PDA

View Full Version : Crossdressing in Movies

KateW
01-16-2006, 11:20 PM
Hi girls,

There are loads of movies about that feature men in situations where they have to crossdress, or are transsexuals / crossdressers by choice. I was wondering if you could share your favourites, and in turn, let others know of some that they may have missed!

To get things started, here are my top 10 films featuring crossdressers (but not necessarily with crossdressing as the main theme).

1. Kinky Boots
2. Tootsie
3. The Rocky Horror Show
4. Billy Elliot
5. Mrs Doubtfire
6. Some Like It Hot
7. The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
8. Sorority Boys
9. Boat Trip
10. To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar

Here are some additional films:

TransAmerica, Breakfast On Pluto, The Bird Cage, the Producers, White Chicks, Nuns On The Run, Big Momma's House 1 & 2, Juwanna Mann, Mixed Nuts, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, The Crying Game, Junior, Tango and Cash, Silence of the Lambs,The Dress Code, The Hot Chick, Anger Management, Willow, Police Academy, Mr Nanny, and Ernest Goes To Jail. (Phew!)

Hugs,

Kate xxx

cyle_elise
01-16-2006, 11:27 PM
what was that horrible movie with the two brothers from in living color?

KateW
01-16-2006, 11:35 PM
I believe that was White Chicks, and I agree... it was horrible!

ReginaK
01-16-2006, 11:39 PM
I guess you can count "Girls Will be Girls", but that was really drag queens playing GGs. Crossdressing wasn't really an element of the movie.

mmandy31
01-16-2006, 11:47 PM
the best movie i seen the crying game
it was good serious movie from england loved it:thumbsup:

Lady Katherine
01-16-2006, 11:53 PM
Crying Game was a moving, tragic picture. Just got home from seeing "Breakfast on Pluto," also done by Neil Jordan. The crossdressing star was totally believable, never going over the top in his female impersonation. You were comfortable with him as a female. Despite heavy violence in the movie, it failed to convey the seriousness of the Irish "troubles" but the young lady was a joy to see.

Katherine

GypsyKaren
01-16-2006, 11:54 PM
Hi Kate

First of all, let me welcome you to our family, I'm so glad you're here. Same goes to you Cyle Elise, welcome, and I love your name, it's so unique and I love things that are unique.

As far as movies go, you got it covered pretty well, though there are a few that you overlooked. I guess these weren't movies per se, but they were always hilarious, and they featured men in dresses quite often.

The Three Stooges. I don't think there's to much that can crack me up more than seeing Curly in a dress, especially when he pretended to be an opera singer once.

Bugs Bunny. Remember when Bugs dressed up and became Lady Bugs? Not only did he look good in a dress, but I can't think of anyone who wore lipstick better than Lady Bugs. Why the folks at Revlon or Covergirl haven't signed Lady Bugs to be their spokesperson yet is beyond me.

Not a movie but a television show, Monty Python's Flying Circus. I realize it was all satire and that they always looked awful on purpose, it's just that I'm a big fan and I saw an oppurtunity to throw in a shameless plug. Sorry.

GypsyKaren

Wendi {LI NY}
01-16-2006, 11:57 PM
I love the movie "Some like it HOT" I think that started me thinking ,,Hey maybe there are people like me ? [smile] I was very young .
Also an movie called ." Goodbye Charlie" with Debbie Reynolds
She Played a men that was a playboy that was murder and came back as a women that had to learn to be a women !She also gets sirduse by her best friend ,That she :: Knew was a male ..:
I was fascinate that maybe I would wake -up one morning and I would be a girl? Well I thought it could happen ? I think I made it happen? hugs,Wendi:clap:

KateW
01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
Thanks for your contributions so far and for welcoming me - its great to be here!

kate xxxx

PS. I just remembered another film... Ace Ventura: Pet Detective! (one of the characters at the end)

susandrea
01-17-2006, 12:03 AM
Being a pickypants, Mrs. Doubtfire, Tootsie, and Some Like It Hot didn't feature crossdressers.

The characters were guys dressed that way as a disguise (but it was used as a comic device and not intended in any way to be regarded as crossdressing.)

Great films, though!:D

A couple more-- crossdressers or not-- The World According to Garp, Ma Vie en Rose, Stage Beauty, Just Like a Woman, I Was a Male War Bride, Beautiful Boxer, Victor/Victoria, the new version of The Longest Yard, Diary of a Mad Black Woman, and... I'm sure there are more.

susandrea
01-17-2006, 12:05 AM
Monty Python's Flying Circus.

GypsyKaren

And also Kids in the Hall and The Hollow Men (a riot!) :D

KateW
01-17-2006, 12:10 AM
Here are two more: All The Queens Men and Ed Wood.

KirstyChibiMoon
01-17-2006, 12:14 AM
A couple more-- crossdressers or not-- The World According to Garp, Ma Vie en Rose, Stage Beauty, Just Like a Woman, I Was a Male War Bride, Beautiful Boxer, Victor/Victoria, the new version of The Longest Yard, Diary of a Mad Black Woman, and... I'm sure there are more.

kewl Ma Vie en Rose is one of my faves :)
heres a kewl linkee on it:

http://www.sonypictures.com/classics/mavieenrose/stillsclips.html

susandrea
01-17-2006, 12:15 AM
Here are two more: All The Queens Men and Ed Wood.

