PDA

View Full Version : How old were you when you first told someone?

Sarah Doepner
05-22-2014, 04:33 PM
It seems that the earlier in life you share your crossdressing with others, the easier it should be. Without a long history that says you are just another guy, without a career or extensive family involvement it seems now that it would be simpler to broach the subject. I'm almost ready for Medicare now and it's difficult to place myself in that moment so many years back. As we age and keep this to ourselves we build a very large and complicated gender identity structure around our life. Each point of contact seems to be critical because that person has expectations and other contacts that create a potential for great loss. This would be particularly strong in the case of those with a career fearing potential damage. While that is resolved once we retire, the family has changed and now the kids we never told have children of their own. It becomes easier and easier to come up with excuses to stay hidden and in the closet as we grow older. I can't go back and change any of that history, but it would be nice to place it into perspective.

So, those who have told family and/or friends that you are a crossdresser, how old were you when you did that? Is this just my hangup or are there others out there who find it more and more difficult to share this as they age?

Dana M
05-22-2014, 05:14 PM
I just started telling people right before I joined the forum. at 35

Brandi Lesalle
05-22-2014, 05:22 PM
this forum gave me the courage to tell my wife last fall...I'm about to turn 38

Jolene Robertson
05-22-2014, 05:32 PM
Hi Sarah

I stayed strictly in the closeuntilll I retired and moved out of state at 55. My wife had noticed several indicators over the years and finally asked, we do not lie to each other so I came out to her. I wish I had done it earlier but it has been good for both of us. I'm still not out to anyone else who knows the male me for a number of reasons, family being #1. But when we get out of town I'm free to dress however I want and it is nice to be Jolene for a while out of the house. I could never have gone out before I retired for fear of being outed and all threpercussionsns that would have gone with it.

Lorileah
05-22-2014, 05:35 PM
sort of hinted around it for years but this is my midlife crisis. I really started coming out at 40

Christie ann
05-22-2014, 05:37 PM
You mean when I was a teenager in the 1960's and I told my dad and he told me that men who want to be women or dressed like women were sick. That pretty much stopped me from telling anyone else until I told my GF now my wife who told me that I needed counseling. I did tell a lesbian friend who welcomed me with somewhat open arms. Other than that I am pretty quiet about this.

Sarah Doepner
05-22-2014, 05:40 PM
I guess I should add this. My wife became aware of my crossdressing when I was in my early 50's and like so many others, I recognize I should have told her much sooner. She passed away a year ago and it put me back in the closet as far as family and friends go. I'm in a local support group and go to DLV, but I'm going through the same rationalization about not telling anyone as I did back before my wife found out. It sucked then and it sucks now and I'm attempting to find a good way to fight through the excuses so I can tell my adult children. It's something I need to do.

Farrah
05-22-2014, 05:54 PM
I finally told my wife about a month ago. I am 36. My wife is the only that knows as well as some random SA's. My family does not know and I plan to keep it that way. My wife knows and that's all that matters right now. I think my mom knows/knew, but I she didn't say anything about it. Wish I would've done it sooner.

countrygirl
05-22-2014, 06:19 PM
Told my sister at 23

dana digs sweaters
05-22-2014, 06:36 PM
Told my next older sister at 12.
Wasn't quite Halloween when we had the conversation.

CrossJess
05-22-2014, 06:44 PM
Hmmm interesting post because I cant really answer it to well, it just kind of just happened for me I didn't tell anyone because I didn't have anything to tell as nothing was a secrete. Age 6 I started stepping over the line with girls wear all because I met my best friend jojo "a girl" at the time and she would dress me in her stuff when I was around hers usually because my stuff got dirty trouble was wearing her clothes was rubbing off on me and got to the point wear I preferred it to boys stuff because it was way cooler also it was the 80s and lots of boys were looking girly so I didn't really stand out, when you are that young and do it from that age people just get used to you I suppose, was also very lucky that mum always wanted a girl but she never got one so seeing me in girls clothes was a good connection so mum never held back with me wanting to dress as a girl.

Really glad I met JoJo when I did because reading some of the horror stories here about cds living a secrete life and living in fear of what their partners will do and say it's so sad, that would of tore me to bits.

