PDA

View Full Version : bridal gown purchase (long)

KimW
01-16-2006, 11:16 PM
Hi All;
I just found the site and thought I'd share an experience I had last Friday. I'm 54 and have been crossdressing since high school. I don't go out fully dressed but I do go out wearing women's jeans, a unisex sort of blouse and light makeup. Over the last ten years or so I've gotten pretty comfortable shopping for myself and sharing with the salesperson that whatever I'm buying (lingerie, makeup, outwear) is for myself. I've tried on clothes and lingerie in many stores and had makeovers in MAC and other departments. However I would never pass believe me :-).

The one thing that I've always wanted to do until this last weekend was go through the experience of buying a wedding gown. I finally decided to go for it and called a David's Bridal Salon and told them I would like to buy a dress for myself and asked if anyone would be comfortable helping me. They couldn't have been nicer on the phone and said they would love for me to come in and they would be happy to help. I made an appointment and thought about cancelling it but they were so nice I decided to go in and thought I would at least look even if I didn't try anything on. When I got to the store there were three or four girls trying on gowns. I checked in for my appointment and they told me my bridal consultant would be with me in just a few mins and to go ahead and browse around. When the bridal consultant came over and introduced herself she was so sweet! She apologized for being late and asked me a few questions abut what I wanted. I told her I'd be happy to come back so I wouldn't cause any problems with any of their other clients but she wouldn't hear of it and said I was going to be just like any other bride they helped! So she took my measurments and started pulling dresses for me to try on. She had another sales girl helping her and they were both making lots of nice suggestions while we picked gowns. She asked if I wanted all the undergarments as well and I said yes so they pulled a slip and long line bra for me to try on with the dresses as well. Then she took me and two of the dresses back to a fitting room (past two of the other brides trying on dresses) and told me the bra went on first then the slip would come up very high on bra to make a nice smooth line. If I had any problems getting the bra or slip on I was to call her and she would be happy to help me. I was able to get both on by myself (think of the slip as almost like a petticoat, lots of layers to help the full bridal gown fill out. Then she came back and we started trying on the dresses, basically she would gather the gown and hold it over my head while I slipped into it, once I was in she would zip up the back for me. As I was trying on the gowns two other sales girls would come back to see how they looked and everyone was so nice, they were telling me how pretty I looked and would pull out the train on the gown so I could see the full dress in all the mirrors. I tried on 5 or 6 dresses and each time my consultnt would help me into and out of the gown. When we all finally agreed on the right dress they brought over shoes for me to try, then a bridal vail, then necklaces, and last but not least gloves. I was standing out of the dressing room and again usually had three to four sales girls giving advice, all of them treating me like I was any of the GG customers! It was truly a dream come true, I ended up purchasing a beautiful gown with a beautiful train, gloves, shoes, slip, and bra. I've been thinking about the necklace and will probably go back to buy it tomorrow. I wearing the everything as I type this and will never forget the wonderful experience of buying this gown.

My point in all this is to tell you that if you want to do anything, buy lingerie, get a makeover, or try on wedding gowns there are wonderful people out there who will make the experience a positive one. Please be sure to live your dream and while we all know there are people who aren't tolerant of our dressing, there are just as many who are.

Have fun,
Kim

emmicd
01-16-2006, 11:44 PM
There were a few threads posted on this site posing the question as to whether males dressed as bridesmaids in wedding functions. Also a few on bridal gowns as well.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like it was pleasurable and memorable.

Sounds like the girls were very sweet too.

I'd like to try on a little black dress if I could summon the nerve.

I also never admit that the womens clothes I buy are for me.

Congratulations on finding your gown.

emmi

Jesse69
01-16-2006, 11:57 PM
Can you show us a pic of the gown you got. And one with you in it? How much deid it cost - the gown and all the service?

Thanks for posting - I was always wondering about Davids Bridal.

Holly
01-17-2006, 12:23 AM
Hi Kim and welcome to the forum. That's quite a beginning post! It sounds like you had a wonderful experience. My daughter is getting maried in about a year. I may have to check out David's Bridal myself. Thanks for sharing your story.

Me_Being_Me
01-17-2006, 12:49 AM
I want to go shopping for a prom dress and all the stuff that comes with it(something I've always wanted to do) around prom time this year. I hope that I get the same treatment and service that you got wherever I go.

TGMarla
01-17-2006, 01:16 AM
Pictures, dear! I mean, please! So what if you don't pass....none of us do here. Read on! You'll find out. Not one of us thinks we pass well. So break out the camera. Sounds like you had a wonderful experience. So share it, sister!

Sophia Rearen
01-17-2006, 08:36 AM
Hi Kim,
Welcome to the forum. That's a wonderful story. You did everything right. Calling ahead, offering to come back later. Very smart. You certainly are one gutsy girl. I like that. Gutsy enough to share some pics with us?

ChristineRenee
01-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Sounds like you had a wonderful experience Kim getting the gown that you wanted. Terrific feel good story there...thanks for sharing it with us and welcome to the forum!:)

KimW
01-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Thanks for all the sweet welcomes and the request for pictures! I'll have to work on them late this week or early next week. The gown was originally $599 but I ended up getting it on sale for.......$299! I looked at a lot of gowns and they seemed to range from around $199 to $850. They might have more expensive ones that I didn't see but I'd certainly recommend checking them out for both selection and price :-)

Have fun and thanks again for the welcome.

Kim

Michelle2008
01-30-2006, 01:23 AM
You inspired me to do the same Kim. I have my own appt. at my local David's Bridal in about a week. I am so excited! I hope I get treated just like you did. Wow....Thanks again!

Michelle:bs:

tara 24-7
01-30-2006, 03:19 AM
go girls go, and bust out the camera one of these days, i love these up beat threads, makes a nice change from the hum drum,

kisses tara xxxx

christinetcd
01-30-2006, 08:31 PM
Hi Kim,it does sound like you had a wonderful time.Good for you girl!!!

Aloha_Dana
01-30-2006, 08:46 PM
Kim,

This is simply awesome! It sounds like you had a great time. David's Bridal sounds like a classy place.

So have you chosen our bride's maids outfits yet???

brookegg
01-30-2006, 10:53 PM
Wow. I'm so excited to hear that you got treated so well. I remember when me and my Stephaine (stephaine2005) went to Victoria's Secret to find her a nightie they were a little thrown off but as nice as they could be they told us that she could try it on as long as there weren't any other ladies in the dressing area. (She was also in her normal male attire.) But they said it wasn't a problem. So, girls no matter what you look like weither you think you pass or not. Don't hesitate to reach for the stars and or go out on a limb cause if one place doesn't like it. I promise there will be another one out there. And if you don't really feel comfortable to walking in. Look up the number and call and ask how they feel about male clients in their stores exc... Good luck to you all and I hope all of you get the respect you deserve as ladies. Sincerely, Brookegg

Staci
01-31-2006, 10:28 PM
Enjoy your experiences. The bridal gown is a very exciting item as hopefully a girl only wears them once. A very personal item. It also sounds like your experience could not have been better. Congratulations.