PDA

View Full Version : Go to church dressed?

tiffyjo
05-19-2014, 10:23 PM
This has been going through my head over and over. If's it's too far out there, delete it. Does anyone dress when going to church? I couldn't. Not passable at all and have a feeling that maybe it shouldn't be done. Does anyone "underdress" (wear panties, bra, stockings) when going to church?

NathalieX66
05-19-2014, 10:35 PM
My folks are ex-Catholic, and now they are Unitarian Universalists, and there's plenty of TG folks in their church there. So I'll leave it at that.
On a side note, I was in Baltimore this weekend, and the horse California Chrome won Preakness after winning the Kentucky Derby. Maybe there's an opportunity to win Belmont, thus the Triple Crown™....who knows?
In reality, I have no idea how tolerant your church is.

sissystephanie
05-19-2014, 10:42 PM
I have never dressed outwardly when going to church. But I have worn panties and a bra many times. When my wife was alive she could make me very passable, but I cannot do that myself. But nobody sees my underwear!

marny
05-19-2014, 10:51 PM
I'm a weddings and funerals churchgoer. Haven't gone dressed yet but it has been about five years since we had to go to a wedding. ( you may read into this that I don't like going to weddings) maybe next time . Next time may have to dress.
the boobs are growing to the point they are noticeable without outside help. As the girls grow there will be no way but forward.

PaulaAnn
05-19-2014, 10:58 PM
I daresay your personal god doesn't care what you wear,is it not what's in your heart that counts ?
PaulaAnn

Anjana
05-19-2014, 11:10 PM
I have gone to some temples wearing panties, kurtis and tights.... in fact I did that in April...

Amandartv
05-19-2014, 11:21 PM
I have that about it, but alittle scared....

Rachael Leigh
05-19-2014, 11:33 PM
I myself do regularly attend church but only wear my panties under. Now since I really just consider these normal underwear for me don't think it's a big deal.

Alice Torn
05-20-2014, 12:50 AM
I have been considering returning to the unusual church i was with 30 yeqrs, but i would only underdress, with panties, and hose, with socks over the ankles, maybe a bra under a shirt and sportcoat. I could not go fully dressed as a lady, without being talked to and told to leave. However, a person who had never been there, dressed up, may be allowed one time, but told not to after that.

Beverley Sims
05-20-2014, 01:24 AM
As a CD'er I wouldn't.
For those undergoing transition, yes.

tina99
05-20-2014, 01:26 AM
I suggest that you get referrals from other transgenders about which churches in your area accept transgender people. Many churches are associated with the fast growing (fictional) "Church of the Holy Pharisee" organization, which accepts "Only the Holy." If you attend a church whose leaders are prejudiced against transgender people, then leave and find one whose leaders accept them. Also, many church leaders think transgender people are all gay, which is false, and which they call a 'sin.' "

Also, if they are prejudiced against people who are in interracial marriages, they will probably be prejudiced against transgender people.

I used to attend a church that accepted transgender people, and even had a drag queen among their members.

Persephone
05-20-2014, 03:02 AM
I'm Jewish and regularly attend services as a woman. I do seem to pass successfully with those who have no previous knowledge from when I was a male, but I find even folks who know my past are remarkably accepting.

I have a number of GG friends and we frequently attend as a group, sitting together.

Tonight I was at a Sisterhood meeting at one of the congregations. When I arrived there was a line to sign in. As I was waiting, one of my friends from that congregation joined the line. As we spotted each other she said "Hi Dee!" and we hugged.

"Dee" was the transitional name that I had used a few years ago when I was first coming out to that group, so as we hugged I said, "I use Barbara now, I'm the world's most confusing person."

She said "Desn't mean we love you any less!"

After the meeting I snacked and chatted with several of the women, old friends and new ones that I was introduced to.

After the meeting my spouse and I (en femme, of course) stopped off at a nearby supermarket to pick up some breakfast items. Oddly enough, we ran into the Rabbi who was also there to pick up some items. He greeted both of us warmly and we chatted for a few minutes.

