PDA

View Full Version : 50 YO CD = Punk Rock Babe Magnet?

skirtsuit
05-18-2014, 10:27 AM
Hello Everyone!
Yesterday, I went out on the bike in a beautiful purple & white leaf-print knee-length dress with the usual short wig and girl glasses.

There was a free punk rock afternoon show in one of the parks in the city, so I decided to try mixing the two worlds. Wow! I have been to lots of shows here in Philly en drab and the young women wouldn't even give me a second glance. This time, some really awesome young punk rock chicks* seemed really happy to meet me. Got lots of compliments, heard some great live music, and got to make friends with a few 20 something women - heaven!

It's a beautiful and mysterious thing that women seem able & willing to treat a middle aged CD as one of their own. They know I'm a guy in dress but maybe there is something about having the guts to do it that makes them accepting? I don't know, but it sure is fun.

Best,
SS

* I don't use the word "chick" pejoratively.

Kathryn R Jones
05-18-2014, 10:32 AM
Maybe your confidence made everything work

LICDJenny
05-18-2014, 10:51 AM
Punks are generally more open minded to less conventional things and ideas; it's part of our mantra I guess. Especially since Tom Gabel, lead singer of one of Against Me (a big band), came out as a closeted transexual, and revealed in 2012 that he wanted to live full time the lovely Laura Jane Grace. Love her

Beverley Sims
05-18-2014, 12:40 PM
Well?
Why not?
I would have liked to have been there to see the interaction.
Glad it was a pleasant experience.

Richelle423
05-18-2014, 01:08 PM
The punk rock and gothic music scene will always embrace us girls as well as David Bowie and Elton John. Hey girls help me to add more famous names!

AllieSF
05-18-2014, 01:26 PM
Your experience is one that I regularly encounter when out dressed in the real world. There is something about the younger generation, up to about 40 years old because that is generally the vast majority of those young girls and women that we meet, that lets them just accept us as we are and then enter into a conversation with a person who may be more than twice their age. I am not sure that they treat us as one of their own, though in the right conversation I have been, more than I ever though possible and even sometimes more than I wanted. Your personality, openness and presentation are also key factors in making that happen. Also, we are different and not common at all. There surely has to be a bit of curiosity mixed in there too. I have had similar results with some of the younger guys who do not even bat an eye after that first surprise, "Are you talking to me?" look. People like to be around fun people who smile and can talk. I am so glad that you are out there doing that on the East coast and having a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing.

Tracii G
05-18-2014, 02:09 PM
Good for you, sounds like a great time to me.

Katey888
05-18-2014, 02:10 PM
How cool is that, SS? :cool:

I've always wanted to go to Philly - perhaps I've just found another reason... besides the history, the culture, the cream cheese... ;)

I think younger folk that already embrace an alternative perspective on life are always likely to be more accepting - and perhaps we can at least reinforce a very non-threatening vibe...

Great experience! :)

Katey x

tracigirl_tv
05-18-2014, 02:18 PM
Dear Skirt,

Thank you for sharing this with us! And in our very own city of sisterly love *giggle* So glad you had a good time.

(This from a gurl who's got a few years on you.)

xoxo

Traci

tracigirl_tv
05-18-2014, 02:20 PM
I've always wanted to go to Philly - x

Katey, we'll make it a thing when you come to our fair city :)

Hugs,

Traci

Lori B
05-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Hello Everyone!
Yesterday, I went out on the bike in a beautiful purple & white leaf-print knee-length dress with the usual short wig and girl glasses.

There was a free punk rock afternoon show in one of the parks in the city, so I decided to try mixing the two worlds. Wow! I have been to lots of shows here in Philly en drab and the young women wouldn't even give me a second glance. This time, some really awesome young punk rock chicks* seemed really happy to meet me. Got lots of compliments, heard some great live music, and got to make friends with a few 20 something women - heaven!

It's a beautiful and mysterious thing that women seem able & willing to treat a middle aged CD as one of their own. They know I'm a guy in dress but maybe there is something about having the guts to do it that makes them accepting? I don't know, but it sure is fun.

Best,
SS

* I don't use the word "chick" pejoratively.SS,,,,sounds like you had a great time!

Katey, we'll make it a thing when you come to our fair city :)

Hugs,

Traci...........and get a great cheesesteak too! :p

mechamoose
05-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Punk rockers generally want to rock the system, break the norms, to be DIFFERENT instead of being boring and 'normal'.

You/we do that and fit that profile.

Happy to hear that you got that approval!

- MM

skirtsuit
05-18-2014, 06:06 PM
Thanks everyone,
Philly is Grrrreat!! The underground/DIY/punk/hardcore/experimental scene is amazing here. The show I went to yesterday was next to the new skate park under the Greys Ferry bridge. No permits or anything required - just a couple of mains outlets is apparently all you need!!

One of the young ladies I met runs a place in S. Philly that puts on shows and is in a new band called "Cheerbleeder". Can't wait to go to a show at her place - turn up the middle-aged glam to 11 !!!!
She also said she can do leopard print hair, something I've been thinking about for a new summer look.

I will say again it really is amazing how different many women treat me when I'm dressed as one of them. At one point yesterday, I was sitting & smoking alittle with two young women on a rock just barely big enough for the three of us. And here's another first for me - giving women napkins from my purse so they can go pee in bushes!

Best,
SS

BLUE ORCHID
05-18-2014, 06:45 PM
Hi Ann, It sounds like the only thing missing was the big soft pretzels.

skirtsuit
05-19-2014, 01:50 PM
Yippee! The fun never stops. Today at the thrift shop I volunteer at, I was invited up to the clothing sorting area on the third floor so the girls (& women and maybe 1 or 2 guys ) can dress me! Can't wait for next week - I'll be there with bells on as well as fake breasts & ass!

Another fetish CD dream coming true - getting dressed by a bunch of girls in a big shop full of clothes.....

SS

BLUE ORCHID
05-19-2014, 08:53 PM
:daydreaming:Hi Ann, It's like a kid being locked in a candy store.:daydreaming: