PDA

View Full Version : Who Is Your Role Model? / Do you imitate?

Darlena
01-17-2006, 03:46 PM
As you can tell by my avatar that I love Marilyn Monroe. But there are a great many more glamourous women that I emulate. I suppose this all started in my early childhood when in my developemental stage I couldn't help but pick up on their beauty, poise, mannerisms, etc. I had male role models too of course. But my attachment to the female personna was strongest. I would dress up in my mom's finest and put on fashion shows for our baby sitter. She loved it and always wanted an encore. So...I know you girls out there have a favorite female role model too. Who is it? Did you ever consciously imitate anyone that you admired? I'm wondering. Kiss, kiss,

Fallen Angel
01-17-2006, 04:08 PM
well I guess its Casandra peterson(elvira) she's very out spoken and always seems to put a smile on every ones face

CDtv
01-17-2006, 04:16 PM
why J. Edgar Hoover of course or was that truman capote?????

maid phylis
01-17-2006, 04:20 PM
my roll model is shirley mc laine.i have loved her since i first saw her in a movie when she was in her 20s.the movie was the trouble with harry and i thought she was gorgeous and she still is love maid phylis:rolleyes: :D

Aileen
01-17-2006, 04:27 PM
A secretary named Denise who no longer works at the same place I work. I used to love her dresses. She hardly ever wore pants, just beautiful, colorful dresses, looking every day like she stepped right out of the Seventies. She was a neon light. A lot of the dresses I've bought have been bought just because they were so much like her dresses.

Rachael Turner
01-17-2006, 05:41 PM
Old School: Audrey Hepburn

New School: Sarah Michelle Gellar
Though tragically I come off more like Britney Spears. :doh:

Stormgirl
01-17-2006, 05:48 PM
Do they have to be females? :rolleyes:

Nastasha
01-17-2006, 05:58 PM
A long time friend of mine.

We've known each other since we were kids, she's always quick to laugh and doesn't care what anyone thinks about her. She's kind to everyone, always smiling, quick to make friends, dresses beautifully always very feminine.

Best of all .. she barely blinked when she found out I dress. We talked about it for hours, the why's , the what if's. Now, she accepts that it is part of who I am, and I think that she is touched that I try to imitate her, I told her why so she wouldn't think I was a nutcase, and our friendship has grown even stronger since.

Do I have a crush on her? .. maybe at one time, but now .. she's just a person I would like to be. So I would have to say .. Thanks Kristen, you make me keep trying to do better. :)

Amelie
01-17-2006, 06:32 PM
Lily Munster, the totally gothic grrl.

Laurie Ann
01-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Katherine Hepburn the definition of grace, beauty, intelligence and poise. A person regardless of gender we all should aspire to be like she marched to the beat of her own drummer.

MarinaTwelve200
01-17-2006, 07:18 PM
I suppose I'd have to go with "Troi" on Star Trek, TNG.---ie. Marina Sirtis.

We share the same coloring, big dark eyes and a "slightly too-big" nose. :D ---A facial "flaw" that lends her countanence an air of "regal beauty" offsetting the childlike "cuteness" factor of her other features.

She has always intrigued me for some odd reason that I cannot fathom.---Not to mention that she has a great bod ---A living artists anatomy textbook that I could never hope to emulate from the neck down.

The name similarities Are co-incendental though-- MY "Marina" is based on a feminized version of my male name.

Sharon
01-17-2006, 07:20 PM
I don't really have a specific role model. I suppose I just try to model myself after the common woman, the type you pass on the street or in the stores.

If I could pull it off, however, I would love to dress like Nichole Kidman. Whether she is in jeans or a $4000 gown, she always looks amazing.

Carlacd
01-17-2006, 07:22 PM
My wife.

mallory-is-a-tease
01-17-2006, 08:12 PM
i would say mine is now hilary duff she is great

Amelie
01-17-2006, 08:35 PM
i would say mine is now hilary duff she is great

Oh My, My, Mallory, you also look like Hillary Duff, very nice.

Rosemary
01-17-2006, 09:05 PM
Alyson Hannigan

She's pure redhead , she's the cutest without being a beauty queen, and she's out there becoming famous even though she mostly plays side roles.