Not every situation will be like mine, not every community and congregation will be as warm and accepting as the several that I attend, so you have to use your own discretion.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Kate Simmons
05-20-2014, 04:23 AM
I've done it a number of times but don't really see the need to be a member of any particular religion. :)

Paulacder
05-20-2014, 04:26 AM
We are fortunate in our area to have a church that accepts and welcomes anyone no mater who you are, what you are or how you are dressed. There are many members of a local support group who attend. I have in the past attended a couple times. The only problem that I encountered was what to wear. I have a dark blue button front dress that I chose,this dress still was well above the knee, looked ok in a mirror when standing but when setting was quite challenging to keep in place. If you get the opportunity to attend any religious service consider what you are going to wear...........

jjjjohanne
05-20-2014, 05:40 AM
I have gone to a small group meeting at a Unitarian congregation twice. They are a way-left sort of religious group. I did not care for their teachings. I went because I knew it would be a safe outing. They were nice and disregarded my clothing. Once, while Christmas shopping enfemme, I shopped in a Christian book store. I was helped by the woman working the store and she was friendly and helpful.

Lisa is a CD who went to her home church dressed. That is crazy risky, but she did it.
http://www.lisagirl.net/crossdressing-blog-57.php

Somebody made this Facebook page. He seems like an activist.
https://www.facebook.com/CrossDresstoChurch

Linda E. Woodworth
05-20-2014, 05:56 AM
Yes, I have been under-dressing for years so I am wearing panties and hose every Sunday at Mass.

I don't actually know how things would turn out if someone were to show up dressed. If they passed and were new to the church nobody would think twice. If they couldn't pass, then things would get interesting.

There is a Metropolitan Community Church that accepts everybody a few miles down the street. I have entertained thoughts of going there on a Sunday morning if I could dress.

Every girl should dream......

noeleena
05-20-2014, 06:02 AM
Hi,

A little different for myself 16 years ago i have known many with in our groups so was known then and long before that,

About 8 years ago i would take Dejarn who is now 12 y 5 m to our group and a little after that though only our captian and his wife and two kids knew about myself and i would allso stay with them when they moved up to Christchurch one wee kend every month end and help out,

one sunday our group here in Waimate was to go down to Oamaru for a service so we did 15 of us and yes i was dressed as a normal woman and nobody knew who i was ,

now our group were to sit in together in seats appointed for us so just before we did i waved to captians wife as i drove in to the grounds and she did not know it was me till i smiled so she knew and i did same for captian he walked right past till i called him back agin did not know till i smiled,

any ways i sat with the others in our seats and our group though why was i there this was only for Waimate people , heck that was funny , and oh dear we had to go up on stage as well ,
who the heck is this woman they dont know.so yes i passed as was normal , did they know after hmmm not really because they had not seen me dressed before,

we have over 140 members in Oamaru and many know me as i play in the band and was part of the womens league plus i took Dejarn as well.

Of cause they know me as noeleena and my background so yes i can scrub up okay,

= Sally Army. =

...noeleena...

Dianne S
05-20-2014, 06:08 AM
I am not religious (anti-religious, actually) but was brought up Jewish. My wife does go to synagogue occasionally and I accompany her if she asks.

Since I will be transitioning, then yes... I suppose at some point I will go presenting as a woman. It's a Reform synagogue which I expect will be the most accepting of the three major Jewish streams...

Barbie Anne
05-20-2014, 06:12 AM
My outlook is that God made me this way and I don't think he'd mind how I dressed and if I did or didn't pass while showing my love and devotion for him. Finding a lgbt friendly church is another matter in the deep south.

BLUE ORCHID
05-20-2014, 06:35 AM
Hi Tiffy Jo, I would be afraid that the door might fall on me or I would burst into flames.

Ressie
05-20-2014, 07:24 AM
Depends on the church.

Butterfly Bill
05-20-2014, 07:26 AM
Grace Episcopal in Muskogee has seen me in pants only on workday Saturdays, and I have been going on Sundays since 2006. This was also the case at the Unity Church of Lawrence, Kansas. There are many liberal congregations that take seriously all that Jesus said about loving everyone.