They add up, don't they!? :D

Some Like it Hot is one of my all-time favs.

I also liked To Wong Foo, even if it was a bit flawed, because the lead actors did such a great job and treated their characters with respect.

The British TV hit "Little Britain" features both actors as crossdressers and male actors playing women.

KateW
01-17-2006, 12:31 AM
Little Britain is fantastic! Another British TV comedy from the 90's called "Bottom" featured an episode (in series 3) where Adrian Edmonson dressed up as Rik Mayall's wife in order to stay at a hotel for free. There are also a lot of instances in "Black Adder" where men dressed as women.

rachel_rachel
01-17-2006, 01:28 AM
There was a movie called "Connie & Carla" about two girls who were running from a hitman and ended up in L.A.
They were from Chicargo, (i think) doing caberet at an airport departure lounge, and ended up by chance getting a gig at a local cd'ers bar in L.A, they had to hide that they were women and were actually drag kings, but playing drag queens.

Quite funny movie, IMO

Rachel.

Deanna2
01-17-2006, 02:08 AM
As mentioned earlier a lot of the movies cited actually refer to men in disguise rather than CDing per se.

The best strictly CD movie that I have seen and I managed to get a copy of it is 'Just Like a Woman'. Susandrea referred to it in her post.

I think it should be manadatory viewing for all CDers and wannabees. It portrays many of the trials and tribulations of a CD as well as many of the joys of eventual acceptance by loved ones and friends. It would have to rate five stars.

Rosemary
01-17-2006, 04:27 AM
You forgot.....
PrĂȘt-Ă*-Porter
The Triple Echo
Various Episodes of MASH
Dressed to Kill
Secret Policeman's Ball
la Cage Folles
Glen or Glenda

Mary:angel:

Joyce1702
01-17-2006, 07:06 AM
Yes, "Just Like A Woman" is probably the best film dealing with a "real" crossdresser and not someone dressing as a disguise. Highly recommended!

By the way, it was only released on VHS in the US and it has gotten quite epensivie on Amazon. I was able to get it on DVD from eBay.

Joyce

Lawren
01-17-2006, 08:36 AM
Susandrea already mentioned "I Was a Male War Bride" with Cary Grant. That is one of my favorites. Didn't Bob Hope and Bing Crosby crossdress in one of the "Road Shows"?

As for tv series, Benny Hill was often CDing and looked quite good in some of those outfits. Some of his co-stars also dressed up.

Bugs Bunny also did a good impression of a female tasmanian devil. :)

Kim E
01-17-2006, 09:07 AM
My favorite film would be Showtime's 'Soldier's Girl'. Lee Pace played real life TS Calpernia Adams. Very believable performance and I highly recommend the film.

Kim

CaptLex
01-17-2006, 10:20 AM
Bugs Bunny. Remember when Bugs dressed up and became Lady Bugs? Not only did he look good in a dress, but I can't think of anyone who wore lipstick better than Lady Bugs. Why the folks at Revlon or Covergirl haven't signed Lady Bugs to be their spokesperson yet is beyond me.

I agree! :clap: Bugsy is my favorite crossdresser of all time. I think my favorite one is when he was on the riverboat dressed like a southern belle. :bs:

Lindahexi
01-17-2006, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the link Kirsty, looks like a really nice movie.

CDtv
01-17-2006, 11:25 AM
How about the Monty Python cast!!!! Lot's of inspiration there correct. Lumberjacks not withstanding

christine55
01-17-2006, 11:31 AM
It is kind of strange that two of the most well made, serious, with the most beleivable presentations as women are movies having to do with Ireland and the troubles there, Breakfast on Pluto, and The Crying Game. Would anyone have any idea why this is. Are there lots of crossdressers in Ireland?
Hugs, Christine

susandrea
01-17-2006, 11:49 AM
It is kind of strange that two of the most well made, serious, with the most beleivable presentations as women are movies having to do with Ireland and the troubles there, Breakfast on Pluto, and The Crying Game. Would anyone have any idea why this is. Are there lots of crossdressers in Ireland?
Hugs, Christine

It's not Ireland it's Neil Jordan.:thumbsup:

He also tackles other subjects, too. He's one of the best in my opinion.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001403/

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

KateW
01-17-2006, 11:52 AM
The Crying Game and Breakfast on Pluto were both written and directed by Neil Jordan, who is Irish.

KateW
01-17-2006, 11:53 AM
lol you got there just before me Susandrea!

Aileen
01-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Some other foreign movies:

Menage, aka Tenue de soirée ( Gerard Depardieu doesn't look good in a dress, but Michel Blanc does )
Belle Epoque

A domestic movie:

100 Girls

Debbie Kong
01-17-2006, 12:58 PM
Let's not forget Norman Bates in "Psycho"

Debbie

Hannah
01-17-2006, 01:05 PM
Sponge Bob Square pants featured some sort of a crossdressing shrimp near the end and Shrek 2 has an innkeeper with a definite preference for a frock.

