PDA

View Full Version : Shopping with those who don't know

samantha rogers
06-14-2014, 09:42 AM
My cousin and his wife are visiting from Australia and my daughter and wife and I are in Chicago with them today staying in a nice hotel right downtown. Our guests want to shop the stores today. Only my wife knows about me. All these amazing stores! I am going to have such a hard time pretending indifference. Sigh....
:heehee:

Marcelle
06-14-2014, 09:52 AM
Hi Sammie . . . so how are planning to contain yourself? I guess you will have to put those acting skills to the task :)

Good luck and at least enjoy the day internally.

Hugs

Isha

Andy66
06-14-2014, 10:14 AM
Sounds like fun. Maybe you can mail order something you saw later, or the Missus can pick it up for you.

Nadine Spirit
06-14-2014, 10:16 AM
Personally in those situations I become everyone else's personal shopper. I constantly pick out things for them to try on and live vicariously through them, sure I get a few odd looks from the fellas, but that is normal anyway for me.

Roxie
06-14-2014, 10:17 AM
You can always window shop and go back to take a closer look.Been in your spot many times Id always prefer Roxie shopping over any other.

samantha rogers
06-14-2014, 10:21 AM
LOL, Nadine......I do the same thing... i used to do it for my wife for years before I ever told her...(still laughing)...when we finally had "the talk", after awhile, after things calmed down, at one point she finally put two and two together, the lightbulb went off, and she broke out laughing. She still runs her choices past me and asks for advice. :heehee:

At least she knows what I will be suffering through today...:daydreaming::doh::heehee:

bridget thronton
06-14-2014, 11:38 AM
I had a similar experience - when visiting friends in Oz shopping was tricky for me (but I did manage to buy a dress, skirt, blouse, and a few necklaces to remember the trip)

Angie G
06-14-2014, 11:43 AM
BEEN there I just ask my wife if she likes this or that. She knows if I ask I want it and act like it's for herself and get it. :hugs:
Angie

Paula Siemen
06-14-2014, 11:50 AM
Maybe some nice jewelry or lingerie......."for your wife......or samantha's friends"?

Have fun and do buy something for Samantha.

Chloe75
06-14-2014, 12:04 PM
It is soo fun to go shopping with people who don't know. They are often amazed how I am able to pick out such great clothes or guide them to a good look. Its always fun to shop. :) Let us know how it goes, Samantha!!

Beverley Sims
06-14-2014, 03:19 PM
Be like me, show your artistic talents fashion wise.

As a photographer I worked with fashion qute often and I knew what was trendy and what went with what.

I could amaze my friends and win a girlfriend or two into the bargain. :)

samantha rogers
06-14-2014, 04:17 PM
Oh, God, we are in Guess! I love Guess!....This is awful!
Give me strength, girls...lol.

Marcelle
06-14-2014, 04:22 PM
Deep breaths sweetie . . . deep breaths.

Hugs

Isha

ArleneRaquel
06-14-2014, 04:23 PM
Welcome to te city darlin !

Dana does shopping
06-14-2014, 05:35 PM
At least you don't have to worry about 'losing' anything on this shopping trip .....

Suzanne F
06-14-2014, 06:19 PM
Funny Samantha! Get yourself something nice!
Suzanne

Farrah
06-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Just try to contain yourself. Look irritated that they're taking too long. It will probably be easy to look irritated, because you can't shop like you would like to. ;)

Julie Denier
06-14-2014, 07:08 PM
Hope you're holding up OK in our fine city. I was in downtown Chicago for most of this past week; my wife and daughter shopped while I worked a trade show, in my suit and tie amid plenty of women in skirts or dresses and heels ... *sigh* ;)

BLUE ORCHID
06-14-2014, 07:22 PM
Hi Samantha, Wear dark glasses so they will not be able to see what you are looking at.

samantha rogers
06-14-2014, 07:28 PM
I had to wear dark glasses, but it was so they would not see me crying...lol

RenneB
06-14-2014, 07:30 PM
Breathe deep Sam and take good notes for the next time you are there. Also, downtown is a great place to see what other girls are wearing. The weekend dress code is much different than the work week, but still a lot to look at.

Since I haven't bought retail for sometime now, I'd just look at the tags and roll my eyes.....

Renne......

Sarah21
06-14-2014, 07:38 PM
On the bright side Sammie, at least you didn't ruin your mascara if you were crying :-).

Teresa Monsivais
06-14-2014, 11:26 PM
Well I hope you enjoyed our city, the Magnificent Mile is a great place to shop... Lots of stores, how long are you in town?

samantha rogers
06-14-2014, 11:48 PM
I survived.
It was a very long day. Sigh. At least the circumstances prevented me from squandering the mortgage...lol.
Thanks for the good wishes everyone.
I simply must come back here along, though...sigh. :-)

Wiccle
06-21-2014, 03:50 AM
This is the first thread I've found abt out shopping. Just to say I was in a girly shop today + finding some pink leggings went towards changing room to try them on..2 staff near there - as entered 1 aaid I can't go in there. Didn't ask why. I guessed why...because I wasn't en femme. Winder if it woukd have worked if I was. Still bought them - only wasted £4 if they don't fit. Wonder if it would have worked if the staf weren't there.

Davina/Wiccle

Teresa
06-21-2014, 04:06 AM
Samantha I haven't had that experience with relatives but before I came out to my wife I would be like a dog looking for a bone around the racks ! All I would hear was , " I'm looking for..." and I'd be gone ! It was quite funny most of the husbands were standing nervously at the entrance waiting ! Occasionally I was so busy looking I didn't realise my wife had left the department ! I found her once trying out a new sofa and I stood there with a blouse saying, " Is this what you're looking for ?"
Since I came out she hasn't dared to let me loose shopping !

STACY B
06-21-2014, 04:39 AM
Dig in with the rest !! They will just think you are really helpful ,,lol,,,

Judith96a
06-21-2014, 04:47 AM
My cousin and his wife are visiting from Australia and my daughter and wife and I are in Chicago with them today staying in a nice hotel right downtown. Our guests want to shop the stores today. Only my wife knows about me. All these amazing stores! I am going to have such a hard time pretending indifference. Sigh....
:heehee:

I feel your pain! This is what I have to do ALL of the time.

BEEN there I just ask my wife if she likes this or that. She knows if I ask I want it and act like it's for herself and get it. :hugs:
Angie

Now THAT is a plan! Good thinking Angie!

cdrachael
06-21-2014, 07:03 AM
I just act uninterested when people are around, but reality is my girlfriends love my opinion. Judith aussie's are pretty open minded. If all else fails just say the English are more exposed to fashion. hehe