Paula Siemen
05-20-2014, 07:48 AM
I have been to Cathedral of Hope in Dallas Texas a couple of times in full fem presentation. Cathedral of Hope is a large congregation for the GLBT community in the Dallas area and is very warm and welcoming to all. It has a very meaningful worship service and the music is truely awesome. I feel that I pass reasonably well and was treated very warmly by all that I encountered. I did not feel badly by going to church enfem as I believe that My God knows my heart and I cannot hide from Him no matter where I am or what I am wearing. Furthermore I believe that my Soul wears no clothes.

celeste26
05-20-2014, 08:13 AM
There are growing numbers of churches who are not merely accepting but encouraging. Within the Methodist frame there are a group called the Reconciling Ministries network RMN with lists of churches that are accepting.

go to www.rmnetwork.org/locate to find a church that is accepting not every state yet has one or more of these churches but their numbers are growing.

AS for me, I have been consistently going en femme and I am considered among the leaders there.

SheriM
05-20-2014, 08:16 AM
I don't dress when going to church. The two don't go together for me.

Kate T
05-20-2014, 08:23 AM
The question is not whether you can but why do you wish to. You should be going to church to worship and learn about god, not worrying about what you are wearing or what other people are thinking about you.

Deann Renee
05-20-2014, 10:43 AM
I spent a weekend last year en femme. Went to a catholic church en femme had no problems just the same as when I go en drab. Not my church but on e a little ways away.

DonnaT
05-20-2014, 01:56 PM
I underdress.

When I was in my teens, I would wear panties also. We took a gal friend with us, and I loved the idea of what I was wearing and wished I could dress further, like her. She always wore such great perfume.

StarrOfDelite
05-20-2014, 02:44 PM
As a general rule, I try to avoid places where there will be people who either want to burn me at the stake, hold an exorcism for me, or stone me.

DeeArel
05-20-2014, 03:11 PM
I don't dress when going to church.

I also believe one should attend as one entered the world. :)

CDPheobe
05-20-2014, 03:20 PM
I under dress a lot. My wife said no way to going enfemme. She claims church isn't the place so I'm not. Lol

celeste26
05-20-2014, 03:59 PM
There is no doubt that attending a church which specializes in condemning others would be a painful experience. But that is not what Christianity is all about. It should be about learning to love even our enemies. For those who cant do that have a great deal to learn.

If you want to go to church there are plenty which offer a safe experience and even encouragement. It might mean you need to look a little harder. So there really is no need to avoid church simply for fear of condemnation.

JenniferYager
05-20-2014, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't, only because unless I could pass 100% and not worry to much about being noticed, I'd feel like I was distracting others. It's the same concept as wearing inappropriate clothing to church: the point isn't to distract others, it's to worship.

Lorileah
05-20-2014, 04:28 PM
one of my best friends in the world was ordained almost two years ago, I was there. I don't go to church for many reasons but why wouldn't you dress how you like?

RenneB
05-20-2014, 08:24 PM
The church I used to go to had many members that didn't present in their gender. You know the ones that look like the SNL Pat character with no genetic markers of either a triangle figure (male) or the hour glass (female). Then the clothes were also non-conclusive and the short hair just left me guessing.... male or female....

Then again, I see the same cast at wallyworld and don't have a problem blending in...

As far as getting to church service on time, I'd have to wake up around dawn (not going to happen on the weekend) shower, get dressed 2 hours later end up walking in late to the service. While I have no qualms about going to church dressed, I just couldn't make it in time.

Renne.......

Alice Torn
05-20-2014, 08:26 PM
Celeste, I stand corrected. You are right about this.. I have a 33 yr old friendship with a homosexual man, in Seattle. He was called into the church i was called into. He kept his gayness secret for decades, but finally opened up to a minister, who instead of condemning, went and did his homework on it, and though the cjurch considered it wrong, he got to write a long anonymous article for the international magazine they have. Most know he is gay, but he does not practice sex with others. He is greatly loved where he attends. He tells me that he cannot understand why any man would put on women's clothes though, as i have told him my situation. He lives 2000 miles from me, now. We were just friends. I suppose that if i attended,all dressed up, though, it would not go as well.

Michelle789
05-20-2014, 09:29 PM
There is no doubt that attending a church which specializes in condemning others would be a painful experience. But that is not what Christianity is all about. It should be about learning to love even our enemies. For those who cant do that have a great deal to learn.

I agree 100%.

There are churches that are accepting. I'd imagine you have more choices in a big city than in a small town, but there are options.

I went to my first MCC (Metropolitan Community Church) service on Sunday, and loved every moment of it. Everyone welcomed me with open arms, and I really felt at home there, and plan on going back regularly. MCC and RMN are two options, and I'm sure there are others.

lingerieLiz
05-20-2014, 09:58 PM
As a young acolyte I knew that the women removed their dresses and wore just their robes over their slips, etc. I was sorely tempted to remove my outer clothes and wear a slip along with my panties. I never did.

abby054
05-20-2014, 11:04 PM
I would not go to a church service dressed. It is too distracting. I am somewhat immature, so dressing is mostly still about me. Going to church and participating is quite the opposite in my book: it is about finding and knowing God and my neighbors and learning to live a life of service to others. The whole experience is about others, so I would find dressing distracting to myself and others.

I have been inside churches dressed, but only for secular events, such as recitals and concerts.

I look at it this way: I tolerate many things out in public that I would never tolerate inside my own home.

rocketscientist
05-20-2014, 11:06 PM
I have been to church dressed. The first time I went was at my brother's church in So. IL. Even he had never seen me dressed until I showed up! If you look through my started threads you will find my account of the occasion as well as a few pics. Also, I plan to dress for church this coming weekend. My sister's goddaughters are having their first communion and I have a nice white dress picked out for the occasion! Hugs, Tonya

Maria 60
05-21-2014, 04:41 AM
A few weeks back we were going to church and I was getting changed and I was taking my pantyhose and panties off, when I wife asked me why I was getting changed, I told her I didn't feel comfortable going to church that way, she said "GOD made Maria I don't see why you shouldn't underdress to church.

bimini1
05-21-2014, 06:15 PM
My outlook is that God made me this way and I don't think he'd mind how I dressed and if I did or didn't pass while showing my love and devotion for him. Finding a lgbt friendly church is another matter in the deep south.

My dilemma is I don't know if it's something God did or is it something I conjured up from God knows where? If the former is true then yes church would not be a problem with God, but maybe with his "people".

Alice Torn
05-21-2014, 06:24 PM
The "church" is not a building made by men. I si the "called out ones" preparing for the coming new world. I agree, with those who said it is not all about me. To cause all kinds of attention to myself, unecessarily, is not considering everyone else. I would only underdress some. That's just me. Enjoying this thread, and the replies.

suchacutie
05-21-2014, 07:34 PM
I'm pretty sure that an early morning mass at St. Patrick's cathedral in NYC has seen just about every mode of dress and gender presentation possible. My only hesitation is that I keep my gendered selves very separate, so Tina would never attend my home church. Give me a couple hundred miles and I just don't see the issue. Except for the sign of peace, I would say that over 90% of the time not a word is said to me during or after mass. At least in my part of the world, a Catholic mass is as social as you make it, or not if you just keep to yourself, if you aren't already known in the congregation. After mass everyone might complain about your choice of clothes, but inside that church no one would bat an eyelash :)

sherri
05-21-2014, 10:36 PM
I went to my first MCC (Metropolitan Community Church) service on Sunday, and loved every moment of it. Everyone welcomed me with open armsThat has been my experience with our local MCC as well. I felt like the doctrine was sorta immature and it didn't feel particularly holy there, but it was nice to be me in church.

Michelle789
05-21-2014, 10:54 PM
MCC isn't so much about doctrine as it is about accepting. Their main message is that God loves you as you are.

sherri
05-22-2014, 10:40 AM
Point taken, although my belief system thinks there's a little more to it than that. But that's just me. Again, it was so nice to be me in church -- well, the good gurl me. ;-)

Megan Nicole
05-23-2014, 10:00 PM
I've been attending church all of my life. As an adult I've kept the faith and attend reguraly with my wife and children. During my younger years I loved going to church to see all the ladies in their Sunday dresses, hose and heels! Not that it was my only reason for going, but it was a bonus! Today, its harder to find those who will "dress up" for chruch as casual seems to be more the norm. Oh, the older ladies will dress, but the younger generation not so much. Sort of a downer. Though I'm a closet CDer I wear panties nearly 24/7, 365 except on rare occasion. Through the winter months when I can get away with heavier shirts and such I'll wear a bra, and often hose or tights. It just makes me feel good....as usual, and I don't think God will mind. At least I hope not. If I thought I could pass I'd love to visit a church while dressed. That's got to be one of my top on "Megan's Cd bucket list." I wouldn't want to make a fuss by being clocked at a church service, so this one probably won't happen.

Christina Page
05-24-2014, 02:04 AM
I don't think I would CD at my regular church where I've been attending as male. The transition would be too weird. But if visiting or switching to a new church, then I think it would be nice to attend dressed (tastefully & elegantly) as a woman. But one should do one's homework first and choose a church that is welcoming to LGBT folk.

As far as underdressing at your regular church, sure why not? Nobody will know and it shouldn't distract you or others from the service.
Last Easter Sunday I wore a pair of cute blue panties as all my male underwear was in the laundry. My wife's reaction? "Awesome".
But then she ruined it by saying "I hope you don't get into a car accident while wearing those". Bah. If I end up in the E.R., I'd have bigger worries than doctors and nurses seeing my panties!

mechamoose
05-24-2014, 02:11 AM
Without any other judgement, who do you want to be when you stand before god?

THAT is your answer. If your community doesn't accept who you are, find a different community!

( I suggest United Church of Christ or Unitarian Universalists! )

Blessed be honey. I believe each of us has the right to speak to god 1 on 1.

God has 10,000 names. Don't get hung on what *others* think. Who are you answering to?

<3

- MM

As one entered the world? You mean Skyclad?

We all entered this world horribly dependent, with no sense of propriety or responsibility.

Emi_
05-25-2014, 06:31 PM
It kinda depends on why you are going to a church. If it's just a social occasion, then it probably doesn't matter what you wear. Of course, some churches will be less tolerant than others for various reasons, but the point remains that if you are dressing for your own purposes then the churches purposes be damned. However, if you are attending church as a devout believer, then it is a worthwhile endeavor to seek out your own faith's stances on these things and try to be respectful of them. Cross-dressing is a deeply personal matter as is faith and we all need to find our comfort level individually. For some cross-dressing matters more than the restrictions of faith; for others faith matters more than personal satisfaction - either way, it is a personal matter and one that deserves personal contemplation.

To play along with everyone else, I am a devout person of faith and I wear women's clothes all the time - outwardly and under - though I have never cross-dressed and presented as female at church. I don't have an issue with cross-dressing at church, but I feel it's best to not cause problems. Maybe some think that that makes me a coward, but I have learned that not caring what people think about me is not the same as just not giving a damn about other people's feelings at all.

tiffyjo
05-25-2014, 06:34 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm planning on a purge in the future,,, of my male underwear. A lot of valid opinions. Once again, Thanks!

Alice Torn
05-25-2014, 06:42 PM
Emi! Very well said. VERY well said.

Rogina B
05-25-2014, 09:50 PM
I represent the T and B of the alphabet community for the UU church..You have a welcoming congregation close by you..

heatherdress
05-26-2014, 12:24 AM
I am surprised that this thread has not been deleted - and glad that it has not been. I tried to post a question about a church in my area that was soliciting TG and CD persons to attend. The thread was quickly removed because it mentioned church services which was "not permitted".

I did not go to the advertised service because I just felt it was a bit forward. I had great thoughts of openly going to church and being part of an accepting congregation wearing heels and a dress and make-up. Sounded great, but it did not feel right. I think I would have gone if it was not advertised. I also did not want my attire to diminish or detract from the spiritual service. God should come first, not my feminine appearance. I think I am going to go to this church, and go as Heather, but do it the same way everyone else goes - without unnecessary attention.

Kim_Bitzflick
05-29-2014, 07:25 PM
I have been to church presenting fully as female MANY TIMES. I usually do it when I am out of town for work. I attend Roman Catholic Churches and I have never had any negative situations.

Why do I do it? I just gotta be me.

Does the Catholic Church condemn it? I asked my pastor. He said NO they do not if it does not cause me to sin.