PDA

View Full Version : crossdressing sketches

femaletrouble
05-25-2014, 12:42 PM
why is it i wonder that crossdressing is portrayed as a bit of a comical farce! comedians like kenny evertte an benny hill were always in sketches where he was the business man on one side and a sexy woman on the orther side,... also like in christmas panto mines there's always the man who plays the dame an oh course loves to play the carroator:D

Eryn
05-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Much of humor is setting the brain up to expect one thing and then giving it another. Men in women's clothing is certainly that. That was the hook behind this famous pantyhose commercial:

JbANHzJttog

To treat crossdressing in some way other than comedy would require that it be portrayed as either sexy or sinister. I don't think that the world is ready for a sexy CDer outside of perhaps the musical theater, and I really don't want to see another sinister CDing murderer on film

Beverley Sims
05-25-2014, 04:46 PM
Because people found it entertaining.

One of the reasons I first dressed at parties.

Because I was seriously introverted. :)

Abbygirl
05-25-2014, 07:05 PM
I think a good portion of society is not ready to face this concept in a serious way. It's much easier to laugh at it than it is to understand it.

Thank you Eryn for posting that link - I had forgotten about that ad. It's even better now than when it ran.

BLUE ORCHID
05-25-2014, 08:17 PM
Hi FT, It makes people laugh.

Pat
05-27-2014, 11:01 PM
If you think about it, you'll note that the men dressed as women in comedy sketches are clearly men dressed as women. That's why it's funny -- humor usually results when two parts of reality don't line up as expected. The humor can come from several different places: it can be that the men are acting out stereotypes of how women are perceived by men rather than how women actually are (pretty much anything by Monty Python.) It can be that the big, burly guy is acting as if he's a slender fashion model (i.e. he's out of touch with his physical reality.) It can be that the big, burly guy is being treated as if he's a slender fashion model (i.e. reality is out of touch with the audience.) There are lots of variations -- as many as there are expectations for how various bits of reality should line up.

There are also cases of women dressed as men who are obviously women who are dressed as men. Again, funny (e.g. "Mr. Prostitute" in Yellowbeard.)

If they had a man dressed as a woman who was completely passable, then it wouldn't be funny -- nobody would know.

docrobbysherry
05-27-2014, 11:17 PM
Why do u think they make comic zombie movies?

People LOVE to be scared and to laff at things that scare them! Ergo with CD's as Eryn said!

Kate Simmons
05-28-2014, 03:58 AM
Because they know it works. Uncle Miltie and Flip Wilson used it to the hilt.:)

KittyD
05-28-2014, 12:36 PM
Well for someone who enjoys both of these "Crossdressing & Comedy" I felt a bit sad that you named Benny Hill "Yawn" so old and not current in the world of Crossdressing if your going to put entertainment into the equation.
Lets look at some finer points of CD comedy or Drag. Danny la rue - Larry Grayson - John Inman - Hinge and bracket - Steve coogan "Pauline calf" - Dustin hoffman "Tootsie" - Paul o'grady "Lily savage" - Eddie izzard. Just a few... I think what it boils down to is.
A. What do you find funny.
I guess its all about what floats your boat even tho were all in the same one!
Naturally I like to rock it and see who really wants to swim :)
So if you do come across a CD whos a comedian then don't go all Benny Hill on them, give them some support. They could actually be trying to show CDs in a modern and good light...