PDA

View Full Version : Crossdressing in Prime Time

PaulaJeanette
01-15-2006, 03:46 AM
We all need to tune-in to watch this on Sunday, January 15, when CBS' 60 Minutes will feature a segment on "Transamerica". Lesley Stahl will be interviewing Felicity Huffman the actress who plays a transgendered male.

I haven't decided whether I will sit with my wife to watch this...but wouldn't it be a good way to initiate a discussion on crossdressing?

Thoughts...comments...

Hugs,
PaulaJeanette

Shelly Preston
01-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Hi Paula

I agree it would be an excellent opening for anyone.
as long as there are perpared for a lot of questions.

Good luck to anyone attempting this.

Pity we cant see this in the UK.

TGMarla
01-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Yes, I saw a teaser for it on TV yesterday while watching with my wife. I'm definitely going to watch it (after the Bears game) and I hope my wife will be watching it with me. She rather enjoys "Desperate Housewives", and so she's already interested in what Felicity Huffman is doing. I'm also tickled that there is Oscar talk for her portraying this role. Is that great or what?

kathy gg
01-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Hi Paula...

Thanks for mentioning this on board, probably wind up taping it!

as for if it is good idea to initiate a discussion on crossdressing....does she already know and jsut not talking much or what?

Also, this is not a movie abotu a crossdresser, this movie is about a transexual. A ful time transexual who I believe lives as a woman. So....I mean if you are looking to educate her about transgender issues and transexual issues it is a great idea. But if you are not any of those things and she does not know you are a crossdresser...if this is going to be yoru platform for "coming out of the closet" I would rethink this.

Most wives of cd's who dont' know about this stuff dont' know the difference between a tg/tv/ts/cd?

Will this only make her more confused ...willl she jump to conclusions and think you are transexual if you come out to her later.

I think this all depends on what she knows about your cding.

I have talked to many wives of crossdressers who saw teh Oprah thing a while back and they completely had a freak out following teh Jenny Boyland thing. It did not help their husbands I believe because it just scared them into thinking and projecting those things into their own lives....

But I do know that either Discovery or TLC had a show abotu crossdressers a while back and it was actually really good for an introduction into all this.

Anyway....just my .02

We all need to tune-in to watch this on Sunday, January 15, when CBS' 60 Minutes will feature a segment on "Transamerica". Lesley Stahl will be interviewing Felicity Huffman the actress who plays a transgendered male.

I haven't decided whether I will sit with my wife to watch this...but wouldn't it be a good way to initiate a discussion on crossdressing?

Thoughts...comments...

Hugs,
PaulaJeanette

Raychel
01-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the Heads Up on this one. I am with Kathy on this one. This would only make my wife wonder if i wanted to transition. I think that it would definitly confuse her. I have no desire to do that. She is just starting to accept the fact that her husband likes to dress in womens clothes. I am happy with who I am and have absolutley no desire to be a woman. There is no sense throwing this whole can of worms into the mix at this time.

I am sure thatit would bring up some converstaion between us which is alwasy a good thing. But there are better ways to talk than with confusion. This may be a great thing for those that do wish to make the big change at some point. But for those of us that do not wish to, this could only add to the heart ache that our great women are already suffering.

Just My Opinion
Raychel

kneehighs
01-15-2006, 10:58 AM
Felicity Huffman was inteviewed on David Letterman last week. She did an honorable job of representing the TG issue. Most of all, she did so from an educated perspective.

Karren H
01-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Great, after the Steelers football game and before my ice hockey game! Hehehe BTW Has anyone seen it the "Secret Wardrobe" documentary is scheduled to air any time soon. Want to tape it but keep missing. Thanks

Love Karren

suzy
01-15-2006, 11:40 AM
HEY Girls!!!

Whats up with all of the football watching going on here!!! Question? Do CD's enjoy watching foortball as much as GG's do??

Well............all I can say is........ GO COWBOYS!!!!!

<well, now I forgot the &%$#*%&$ question....>:thumbsdn:

Christina Nicole
01-15-2006, 02:02 PM
HEY Girls!!!

