jessica. [I'm married to a ...] Ok, so it was not a series, but if they can do a nice decent job, surely a larger network could also do something tasteful? I believe the show still runs. Might be able to find that episode online still?

Not sure what happened to Jessica though. She sort of disappeared from this site after it aired...?

Bailey420
05-14-2014, 09:22 PM
The problem is that the network airing the show would most likely not accurately represent the majority of "crossdressers" in general, but instead, for ratings sakes load the show with the most flamboyant, dramatic and emotional people they could find.

noeleena
05-15-2014, 05:28 AM
Hi.

Depends on the person and what they wont or need to portray i dont know for others i can only speak for myself , how many people do you wont to be infront of whats the content of what you have in mind whats the heading about, and would you prefer an interview . and how far reaching is it going to go. and who will it involve, .

is family a part of this, details about your family and about your self as a person, and what it means to you and later how is your life progressing, an update if you like,

i dont just do the talking about it, im the one who did something about it,

Over 3 million people enough through two TV stations papers as well and 287 sites on the net Human Rights Commision and write ups in mags Trans and dresser and have feed back after,

I prefer real life real people who know what its about, not a show that degrades people to little more than a money spinner, and a put down,

Then walk in other Citys and have people come up to you and say hi ...I know you from seeing you on the head line news . nation wide,

does that sound okay to you then,

...noeleena...

Rogina B
05-15-2014, 05:31 AM
Things change when people get out and conduct their lives as normal human beings. Blending doesn't diminish the impact we have when we interact with others. Darn few of us pass, as you know. I am not convinced that we can change by standing out in a manner that also reinforces stereotypes, but rather by undermining those stereotypes and presenting ourselves as worthy of respect. Exactly this! And don't flinch if you get put on the spot,cause it can happen and it may not be intentional at all. Wherever you fall on the T spectrum..If you show them you are comfortable with it,then most likely they will become comfortable with it.

Sarasometimes
05-15-2014, 08:56 AM
There was a game show along these lines in 2004 with a wiki link below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/He's_a_Lady

Premise was these macho guys needed some understanding of what women go through. Wasn't horrible but not great for TG/CD community.

UNDERDRESSER
05-15-2014, 09:17 AM
Reality TV is the most mis-named garbage ever foisted off on the TV watching public. In general, I find current TV standards to be pathetic. So much so, that I no longer have TV. The few good programs can be watched online. Paying $60 a month for those rare gems was simply not worth it.

There have been the occasional useful programs done on the subject, but I would not hope to see one these days. It is possible, but not from "Reality TV" and anyway, the whole subject is so wide ranging that you would end up giving people the wrong idea for at least some of us.

JenniferYager
05-15-2014, 10:22 AM
To answer the question about getting taken seriously...did some show about gay people suddenly make the gay community get taken seriously? Nope.

You'll have to do it one person at a time. How many of us know someone who is gay and normal? I remember that gays were portrayed as crazy and over the top in the media, and it wasn't until I worked for a gay boss who was a normal dude that it dawned on me that not all gay people were like that. Media, if anything, continuously worked against that.

This inspired me to do another post, but I honestly don't think a television show will do CDing any justice.

Connie D50
05-15-2014, 11:30 AM
This is a little off the topic but wasn't there a good made for TV movie that had a famus actor who late in life tansitioned and it went thru how she and the wife handled it from start to end??? I forget the name and the actors. Connie

samantha rogers
05-15-2014, 12:45 PM
With all respect and love to everyone here, I think posts that indicate that reality tv or anything else are garbage miss the point of the original post. I think reality TV is garbage, too, but millions of people do watch that crap, or it wouldn't be on TV. Moreover, some of the most ignorant and hateful people, many of them women, are among the most regular viewers, and these are the very people most in need of enlightenment about us.
No, it doesn't solve issues about funding, how to get a program made or what form it will take, but simply rejecting the idea because one dislikes the medium seems counterproductive.
And rejecting an idea as having too little impact in itself completely disregards the fact that the cumulative value of many small seemingly insignificant actions can often affect change more substantially than can be done in one giant action. Big events can, actually, produce, because of the inherent initial shock, a reverse counterproductive backlash. Erosion, though slower, works better than dynamite because it happens slowly.
Advances in acceptance of gays were not made through one big overnight event, but rather through a slow process of change involving many, many small events. So it will need to be with us. Just as change is made every time someone like Isha has a conversation with some young guys at a coffee shop, it can also be made by the production of a television program, whether the form of that program is palatable to us individually or not.
Right?

kimdl93
05-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Personally, I think the turning point in gay rights occurred on February 11, 1993 on episode 57 of Seinfeld, when those immortal words, "not that there's anything wrong with that." entered the lexicon of American language.

