PDA

View Full Version : Opening the door a little more

mechamoose
06-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Well, most of the time I do the 'stealth' girl clothes thing. While I try and be 'pretty', it is something that could be written off as "fruity". I wear girl pants, undies, socks, some tops, some makeup, painted nails, jewelry.. every day. Those things are kind of hidden to someone who can't figure out the difference.

At home, I'm in skirts & camis. My son accepts it, my wife likes it. When we have guests, friends or family, I tended to drop back into that 'stealthy' mode.

There last few months, I changed that. I wore a skirt in front of my Mom for the first time just a few months ago. The same when I have had friends over for games or crafting. I did it for a recent family gathering we held at our house.

I got some strange looks at first from my gaming friends, but nothing too bad. The other day I had my crafting friend over and I asked him if the way I was dressing was freaking him out.. he said "No, not freaked out... but I certainly like what you are wearing today more than that brown thing (denim skirt) you were wearing last time!"

The world didn't end. Life is good.

- MM

Alice B
06-05-2014, 06:25 PM
With total acceptance from your wife and son your life is good and what others think becomes far less important. See,s as if your friends are totally OK with your dressing.

kimdl93
06-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Loved that response. ...better than that brown thing...

Princess Grandpa
06-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing it. It takes a lot of courage to just be yourself. Hats off to your wife and son. It takes a lot of courage to love us for ourselves too.

Hug
Rita

docrobbysherry
06-06-2014, 12:26 AM
You're quite lucky, Moose. The best I can do is "don't ask don't tell" with my teen daughter.

And, I must be very careful so that she doesn't ever see Sherry!

Beverley Sims
06-06-2014, 02:53 AM
Yes,
Just push the envelope gently.

Teresa
06-06-2014, 04:54 AM
Hi MM what was your friend's objection to the brown denim skirt ? will you bin it now or get it altered to suit him ? Is he critical of his wife's clothes?
Maybe string it up the flagpole with the stars and stripes ! That's an interesting way of coming out !

Wildaboutheels
06-06-2014, 06:57 AM
But, but, but...

Maybe the brown denim thing didn't match your shoes? You made no mention of shoes. Maybe he is one of those folks who thinks shoes must match what's on the bottom?

Also sounds like you have managed to pick some "reasonable" friends who can see the "big picture".

Good job!

CarlaWestin
06-06-2014, 07:35 AM
Maybe it really wasn't the brown skirt. It was actually the Carmen Miranda fruit hat and he was just being polite. That's wonderful that you have an envelope to push. I've tried wearing a denim skirt around the house but wife won't have anything to do with it. At least for now.

mechamoose
06-06-2014, 08:40 AM
It was a below the knee chocolate brown a - line skirt. I had on black strappy sandals and a pea green cami.

(Funny how I remember that! )

I'm not offended by the comment, it means he was paying attention!

-MM

Katey888
06-06-2014, 09:24 AM
MM - at least you have one friend who is not only prepared to accept the way you are, but also prepared to offer fashion advice... :) (I wonder....?? naaw, would be too much of a coinidence....? ;))

Good for you on flexing the boundaries and envelope gently... Doing that is akin - in my baking mind - to stretching filo pastry... you want it as thin as you can get it but tearing the envelope, well, that's normally catastrophe for baklava... :eek: honey and raisins everywhere... :)

The brown thing sounds like it should be gifted somewhere...

Thanks for sharing :)

Katey x

Marcelle
06-07-2014, 08:41 AM
Hi MM,

Glad to hear things went well and the world did not end.

Hugs

Isha