I 've just loved her and wanted to be her ever since I saw here in "My Stepmother is an Alien"

Kim Bassinger is wonderful too.

Mary

yamicd
01-17-2006, 10:06 PM
I'd have to say it was an older secretary at work, she looked classy and conservative in her skirts and blouses that she wore to work every day. It used to drive me nuts to see her day in and day out looking so beautiful. I once told her that if I was a woman that I would dress the way she did. I think it just confused the hell out of her, and we never talked about it again. I was lucky enough to find out where she shopped for her work wardrobe and was able to buy some of the same blouses she would wear..
Dianne

FionaAlexis
01-17-2006, 10:27 PM
How many do you want Darlena?

In my early days I was pretty much in awe of the stars of 50s/60s – Jane Russell, Sophia Loren, Tippi Hedren, Kim Novak etc………….and Meta Calhoun, the woman who lived next door and one of my first bosses, Shirley Atkins…had a huge influence.

During the Athens Olympics, I was very impressed with the Mayor of Athens, Dora Bayokannis – and followed her entrances and exits pretty closely.

Mary Robinson was another woman, who because I admire her as a person , I’d pay attention to what she wearing and how she looked.

And I get glimpses, single photos of t-women that make a lasting impression…Amanda Richards has the looks I’d love to have and dresses to match….and Samantha Matthews in Atlanta……Ashleigh and Cassandra Taylor….Suzanne Robertson, Helene Barclay and Tootsie in the UK. Suzanne and Helene continue to have an influence on me in different ways.

And on here….there’s Bernadina…. Khriss…..and Amelie!! And I thought Julie York was just a red pair of heels with a sense of humour…but she’s got bone structure and legs. And Tiffany Tuesday!

And there’s the GGs on here…..Tamara, Marla……Kathy!! If I fell asleep on the wrong operating table and I woke up looking like one of those women – I don’t think I’d be suing the hospital ;)

See I’m getting carried away now. I better have a couple of aspirin and lie down

Fiona xx

Sweet Susan
01-18-2006, 02:02 AM
I have had soooo many. Let me think of a few

Ann Bancroft as Mrs. Robinson. Talk about sexy.

Susan Rook. A one-time anchor woman on CNN, back when O.J. was king. She may not have been the most gorgeous, but she was one of the most dominating women ever to grace a newscast.

Joan Crawford

Bette Davis

Sigourney Weaver

Susan Hayward

Nurse Cratchet

Diana Ross

Kathleen Turner

Donna Reed

GypsyKaren
01-18-2006, 02:17 AM
Hi Darlena

There is one actress I have always adored, she was quite a star during the golden days of Hollywood, the beautiful and talented Olivia de Havilland. I first saw her in Captain Blood with Errol Flynn, one of my favorite actors. They would go on to make many movies together. To me she was everything I could ever imagine a fine lady to be, and she had an innocense and sweetness about her that really came across on the screen. Olivia has always been my role model, and it was a sad day when she left us.

GypsyKaren

Roxannecede
01-18-2006, 02:19 AM
Mine has to be Pam Anderson,,,gotta love superficial blondes :) and such a nice shoe collection she has !!! Kisses Roxy XX

Stephanie
01-18-2006, 08:26 AM
My female "role model" has always been Stevie Nicks (formerly of rock group Fleetwood Mac). She seems to be a very laid back, friendly, and caring person and I always thought that she is always VERY creative with her clothing/costumes that she wears during her performances (esp. "Gypsy"). I wouldn't say that I "imitate" her per se (although I consider my personality to be somewhat similar) but if I had the time and money I'd love to be able to put together some of her costumes and outfits to wear.

Tiffy
01-18-2006, 09:40 AM
I would say Samantha strong (avatar) and maybe Ginger Lynn.

kisses, April Marie

Reana
01-18-2006, 10:23 AM
well I guess its Casandra peterson(elvira) she's very out spoken and always seems to put a smile on every ones face

At the risk of not appearing "original" here I must also say Elvira. There are several areas of Elvira's projected personality and look that I want to imitate. I've been enthralled with this person since I first became aware of her many years ago. :bs:

kathy gg
01-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Gee thanks Fiona, :rolleyes: I really appreacaite that. I am sure Marla and Tamara do too.