Amy Fakley
05-15-2014, 01:18 PM
I think you're actually more right about this, than people might think. At least among the dude crowd I hung with at that time (right out of high school), there was a problem when it came to gay issues. Lots of reasonable people wanted to support the idea of acceptance and mainstreaming of gay culture at the time, but from inside macho dude culture there was just about no way to express that sentiment without "losing your man card".

Seinfeld gave us a great example of how to say that without saying it ... and it totally worked ... not that there's anything wrong with that :-)

KittyD
05-15-2014, 01:48 PM
I've tried myself many times with scripts and ideas for TV shows and have sent much off over the years... Its not hard to create a TV/Film concept for CDs, its just hard to get the people with the cash to hear you :(
I've tried comedy - serious acting - Avant-garde etc... Its a tricky one.
Kathleen Dawson The Daisy Monologue
Type the above into YouTube for one of my CD monologues if your interested? Its not about views, cause I don't make money from what I do! This is just how I communicate or express myself openly to others...
And I would be interested to hear your thoughts...

Tracy Hazel Lee
05-15-2014, 06:40 PM
A reality show would never be the proper way to acceptance... Reality TV is a formula-based concoction, whipped up to attract and hold viewers based on hand-picked entries of whom will guarantee conflict. Without a story (although most reality TV is scripted in some way) I don't believe that viewers can connect with contestants the same way as a well written story with genuine characters and development.

How about a show that revolves around the father of a typical family. He has a decent career, he's married, has two kids, has his guy nights with his friends...does a lot of the stereo-typical guy stuff. The father has all the same qualities as any other stereo-typical dad. However, the father also has a secret life that he takes part in once or twice a week where he has a completely separate group of friends that he interacts with strictly while crossdressed. He does not want to transition, dressing is enough to satisfy his cravings, and he loves doing it. None of his family or co-workers are aware of this separate life. The show should imply how anyone could secretly have a similar lifestyle. The show should never make his dressing the punchline of any joke and always portray it as something as 'routine' as possible (from the fathers POV). Of course there can be jokes, but I think they can be done tastefully and honestly. There are plenty of funny situations that can happen that don't have anything to do with embarrassment or ridicule. On the flip side, the show should also focus on the efforts and planning that is required to keep this lifestyle hidden from friends and loved ones. Show the pain and frustration that can be experienced because of this activity. Show the struggles, the bigotry, the prejudice, make the viewer understand what it's like. Paint the picture of a REAL person living in this way.

Now.....this all sounds great, but if the majority of TV watchers are happy watching reality TV, what would make them watch a show like this?

Eryn
05-15-2014, 10:42 PM
The only positive portrayal is one where a character is TG, but it isn't a major plot point. It's just an incidental part of the character.

There are very few examples out there. Tina in The World's Fastest Indian comes to mind. She could have just as easily been a cis female.

UNDERDRESSER
05-15-2014, 10:58 PM
Advances in acceptance of gays were not made through one big overnight event, but rather through a slow process of change involving many, many small events. I quite agree, but Television is a mass market channel, and one that is these days aimed very much at the lowest common denominator. I remember a fairly balanced documentary from the BBC some 20+ years ago, they might be capable of producing something useful again. Can't imagine anybody else doing anything much above the level of Jerry Springer, sorry.

Rachael Leigh
05-15-2014, 11:33 PM
Traci your idea is exactly how it should be done now to find the right place, maybe the discovery channel but love the idea

Sallee
05-17-2014, 11:07 AM
unfortunately I think the show would be rather boring A bunch of guys sitting around discussing make up applications and beard cover. I might like it but unfortunately we are a very small minority.

Lorileah
05-17-2014, 11:53 AM
Pilot script: Concept 5 TGs show what it is like in daily life. A drag queen, A Crossdresser who is single, A Crossdresser who is married but his wife doesn't know, a crossdresser whose wife knows and a transsexual.

We follow the Drag queen through day 1: He comes home, spends 3 hours putting on makeup and padding, goes to a drag show, does two numbers...comes home and takes it all off. Next day he goes to work...at a regular job...where he puts in 8 hours....

