PDA

View Full Version : An unexpected encounter

AmyGaleRT
06-20-2014, 07:20 PM
Yesterday afternoon, I was leaving my apartment to head to a meeting of the host committee for next February's "Creating Change" conference here in Denver. Of course, I was doing so as Amy, in a new orange polka-dot dress with a thin white cardigan over it, hose and low heels. What can I say, I was trying to look businesslike. :)

As I was locking the door, I noticed a young man passing the entryway of my building...it looked like he was going to keep walking onward, but, instead, he turned to me and said, "Excuse me, ma'am? I'm one of your neighbors, and I was wondering if you have any jumper cables."

Of course, I keep a set in my trunk, but I dithered for a minute, saying, "Um, I think so...", while I was internally debating whether or not I could, or should, help him. A few things flashed through my mind: Would this make me late for the meeting? Would I unwittingly out myself to him? I decided to go ahead and help him. He pushed his car out a bit from its parking space, while I drove mine over and pulled into the empty space next to him.

The jump-starting went uneventfully; I've done this many times before (as a male, though), and I let him hook his end of the cables to his battery before I hooked up the negative side of mine to a metal bracket in my engine compartment. After a couple of tries, his car started, and we were able to unhook everything and get both of us on our way.

The young man was quite polite to me throughout, even opening my hood for me once I'd pulled the tab that unlocked it. If he read me at all, he gave no sign of it, and, of course, I was on my best ladylike behavior throughout. The last thing he said as he got into his car was, "You have a good day," to which I responded, "Thank you, you too!"

Chalk up another "first" for me...it felt good to both be able to help someone out, and to be accepted for what I am in the process!

- Amy

Marcelle
06-20-2014, 07:27 PM
Hi Amy,

What a great story and good on you for being such a lady and helping out someone in need. No good deed is left undone as some are want to say. Did you make your meeting?

Hugs

Isha

AmyGaleRT
06-20-2014, 07:34 PM
Yes, Isha, I was definitely early for the meeting....mostly, I was worried about parking, but I needn't have, there was plenty available by the time I got there. I'm just a little twitchy about getting places on time. ;)

- Amy

franlee
06-20-2014, 08:21 PM
Amy that was a good thing to do for a neighbor, you never know when that simple act of help could be rewarded. I t could be that it carry's over to someone special to you like a mother or daughter, ect without you ever knowing about it. And evidently it was a very positive experience for you. I personally would not have been able to do it, because I am in a totally different living environment, but I do admire you and even envy your doing this kind act. Just another example of we are all human regardless of attire.

BLUE ORCHID
06-20-2014, 08:32 PM
Hi Amy, A good deed will come back to you many fold.

Alice_2014_B
06-20-2014, 09:19 PM
Very cool encounter.

Linda Stockings
06-20-2014, 11:22 PM
I feel the same sentiment, especially what Franlee said. Good for you.

Linda

Julie Denier
06-20-2014, 11:50 PM
A great story, sis -- just another example of what a wonderful, caring person you are! ;)

susmitha
06-21-2014, 02:09 AM
Amy Gale, your encounter was great. I think the guy believed you are a GG.

Shelly Preston
06-21-2014, 02:50 AM
Amy, If you ever need the help of a neighbour I am sure the grateful young man will be only too pleased to help.

I am glad it all went so smoothly.

Nicole Erin
06-21-2014, 02:56 AM
Doesn't even matter if he "Read" you or not. Some people are polite either way.
I am going to imagine the guy was probably not some idiot with his pants around his ankles and basement-done tattoos?

AmyGaleRT
06-21-2014, 03:49 AM
Erin, he was black, but he was decently casually dressed, definitely not of the type you mention! I didn't think to mention his skin tone earlier, it wasn't particularly important. He was driving a white CUV of some sort.

I'd like to think that, even if he did read me, maybe he came away with a favorable impression of trans women as a result. "She came by and helped me out even though she was clearly on her way somewhere...what do I care what she actually has under that dress? She was pleasant and helpful. Maybe those people really aren't that much different from us after all." Which is even true. :) And maybe when he sees reports of trans people in the news, he'll be thinking, "Oh yeah, just like the lady who jumped my car for me!" :D

Maybe I'm being not so much "AAA Amy" (as a Facebook friend dubbed me), but "Ambassador Amy"...

- Amy

STACY B
06-21-2014, 04:37 AM
Boy or Girl BET it wouldn't matter one Bit how you were dressed ,, Acting ,, Or nothing else when there ( A FOOT ) Without that jump he picking um up an putting um down !!! Sure seems funny how Attitudes change for the better when someone NEEDS something ? WHATTTTTTTTTTTT ,,,,, You could have been dressed as Spong Bob an the only thing he still would have seen was those Cables ,,lol,,,

Beverley Sims
06-21-2014, 05:31 AM
Amy you seem to get "out" further every time I read your posts.
A job well done and I compliment you.