AprilMayy<3
05-22-2014, 06:58 PM
I was 13 when I first told someone, and it went very well for me. She accepted it, and now 5 years later she's supportive of it and helps me with it in small ways. I've told multiple people since her, though other than my sister and mom, she's the most supportive. And I'm pretty sure I thank her everyday because of it lol.

kimdl93
05-22-2014, 07:00 PM
Maybe seventeen

BLUE ORCHID
05-22-2014, 07:33 PM
Hi Sarah , It was 50 Years ago when I was 21 and I told my new wife and to this day she is the only one that knows.

PretzelGirl
05-22-2014, 09:08 PM
I believe that anything that we perceive as negative becomes larger as it ages even if it is the exact same situation.

I believe my wife was brought in at about 41 and we told the first "other" person at about 47

Beverley Sims
05-22-2014, 09:20 PM
My parents knew when I was young but it was never discussed.

April_Ligeia
05-22-2014, 09:26 PM
About thirty-five, the person was my ex-wife. Worst decision ever.

DanielleInMI
05-22-2014, 10:15 PM
I think the first person that I ever brought up GID to was a guy that I was sleeping with at the time. He was not too supportive about it, thought I was nut's. Pretty much kept it to myself until I met my wife 4 years ago.

eileendover
05-22-2014, 10:24 PM
Still no one (other than all of you here). :)

sissystephanie
05-22-2014, 11:13 PM
I told my wife-to-be when I was 23. She thought it would be fun for the two of us to dress as females and go out in public, which we did frequently. My children were told when they were grown.

Dianne S
05-22-2014, 11:20 PM
I told my mother when I was about 22. Told my fiancee (who is now my wife) shortly thereafter.

Then things lay dormant......

..... until a couple of months ago when at age 47, I came out as TS to my mother, wife, children and sisters.

marshalynn
05-23-2014, 12:35 AM
My wife found out when I was about 40 years old, she pasted away about 2 years later, told no one until I was 68 years old. Now , I have told family and 7 other people (hair solon and nail solon) dress fem 99 % of time now, hair is past my shoulder blades and colored, have long nails mostly polished all the time, each ear has three piercing and I always wear ear rings, eye brows are waxed to a fem shape, I guess I finally stopped thinking about what other people thought and just lived my life how I wanted, don't know why it took me so long. So who did I tell, I guess every one now by the way I look. VERY HAPPY WITH MY LIFE NOW... Marshalynn

Bridgette
05-23-2014, 04:48 AM
Age 27 to my fiancée at the time, now wife. Then my mother over the phone whom said "well i'm wearing slacks" after I told her that i'm wearing a long black satin skirt. Then some of my female friends, who some gave me some of their old clothes.
Bridgette

wanda66
05-23-2014, 05:49 AM
Not a soul. Here is the only time that I have admitted to crossdressing. I am soon to be 67.

stacycoral
05-23-2014, 08:03 AM
I first talk to my minister at church when I was 16, and my wife before we were enaged 25 years ago.

Athena_
05-23-2014, 08:27 AM
The only person who knows about my crossdressing is my wife. I was confronted by her when she found my stash. That was when I was 42. Still at the DADT level with her. I am still scared what my friends, family, and children would think about it if they were told. My family and friends have very conservative views about most issues. This site has helped me greatly, and I find the experiences of the other members both hopeful and inspiring. I am slowly building courage over time....

AnneC
05-23-2014, 08:53 AM
I wish I could talk to someone. My wife knows but I think she wishes she didn't. I would really like to talk about this with some of my GG friends but just can't bring myself to do it.

mariehart
05-23-2014, 09:04 AM
It's always interesting to read other people's experiences. But the first time anyone found out was when I was dressed got drunk and walked in on my sisters while dressed after they came home from a night out. They had been drinking too. I did it because I believed they knew already and I wanted to get it out in the open. I got a very negative reaction. Which surprised me. They never mentioned it again. I suppose I was in my mid thirties.

The first person I deliberately told was my brother who I knew would be cool about it. I also wondered a bit if he was the same. I think he must have known anyway as he was close to one of the sisters who knew. He just said Whatever you're into.' and didn't mention it again either. I suppose I was hoping for more, maybe the opportunity to talk. After that I did dress in front of him occasionally but in the end I got embarrassed and stopped.

Other than men I'd meet as Marie. I told no one else until I was in my forties and had realised there more to it than simple crossdressing.

My wife doesn't know or pretends not to know. My experience with my sisters prevents me from making it obvious.

The sad thing about it all is that I just want to open about it. It's harmless after all and it's the real me. But I've no one to talk to about it except online.