Crossdresser who is single. Day 1. We follow her through the mall as she watches women walk by and gazes at dresses in the window. Later she goes home and looks at her OKCupid posts...no responses. Sits around house in pantyhose and a bra. Wonders why women are not flocking to her door

Crossdresser 2: Morning, kisses wife goodbye as she leaves for three day trip to visit relatives. Rushes to hidden stash and pulls out all the collection she has garnered in the last year, raids wife's make up, shaves body hair, gets "dolled" up then sits and watches TV...all day. Hears door bell and hides behind couch. Cooks dinner in cocktail dress and gets marinara sauce on it. Goes to bed with makeup on and babydoll nightie

Crossdresser 3: Comes home on Friday, wife and she have a nice dinner where they share the preparation. They smile and discuss the day without moaning about how bad it is "she" can't go out. Clean up, reapply makeup, go shopping or movie, go home cuddle. Next day they go to dinner and then a club where they dance with each other all night. Monday, back to daily routine (gets the best ratings because there is more action)

TS: Gets up in morning, feeds cats, puts on make up, reads paper, has coffee, goes to work, stops at grocery on the way home, gets something to cook, watches TV, goes to bed. Now we must assume that the TS wants to be known as a TS forever afterward. That she doesn't mind her neighbors or colleagues knowing.
Alternate script for TS: Meeting counselor and talking about what they want in life (redacted because of HIPPA rules), referral to Endocrinologist for hormones, reactions to said hormones (both good and bad as well as frustration they didn't work overnight), telling boss, telling coworkers, telling friends. Losing job, losing co-workers except a few who do get it, and losing many friends who are now afraid of her. Trying to find finances to get surgery, change name and all legal documents, finding new friends who don't know and who don't care what she "was". Slipping into a daily lifestyle of work, housekeeping (in sweats not a maid's outfit), medical issues, learning to live as a woman and seeing that things are different, going out, maybe finding a date, deciding if she can tell her date (or when) what she is doing, losing date because he wants a "real" woman, staying home, watching TV, gets extra cats.

So really which or all of the scenarios would you watch? The DQ for the drama all DQs have? (according to RuPaul's Drag race) The CD who is closeted and scared to go out? (Not much fun there unless you like watching somebody sit around the house). The married CD whose wife doesn't know? (that will go well right after the second show... you can spend the rest of the season watching the drama, the crying, the pain, the threats, the divorce or reconciliation). The CD whose wife does know...now this one may fly, at least they can have adventures together. The TS, very few want links to their past life. Some of us don't really care but how many would watch a suburban woman's life? It may last one season...hopefully happily.

Go ahead choose one

samantha rogers
05-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Considering Hollywood loves Cop and detective programs... how about a gg cop and her cd private detective husband. They solve crimes as sisters, always worried someone will catch on the the husbands secret?
Only kidding!!!!!
But it is the kind of show that might actually get made. Sigh...

PaulaQ
05-17-2014, 12:54 PM
@Lori - take your 5 TG folks and their families and put 'em all in one crazy big house. Film dialogue like: "bitch, those are MY shoes!!!" Quality reality TV ensues.

You're welcome - just send me royalty checks.

Lorileah
05-17-2014, 01:25 PM
that would be funny Paula. Since a lot of the "Housewives of....." is scripted I am sure we could come up with some of the dialogue

BLUE ORCHID
05-17-2014, 02:05 PM
Hi Wah, Reality shows are about as far away from reality as you can get.
I don't think they would help the cause.

Adriana Moretti
05-17-2014, 05:15 PM
sign me up.....I'd make that show interesting......I dont even need 4 other people....just my real life cd gal pals to come along for the ride, somebody will wind up with a spinnoff for sure !
" The Single Life Of Adriana" .....and my inbox is flooded ( with men...and thats ok with me) my fingers just cramp from hitting delete,delete,delete.

Then again you said to be taken seriously...and I dont even take myself seriously...I'm a dude..in a dress how serious can we be

PaulaQ
05-17-2014, 07:32 PM
Suggested Title for a reality show about me and my girlfriends: "Texas T-Girls"

Following the adventures of three trans women in North Dallas, it would be something like: "sex in the city", but with (a lot) higher heels, and well, cowboys. About the same number of gay people as SITC, surprisingly enough. Each girl lives in a different environment, one in the gay district of Oak Lawn, one in historic (and now Hispanic) east Dallas, and one in the angry and outraged suburbs of whitest Plano, where the churches are big, but the transphobia is even bigger!

Just the settings alone provide ample comedic and dramatic opportunities.

One of the girls is pretty passable, and is sort of invisible. One isn't passable, doesn't care, and one isn't passable and dresses like a big Barbie doll. They are in various stages of being out. (This also makes for some comedy and drama.)

