PDA

View Full Version : Crossdressing as an artform?

Sophia Rearen
01-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Hi all,
I'm planning a day trip enfemme to The Philadelphia Museum of Art. The art museum may eventually become my haven. I cannot wait to enjoy the day dressed nicely enfemme. They sound of my heels on the marble floors in large galleries will be pleasure to my ears. I also believe that the museum will be a safe place. They should be quite accepting of my dressing.

It was at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC where I felt a deep emotional response to the art. And not just to the nudes of a photographer who was being exhibited.;) It was three years ago, and I was in the latter stages my mid life crises, trying to figure out who I was, and why am I here? It was a powerful experience to say the least. I then came to understand who I was. Not just that I am a crossdresser, but I, as well, am an artist. Not just in my career, where I have the opportunity to be creative daily, but in my cding, I am an artist.

Recently, the Philadelphia Museum of Art has been advertising frequently on TV. One of the points made in the commercial is that all an artist is trying to do is "to have the viewer be able to get inside them and find out who they really are inside, and be able to understand them better" Isn't that what most of us would love to do as crossdressers? Wouldn't you love to be able to express yourself freely through your crossdressing and thereby, let others see who you really are inside and maybe, they would be able to understand you better? Aren't you then an artist? I know I am.

I consider myself an expressionist. When I transform myself, I feel as if I am creating. It's a process that starts with the shave. Removing my stubble and starting with a new canvas. As I sit at the mirror and apply my makeup from my color pallette, I create. I continue creating through the right clothes and jewelry. All I choose to wear is an expression of how I feel. There is nothing wrong with me and my artform. I feel so free when I express this form of art. What better place to express myself than an art museum!?

ima
01-17-2006, 10:51 AM
I am a new, part time crossdresser so I do not have the experience most of you do. However, I love the time I do have all dressed up en femme. It is a very enjoyable experience. Personally, I don't think anyone is to blame for the way anyone dresses. Some of "our problems" might be our own doing because we label ourselves as crossdressers. I like the idea that I simply like to wear women's clothes, makeup and a wig etc. and I feel good doing it. I agree with Sophia, I feel like it is artwork when I dress en femme, putting all the pieces together to make something beautiful. Also, I feel there are many levels of gender questioning. Those who feel they were born in the wrong body type to me; one who is very comfortable with my male body but at the same time am very comfortable dressed in clothes that I love to wear. This fact probably plays a big part on how we all feel about being en femme. I have not yet gone out in public but I look forward to the time I do. To me it would be like a flower opening up.

Julia Cross
01-17-2006, 10:51 AM
Hi Sophia,

I could not agree with you more. And I think I will try the same. We are a canvas, one which can be repainted everyday. I admire your courage.

I look forward to hearing how your visit went.

By the way, how tall are you? Your pic is lovely and you look very passable.

Julia

RenaCD
01-17-2006, 11:08 AM
Sophia Such deep thoughts and so good looking Too! I Love it! This really sounds like a great,Safe day trip. I wish we could all join you it should be great fun.
In regards to the Art Form your right and as with any Art some days it works and some days it doesn't
I guess the secret is like any musical instrument or painting Practice,Practice,Practice
Although lately I feel like the Starving Artist!
Have a Wonderful Trip Enjoy!

Big Huggs Rena

uknowhoo
01-17-2006, 11:52 AM
Hello, Sophia. Thanks for the thread. Heading to the art museum sounds like a wonderful idea.

As far as crossdressing as an art form... I would have to agree that it is. Thinking about it further... GGs putting a look together, or even us/other guys dressing in drab could be considered art as well, though certainly not as compelling.;)

There is a senior member here whose signatures reads:
Ava Mouse - An artist experimenting with the medium of femininity...
"Imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery."
That kinda sums it up for me.

Caio,

Tammi

Phoebe Reece
01-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Very well said Sophia.
Although I am not an artist by profession, stage acting has held a stong interest for me for many years. So, I consider myself an artist of a slightly different type. The transformation into someone who appears to be so different is definitely an art. Taking your own personal artistic expression into a place that celebrates art (an art museum) is certainly something special that must strike a chord on an emotional level much deeper than say an outing to the mall. I hope you enjoy your time there as much as you anticipate.

Natasha Joy
01-17-2006, 12:51 PM
Excellent thoughts there Sophia.

My son's mom (my Ex) has criticized my CDing nature as being every type of warped thing under the sun. I have tried to describe it more as a hobby which tends to just bring more criticism so I have given up on trying to justify it at all now.

