PDA

View Full Version : Who knew this would be controversial

vetobob9
06-06-2014, 01:33 PM
It was announced on Facebook recently that at next years Independence Day Festival in Whittier California, all transgender people would be admitted for free.

I did not think this would raise any controversy. But now there are people who are demanding that transgender people be banned from the event. Others are claiming discrimination against non trans people.

The event itself is being hosted by a local transgender group with the purpose of providing some benefit to transgender members of the local community who are often overlooked when the community plans its other events. Some of the people opposed are trying pit veterans against transgenders, apparently not realizing that many transgenders are veterans.

What is your opinion.

kimdl93
06-06-2014, 02:31 PM
The problem is of course, that no matter what the topic is, someone feels they have the right to restrict the rights of others, based on their particular system of beliefs. I grow so weary of the 24/7 opinion cycle that feeds on these sorts of "controversies".

SassySal
06-08-2014, 07:34 PM
How would you feel if this celebration was being hosted by illegal aliens, and only illegals would be admitted for free? Everybody else would get the "privilege" of paying full fare.

Or...what if it were hosted by black folks and only black folk were admitted.

KellyJameson
06-08-2014, 08:44 PM
In my opinion it harms those that identify as transgender.

Independence Day should not become a platform that benefits one group over another because it is a divisive act.

Their intentions may be good but they are misplaced because by promoting inclusion in this manner they are creating resentment of those needing this inclusion.

In my opinion it would be wise for the transgender community to tell Whittier "thanks but no thanks"

NavyM2F_WAM
06-09-2014, 01:09 AM
Well, I'm in the Navy (12 years now), and I'm a crossdresser (transgender? still getting the hang of all the lingo). It would be great if the services could be "friendlier" to us types.

Aimee20
06-09-2014, 05:41 AM
Free admittance to any event should really be limited to everyone or children only. To me personally I would skip that event because I would not want to prove my transness at the gate to get free admission as well as it feeling somewhat demeaning towards the trans community. Is this a pride event or something along those lines, should there be a reason for the free entry for a certain group?

Aprilrain
06-09-2014, 06:55 AM
Not a lot of critical thinkers on that event comity, are there?

Anyone can say they are trans, who's to argue?

How will they prove transness, a five-o-clock shadow and a bad wig?

gonegirl
06-09-2014, 07:51 AM
Yes, April. I believe those will allow someone free entry. I haven't consulted "the handbook", but I'm pretty sure that blue eyeshadow and a cheerleader uniform would compete the ensemble and remove any doubt.

vetobob9
06-09-2014, 08:09 AM
Not a lot of critical thinkers on that event comity, are there?

Anyone can say they are trans, who's to argue?

How will they prove transness, a five-o-clock shadow and a bad wig?

This is a good point.