Giselle(Oshawa)
05-23-2014, 09:17 AM
i never told a soul until i went online probably 15 years ago
finally told my wife of then 27 years three years ago this
June 22, it was a horrible decision, we are still together and she
has been as tolerant or even somewhat supportive after the
initial shock as anyone could hope for.
but i have lost her trust forever and she is not the same
person i married, this lie cut her deep to the bone and she
is not the cheerful person she once was, i know that in the
next life i will pay for this deceit.

Claire Cook
05-23-2014, 09:38 AM
I told my wife within a year of our marriage ... 45 years ago. Up until about 5 years ago, she was the only one who knew. Then I started coming out to others, mostly GG friends, and all I know is that seemed so good to share this intimate thing with them. Now it seems that like June, Claire is bustin' out all over. Oh -- was that a pun?? :battingeyelashes:

suchacutie
05-23-2014, 10:05 AM
My wife and I discovered Tina together, at age 55 for me, so in a formal sense I've never"told" anyone. We keep my gendered selves separate, meaning no one eexcept my wife knows both sides of me.

secretcd1
05-23-2014, 10:20 AM
I've never told anybody and I don't plan to, it's one area of my life that I feel no need to reveal and prefer to keep it private.

Karen kc
05-23-2014, 10:34 AM
I was probably 42-43 yo, say 2000, when I told my 2nd ex-wife, She knew ther was something on my mind and I finally told her after 14 yrs of marrage . My present wonderful wife is cool with my dressing

JamieG
05-23-2014, 11:26 AM
I told my wife when I was 32. Outside of the T-community, I've only told two other people since then, and my wife told her sister.

Ally 2112
05-23-2014, 08:53 PM
i was about 28 i told my x wife .This was before we got married

Christina Page
05-24-2014, 01:45 AM
I was 40 when I got married. Told my wife about my CD'ing 3 years into our marriage and I am glad that I did :)

Amanda_P
05-24-2014, 05:02 AM
At 17 my girlfriend 15 wanted to do my hair. Back in the 70s everyone had long hair. Well she also had a dress that she thought would look great on me. Little did she know I was in heaven. Then we went out for ice cream. I was loving it all. When we got married she knew how much I loved it. But unfortunately 5 years later it ended.

Marcelle
05-24-2014, 05:14 AM
My first girlfriend when I was 17 convinced me to dress as a girl and go on a date (once) but it was for sexual role play purposes and I didn't even know about being TG . . . so that really doesn't count. However I told my wife 32 years late and she was the first to know.

Hugs

Isha

DAVIDA
05-24-2014, 05:24 AM
I was 35 when I asked Jean to marry me. I told her at the same time.
That was 24 years ago.:)
There are a LOT of family and friends who know about me now.
There has never been any negative reactions.:D

Raychel
05-24-2014, 05:50 AM
I first told my wife about 9 years ago. I was about 45 years old.
That was a very rough time for everyone,

After we got thru that spell and some time has passed, I have told many people.
and never a bad reaction. Some have been very supportive, some just have no reaction at all
very few are uncomfortable with it, and those that are don't say anything negative.

So all is good, Only one last person to tell that really matter in my life, And that is Dad.
after he knows, then everyone else on the planet can think whatever they want.

Jaclyn
05-24-2014, 06:09 AM
I told my wife after 19 years of marriage this past January. We've been closer than we've been in a long time.
If I'd have known she'd be so great about it and all that I was missing out on I would have told her years ago.

Jackie

bianca316
05-28-2014, 01:26 PM
29 yrs old. 4 months into marriage. Kind of a shock but she loves it now

calliekat
05-28-2014, 01:36 PM
I first told someone only less then a month ago.
That makes the age I told someone at 50.

janel p.
05-29-2014, 05:22 AM
I was around 30

Ginger Jameson
05-29-2014, 11:32 AM
I was 36 or 37. My ex-wife figured it out so I didn't have much choice. With my wife now we discussed it right off the bat. Secrets, especially massive ones like hiding who you truly are, just aren't good.

RobynC
05-29-2014, 11:37 AM
I finally introduced Robyn when I was 30 y/o in 1991, when I went for my first professional makeover. I have introduced Robyn to many more people since then and became good friends with many. I haven't told my mother though and after losing my sister a few years ago, I don't know how well she would take it now? She is 84 y/o now and I hope one day to show her pictures of myself and see if she recognizes me in them?