I like the artist analogy because it really does describe what we try to do. Getting your look just right can be described as an artist completing a new canvass. I had contact with this local area CD up until recently. She would think of a theme she wanted to create and place herself in it in the style that she was after. I told her many times that I thought of her more as an artist than a CD. Some of her CD layouts were amazing.

Anyways. Cheers to all my budding artist new friends here.

Joanne08
01-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Hi Sophia,

I too feel very much like an artist by transforming into Joanne. I've felt that way for some time, I'm glad you expounded on the subject. I think about trying new looks and poses, much like and painter painting a portait trying to capture the personality of their subject.

Love, Jo

Cathy Anderson
01-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Hi Sophia,

I really like two things in your post.

1. You talk about the connection between CDing and some much broader realm of our soul. I too feel a greater connection to this realm, whatever it is precisely, in art museums.

2. The idea of doing something with crossdressing besides the stereotyped behavior (e.g., websurfing, bars, shopping, etc.) sound good. It would use the energy of crossdressing, the power of the desire, to do something potentially constructive - namely to temporarily break out of the prison of complete subjective isolation. To say to others:

This is my inner reality! This is the deep, mysterious part of me, a part beyond words, definitions and standard logic, that I do not share with others. And you too, who observe, have such a side! Let us celebrate this, or, at least, acknowledge it in some positive way!"

I don't want to give advice. But I do feel comfortable saying this: if I saw a crossdresser doing this, I would be impressed—that is, as long as I sensed that they truly kept in mind the artistic motivation, and approached it with the right combination of fun and professionalism.

Doing it once or twice or even a few times is one thing. But as for making it a haven—if by that you mean while crossdressed—I would be more hesitant.

Be safe in any case! And respectful of others sensibilities here, whether they seem reasonable or not.

I wonder if you've seen my article on anima and crossdressing.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cathytg/anima.htm

Cathy

Jodi
01-17-2006, 09:04 PM
Sophia, Don't try to imitate Rocky Balboa by running up the steps in Heels.

Jodi

Jesse69
01-17-2006, 10:42 PM
I consider it an art if a man can make himself look like a real woman - especially if he looks real good! That why I look at pics of other crossdressors (no sexual thrill from this).

Fallen Angel
01-17-2006, 11:30 PM
honey thats my belife it is an art form and we are all artists creating a look of beuatey from a blank canvis of life.Its all in the eyes of the beholders with all its majic.Art is wounderfull it brings joy the uplifting feelings of the soul.It brings us to another time another place.Im proud to say my father was one.And Im glad to see some one like you enjoying so many treasers it pleases me so xxxxx

Sweet Susan
01-18-2006, 01:34 AM
I agree whole heartedly. In fact, the other day when I was applying my make-up, I was listening to the Band, and one of the songs that came on was "When I Paint My Masterpiece." It reminded me of how much effort I put into trying to create something not only special when I apply make-up, but something unique and different.

JenniferPaul
01-18-2006, 03:30 AM
I use to visit the Art Gallary in Vancouver en femme. One lady look at me up and down. Life a stage and we all play different parts and create ourselves in many ways. Feminine characters are more fun to create

Khriss
01-18-2006, 03:56 AM
- eye of the beholder -
...such things may always remain that way .. ?
or did You mean "impersonation" ?

still subjective..brutally so, in the real (homophobic) world- eh? "K"

(paintingmyfaceissointiguingandtheresultsaresosati sfying)

RhondaLynn
01-18-2006, 05:46 AM
I find the way women look in casual business attire - skirts, hose, heels, blouses, etc., and the way they carry themselves when wearing them, the way they sit, their body language, the subtle movements, and the confidence they have in themselves to wear what they like and enjoy it, expressing their sexuality and individuality, as the most attractive and admirable characteristics I know of.

As I've matured and became more aware of these things, I've found myself attempting to emulate them. I like to wear what they seem to feel comfortable wearing - skirts, etc. I admire the way they sit, cross their legs, dangle their shoes from their feet, adjust their skirts, walk in heels, etc.

When Rhonda's feeling frisky & expressive, I'll sit at my desk in front of several mirrors, trying to sit as they do, wanting to experience the same sensations. I enjoy the feel of the clothes as they drape across my body, the way my legs look, etc. In essence, I'm trying to experience their experience. In this context, you could say that Rhonda enjoys dressing like the women that we admire, in a sort of art form, you could say, as well as in a form of admiriation. I admire them for the trouble they go to to look so sensual, so I attempt to emulate them, hoping to enjoy it if ony a fraction as much as they do.

