PDA

View Full Version : Trans Pride L.A. Bomb Threat

Michelle789
06-15-2014, 08:14 PM
I went to Trans Pride L.A. on Friday and Saturday. It was amazing. I really enjoyed hearing Buck Angel speak, seeing my friend's band perform, mingling with other trans people all day, and seeing transgender films at the end of the day. Sadly, they had to cut Trans Pride short, and they told us that due to technical difficulties they would not be able to show us the last film. They immediately evacuated us. They made the announcement blend into the closing scene of the last movie, so it looked like Star Lady was making the announcement as part of the film.

As we walked out of the theatre, we heard fire engines and rumors spread that there was a fire. They made us move our cars out of the parking lot immediately. A few minutes later I started hearing rumors of bomb threats.

This just reminded me of how we still have a long way to go for gaining trans acceptance. It's sad that someone would plant a bomb at Trans Pride, or even call in a fake threat to scare us and end the event early. Like, seriously, what did we ever do to these transphobes? And why do people feel a strong need to plant bombs, or scare us with fake bomb threats?

Posting this thread just made me realize why the news is so awful. I posted two threads about Trans Pride, and one was about a crazy girl asking us whether we're really girls or guys, and another one about a bomb threat. Geez, why can't I post a thread about something positive related to Trans Pride.

Well, I'll end on a good note. We went to the after party at a nearby night club, and we had a great time. We danced, and socialized for a few hours, and I met some interesting people. Oh, and I only drank my alcohol free rum and coke lol.

http://www.examiner.com/article/bomb-threat-shuts-down-2014-los-angeles-trans-pride (http://www.examiner.com/article/bomb-threat-shuts-down-2014-los-angeles-trans-pride)

Jenniferathome
06-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Keep in mind that bomb threats are a common tactic by morons to interfere with ANYTHING.

ArleneRaquel
06-15-2014, 08:24 PM
Morons in America seem to be in abundance these days-alas !

KaceyR
06-15-2014, 09:43 PM
The other side of this.. Bomb threats are considered an act of mass terrorism...
Technically the FBI, homeland security, and such would be pulling stuff (phone records,etc ) against whoever made such a threat.
Think that'll happen here? Doubt it. Double standards will likely make them let it slide.
Or continue it..say they get whoever did this. Think they'll get as strong of a sentence?
Or end up with as strong after the many appeals? They'll eventually find a "sympathetic" judge..:(

Sorry...maybe just a bit down and dissillusioned over recent news,events, and such.

Beverley Sims
06-15-2014, 10:07 PM
Bomb threats aren't just confined to our own special interest group.

They encompass every one.

tina99
06-16-2014, 12:46 AM
I think we're lucky that they didn't do the same thing to Los Angeles Gay Pride the previous weekend. I volunteered with the TG booth there on Sunday.

Katey888
06-16-2014, 04:31 AM
Michelle - I'm sorry the day for you and and thousands of other supporters was disrupted... It's a mean and dangerous thing to do but I suspect it will be treated seriously, because a hoax can often be a prelude for a real attack and is used to test the reactions of the emergency services...

I'm sure it is just transphobes thinking that they can disrupt the event with impunity - let's hope they get caught!

Sounds like quite an event, in any case - so that's a positive! :) Another thing to take away is the fact that if folk are reacting to it (even negatively) it means that the profile is increasing and the message is spreading... and that has to be a Good Thing ultimately, even though it probably means an increase in the minor niggles as well...

Well done to you and your friends and everyone for supporting the event! :cheer:

Katey x

mariehart
06-16-2014, 04:49 AM
Growing up in Ireland I'm well used to bomb threats not to mention the occasional real thing. But they are always scary. The problem of course is that the real fanatics don't bother with warnings anymore.

That's far more scary even if it's rare.

CrossJess
06-16-2014, 05:25 AM
Yea that's all part of life though, you will always get haters and people who over step the mark it's no different to what happens to gay pride events or any other event that people don't agree with, it's not my thing going to these things I've never been to one and not likely too, not everyone wants to see "our sort" lol as they say parading through the streets, it's not everyone cuppa of tea which is fair play and I respect that, anyway I would seriously fear for my safety afterwards because there is always some groups looking for a fight, i've already been beaten up once for being gay so I don't want to go there again no way.:sad:

giuseppina
06-16-2014, 09:37 AM
Some people think they have to destroy everything.

I'd like to see the perpetrators prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Lizzy66
06-16-2014, 11:59 AM
I am sorry that happened Bomb threats are never any fun.
I do not understand why some people think they can try and ruin something do not, and try not to understand.
The LBGT and CD communities are not some secret society that is trying to take over the world. I wish people
that would get a clue. Maybe as a punishment they should make who ever did this live a year as you do so they
see all the difficulties they you and every one else in your world goes though every day, just saying.

Sorry if this sound like I am ranting but I hate stupid people.

Michelle789
06-16-2014, 03:25 PM
On a more positive note, at least there was no real bomb, and no one was killed or injured. And thank God that the police did take the threat seriously, and evacuate us. I do hope they catch the perpetrators, and give them the max sentence too.

I agree that when it comes to terrorism, the fact that the event is a bunch of trannies or fags goes out the window. To law enforcement, a bomb is a bomb is a bomb.

Lizzy, I really like your punishment. Personally, I think everyone should be required to live as a member of the opposite gender for one year, between 18 and 21, and understand what it is like to be the opposite gender, as well as what it is like to be trans. No hormones, hair removal, or surgeries are required. Just full-time cross-dressing or cross-living for a year. I think it would also help people who are not trans to also understand what it is like to have gender dysphoria too, because a cis-man living as a woman can cause dysphoria too. Trans people will be able to figure themselves out and accept themselves as trans and as the gender they identify as, and would be able to transition by 21 if they haven't already done so.

TessaGirl
06-16-2014, 03:55 PM
That's sad. I wonder if a British Trans Pride in London would also get a bomb threat.

BLUE ORCHID
06-16-2014, 08:31 PM
Hi Michelle, There's just no fix for stupid.

Emi_
06-16-2014, 09:37 PM
So, I fell off the train here. Was there a real threat or just a rumor of a threat?

Also, yes, bomb threats are all too common nowadays and it isn't just trans* folk who are targeted. Ignorance is an equal-opportunity offender.

Adriana
06-16-2014, 10:06 PM
This is just another narrow minded individual who thinks its funny to call that crud in. This happened while I attended college and the person was caught after a few times ....and when law enforcement ask them why they did it they said they wanted to miss class due to an exam....very sad. People will do stupid stuff just to try and make a point. I hope no one was injured during the whole situation.

PaulaQ
06-17-2014, 12:48 AM
I'm really glad there was only a threat, and no bomb, Michelle, but I'm sorry that some a--hole ruined the event.

Michelle789
06-17-2014, 01:03 AM
Here's the updated story

http://www.queerty.com/trans-pride-l-a-evacuates-following-back-to-back-bomb-threats-20140616

On a brighter note, here's to Statues of Cats....meow

https://www.facebook.com/TransPrideLA