PDA

View Full Version : Outta the closet...sorta

Saikotsu
05-28-2014, 02:07 AM
I apologize for this long update, but I really want to share the experience of my first true outing, so please bear with me :)

So I've been seeing a gender counselor to help me come to terms with my gender fluidity. Up till today, she's only seen me present as male, but today I stuffed some clothes and my forms in a backpack, and changed just prior to my appointment. The session went well, we talked about quite a lot, and we even discussed my idea of going to eat at a restaurant with my nails painted. As someone who is still very much in the closet, this was going to be a bit of a big step for me. Well, at the end of the appointment, my counselor stepped out of the room so I could change back because I'd expressed discomfort with appearing en femme in public. I slip out of my capris,take off my blouse and cardigan and I stuff them in my backpack. I then put on my cargo pants and stare at my shirt. You see, at that moment, I found myself really torn. I didn't want to remove my bra or forms, and yet I still wanted to go to the restaurant. It's a familiar dilemma I sometimes have in the morning when I get ready for work: do I continue to present as male, or do I finally take the step to go outside either somewhat or fully en femme? I ended up debating the issue for a good five minutes, before I finally decide to keep the bra and forms on, underneath my male clothing. So now I'm dressed as a guy, but I've got obvious breasts and my nails are painted. I step outside, and tell my counselor that I'm not sure if I'm going to eat at the restaurant or not, but I'll let her know at my next appointment. I hesitated a moment at the door, before stepping outside into the world with nothing to hide behind or under.

A quick drive later, and I'm actually sitting in the parking lot of the restaurant I have made a habit of visiting each time I have an appointment. Up until now, I've only gone outside fully dressed under the cover of late night or inclement weather. If I wear a bra and forms, it's always under a heavy coat that easily conceals them. But today, all I've got is a t-shirt. I must have sat there for a good twenty minutes, working up the courage, but in the end, I open my car door, and step outside. My heart had to be hammering at that point, because I was terrified someone would see me, or that I'd be accosted by a gang or something, (nevermind the fact that I can defend myself). I walk up to the side entrance of the restaurant, and upon seeing an employee sweeping, I keep walking. But after a deep breath, I worked up the courage and step inside. Of course, it was quite busy, there must have been at least four or five families seated, with a mother and her son standing in line waiting, their card giving them issues at the register. However, I kept pushing myself and strode right in, past all the seated diners, taking my spot in line. At this point, I'm struggling not to hyperventilate as the diners look up from their meals and stare at my chest. To make things worse, there's still issue at the register. Finally, the card goes through, and the lady and her son take a seat. So now it's my turn to order. I stammer out that I want two 8 piece sushi rolls, but manage to correct myself ( I was only wanting one 8 piece order, but my mind automatically started to try to figure out if it was cheaper to order two orders of 4. Turns out one of 8 is actually cheaper!). One of the employees smiles, and compliments me on my nails, asking me where I found the color I'm wearing (which really helped dissolve the tension). The lady that takes my order smiles as well, she only spares a quick glance at my chest but resumes taking my order as if nothing were different or unusual. I pay for my order and take a seat.

I manage to calm myself down, and my sushi order comes up. I covertly eat it, trying my best to hide my breasts and my colored nails as more people come in. I finish my initial order, but I want to let the staff know how much I appreciate their professional behavior, so I walk back up to the front, order another 4 pieces, and tell them. A different lady takes my order this time, and she too complimented me on my nails. However, something I had been dreading happens as I'm finishing the second order. Someone I know walks in. He walks over to my table, and says "I recognize you. You were at ----'s girlfriends birthday party. You bowled one hell of a game." So we start talking. I sheepishly ask him to not tell my other friends, and he gives me this confused look. "You don't want me to tell them where you eat dinner?" I smile and shake my head, "No, this," I tell him as I show off my nails. I then explain that "I lost a bet." I felt guilty lying about it, but I wasn't ready to admit to friends and friends of friends that I was coming out of the closet. You know what he said? He brushed it off. He just said, "oh that? I noticed, but meh." He really didn't care. We then make small talk and his to-go order arrives. Then we part ways.