CaptLex
01-18-2006, 01:41 PM
There is one actress I have always adored, she was quite a star during the golden days of Hollywood, the beautiful and talented Olivia de Havilland. I first saw her in Captain Blood with Errol Flynn, one of my favorite actors. They would go on to make many movies together. To me she was everything I could ever imagine a fine lady to be, and she had an innocense and sweetness about her that really came across on the screen. Olivia has always been my role model, and it was a sad day when she left us.

Karen:

I've always enjoyed the movies Olivia de Havilland and Errol Flynn made together. They had great chemistry (like Bogey and Bacall or Fred and Ginger), and Captain Blood is probably my favorite (of course, I wanted to be Errol) - with Robin Hood a close second favorite. She was also terrific without Errol - especially in Gone With the Wind.

Has she left us? I hadn't heard about that. Last I heard she was very old and living in France.

Ashley in Virginia
01-18-2006, 01:57 PM
I don't really have a specific role model. I suppose I just try to model myself after the common woman, the type you pass on the street or in the stores.

You know Sharon, I couldn't have said it better myself. I try to take my style of dressing from general people I see wandering around life.

Hollywood glitz and glam isn't for me. I tend to like things plain and simple.

Amelie
01-18-2006, 01:58 PM
You know Sharon, I couldn't have said it better myself. I try to take my style of dressing from general people I see wandering around life.

Hollywood glitz and glam isn't for me. I tend to like things plain and simple.

The same for me, I take my style from the girls wandering the streets at night.

ReginaK
01-19-2006, 08:51 AM
For the most part I try to be myself, but I do have a few people i've always felt I could model myself after.

Someone i've admired for quite some time now. And she's a member of this forum. :D
http://crossdressers.com/forums/member.php?u=4903

Renee Reyes is also a big influence. Her website was the starting point for me learning more about transgenderism. Plus she seems like such a positive and happy person. She's what I wish I could be.

And last but not least, my friend Merrilee.

Seraph
01-19-2006, 06:38 PM
I guess right now mine would be Sienna Guillory as Jill Valentines from Resident Evil: Apocalypse. :)

Maureen
02-27-2006, 07:30 PM
Sorry to jump on an old thread, but how could no one have mentioned Marlo Thomas, the star of "That Girl"? The cute clothes, big lashes, and that "flip" hairstyle... She was everything that I wanted to be when I was 8 years old. I would just stare at the TV whenever that show came on. My mother used to tease me about having a crush on her. If she had only known the truth!

Leigh Davis
02-27-2006, 07:58 PM
Elaine Benes
Tegan Jovanka

:)
Tegan had such a cute figure and she looked great in a stewardess uniform.

(Dr. Who companion for those unenlightened.)

kim in n.c.
02-27-2006, 10:49 PM
Imelda Marcos- If only for the shoe collection;)

Kimberley
02-27-2006, 11:50 PM
I notice no one mentioned Rosie O'Donnell

I just like to be me but if there was one.........Sarah Jessica Parker. Totally feminine, genuine, funny. Just a good person. I think I had a bit of a crush on her 25 years ago though and it never subsided so I am biased.

NatalieBliss
02-28-2006, 01:47 AM
Much like other posts I have seen my is more of a composite. Betty Page (my avatar, though it is a drawing) for dress and an ex-girlfriend for the casual side. Throw in a couple random "common girls" into the mix and that somes it up pretty well.

Sarah Rabbit
02-28-2006, 02:27 AM
I just try my hardest to look like a gg, and hopefully with a bit of style.

Sarah R :bunny:

TracyDeluxe
02-28-2006, 12:08 PM
Hmm, never really modeled myself on anyone. I AM like my mother in many things, but that just comes natural.

