PDA

View Full Version : I've often said you have to own it but this time I couldn't..To the Canadian girls

Launa
06-15-2014, 08:59 PM
I know I have often preached in the past that you shouldn't make up lies about CDing. I'm also not saying to run around and publicly announce it out loud to everyone either...

Last weekend I was dressed to the 9's at the gay pride parade in Edmonton AB. What an event I must say, my first time at an opening parade!!!!
When I got down to the main square where the parade ends and the big party begins I was walking all around the place in my bright dress and massive head piece. Then this woman asked me to come and pose in front of the camera for the Weather Network! Well you Canadian girls know what the weather network is! Anyway I declined, the lady persisted and I still declined. I felt like a coward because I couldn't own it but I'm also not ready for national television.... LOL

Cheers

Launa

jessie1209
06-15-2014, 09:08 PM
You would be taking a huge risk on a massive scale. I don't blame you for your decision.

Beverley Sims
06-15-2014, 10:14 PM
I agree, it was a wise decision.

No need to tread on others toes and expose yourself into the bargain.

giuseppina
06-15-2014, 10:48 PM
I agree with your decision. That said, I admire you for being out in the open. I would never march in a parade in a dress.

Charla McBee
06-16-2014, 01:45 AM
If I'm already out on the street and this happened to me, I like to think that I would own it. I've been taken completely by surprise with reporters three times in my life and I always found myself having something to say, albeit not about CDing or trans issues. I haven't been out in public yet but I would like to be one day soon. Once I take that step I figure all bets are off.

Michelle (Oz)
06-16-2014, 03:36 AM
I once was stopped in the street by a newspaper reporter and photographer for a local paper (I was interstate) and agreed to a photo and quote. Next day when I saw the paper, the photo looked OK but I worried that someone who knew me in male mode would recognise me. Nothing said thankfully but there is absolutely no way I'd appear on TV.

Teresa
06-16-2014, 06:39 AM
Giuseppina,
That's an interesting comment about not parading in a dress ! I haven't done that but when I was a member of a charity fundraising group we did some whacky things, if I knew I was raising money for a good cause I would have done it especially as part of a group.

MsVal
06-16-2014, 07:00 AM
Oh, you must have been very conflicted, having the opinion that one should own the moment, yet not having whatever it takes to actually do that.

Isn't it true that we are more courageous when we are a member of a group than individually? I suppose your reaction would have been different if the woman from The Weather Network had asked a group to pose.

Aside from that bit of uncomfortable introspection, it sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Best wishes
MsVal

Kate Simmons
06-16-2014, 07:06 AM
You don't have to do anything really. Whatever I do is totally my choice to do. No more, no less. :battingeyelashes::)

Melissa_59
06-16-2014, 08:25 AM
If it's any consolation, I think you made the correct decision. It's one thing to own up to something, another thing to slap the Fates in the face with a wet fish and say "Come and get me." Until what we do becomes more generally accepted where we all live (and to our employers), I think it's wise to keep things at a lower volume.

I'm not saying we should all crawl back into our closets either, so before someone calls me out on that, it's not what I mean. Just don't go slapping Fate in the face with a wet fish, that's all.

~Mel

Annaliese
06-16-2014, 08:46 AM
Your first time at a event like that, and you are beating your self up over tilling a Weather Network no. I pissed at the lady for not taking no the first time.

Judith96a
06-16-2014, 10:15 AM
Launa,
A wise decision methinks! She who dresses and runs away (from the TV camera) lives to dress another day. No point risking unnecessary hassle.
Judith xx

kimdl93
06-16-2014, 10:27 AM
I guess its something you have to decide for yourself. I wonder if the national coverage would have put you at greater exposure to people that matter than the parade.

Tamara Segunda
06-16-2014, 03:00 PM
I'm surprised. Canadians are usually much more sensible than their southern neighbors. I live in San Diego, California, and we've had a fairly large LGBT population, and pride parades for many years. When they first started (back in the 70s), the local media treated it as a freak show and the TV footage always featured the most picturesque participants. Sometime around when the mayor and the chief of police joined the parade, though, the coverage became much more respectful and aware. For example, even though the military still discharged LGBT service members, there was a substantial number of LGBT sailors and marines here. The media realized that it was poor form to try to out any of these people, even by "incidentally" having them show up in the video. The Weather Network should know better.

Launa
06-16-2014, 08:25 PM
Oh, you must have been very conflicted, having the opinion that one should own the moment, yet not having whatever it takes to actually do that.

Isn't it true that we are more courageous when we are a member of a group than individually? I suppose your reaction would have been different if the woman from The Weather Network had asked a group to pose.

Aside from that bit of uncomfortable introspection, it sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Best wishes
MsVal

It was a wonderful time alright! It was like spending 3 days on Freemont Street during the summer months!

I'm not saying we should all crawl back into our closets either, so before someone calls me out on that, it's not what I mean. Just don't go slapping Fate in the face with a wet fish, that's all.

~Mel

Your first time at a event like that, and you are beating your self up over tilling a Weather Network no. I pissed at the lady for not taking no the first time.

Yeah I always preach you've got to own things and have the balls to stand up for yourself just not this time. lol

I'm surprised. Canadians are usually much more sensible than their southern neighbors. The media realized that it was poor form to try to out any of these people, even by "incidentally" having them show up in the video. The Weather Network should know better.

The media wasn't trying to out anybody as on this day most of the people are out Loud and Proud so it was myself that didn't go in front of the camera.

BLUE ORCHID
06-17-2014, 07:19 AM
Hi Launa, That was probably the smartest thing that you did all day.

Launa
06-18-2014, 07:32 PM

Hey Blue Orchid, about an hour after I was asked to go on TV I sat down at a bar and rested my feet. It was a good thing I wasn't at the bar first and then asked to go in front of a camera. LOL

It was the crazy outfit that I wore that got a lot of attention!

Hell on Heels
06-18-2014, 08:28 PM
Hel-o Luana, I sure would have declined if asked.
Just remember to stay out of the bars until the party gets rolling. OR NOT!
I'm glad to here you had a good time, sounds like a fun day!
Much Love,
kristyn

Launa
06-18-2014, 10:25 PM
The party was rolling along alright.... I was nervous at first when I got to the parade but after a couple of drinks at the local city square where the party was happening then I was ok. I took a lot of pictures at the square with a lot of folks, just wasn't ready for the big cameras!