But it doesn't end there. As I'm driving home, I decide that I might as well make the most of this newfound bravery, and I decide to see if I'm brave enough to shop for womens clothes with my forms in. I stop by a target that's relatively close to home/work, but still far enough that most people inside wouldn't know me. I didn't want a repeat of the restaurant (even though it is across town from me :\) I spent a really long time in the car, mustering up the courage to go inside, but eventually I do that too. As I cross the threshold into the store, I feel a sort of confidence I've never felt before when shopping for womens clothes. I proudly stride right into the womens section, pick out a few capris and go to the fitting rooms, whereupon I actually try them on before buying them for the first time ever. My forms actually empowered me, because I felt as if they gave me a "pass" to be in the womens department. Suddenly, I went from an outsider to someone who legitimately belonged there, just like a genetic woman. Granted, I know that not everyone will feel that way, but the important thing was I no longer felt ashamed or guilty. I was just shopping. I found a few pairs that fit well, and I paid for them. Then I went on my merry way as the store closed. (I nearly missed this opportunity taking my sweet time gathering my courage).
So yeah. A very amazing experience. I'm still in shock over it. :)
Still, as big a step as this was, I'm still very much closeted amongst my friends.

Jaclyn
05-28-2014, 02:20 AM
OMG that must of been great. I hope to some day have some of your courage. I would love for my wife and Jackie to go to to dinner sometime.

Catfishthepirate
05-28-2014, 02:24 AM
I so wish I had the courage to do that on my first outing. Loved the story.

Saikotsu
05-28-2014, 02:29 AM
@Jaclyn: Give it time. Let me be clear, this has been a LONG time in the making. Despite my courage, I was really shaking by the end of the restaurant. I was so nervous and terrified, and yet the people there were welcoming. I lucked out.

@Catfishthepirate: Thanks, it means a lot.

Charla McBee
05-28-2014, 02:30 AM
I sincerely believe that most of the fears we all have, powerful though they may be, are largely just in our heads. At any business establishment, a truly professional staff will never drive out a paying customer and will always greet them with kindness whatever their personal feelings. I do think most people really don't care enough to say anything to us but even those that do are also aware that having a big mouth could cost them their jobs. The acquaintance you ran into further supports the idea that most people really don't care, especially with something as subtle as nail polish.

There are of course terrible people out there but the average person will seek to avoid confrontation. Most will mind their own business and if they have to interact will treat you normally, the more open-minded might even express a bit of honest curiosity. What they actually think and what they might say once you are out of sight could be another thing entirely but being treated politely in public is a good start. I do think the world is slowly but surely headed towards tolerance and understanding but it will take a long time.

Anyway, thanks for posting. It's stories like yours that give me courage and inspiration as I fight my own inner-struggle towards self-acceptance and perhaps an ultimate escape from hiding this part of me in the shadows as I have all my life. I'm only out to two people very close to me and only one of them has ever seen me dress. That alone took about a decade for me to accomplish so getting out there is a really big obstacle still.

Hell on Heels
05-28-2014, 02:34 AM
Hell-o Saikotsu, What a day, was there a bravery pill included with your breakfast or what!
Much Love,
Kristyn

Saikotsu
05-28-2014, 02:55 AM
I sincerely believe that most of the fears we all have, powerful though they may be, are largely just in our heads. At any business establishment, a truly professional staff will never drive out a paying customer and will always greet them with kindness whatever their personal feelings. I do think most people really don't care enough to say anything to us but even those that do are also aware that having a big mouth could cost them their jobs. The acquaintance you ran into further supports the idea that most people really don't care, especially with something as subtle as nail polish.

There are of course terrible people out there but the average person will seek to avoid confrontation. Most will mind their own business and if they have to interact will treat you normally, the more open-minded might even express a bit of honest curiosity. What they actually think and what they might say once you are out of sight could be another thing entirely but being treated politely in public is a good start. I do think the world is slowly but surely headed towards tolerance and understanding but it will take a long time.

Anyway, thanks for posting. It's stories like yours that give me courage and inspiration as I fight my own inner-struggle towards self-acceptance and perhaps an ultimate escape from hiding this part of me in the shadows as I have all my life. I'm only out to two people very close to me and only one of them has ever seen me dress. That alone took about a decade for me to accomplish so getting out there is a really big obstacle still.
I'm happy my story could inspire you. I'm still trying to figure things out (thus the counselor), but today was a major day for me. At one point as I sat in the car, I realized, that if I went through with this, all the previous struggles and fears would be like nothing. Suddenly, all those fears I had in my head, they pale in comparison because I've faced far worse, and survived. I ate at a restaurant while wearing my breasts. Someone recognized me. The world didn't end. However, I couldn't have done it without the love and support of those I've come out to. I'm only out to four people. Four. One of them recently took me shopping with her, so I could have a "beard".