JodieFosterTLGWLDTL
02-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Okay, I've got one shot at this, so here you have it:

I wouldn't say "emulate," but as mentioned in another thread, Joan Jett is a hero -- "tough but tender, trashy yet sincere," with a really great smile & the best body for tight leather this side of Emma Peel; "Kramer vs. Kramer" era Meryl Streep was beautiful; Tea Leoni in "The Naked Truth" was goofy, sexy & sweet-- loved how they dressed her; "Frazier's" Jane Leeves as Daphnie is a fave rave; Meg Ryan in "When Harry Met Sally... - *so* cute (love how they dressed her, too); Marina Sirtis as Deanna Troi from "Star Trek: The Next Generation," especially when the costume crowd finally put her in that regular issue blue uniform; Geena Davis in both "A League of Their Own," and "The Long Kiss Goodnight;" the late Karen Dior (sic); and, as my screen name suggests, the intelligence, inner strength, and beauty, both inside & out, of Alicia Christian "Jodie" Foster.

That's all I can think of now. Thanks for the exercise -- it was fun! ;-\

Julie Avery
02-28-2006, 06:23 PM
I adore Meg Ryan, but will never look like her.

Amanda Harriman
02-28-2006, 06:46 PM
I love the Robert Palmer Girls from the Addicted to Love Video.
I'd also have to add Queen Latifah from Chicago because she is an ample woman who really has style.
Shirley Manson from the group "Garbage"

missymissy
04-05-2006, 09:39 AM
My Role Modle Is Britney Spears

joannejoanne
04-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Never really thought of it. It is just something that came natural, though my wife says i am getting more like my mother every day.Though if i chose a role model i think it would Jodie Foster.

barbie lanai
04-05-2006, 11:04 AM
Think I only tried once to look like someone. The March 17, 1961 cover of Life magazine had this girl in a tight skirt sitting. The pose turned me on. When my folks were gone, got a skirt and sat on the floor trying to duplicate the look. Found I just couldn't sit like that. Here's the cover photo and has her name.

Gurly
04-20-2006, 08:40 AM
Geez, where do I start? Tina Louise (Ginger on "Gilligan's Island"), Salma Hayek, Ava Gardner, Liz Taylor in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof".

alysonatl
04-20-2006, 01:22 PM
I would like to be chic, elegant and refined like Grace Kelly or Audrey Hepburn; as beautiful as Elizabeth Taylor, Natalie Wood or Catherine Zeta Jones and as sultry as Sophia Loren, Teri Htacher or Scarlett Johansson. In real life, I ty to emulate the combined style sense and attitude of the Italian hitter chicks and Jewish American Princesses I grew up with. I try to think of myself as a Long Island homemaker/hot mama that I believed those girls grew into.Okay, I'm a Jewish Carmela Soprano!

HaleyPink2000
04-20-2006, 02:01 PM
http://www.askmen.com/women/actress/21c_gillian_anderson.html

Ellie
04-20-2006, 02:18 PM
I'm still developing my femme persona so there is a mix of several classic and modern movie stars but my biggest Role Model is my GF.

She has accused me more then once of going all "single white female" on her.

:lol:

Natalie tv
04-20-2006, 03:12 PM
My favourite from the past is Raquel Welch, as i have tried to copy my avatar, what do you think.

MsEva
04-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Sorry to jump on an old thread, but how could no one have mentioned Marlo Thomas, the star of "That Girl"? The cute clothes, big lashes, and that "flip" hairstyle... She was everything that I wanted to be when I was 8 years old. I would just stare at the TV whenever that show came on. My mother used to tease me about having a crush on her. If she had only known the truth!

Oh Maureen, I am so with you....just loved Marlo! I wanted to be her! When I was being good...when I was being "bad" I wanted to be the Lily St. Cyr from the ads in the back of the detective magazines at the barber shop.....

I guess now I am impressed by the moms who go to work every day, take care of the kids and still look fantastic.

Kudos to the modern moms

Faye Emmette
04-20-2006, 05:24 PM
Oohh that beautiful Audrey Hepburn in "Breakfast.."..
I melt every time I watch that movie ( and it might be tonight I think).
And Modesty Blaise is the wild woman in me. Suave, cool, unflustered.

Kiersten Olson
04-21-2006, 12:56 AM
Debbie Harry of Blondie-- don't ask why!