PDA

View Full Version : Going to Dubai

Anjana
05-19-2014, 10:47 PM
Hi I am from India and am planning to go to Dubai. Is ok to pack some nightgowns in my mom's luggage and then wear them at night when I am sleeping... Could there be e.g. hidden cameras in hotels. Requesting suggestions from cders who have already been there

Beverley Sims
05-20-2014, 01:36 AM
I doubt there are hidden cameras in the hotels, I would not go out in public dressed though.

PaulaQ
05-20-2014, 01:46 AM
Don't even try it. No, they won't have cameras in the room. But Dubai is quite hostile to transgender persons. It's just not worth the risk, which is considerable.

Katey888
05-20-2014, 04:08 AM
Hi Anjana,

I think you can expect the hotels to respect your privacy - particularly if they are an international chain. They could not risk the impact to global business if they were found to be spying on guests... :eek:

Dubai is quite western leaning, they do have their own values and while I think you could be safe enough in your hotel room, obviously you should not go out dressed and respect the values of the culture you are visiting (I know you do not say you want to do this... :))

You can do some great jewellery shopping at the Souk - I could really go for gold bangles and hoop earrings - there will be a huge choice at good prices... Enjoy your time if you go... I met my wife to be when I was on business in Dubai, so I do have some fond memories.... :D as well as being threatened with jail and my company potentially having it's products confiscated, but that's another story... ;)

Katey x

Kate Simmons
05-20-2014, 04:26 AM
Just be careful. It's my understanding that Dubai can be a pretty dangerous place in general. Hard to say what would happen to a CDer there if discovered.:straightface:

BLUE ORCHID
05-20-2014, 06:39 AM
Hi Anjana, Be careful what you wish for!!

Anjana
05-20-2014, 08:07 AM
I know abt the jail sentence or fine for being dressed in public... so not even thinking of it Katey... are they any good places for buying costume jewellery?

Rebekah_uk
05-20-2014, 05:48 PM
This is probably one of the most liberally minded countries in the Middle East, you must remember at all costs this is a Muslim country. When I visited some time ago I was advised against some basic things, like holding hands in public with my wife. When you are advised not to take pictures adhere to the warnings given especially around royal palaces. I wouldn't go out in public as this could be considered gross indecency and could lead to you being arrested and thrown in jail. I have heard stories of teenagers being arrested in turkey for getting up to shenanigans on the beach. Turkey is another liberal Muslim country as well, don't push the boundary of a countries tolerance especially a Muslim one.

Liberal Muslim countries but I certainly wouldn't take the risk.

Katey888
05-20-2014, 05:52 PM
Honestly I wouldn't know about costume jewellery... :) A lot of the stuff in the souk is 'real' gold but low purity - and some of it can be inexpensive but I have to admit, I've only ever shopped for jewellery with my wife and she has a virtually magnetic attraction to only the really pricey stuff...! :eek:
Probably best to ask when you get there...

Katey x