@Hell-on-heels: Hell-o yourself. Honestly, I don't know what drove me to do this. Maybe it was just time.

Katey888
05-28-2014, 04:02 AM
Great story Saikotsu - thanks for recounting it here.. :)

I guess if something helps with making you feel empowered that's a big positive - really glad that your first steps were so good for you... You've shown great courage and clearly you needed to do this... Well done! :cheer:

Katey x

mariehart
05-28-2014, 07:08 AM
Well done, you're braver than me. I'd have run out in a panic. However I did have a similar moment not too long ago. On a whim one rainy morning I dressed up in a dress, boots, raincoat and umbrella. No make up or wig. I hopped into the car and began to drive nervously to a nearby beach where people often walk. I was shaking and suddenly I realised I had brought no back up male clothes. I almost panicked then I though why am I worrying. What if someone sees me? What if I'm stopped at a police checkpoint. What does it matter what people think? So I calmed down and drove to the beach, took my umbrella and strolled up and down the promenade. As it happens no one saw me. But I didn't care anyway.

I've done it again but never had the nerve to do it in public. Hopefully soon. But really it's true, why do we worry so much about it? It's not as if we'll be arrested and appear on the six o'clock news under the headling: 'Man caught wearing women's clothes'

Why do we worry so much!

Beverley Sims
05-28-2014, 11:27 AM
The first time I did it I felt I had reached the point of no return and just kept on going.
I think it was the biggest adrenalin rush of my life.

Linda Leigh
05-28-2014, 11:37 AM
W2G I am assuming you had "Lucky Charms cereal" for breakfast J/K. Well done on your adventure, as most on here have said you only have yourself to fear ! Congrats to you :)

Linda Leigh

Dana M
05-28-2014, 11:47 AM
Saikotsu,

Good for you. I'm glad you found the courage.

Saikotsu
05-28-2014, 12:25 PM
Well done, you're braver than me. I'd have run out in a panic. However I did have a similar moment not too long ago. On a whim one rainy morning I dressed up in a dress, boots, raincoat and umbrella. No make up or wig. I hopped into the car and began to drive nervously to a nearby beach where people often walk. I was shaking and suddenly I realised I had brought no back up male clothes. I almost panicked then I though why am I worrying. What if someone sees me? What if I'm stopped at a police checkpoint. What does it matter what people think? So I calmed down and drove to the beach, took my umbrella and strolled up and down the promenade. As it happens no one saw me. But I didn't care anyway.

I've done it again but never had the nerve to do it in public. Hopefully soon. But really it's true, why do we worry so much about it? It's not as if we'll be arrested and appear on the six o'clock news under the headling: 'Man caught wearing women's clothes'

Why do we worry so much!
I think its because humans are naturally herd animals, we care very deeply about what other people think of us. We get so worried of being ostracised or marginalized that we blow things out of proportion. But when you really think about it, its just clothes. What I wear has absolutely no significance in the grand scheme of things. So what should it matter that I wear clothes designed for women?

@Beverley Sims: yeah, I had that feeling too as I walked into the restaurant. Once I hit that point of no return, I decided to own it. I thought to myself, If I'm going to appear befoe people while presenting as female, I'm going to do it with pride rather than shame. I think they picked up on that too.

@Katey, Linda, and Dana: thank you!

Lizzy66
05-28-2014, 03:11 PM
Saikatsu,

Way to go, very happy for you. Not that long ago I started to under dress at work every day. I do not think anybody has noticed, and if they have they have not said anything.

BLUE ORCHID
05-29-2014, 07:13 AM
Hi Sailotsu, It sounds like the Pink Fog was a real driving force.

Saikotsu
05-29-2014, 09:42 AM
@Lizzy66: Thank you. And congratulations yourself. I've been wearing panties to work almost exclusively for a few months now. It feels great huh?

@Blue Orchid: perhaps. I'm still trying to figure out what the pink fog actually is. It seems to be subjective.