PDA

View Full Version : Channeling my Inner Jackie

michelleddg
05-25-2014, 09:27 AM
Yeah, I'm a girly girl and yearn for the days when Jackie Onassis set the pace. That's not how it's done at the mall these days, however. Good news, though. Slowly - slowly - I'm starting to get it.

For yesterday's trip to the mall, I:

o Toned down the makeup (no false eyelashes, nude lipstick)
o No heels
o Modest top
o Skinny jeans

That a way to do it, Michelle, if you're going to blend then no calling attention to yourself!

I hit a very popular mall at 5pm on Saturday, so busy it was hard to find a parking spot in the structure. Maybe they were guffawing and snorting behind my back but I really truly did not feel all eyes were on me. Got ma'amed in the Dillard's shoe department, that was a treat.

Headed over to the Macy's MAC counter where I've had a bunch of makeovers. It was mobbed with waiting customers 3-4 deep and perhaps 6 artistes really working hard. None of my regulars were working, though, so I flagged down a fresh artiste for a makeup critique. She liked my look, had no suggestions, which was a first. We chatted eye shadows and such, and she explained about this swell program in which if you buy $50 of product you can get a free makeover and can watch the whole process in a mirror. (I know! I know!)

Seriously, there were maybe 30 customers at the MAC counter, and I felt like a giant (6 feet tall) but they were all focused on their purchases, no gawking, no nothing.

Now, my voice was in good form (for me) so I was actually chatty with the artiste. And, MAC artistes are trained to give everybody total respect, which is certainly my experience. So, while I could be completely wrong, I was getting no vibe whatsoever that I was being read. Maybe next time I'll ask "is my beard cover working OK?" and I'll know for sure. Hugs, Michelle

Marcelle
05-25-2014, 09:41 AM
Hi Michelle,

What a great story . . . sometimes blending is great thing. In the end if people read you . . . no big deal so long as they are polite and don't get in your face it is all good.

Hugs

Isha

Princess Grandpa
05-25-2014, 09:58 AM
Sounds like you had a great day! The Mac stores by us no longer offer a free makeover with purchase. :( They charge a fee for the service now.

Hug
Rita

Beverley Sims
05-25-2014, 11:47 AM
I agree the beard cover question would test the waters.

BLUE ORCHID
05-25-2014, 08:53 PM
Hi Michelle, It is best when you can blend in and not draw a lot of attention to yourself.

kimdl93
05-26-2014, 07:28 AM
What fun! I know you usually stand out in a crowd, so I bet it was fun to really blend in.

samanthasolo
05-26-2014, 11:25 AM
Michelle, I am finding your thread a little amusing You a MAC frequent flier, and a Glamour Girl dressing down to go to the mall. I too am a Glamour Girl and my dressing style definitely goes back to the era you refer. For me it was more Elizabeth Montgomery, Barbara Eden, Ginger, you get the picture. Well, what I am amused by is I know if I went to the mall or any public place in general all glam It would be because I would be looking to be read, but dressing down and going casual but a bit classy the last thing I care about is being read. Even more amusing to me was the first and only time I ever went to MAC was 2 months ago, In guy mode, and it was the first time I ever revealed my secret to a total stranger. I said I was looking to step up my makeup and perfect my beard cover routine. I showed her a photo of Sami, and surprisingly it was not a big deal. Funny because I would NEVER think that I would have ever done that. As necessity is the mother of invention I would be terrified to have my mother or anyone else.in my life other than.my wife to know anything about Sami.
Nice post GF!