KaceyR
05-29-2014, 03:42 PM
Let's see...I'm 48 now...so guess I was... 48 when I first told someone-my mom. :)
Only started serious dressing last Sep-OCT, and on my Christmas visit I told her. Jan started telling friends. Now all but maybe 2 friends know (heavy religious), and 1 coworker knows. Lucky all are accepting.

Katie01
05-29-2014, 03:55 PM
Probably late 20's early 30's to my therapist. I was very nervous but after I felt a huge relief... even exhilarated. About a year ago I started dating a woman and recently told her about it and she was very accepting. I love her for that. I never did tell my ex of 26 years and now regret it.

StephanieCLT
05-29-2014, 04:24 PM
I started delicately testing the waters with my wife to see the reaction. Unfortunately, it wasn't good at all. So, she has no idea of my level of interest. Maybe one day...

samantha rogers
05-29-2014, 05:44 PM
Well, I won't say how old, but it was only this year...sigh.

Rachel292
05-29-2014, 06:14 PM
I never ever told my (ex) wife. Divorced about 16 years ago. Raised kids as a single parent. But once I retired a couple of years ago. I waited till my son flew the nest. Told my mum and daughter back earlier this year age 57yrs 11months. They are still the only ones who know.

Michaela42
05-29-2014, 07:48 PM
Came out to my Mother around 16...but only because I accidentally ruined a pair of her shoes (long story). Other than her, I have only told two of my female cousins. One at age 17, and the other at age 27.

giuseppina
05-29-2014, 07:59 PM
I told licensed health care professionals as they gained my trust on this over the last fifteen years or so. In the case of those dealing with mental health, it is relevant to my issues. I don't have any issues any more about the crossdressing.

Bryanne
05-30-2014, 07:22 PM
The first person I told was my girlfriend at around age fourteen or fifteen (should have held on to that girl!), and she was great. I told a couple of friends, as well, and lost one on the spot. Haven't really told anyone since.

Butterfly Bill
05-31-2014, 05:57 AM
My mother discovered it when I was 13. As for the rest of the world, I didn't tell them, I showed it to them at a Rainbow Gathering when I was 41.

noeleena
05-31-2014, 06:50 AM
Hi,

No matter what was said about your self if you were different you would have been cartered off to the funny farm or nuthouse . so no you keeped your trap shut tight. 1950's,

I told Jos what i was / am about 21 years ago. and no to have spoken about being different even then met with indifference, though over the years a few people knew more about myself than i knew, at some point in my life it was going to be shown one way or the other,

Plus i knew my life would be different just how much well thats unfolded, over the last 20 odd years, and of cause im well documented so every one has been told and knows about us .

so after all said and done im too well known now,

...noeleena...

Skylarlynn40
07-30-2014, 05:30 PM
I told my wife in when we been together one and a half to 2 yrs before we got married. I was extremely nervous and she could tell I was thinking of something. Afterwards, she said she was worried that we were going to break up. Still she isn't comfortable with my dressing and I told her I wasn't going to push the matter hoping that she would become more comfortable with time but that has yet to happen. I am glad I told her and that I don't have any other secrets from her. She says that she understands but doesn't really give any support and sometimes it makes me feel negative about wanting to dress. She is the only person I have told and even though our marriage is great and we love each other, I wish that she was a little more comfortable with things. Sorry forgot my age, we were both 22 at the time.

xoMindyxo
07-30-2014, 05:40 PM
The first person I EVER told about me was my best genetic female friend, three years ago, when I was 36. Knowing she was open minded to begin with and had other cross-dressers for friends, I knew I could trust her, be accepted and she was my first choice. It was like a weight lifted off my shoulders for sure. Went shopping with her soon after. I was like a kid in a candy store !

Jill_cd
07-30-2014, 05:58 PM
I was 39 and told my soon-to-be-ex-wife (8 years ago). She was having an affair with a coworker and I thought getting it out in the open would help us save the marriage. Boy was I wrong! I've told a Catholic priest in the confessional, but as far as anyone else, no one.

NavyM2F_WAM
07-30-2014, 06:14 PM
It was only a couple months ago. I am 36. I told a girl that I thought was going to become my new girlfriend, but she didn't accept it.

Kylee-Blackstad
07-30-2014, 06:50 PM
24...and really didn't let the feminine out of me till recently. First told my partner, and really ended up walking around in front of the roommates one day before going out clubbin.

