PDA

View Full Version : Support Groups (Help)

Tina G
06-26-2014, 02:32 PM
I live in the middle of Nebraska, almost central to be exact and I'm trying to find any support groups near my area. If anyone who lives in Nebraska can give me any ideas or knows where i could find a group it would be helpful. I have tried online and get spammed with tons of dating sites which i don't need. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

Tina

Alice_2014_B
06-26-2014, 02:54 PM
Wish I could help; let me know if you're ever up here near Seattle though.

Alice Torn
06-26-2014, 02:58 PM
None here either , in rural Illinois. I cannot afford to deive to Chicago, and scared to drive to that giant city, too.

Steph_CD_62
06-26-2014, 05:01 PM
I am in the same area as you, and the closest one is probably Omaha but not for sure.

Tina G
06-26-2014, 07:39 PM
Yeah even my therapist has had a rough time finding anything in this area so thought it couldn't hurt to make a post and see what happened.

Tina

Emi_
06-26-2014, 08:08 PM
I blame the Internet. As a young transgender person, there were lots of groups all over my area. Lately, there is nothing and what little there is is really hard to find. While sites like this one are excellent and allow a wider number of people to get in touch and become a part of the greater tran* "community," they also discourage people from seeking to gather together in the real world.

Here in California, I have only found one group within about 20 miles of me and it is primarily a group of transsexual women. We have a good time and lots of fun, but they generally have a different focus from me. There are nightclubs and gay bars and places like that here and there but I'm not looking for that sort of environment. I like sitting down for refreshments and just chatting and I'm not at all into doing "the scene.."

In short, i think we are losing something as we gain more and more online presences. We are more connected while simultaneously being far more isolated. Folks in the closet are getting to connect from their closets with little incentive to touch base in the real world.

Jean. Ann
06-26-2014, 08:45 PM
I have the same problem here !
Have tryed to find or start a group in Texas ( Amarillo)
Or Western Oklahoma area with very little success

Jean Ann

Marcia Blue
06-26-2014, 10:27 PM
I and a small group of CDs, occasionally go out in Omaha. I can let you know, the next time we plan a GNO.

Sometimes Steffi
06-27-2014, 10:42 PM
I would say that your best bet is Denver. There's a very active TG community.

This meetup group

http://www.meetup.com/Mile-High-Transgendered/

is very active

Bea A
06-30-2014, 01:33 PM
None here either , in rural Illinois. I cannot afford to deive to Chicago, and scared to drive to that giant city, too.

I attend one that meets in Springfield. If that is closer. PM if you want more specifics.

Lorileah
06-30-2014, 05:12 PM
OK Kids, let's keep this in Nebraska...that was the OP.

ASK A QUESTION! Archive
Everyone Is Gay →

Nebraska Resources!

* Denotes Statewide/National Relevance

Hastings Area

PFLAG Hasting/South Central NE
Local chapter of Parents & Friends of Lesbians & Gays support group
Email: jsandeen@windstream.net
Phone: (402) 462-2961

PFLAG Lincoln
Local chapter of Parents & Friends of Lesbians & Gays support group

Outlinc
Nebraska’s LGBT community resource where you can meet others, volunteer,

Transguide
A resource for UNL transgender and gender non-conforming students

* Professional Transgender Resource Network
Provides resources, education, advocacy and support for transgender professionals in Nebraska

(Funny how this Google thing works ain't it?)

Couple things to remember as a Nebraskan, You are not covered by hate crimes protection and if you are in a certain mid-Nebraska town you can be legally discriminated against and kept from renting, buying a house, you can be fired or not hired, They can kick you out of restaurants, stores, clubs, bars, in fact any business. There is a law specifically stating this town does "Not want to be LGBT friendly"

Good luck