PDA

View Full Version : My big fear, no more high heels!

Algoma
05-24-2014, 07:13 PM
On Friday I tore my Achilles Tendon doing wind sprints. :eek: OCH! Felt like someone hit my heel with a 2x4. ER Doc says I will need surgery to reattach it., I'll know more details on Tuesday. The internet MD's site say recovery is long and in a cast or boot. Looks like no summer heels. :sad: My biggest fear is I'll have trouble with High heels after I'm all healed up. My favorite part of going out is spend all night in 5" heels. Am going to have to say good bye to high heels? :sad: I need to hear from anyone that has their had Achilles Tendons reattached. Will it be OK? Or do I really have to find more cute flats to love?

Scared, Algoma

Samantha Clark
05-24-2014, 07:18 PM
I'm no MD and I don't even play one on TV. But I suspect that high heels won't be a problem because they result in plantar flexion which is less stress on the tendon than dorsi flexion. Any licensed professionals want to weigh in?

Beverley Sims
05-24-2014, 07:32 PM
Algoma,

It should all go well, what you need to do continue physio after you get out of the cast, usually more than six weeks.

The tendon slides within a sleeve in the back of your leg and in order to stop it seizing up you will need to keep up regular exercise.

Don't jump from rock to rock using the balls of your feet for about twelve months either.

It needs to heal properly.

2B Natasha
05-24-2014, 07:43 PM
Algoma I feel for you. I too tore my Achilles tendon completly. Felt just like you said. Hit in the back of the leg with a 2 x 4. I did mine playing indoor soccer. This was after playing for 45 min already so I was good and warmed up.

Wearing heels will be fine after about 1 year. It takes a long time to heal up properly. You will be in a boot or cast with your toes pointed downward. You should feel lucky actually that you tore it completely. Seems that when you just tear it but it is still attached. They won't operate on it and it just takes time. Like almost twice as long then if you have surgery on it The biggest issue I have had with it is that the right leg that I tore the tendon in. The calf is noticeable smaller then the left. Plus the strength just isn't the same. Granted I didn't exercise the way I used to after I healed due to having my first child. But it's OK now.

But you'll be fine. I wear heels allot and I don't have any issues from it.

Cheers

I'm in hte middle of cooking so I'll tell you more if you send a PM or just post in here. I'll answer whatever I can.

BLUE ORCHID
05-24-2014, 08:08 PM
Hi Algoma, Like Bev said be sure to go to all the therapy and don't rush things.
I can't imagine not wearing Hi-Heels again.

Katey888
05-25-2014, 04:20 AM
Ouch indeed! Poor you... :hugs:

Prognosis from our forum experts sounds quite positive though - all I'd advise is that whatever the medicos tell you is the recovery period and physio regime, stick to it religiously... don't be tempted to start exercising normally earlier than you should - make sure everything gets healed and recovered completely. :)

Sounds like cute flats will be order of the day for a while and then work your way back up again...

I have no idea what a wind sprint is but I'm darned sure I won't be doing any of THAT in the near or distant future... just a gentle stroll to the local coffee shop or a ramble to the pub for me... ;)

Wishing you a successful op and speedy recovery...
Katey x

natcrys
05-25-2014, 04:31 AM
That sounds terrible.. both the injury itself and the prospect of not wearing heels again for the foreseeable future! :(

I would probably visit a few doctors and ask them everything I could to figure out how to get back to a 100% and how to heal for heels! :)

manito_76
05-25-2014, 08:57 AM
really bad
:(
On Friday I tore my Achilles Tendon doing wind sprints. :eek: OCH! Felt like someone hit my heel with a 2x4. ER Doc says I will need surgery to reattach it., I'll know more details on Tuesday. The internet MD's site say recovery is long and in a cast or boot. Looks like no summer heels. :sad: My biggest fear is I'll have trouble with High heels after I'm all healed up. My favorite part of going out is spend all night in 5" heels. Am going to have to say good bye to high heels? :sad: I need to hear from anyone that has their had Achilles Tendons reattached. Will it be OK? Or do I really have to find more cute flats to love?

Scared, Algoma

Jenniferathome
05-25-2014, 10:00 AM
Remember that heels actually shorten the Achilles' tendon putting less stress on it. Rehab is a long painful process but there is no reason you can't do everything you did prior. It's all about the work in rehab.

reb.femme
05-25-2014, 10:42 AM
Physio is the biggest call after a successful op. I damaged my ankle many years back, got slack on the rehab and I now have a weak and easy to roll ankle. My fault entirely.

I feel your pain, but on a lighter note, you could ask for a cast on both feet with some kitten heels sealed in. Granted that plaster boots aren't ideal summer attire though. :heehee:

Rebecca

Algoma
05-26-2014, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE=2B Natasha;3518945]Algoma I feel for you. I too tore my Achilles tendon completly. Felt just like you said. Hit in the back of the leg with a 2 x 4. I did mine playing indoor soccer. This was after playing for 45 min already so I was good and warmed up.

Wearing heels will be fine after about 1 year. It takes a long time to heal up properly. You will be in a boot or cast with your toes pointed downward. :daydreaming:

Being in a boot or cast with toes pointed down. That's like wearing high heels! Like Barbie feet. Maybe it won't be so bad.:heehee:

2B Natasha
05-27-2014, 09:11 AM
Hey there Algoma.

What really surprised me was that they waited to operate. With an Achilles tear usually they operate with 24 hours. Why I don't know. Just they do.

I spent 3 days in the hospital. Funny it didn't hurt me. From when I did it tell ever. I never took any pain meds even after the surgery.

Keep me posted on how it goes. I know it will go well. Should be a little incision. Almost no scaring.

Cheers.

DonnaT
05-27-2014, 02:23 PM
I ruptured one and tore the other of the 2 Peroneal tendons in my right ankle. I'll never be able to wear heels again. Hard enough wearing tennis shoes or flats.

Hope you can get back into heels by next year.

AnneC
05-27-2014, 03:04 PM
Ii hope you heal fast. One of the great pleasures is wearing heels.

bimini1
05-27-2014, 03:10 PM
I take it you won't make Drab To Fab. Terrible. I blew mine out 5 years back on the basketball court. It was early in the morning without stretching properly. Push off my left foot driving to the basket and 'pow'. Sounded like a shot going off.

During the recovery it got infected. So it mushroomed into a nightmare. There is no tendon there now at all. Interestingly enough, that was my first thought, no more heels. How could that be my first thought? Pathetic but true. Well, long story short, big old scar there. And since the whole tendon is gone just scar tissue it changed the definition of my calf muscle. One leg is now smaller than the other. Can't tell unless you look real close.

Well I'm back in heels but then got herniated disc 1 and half years ago that is still acting up. I'm still back in heels though. I believe you will be too with good PT.

Emi_
05-27-2014, 07:08 PM
I know heels are fun and all that, but what's wrong with wearing flats? Lots of women wear them - many of them preferring them to heels. I have an edema due to problems with my heart and it causes my feet to swell so I haven't been able to wear heels for about a year now. Yes, at first I felt devastated - like my femininity had been stolen from me. in time, I came to understand that being feminine isn't just about what clothes I wear. I have lovely ballet flats that I wear now and I adore them. Sure, it's a different way of experiencing being a girl, but it has been like discovering cross-dressing all over again - being more like the girls around me and not just this vampy vixen fantasy in stilettos.

I pray you heal well and soon and get back to the things you enjoy. It just seems like everyone pushes for one way to experience being this way when there is so much more to explore and discover and enjoy.