Michelle8
01-17-2006, 05:31 PM
The Best Movie Has To Be The Crying Game.
Jaye Davidson Was fantastic!She Was So
Believable And I For One Am Envious.

charly
01-17-2006, 06:31 PM
"Ma Vie En Rose" (My life In Pink) Is about a little boy who thinks that he is supposed to be a little girl. It came out in '97 and was nominated for Golden Globe "Best Foreign Film"

http://www.sonypictures.com/classics/mavieenrose/

Kaelin
01-17-2006, 06:34 PM
I vaguely recall a movie, perhaps made for television sometime in the 90s.
The plot consisted of a young mtf who wanted badly to attend some sort of girls summer camp and convinced his sister to give him a hand. From what very little I can recall it was reasonably well done.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

BrendaB GG
01-17-2006, 06:37 PM
There's also a movie called Normal, which I guess is not strictly crossdressing. The guy is transgendered and comes out to his wife and family after 25 years of marriage. Stars Jessica Lange. Worth a viewing for sure.
Brenda

Drucilla
01-17-2006, 08:22 PM
You may want to check this link :http://www.pagerealm.com/tiffmich/index.html

It's a very complete list of TG/CD related movies.

Olivia
01-17-2006, 10:43 PM
My wife and I drove to Austin to see "Just Like A Woman" when it was first released. It is a good movie and it was great for my wife to watch it with me. My most vivid memory of that little trip was the ride home however. The movie was just the perfect catalyst for one of our first, in-depth talks about my crossdressing. I talked, and cried, and she listened with sincere interest. It was a watershed event in our relationship. A must see film for any crossdresser and wife or SO. Olivia

Danielle
01-17-2006, 10:58 PM
GIRLS!!What about Back to the future 2??Michael J fox plays his own daughter,thought that was cool!

KateW
01-18-2006, 11:05 PM
While not about men being dressed as women - the following film was also announced today:

New Line has snagged the comedy pitch None Of Her Business from writing team Cindy and Donald Hewitt. The plot focuses on a corporate executive who is fired, but turns a Tootsie and gets her job back by posing as a man. Hilarity, no doubt ensues. There’s no cast or director attached yet.

With a woman playing the role of a man in "TransAmerica", perhaps I should suggest myself to play a woman dressing as a man in "None of her Business"?

joanlynn28
01-18-2006, 11:27 PM
Let's not forget that Canadian comedy show "The Kids in the Hall" I loved the way Dave Foley looked dressed up emfemme on that show. On of Lorne Micheals better efforts compared to SNL.

Shelby
01-19-2006, 01:42 AM
Dave Foley also went drag in a n episode of newsradio for a Halloween party - convincing. Someone mentioned about an early 1990's moving about a teen in a girls summer camp. I remember a movie about teen trying to get into a private art school. He was trying to avoid a bully (Charlie Sheen) so he went as a girl with his sister's help. However, he had a crush on a girl there and would occasionally go boy to meet up with her. He even joined her onthe cheerleading squad and they went to summer cheer camp. Unfortunetly, the bully who had a crush on him/her was the girlfriends older brother. Very funny movie and i think the star was Cory Haim. The guy from Weekend at Bernies also went to college as a girl as part of a frat challenge. And don't forget Mel Gibson toying with bras, nylons and shaving in "What Women Want"

KateW
01-24-2006, 10:14 PM
Ah yes, What Women Want... I'd love to have Mel Gibson's job in that!!!

S. Lisa Smith
01-24-2006, 11:20 PM
Freeby and the Bean, the badguy was a great crossdresser.

sarahjan
01-25-2006, 12:53 AM
There a very good guide to TG movies at:

http://members.fortunecity.com/jayekayetv/tmovies/0.htm

There was also a great film in the 70's with Glenda Jackson and Oliver Reed called Triple Echo were a guy deserts (Brian Deacon) from the Army in WW2 and hides as a women on GJ's farm.

Unfortunately it has been deleted for distribution by the film companies but occassional copies come up for sale on Ebay.

Have just read IMDb and it was also called Solider in Skirts and was based on a book by HE Bates

susiej
01-25-2006, 01:17 AM
Girls,

The movie "Rent" IMHO deserves to be in the top-10 list of movies that portray CV/TV/TS characters in sympathetic terms.

"Rent" isn't (exactly) *about* cd-ing, but a major character is Angel, a transgender with an amazing attitude. She is the motivating force of the story, and she makes no excuses or apologies.

Hugs,
Susie

susandrea
01-25-2006, 07:26 AM
"Before Night Falls" is a great film and Johnny Depp is a CD in that.

And did someone mention "Kiss of the Spider Woman"??? Another great film.

KateW
01-27-2006, 11:07 PM
Just when you thought we had run out of films with crossdressing in! I went to see Munich this evening, and in one scene, some guys put on dresses, tights and wigs to be in disguise. I certainly wasn't expecting that one!