CONSUELO
07-30-2014, 07:19 PM
My ex- knew and tolerated it but later said she did not like "sleeping with a woman". Later she changed her mind and said she would accept anything. She probably would have too. But it was too late.
Told my current wife well before we were married. She raised no objections but after we were married she did object. I don't think she really knew what it was and did not bother to find out.
Anyway I have been completely in the open with my cross dressing for years except with my children, who have long left the nest. I do not want to hide it but as after a long time of living a double life; male in career and part time cross dresser, the barrier becomes very large.

Given my experience I have been a long time advocate of confronting ones cross dressing and sexuality at a young age and if at all possible, seeking good professional counseling. I cannot conceive of the stress of trying to keep it secret from one's wife or partner for decades. I would have gone mad if I had tried to do that. I am awed that there are so many who are able to do so.

Charla McBee
07-30-2014, 08:25 PM
I must have been 22 or 23, had to toss a few back at a bar to work up the courage. It must have gone well because five years later I married the person.

Sometimes Steffi
07-30-2014, 10:06 PM
My wife discovered when I was 31, but, like the Norse discovery of America, the discovery was lost to history.

She really discovered when I was 54, after almost 30 years of marriage, and a few more of dating and courtship.

She's the only one who knows, well except for my therapists, some doctors, my tailor, my nail tech, some MAs at MAC and Ulta, my local CD friends, and all of you.

Kati F
07-31-2014, 10:26 AM
I told my wife when I was 23. She accepted me totally (I'm really lucky, I totally love that woman!). I'm going to be 60 this fall and I finally have started coming out to the rest of the world in the past year. I don't know what took me so long, probably fear of what 'others' would think. I should have come out years ago because it really feels good to reveal the other half of me to the world!

Tinasworld2
07-31-2014, 07:47 PM
How about two ages. Early twenties, went poorly. Mid thirties went well. Age brings wisdom not just from you but friends as well.....

Bethany38
08-01-2014, 08:11 AM
I was 38 Before I told anyone.

colleen_cd
08-01-2014, 09:34 AM
I'm 43 and just recently told my wife. Never even considered telling anyone before.

naneomi
08-01-2014, 11:09 AM
41 and I still haven't told anyone.

sometimes_miss
08-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Let's see, the first person I ever told was my ex wife. That didn't go well, a few years later we divorced, and she really, really hated me. Next was our therapist. After the divorce, I dated a co-worker, who after a few dates reluctantly admitted that she was gay and just needed a friend to go out socially with while she waited for her girlfriend to get a visa to come and live here. It made me laugh, she got annoyed, until I told her that she wasn't the only one with a secret. When I told her, she got to laugh. We went out together for the next six months, until her girlfriend arrived. Since then, only people online.
I didn't include my coming out to family; none of that went well, I stopped telling anyone, I no longer know who told who else, but I do know that contact from family has stopped almost entirely.

allisonagain
08-02-2014, 07:49 AM
I was 25, 10 years into dressing when I told my then GF because I was thinking of proposing. I had to tell whoever I married because I did not want to hide for the rest of my life. She married me anyways!

Tina B.
08-02-2014, 08:19 AM
First one that caught me was my dad, lied my way out of that one. At nine, we where just playing, I was told not to "play" like that again, or else!
At 22 I told my first wife, that is part of the reason she was my first wife.
At around 35 I told my second wife, she accepted Tina with open arms, and I've been dressing at home every since.
Oh, I did have to explain what a Transvestite was to my big brother, when the first wife tried to use it against me during the divorce, that was a fun ride home, after the hearing.
Those are the only ones that I have ever told, and will most likely be the only ones I ever do tell.
My wife of 44 years is fine with my dressing, and I don't feel the need too share it with anyone else.

boyinpink
08-02-2014, 08:21 AM
Around age 21 to my then wife who I later devoiced.

Rachel Mari
08-02-2014, 01:11 PM
I was five when I told my best friend that I wanted to be a girl and wear girl clothes. That didn't go well....was no longer my friend and tormented me the rest of grade school.

I never told anyone again until my therapist in Nov 2010 at 54 years old. My wife was next....that didn't go well either. Now we're coparents and friends but not husband and wife. She says that eventually we'll divorce.

