PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever been to Glamour Shots?

Rhonda Jean
06-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Prevalent at malls in the 80's, maybe before, maybe after. I haven't noticed one in a long time. Seemed like every girl went at least once back when they were popular. My wife went, and I hinted and hinted that I'd like to go (this was back when she was accepting), but she never gave me the OK. So, I did what most hard-driven crossdressers would do. I did it behind her back!

I came in with very little makeup on and my hair straightened with a round brush. Part of the deal was the "glamour" makeup and hair. I typically wore a lot of makeup, but they caked the makeup on heavier than I ever did. I loved the way they did my eyes! They hot rolled and teased my hair, so I definitely had the big hair goin'. For the poses, you could pick from different tops and accessories they had or bring your own. You didn't completely change, because the photos were only of your head and torso.

This was the only pro photo shoot I ever had. The poses, the way they had me tilt my head and twist by body and hold my hands, seemed very strange, but in the photos it actually looked good. I think the sitting fee was only $20, but as I recall the least expensive package was $100. I went back after a week or two to look at the proofs. I wanted those pictures so bad, but $100 was a lot of money to us back then. I wasn't going to buy anything and was ready to leave when they offered to sell me a proof. I don't remember what I paid. Not very much. I had to hide it, but I'd occasionally take it out and look at it. I don't have it now, and I don't know for sure what happened to it. I think I got rid of it during one of our moves. Either that or the ex has it.

I spent a while shopping throughout the mall after the photo shoot. I wanted to be seen with that makeup and hair as much as possible! Then I had to get home and get the makeup off before my wife got home.

Anybody else had a Glamour Shots?

Beverley Sims
06-10-2014, 12:43 PM
Not from Glamour Shots, but others do it and I have been to a couple to see how they handle their business.

Richelle
06-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Rhonda,

Yes, I went to Glamour Shots back in the late 80's when they had a location at the Westminster Mall. I had lots fun.

Richelle

aprilgirl
06-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Taking me back a long, long time ago there Rhonda Jean. I can't tell you the number of times I walked by one of their studios with green eyed envy and the lack of nerve to inquire about whether they were cool working with cross dressers. Eventually I did call one for an appointment and the receptionist over the phone couldn't have been nicer. Once a time was set she did go as far as asking " so, you will be coming in, won't you'? I didn't and its probably a safe bet I wasn't the first dresser that backed out. I just wasn't mentally prepared to do so at the time, where now I wouldn't think twice. Kim

Jaylyn
06-10-2014, 04:31 PM
How can any body forget that place. I raised three daughters during the 80s and every one of them had to have their photo done there for the high school annual... I have a lot of money invested with them.... Lol probably why my wife and I would never be able to go..... Even if I would...

Sara Jessica
06-10-2014, 09:01 PM
Technically not a glamour shot but the same difference nonetheless.

Several years ago, before my becoming a "real-hair" convert, Macy's had this thing going where you'd spend $75 or so at your fav makeup counter and they would do a glamour photo shoot after your makeover. This included a hair session. This was at Beverly Center in Los Angeles and that was where I had a go-to Clinique artist. Once my makeup was done, I went over to hair where I doubt they had seen many wigs. After some primping and teasing, I was ready for my photo-shoot. The photographer was charming and to my surprise, his studio was literally within a couple miles from where I work.

A few weeks later after work one evening, I slipped into casual girl-mode and went to see the proofs. Irresistible to say the least. I ended up coughing up nearly a couple hundred IIRC to buy the package and they remain safely hidden away, only coming out here and there to show someone or to revisit a memory.

I'm glad I did it then, I'd love to do the exact same thing with my own natural hair.