PDA

View Full Version : Wife asked me a make up question

Glenda58
06-11-2014, 07:21 PM
Today after dressing for the night I was taking off my makeup :sad: I remembered the wife asked how to get makeup off the granddaughter. She went to a dress up party for little girls 7 to 8 and then came to our house for a sleep over. At bed time my wife try to wash off the makeup and couldn't get it off. She came to me and asked how to get it her face and eyes. When I told her to use and it work she came back and just looked me. My wife doesn't wear makeup ever so she wouldn't know how to take it off.

Tammy Lynn Tx
06-11-2014, 07:48 PM
Glenda, i use baby wipes and it works for me but I don't use heavy makeup (just minimal) with a little mascara

BLUE ORCHID
06-11-2014, 08:28 PM
Hi Glenda, Been there and done that, My wife is a DA/DT but once in a while she will
ask me something that I probably shouldn't have a good answer.

Tracii G
06-11-2014, 08:34 PM
Cold cream works great for me.
Put some on your hands and work it in well.Take a damp wash rag and wipe it off.
Eyeliner and mascara is no problem to get off after that with soap and water.

NavyM2F_WAM
06-11-2014, 09:31 PM
A woman that doesn't wear makeup, ever? :eek:

Erica Marie
06-11-2014, 10:22 PM
For me I use make up removal wipes, followed up by washing my face with cold cream then regular face soap. For the most part the wipes do a great job.
Its pretty awesome though that your wife is open enough to ask for your advice.

Beverley Sims
06-12-2014, 12:08 AM
One of the more pleasant facets of our lives.

I often give feminine type advice.

I feel good after the episode.

Eryn
06-12-2014, 12:18 AM

Not terribly unusual. I'll bet that half of GGs wear only lipstick.

As a CDer I started out with industrial strength foundation. As electrolysis progresses I use less and less. I'm pretty close to the goal of going out and with just lipstick.

Michelle (Oz)
06-12-2014, 07:55 AM
As electrolysis progresses I use less and less. I'm pretty close to the goal of going out and with just lipstick.

You've worked hard for that Eryn but I do envy you not having to shave. Certainly the bane of my active dressing life.

Reminds me of a discussion some months ago about the difficulty of applying eye liner. You said that you do thinner eye liner for day time and thicker for going out at night. Every time I do my eyes I have a good laugh ... my eyes just don't know what time of day it is and often one eye is ready for day time and the other night time :heehee:

Glenda58
06-12-2014, 01:10 PM
I had all the things she needed and knew how to do it. I wear more makeup than she does and more often.

Eryn
06-12-2014, 10:46 PM
Reminds me of a discussion some months ago about the difficulty of applying eye liner. You said that you do thinner eye liner for day time and thicker for going out at night. Every time I do my eyes I have a good laugh ... my eyes just don't know what time of day it is and often one eye is ready for day time and the other night time :heehee:

I feel your pain! Makeup skills are rather foreign to those of us with a Y-chromosome. When I started I tried liquid eyeliner and it was a disaster. Manipulating that little brush holding my eyelid half-closed, and coordinating all the little motions was impossible and I ended up with eyeliner everywhere.

I switched to a retractable eyeliner crayon. Much easier to control. Only problem is that the liner only lasted a few minutes before my hooded eyelid smudged it off. Not good.

So, back to the liquid. After all, GGs do this every day, right?

The first thing I did was make eyelining the first step in applying makeup, so I could clean up mistakes without screwing up other makeup items. I still screwed up quite a bit, but I finally got the hang of drawing some semblance of a line across my upper lid. It was a bit thick, but it was there and didn't look bad. Of course, I promptly screwed up the other eye, but that was fixable.

Weeks later, I had the milestone of actually doing both eyes correctly! I smiled, looked up, and promptly smeared my work. Darn. Clean it off, try again, perfect again, and this time I'd be darned if I was going to open my eyes before the liner was dry!

I got to the point where the kinesthetic memory of applying liner correctly was well established and I could do a good job almost every time. It was then that I could start playing with the nuances of getting a thick or thin line.

I don't think that my learning curve was different from that of a GG. The only difference is that I learned the technique in my 50s, not my teens. Once I learned how to do it it became less frustrating and more fun. I can actually play with my look, at least in my own mind. I have no idea if the different looks I produce are actually perceived differently by others or if they see my fiftysomething face and say "why does she bother?"

No matter, I'm enjoying myself! :)

ReineD
06-12-2014, 11:19 PM
When I started I tried liquid eyeliner and it was a disaster.

Me too! And I never was able to master it. I tried it a few times as a young woman, then gave up. It wasn't any easier in my 40s. And you should have seen the mess when I tried false eyelashes! :p

I've given up on eye liner altogether, even the retractable crayon type. I just can't seem to get a smooth line. So instead I concentrate on mascara.

We don't go out to clubs much any more, but my SO and I did go regularly at the beginning of our relationship when she was beginning to go out. This called for more elaborate eye makeup than I had ever worn, and like you, it was nearly impossible to get both sides to match! lol And it took forever.

So in the last few years I've adopted a very natural look when I do put on makeup which is not often. Foundation to even out the skin, a bit of blush, darkening my eyebrows a bit, and mascara. And maybe on special occasions, a little neutral mid-tone eye shadow on the outside corners of my eye (barely perceptible), for a bit of a lift.

A lot of my friends and also my son's female friends don't wear makeup. Or if they do, it's not much and just to go someplace special. Two of my sons each dated real girly-girls for awhile and both these girls would not be caught dead in public without makeup. But they weren't the norm.