Since I've told her three years ago, I've come out TS to all three of my kids (37, 19, 13), three of five sisters and both my brothers. All my coworkers, soccer teammates and a number of important people.

marsha leanne
08-02-2014, 03:03 PM
my story is much like others. discovered by my first wife around 25-26, after she walked in on me. did not actually tell her (in a letter) until around age 35. found myself divorced by 38. She tried using it against me both when we were in court and by telling my son. (both instances backfired on her).
determined i was not getting remarried ever, then met my now wife. told her up front, she shared some things with me, and we have been in a dadt now for almost 20 years. she gives me space and time, but has indicated she does not want to participate or ask questions.

brandyred166
08-02-2014, 08:07 PM
I told my first person when I was 19 years old. It was my gay friend. I told him about some of the dreams and ideas I had. After I had told him and felt some relief. I told my bff/gf at the time and she actually went and bought me panties. I couldn't believe it. But she also was the type of girl that was so madly in love with me that she didn't want to lose me. I have since told each of my gf's and the toughest one was when I told my wife. We were dating and she didn't know what to think. Of course she asked if I was gay. And I'm not. She was slightly accepting because she had always wondered what it would be like to be a guy, so she understood. She's liked seeing more in more things recently. It's made us closer and given us things to talk about. She's seen how happy I am and becomes more accepting.

alwayshave
08-02-2014, 11:53 PM
I was 46, 7 years ago when I told my now fiancee. She asked all the normal questions, was I gay, did I want gender reassignment surgery, etc.... I am very comfortable as a male, I just like dressing as a woman. At this point, I don't think there is a thing that I could not tell her.

joanna4
08-03-2014, 03:55 AM
17 years old about 6 years ago when I got my first outfit and wig.

Ressie
08-03-2014, 06:16 AM
I was 26 in 1979. My new girlfriend told me she was bisexual within a couple of weeks of going out with her. Since she was so open with me, I told her that I like wearing panties etc. I also told my sister shortly after that. This doesn't mean that I was out of the closet, but every serious gf I had since was told early in the relationship. My bi gf was the only one that seemed to like the idea.

ringedjohn
08-03-2014, 06:27 AM
My wife is the only person who knows that I underdress. I was around 73 when I carelessly left a single nylon stocking in the bathroom. So I came out and told her that I liked wearing women's underwear. Shortly thereafter I was able to wear bras, panties (and tights in winter), with her knowledge if not enthusiastic approval. I had been in the closet for years.

I have natural breasts due to BP medication and a strong genetic tendency and now fill a B cup in most makes of bras.

miss_jessie
08-03-2014, 06:49 PM
I was either 19 or 20, I went to the Samaritans charity to speak to someone there about it, to try and get it straight in my mind (of course, I am still confused but telling someone lifted a great weight from my chest)

I sat down opposite this kind and calm woman, and began skirting around the problem, just saying how it made me feel before eventually dropping the 'I like to wear women's clothing' bomb.
She looked at me, still smiling calmly and said, "that wasn't too hard was it?"
And I replied, "no, I guess the world didn't end after all"

kiwidownunder
08-03-2014, 10:13 PM
May last year I finally told my wife of 30years
Was 48 at the time we are both head over HEELS in love with each other!
Its soooooo wonderful

Kiwi

Rebekah_uk
08-03-2014, 10:39 PM
This February, at age forty and much happier now that i am able to buy things and not start thinking like a drug smuggler where i am going to hide them.

GenieGirl
08-03-2014, 10:41 PM
I told my ex gf 2 years ago at 24 when we first started dating. Since then I've told quite a few people. I't has helped me open up so much the more I tell.

Pantyhoselover1979
08-04-2014, 08:10 PM
I told my now wife almost 2 years ago after we had been dating about 2 months so that was when I was 33 she is still the only person that knows :-)

Adam7
08-04-2014, 08:47 PM
29. I told my GF shortly after she discovered a wealth of photos on my phone. It was only about a week ago...

Nadya
08-04-2014, 09:48 PM
My children were told when they were grown.
Now that could be a topic all in itself.

I only just told my then-girlfriend now-fiance about 6 months ago (29).

raven_crossdresser
09-13-2014, 06:59 PM
I was 25 when I told my wife.