Whats up with all of the football watching going on here!!! Question? Do CD's enjoy watching foortball as much as GG's do??

What's "football?"

I am surprised that 60 minutes is still on the air. One would think that CBS should be too embarrassed to broadcast it.

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

jo_ann
01-15-2006, 02:30 PM
I will tivo. if it turns out to be good, I'll try to host it on here.

TGMarla
01-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Okay, good interview. But I think we were all hoping for a bit more concerning her approach to her role in TransAmerica. But you really can't blame us. That's how we're wired. But she's getting serious awards for the portrayal, and that's a good thing. Puts the whole "Trans" thing on the front page for a while, and for a welcome change.

Nothing was downplayed, though. It was treated with respect. At least there's that.

jo_ann
01-15-2006, 09:32 PM
not bad.. at least it was informative for those not knowledgable (hormones/voice change, not feeling comfortable in your own skin). I edited it down to 4-1/2 minutes and compressed with divx for those that missed it:

DOWNLOAD:
http://i1.zvhost.com/1/a/at5ohj80.jpg (http://www.zippyvideos.com/4555431593227106/felicity-60min/)
Those without broadband streaming or those that are firefox challenged, direct link:
http://216.86.149.136/videos/0/322710_95a4e_256k.wmv

Holly
01-15-2006, 09:42 PM
It's on here on the west coast in about 30 minutes. I'll watch it. BTW, Jo Ann, the link you supplied doesn't work. :(

Sophia Rearen
01-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Thanks jo ann I missed it and I have Tivo, duh!

windycissy
01-15-2006, 10:11 PM
I was in total guy mode today at my favorite sports bar, watching Da Bears go down the tubes....gonna have to run a marathon tomorrow to burn off the beers and brats and reclaim my girlish figure. Didn't catch 60 minutes - but the thought of a woman playing a guy transitioning bums me out, why couldn't they cast a guy? Don't mean to be a downer, I'm just depressed about Da Bears, it's gonna be a long winter in Chicago.

Windy

TGMarla
01-15-2006, 10:52 PM
Yeah, I'm real bummed about The Bears loss, too. But they got really lucky on a few occasions, and just came up short in what was a really good game otherwise.

Sorry for the hijack.....Huffman treated the subject with a lot of reverence. She studied everything she could find on the transition process, and became very educated and empathetic to the whole situation. So what would you rather have? A male playing the part, or someone transgendered to play the part? I'd rather have a good actor or actress over either one. Just so the person playing the part was able to become the person he/she plays. That's the mark of great acting. She's up for awards, so I guess her peers think her acting is very good.

So I have no problem with her playing the part.

Mardi
01-15-2006, 11:04 PM
I watched the 60 min. presentation on Transamerica, I wished they would of went more into the movie.

Mardi

Sweet Susan
01-16-2006, 01:24 AM
Yeah, I'm real bummed about The Bears loss, too. But they got really lucky on a few occasions, and just came up short in what was a really good game otherwise.

Yeah, but how about them there Seahawks!

Marlena Dahlstrom
01-16-2006, 02:06 AM
but the thought of a woman playing a guy transitioning bums me out, why couldn't they cast a guy?

In interviews the director has said that since transwoman see themselves as woman, he thought it wouldn't be appropriate to cast a male actor.

There's the issue of not casting a TS actor, but realistically the pool is pretty limited -- and complicated by all the usual casting issues (availability, ability to carry the role, etc.) Although if I recall correctly, the director made a mention of that he knew of some post-ops in Hollywood who he didn't contact because they're deep stealth.

I didn't see 60 Minutes, but I saw Huffman on Letterman and on NPR's Fresh Air and she's definitely been a good advocate. There's been some grousing in trans circles elsewhere (apparently Huffman didn't correct the use of "wrong" pronouns, etc.) but given the difficulties of summarizing an extremely complicated issue within the context of a talk show I think she's done a great job.

If nothing else, Huffman has driven home the point that TS face the unenviable dilemma of choosing between being alienated from themselves or being alienated from society, a dilemma for which I imagine a lot of people can find sympathy for.