PDA

View Full Version : Hormones and heart disease

Donna June
06-25-2014, 04:24 PM
I haven't even spoken with a doctor about it yet, but HRT is something I have definitely thought about. I have heard HRT might be bad for someone with heart problems. Any of you know anything about that? I take a lot of medicines for my heart and blood pressure due to an aortic dissection a few years ago.

celeste26
06-25-2014, 04:53 PM
Well, ask a doctor! All the rest of us here are not doctors even if we do offer our opinions on such issues. In fact you might need to ask more than one doctor so why are you waiting? Get serious girl...

Starling
06-25-2014, 04:56 PM
Estrogen can contribute to clotting. If you've already got circulatory problems you should definitely talk to a doctor--which you'd have to do anyway, to get on HRT in the first place. Just don't lie to them. If your condition precludes HRT, it could be a major disappointment for you, but it doesn't mean you can't live as a woman. There are a number of women here who are in the same boat.

:) Lallie

Megan Thomas
06-25-2014, 06:46 PM
Just to add to Starling's post, it might be your condition won't preclude taking HRT but might affect the method of delivering HRT into the body. It's also worth noting HRT is not a miracle treatment and the older you are the less likely it will give you the results you probably want. Everyone's results vary though... As already said, go see a doctor.

kimdl93
06-25-2014, 08:16 PM
Yeah, better defer to a cardiologist. No one here wants you to risk health problems nor to forgot HRT if such fears are medically unfounded.

LeaP
06-25-2014, 09:59 PM
I am usually among the first to jump into any discussion on hormones and biology as it is such an interesting subject. In this case, I agree with the others. Your questions need to go directly to your doctor. Generalities of any kind, supported by research or not, are not going to be helpful in your case. Your answer absolutely will be specific to you.

Starling
06-25-2014, 10:00 PM
Good point about the delivery method, Megan. As far as what HRT will do, for older transwomen like me, the predominant effect may be in the sense of peace and well-being it can foster. I found it to be an almost immediate natural tranquilizer.

:) Lallie

Rianna Humble
06-26-2014, 03:44 AM
The only possible advice (to ask the doctor) has been given. Thread done.