PDA

View Full Version : where to start ?

jessica2009
06-07-2014, 11:38 PM
OK so I've been doing a lot of research and I haven't really wrapped my head around all of the info yet. I'm trying to find a therapist in my area ( Toronto ) that will at some point be able to provide hrt.(mtf) I am not rich by any means. I have some coverage from insurance but unsure what kind of doctor I need to start my " adventure " as i dont want to waste too much time. any first time help would be great. Also don't want to go thru camh or any govt places like that. Hope to hear soon. Thanks.

VanTG
06-08-2014, 01:23 AM
Well you found one of the best places to start. My suggestion is a simple google search and begin sending off emails and asking questions.

I Am Paula
06-08-2014, 07:25 AM
When you find a therapist, he/she may know a Dr. with trans experience. You will need a referral from you GP to see them. You will probably want an endocrinologist, but an OB/GYN is a good choice, and, in a pinch, you GP can prescribe. In a city the size of Hamilton, and or Toronto there are lots, without resorting to training your GP. Try the forum on wildside.org as it's all Toronto girls. 35 minutes N. of Hamilton, in Guelph is my endo. He is the GO TO guy in a huge radius, and has at any given time, about 70 trans patients. If you strike out elsewhere, try to get a referral to him. All the girls love him cause he knows every step of the process, not just the chemical. PM me if you want his name. LBGT resource centers will know therapists.
While I understand your reluctance to go to CAMH, they have COMPLETELY revamped their policies. You no longer have to use their therapists and Drs. just fill out the forms on line, and have your Dr. sign off as you go, and in about a half million years you will get SRS courtesy of the tax payer (you). It's still slow, but the hoops you jump thru have been made much easier. Most endos know the protocol for getting on CAMH waiting list.
Ontario is about the best place I have ever heard of for transitioning. From the medical, to the legal, steps have been set up all the way to help trans people. There is a whole Govmt. website devoted to changing ID. After my name change, it took me less than half an hour to have all new female ID.
Good luck. The rest of the world should look at Ontario to see how it's done.

I have just been through this start to finish, just north of you. Feel free to PM me.