TGMarla
01-18-2006, 08:21 AM
Admiration begets emulation. Like Phoebe, I do some stage acting, too. And when I do, the character is a presentation. I try to make the best presentation of the character possible within me. My dressing is far more personal, and as Marla, I am not presenting a character, rather, I am presenting myself in a feminine way. But I still want that presentation to be as flawless as I can get it to be. In one regard, whenever we put clothing on, be we masculine or feminine, we are making a presentation. To some extent or another, we are presenting ourselves to the world, be the audience large or small. On Sundays in front of the football game, I present to my world the beer drinking, chip eating slob who needs a shower. Presenting myself as Marla is just lots more fun in a different way. Takes more work, too!

Sophia Rearen
01-18-2006, 10:11 AM
Marla, I agree. For me it's much deeper than presentation. We could be, while endrab or enfemme, presenting. But, I want to express my deepest feelings of self. When I want to express this side publicly, I don't want to just slap on some makeup, throw on some frumpy skirt and top and lie on the sofa and watch a game while sucking down suds and pounding the snacks. That's too simple. It's so much more meaningful to me. Most of us say that when we are dressed, it feels right. Well, that's true for me. And for me to express this, I need to do it to the fullest extent of my possibilties. That's when I feel right. I want people to see the real me. I am not affraid of some negative reaction from some viewers. Afterall, some art is shocking and contraversial.

Bridget
01-19-2006, 01:20 AM
I am a bit of an artist and a perfectionist myself, and it bleeds into everything i do. En femme or "drab", i take time every morning to see how i look, how everything works.

Marlena Dahlstrom
01-19-2006, 02:47 AM
One of the better articles (http://www.masquerade.ca/index2.html?swerve.html) on crossdressing I've seen (written by a gay reporter who went out en femme with a local CD group), reached a similar conclusion:

I have theories on why cross-dressing boosts confidence and self-esteem. First, the learning and mastering of new skills. Putting on makeup, selecting the right clothes, preparing hair, nails, and undergarments, walking gracefully in heels, mastering vocal control, these are all challenging to the newcomer and, when competently executed, create a strong sense of satisfaction. A successful transformation involves more than slapping on powder and lipstick, throwing on a dress, and talking in a falsetto. As a creative art form, cross-dressing can be as demanding and expressive as painting or sculpting, singing or acting.

Secondly, as Jacilynn explained, cross-dressing draws out characteristics that often have been lying dormant. It was surprising how many mannerisms rose to the occasion without conscious effort. The way I held my drink, how I sat, even the way I smiled were all subtly, and not so subtly, adjusted to match my new look. Exercise is effective when you push the muscles past their comfort zone, causing them to grow to handle the increased demand. Personality and character, when pushed beyond their comfort zone, respond in much the same way, becoming stronger, more flexible, and resilient. When the clothes and cosmetics are removed, the strength remains.

Finally, overcoming any fear empowers people, and for many men, loss of masculinity carries some fearful misconceptions. Dressing up, going out, having a good time, and coming home feeling positive has diminished what fears I held about not being able to maintain a manly image. That shirt with the buttons on the wrong side no longer makes me anxious, and I suspect if I found an article of clothing made for a woman that looked great on me, I would buy it, wear it, and not think twice.

The idea of doing something with crossdressing besides the stereotyped behavior (e.g., websurfing, bars, shopping, etc.) sound good. It would use the energy of crossdressing, the power of the desire, to do something potentially constructive - namely to temporarily break out of the prison of complete subjective isolation.

Getting out of the "pink ghetto" can be tremendously liberating, and interacting with people definitely can help one grow. And needless to say, having the general public seeing a confident, classy crossdresser in these circumstances helps them realize we may be "different" but not "abnormal."

BeckyAnderson
01-19-2006, 09:34 AM
Anytime one can use the tools of beauty (in my case - a spackle knife, putty, a little Genie Instant Line Smoother (to reduce the bags under my eyes), and then appling makeup, etc. - lots of makeup) and transform this face of mine into something that appears somewhat feminine is an absolute are form. And to take the appropriate steps to obtain a somewhat shapely body (bra, corsets and padding where necessary) is definately an art form. Then, of course, there is the matter of donning clothes that are cut for a female shape and squeezing into them without breaking a zipper, pulling a seam appart or looking like Omar the Tent Maker was your fashion designer. Oh, and I almost forgot.....trying to act like a woman without looking like you are trying to act like a woman and speaking in a slightly falsetto voice to convince others that you are enjoying art :-) ISN'T CROSSDRESSING GREAT????? I LOVE IT!!!!!

Hugs,
Becky