TokyoLily
09-13-2014, 07:25 PM
I was 17. Told my older sister. I was 31 when I told my mother (well, SHOWED her when she came over to the apartment by my opening the door and TA-DAAAA! But I knew she would be cool with it). I've told a colleague or two back in the day. Our "ladies' night out" was always planned but never happened. Ex-wife knew after we married and she wasn't too keen on it. Told current wife about it when we were dating. She didn't mind (why she's good with it is a long story). Since she works for MAC cosmetics she helps with the make-up. I keep getting the urge to tell more people (i.e., neighbors), especially because I've noticed more female clothing has gotten into my daily rotation.

phylis anne
09-13-2014, 11:06 PM
wow great thread ,
I am envious of thos who have been successful in this journey,as for me I am still in the closet with a sign on the door be careful of what you ask for, as my family would totally disown me ,still underdressing and now starting to dress has been a stress reliever ,very strange as I am so relaxed and even more so I am very personable as compared to my drab gruff countenance good luck to all of you who finally get up the courage to come out phylis anne

SusanaO
09-14-2014, 02:21 AM
I was 27 when I came out to a couple of friends. I have a few more to go!

stockinged nemo
09-15-2014, 01:18 PM
I was 26 when I told my wife. I still haven't told anyone else at age 31. I think I am going to tell one of my friends soon though.

Tammy Lynn Tx
09-15-2014, 09:58 PM
I was 12 and told a good friend of mine.There aren't that many I have told... but if I could go back in time there are a few of the ones I did tell I wouldn't tell again. My wife knows and I have gotten very used to my closet and even like it there most of the time :brolleyes:

Sarah Doepner
09-19-2014, 10:38 AM
I was either 19 or 20, I went to the Samaritans charity to speak to someone there about it, to try and get it straight in my mind (of course, I am still confused but telling someone lifted a great weight from my chest)

I sat down opposite this kind and calm woman, and began skirting around the problem, just saying how it made me feel before eventually dropping the 'I like to wear women's clothing' bomb.
She looked at me, still smiling calmly and said, "that wasn't too hard was it?"
And I replied, "no, I guess the world didn't end after all"

Miss Jessie, that is a wonderful story and a great response.

I do appreciate everyone else who is posting on the thread. I'll have to do some more reading but it really does look like there are more positive responses than negative ones. Wives seem to be the ones who seem to be reluctant and threatened by this news, and it makes perfect sense particularly in the context of a long marriage prior to the disclosure.

MariaA
09-19-2014, 12:36 PM
I was 23 and I told my first wife and she loved it. We just had other problems which led to our separating. LOL

carahawkwind
09-19-2014, 12:44 PM
I told a close female friend when I was about 21 or so. I didn't tell anyone again for about 5 years after that, a woman I was in an "It's Complicated" sort of relationship with and I'm still only out to a few people now, pretty much my wife, her sister and her best friend, I've lost touch with the first few people I told. I've still not told anyone I'm directly related to or any men.

VAWyman
09-19-2014, 07:19 PM
67, good at hiding it. 'Nuf said.

Alex PL
09-20-2014, 03:13 AM
18-19yo then before every dating

JayeLefaye
09-20-2014, 07:19 PM
I was 48, and had escaped a bad marriage of 18 years and had taken up with a charming woman who had also recently escaped a bad long-term relationship. But my CDing was never all-consuming, so I simply told her that I'd hit some thrift stores, and umm, had bought some women's things. She demanded a fashion show:-) But she also had shared custody of her two teenage boys, so I pretty much just kept it to nightgowns.

We broke up a few years later for other reasons, and that's when I started taking it a little more seriously, and by the summer of 2009, after lurking here for several months and learning that I wasn't some kind of total freak(THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!), I decided to just let 'er rip and made several public appearances at functions; my church, a monthly house-party, all with people who'd known me for a few years. The response was overwhelmingly supportive.

I then met the woman I eventually married and told her on our first date, but she lived 300 miles away, so I had to move out of town before the news of my coming out had spread everywhere...But all in all, it was nothing short of positive. I haven't quite gotten around to telling my brother and sister yet, but one lives in Florida and the other in Michigan, so I've only seen them in person three times in the last five years and it's just not a conversation I want to have over the phone.

Jaye

SuzanneS
09-20-2014, 09:45 PM
I told a really good friend of mine when I was 37 yrs old....back in 2012. I even showed up at her place 150+ miles away one night dressed as Suzanne. She was fine with it, told me that I looked great, had the mannerisms down and did a good job of presenting, even took me to a couple thrift shops a few weekends later. I love that girl, always will.

Suzanne