I suspect I'll eventually write a book about this - some of it is just hilarious.

Krisi
05-18-2014, 07:10 AM
I am one who thinks ALL "Reality" shows are just awful and have no redeeming qualities whatsoever. There is no "reality" to them, it's just a way to produce cheap shows to fill air time. If people take these shows seriously, society is in big trouble.

sometimes_miss
05-18-2014, 05:50 PM
A nice reality show about crossdressers could not exist because it would never get the ratings. It would have to be a standard fake 'reality' show where the contestants fight each other, where the goal of the show is to have the people on it make fools of themselves, show the worst sides of themselves, including how delusional we are about our ability to pass (so the audience can laugh at us). Perhaps there are some people here who would be willing to be made a fool of for their 15 minutes of fame, but don't have any doubt, it would not be a show that would be about the nice things about us. Nice does not ratings make. What the networks want is the 'Jerry Springer' quality crossdressers, the controversial, crazy extroverted loons that people find entertaining. A 50 year old overweight guy who simply wants to dress up, look as pretty as possible, talk about clothes and make up, perhaps meet other crossdressers without a lot of fuss, no one's going to watch that. They want the drama of a crossdresser coming out of the closet to his wife, going to bars to pick up men (perhaps fooling a man into believing he's a woman so the audience can see the poor victim's reaction when he sees he's been fooled), well you get the idea. People don't want to deal with the concept. Even on the Drew Carey show they had to abandon that side of his brother character because it simply wasn't a popular concept, because it wasn't made controversial enough.

Katey888
05-18-2014, 06:04 PM
One of the girls is pretty passable, and is sort of invisible. One isn't passable, doesn't care, and one isn't passable and dresses like a big Barbie doll. They are in various stages of being out. (This also makes for some comedy and drama.)
I suspect I'll eventually write a book about this - some of it is just hilarious.

So all that remains unanswered for me Paula, is which one of the girls parts are you writing yourself in for...? And if you can find some way to bring back JR and Sue Ellen in bit parts I'll watch the whole first series... promise! ;)

And Lexi:
Perhaps there are some people here who would be willing to be made a fool of for their 15 minutes of fame...
How long have you been here? The Producers would be beating them off with sticks... :eek: In fact, the plot of 'The Producers' would fit a failed reality show really well - just throw in a few crossdressing Nazis and Bingo! - "Springtime for Paula and the Gayborhood... Winter for xxxx and xxxx... " (add your own despised icons here..)

I suspect Paula's got it right - it would be hilarious, and look what the approach did for the Osbournes... :)

It get's my vote Paula - get writing!

Katey x

PaulaQ
05-18-2014, 06:36 PM
So all that remains unanswered for me Paula, is which one of the girls parts are you writing yourself in for...? And if you can find some way to bring back JR and Sue Ellen in bit parts I'll watch the whole first series... promise! ;)

I pass pretty well now, even without makeup. HRT has been good to me. I'll get better with time & surgeries. So I'd be the sort of invisible girl. Except I walk really funny. So I'm not invisible at all. People just think I'm a woman who walks funny, I guess! (That might have to be altered for TV, sadly.) One thing that would be in the show, that I can't talk about here - is our sex lives, which are surprisingly active, but not suitable for discussion on this forum. (Which is unfortunate, because some of those stories are really funny too!)

I can't bring JR back - Larry Hagman sadly has passed on. But would it suffice if two of the gay / lesbian bars we sometimes visit are J.R.'s and Sue Ellen's?

Could be a nice mix of comedy / drama / reality. I don't mean to make light of transition. It's quite hard in many ways, for some more than others. But I think a show that was fairly funny, while being realistic, would actually humanize us a lot, rather than making us just a collection of unwatchably sad stories. And some of the process really is hilarious. Even though it hurts like hell - the truth is, my face really does look like I head-butted a beehive after I finish electrolysis! And the clothes, omg, the clothes. Let's just say that one of us has a fashion sense that many girls here would approve of! (Nothing like being 6' 2" and rocking 5" clear hooker heels - to the mall...)

I'd want to include trans men, CDs, drag queens, all sorts of folks in the spectrum. All of those people are a part of my life in one way or another. It's an interesting world that exists mostly under the noses of all the cis folks. They stand in line at Starbucks, doing boring crap, while we lead our lives, often rather invisibly to them.

So when I'm not crying about the hard parts, mostly I'm laughing at the stuff that happens in my life now. It's really unbelievable, some of it, and a lot of it is really, really funny. :)