PDA

View Full Version : Clothing labels... subliminal messages?

Vee
06-29-2014, 11:45 AM
Looking through the racks at one of my local thrift shops I noticed labels on some ladies clothing that seemed more appropriate to the male CD buyers. Are these labels and brand names coincidental or are they appealing subliminal messages inviting us to buy ladies clothing? :eek:

Here are some examples I found. I'm sure there are more.

Woman Inside
Secret Woman
Underdressings

White Stag (Why name women's clothing after a male deer?)

Inquiring minds want to know...

V

Teresa
06-29-2014, 01:52 PM
Half the designers are men and they know what labels are going to catch the eye and warrant a second look !!

Leslie Langford
06-29-2014, 02:28 PM
I always get a kick ot of department store signage or sales ads that identify their products as "Women's" dresses, "Women's" skirts, "Women's" hosiery, and "Women's" bras or shapewear etc. Redundant much? It's almost as if they were implying that there was a male equivalent which would, of course, be music to the ears to any self-respecting CDer. :eek: :heehee:

Then again, maybe it's to avoid confusion lest some men think that "menswear", "boyfriend" jackets or "boy shorts" are actually meant for THEM... ;) :)

Emi_
06-29-2014, 02:40 PM
As for men's equivalents of women's things, I don't really care for that idea. I want to wear what actual women would be wearing, not some copy. A man's shirt with lace is still a man's shirt.

As for the labels, Max Factor had his name on his makeup for years and I'm sure that he was probably not sending secret messages to drag queens.

Seriously gang, not everything is about cross-dressing except in our own minds.

reb.femme
06-29-2014, 04:20 PM
My only worry with clothing labels is when the size goes up on my next visit. Is it me or are the clothes smaller?

However, I've had to review my own thoughts following Emi's comment, "Seriously gang, not everything is about cross-dressing except in our own minds". I thought all the adverts I saw for 'transmission services' were for a crossdressing religious order. :heehee:

Rebecca

Jorja
06-29-2014, 04:40 PM
It's almost as if they were implying that there was a male equivalent which would, of course, be music to the ears to any self-respecting CDer. :eek: :heehee:

Your kidding right? No male would ever be caught wearing women's clothing!;):)

Vee
06-29-2014, 05:24 PM
Emi wrote, "As for the labels, Max Factor had his name on his makeup for years and I'm sure that he was probably not sending secret messages to drag queens".

Point taken. It was a joke of sorts that apparently struck a serious chord for some. Perhaps it's not about "secret messages" but it's enough to make me wonder. Who would want clothing, men's or women's, named after a rutting, stinking male deer?

As for Mr Factor, I deliberately avoided male designer names. That would include half or more of all women's brands! To me it isn't quite the same as "Secret Worman" or "Woman Inside".

I was hoping to hear back on more brand names with similar appeal and potential "hidden meaning".

It's too much fun!

Jaylyn
06-29-2014, 05:29 PM
I would think that they can care less which gender buys their dresses as long as they get the dollar. It would be a fantastic idea if they started saying multi gendered clothing, but which big chain has the guts to do that.

Emi_
06-29-2014, 06:16 PM
The most expensive and most desirable women's shoes are made and sold by Christian Louboutin? Secret message: Jesus would want you to cross-dress! Get it? LOL!!!

Kate Simmons
06-29-2014, 06:25 PM
I doubt it. We more likely convince ourselves of stuff like this.:)

ambigendrous
06-29-2014, 10:31 PM
I was hoping to hear back on more brand names with similar appeal and potential "hidden meaning".

It's too much fun!

My wife gets an ooccasional catalog in the mail from a company called "The Woman Within" ...

Beverley Sims
07-02-2014, 12:39 AM
"His pants for Her"....

A neighbour bought her thirteen year old son a pair of boyleg shorts.

They were girls shorts, she never realised that and the boy loves them..

"I just don't know".

He hasn't been in a fight yet and I do wonder what his friends think. :)

tammie
07-13-2014, 05:19 PM
HI: glad someone else besides me gets msgs from ads also . I am sure it is not intentional on the part of advertisers

however that does not cahnge it for me . I had a brassiere speak to me from the floor once as i passed by and saw that

sexy black lace underwire bra . Not litteraly ( i dont want anyone to think i am a whacko, but figuratively .

Enough people think CDs are whack now without pouring gas on the fire (yet another whack thing to do) ineveyday

conversation .

BLUE ORCHID
07-13-2014, 06:23 PM
Hi Vee, The add execs at Madison Ave like to come up with catchy names.

Badwolf
07-14-2014, 01:41 AM
I think the names are mean't to be more like a way to say they are "secret" (recognize the brand that uses that term)? Remember culture says a woman's under things are very taboo, and they play with names of that.

As for White Stag, women love white horses etc, why not a white stag?

We can all assign double (sometimes triple) entendres to em but that doesn't mean that was the original intent.

Michaelasfun
07-14-2014, 09:36 AM
Not a clothing label, but Essie has a nail polish I like called "Secret Story" :) :)

Eryn
07-14-2014, 03:22 PM
...White Stag (Why name women's clothing after a male deer?)...

Wikipedia is your friend:

The White Stag company began as an offshoot of the Hirsch-Weis Manufacturing Company of Portland, Oregon, which made durable outdoor clothing and supplies worn by loggers, mill hands, and stockmen. Hirsch-Weis itself was founded when brothers Max S. and Leopold B. Hirsch purchased the Willamette Tent and Awning Company, a manufacturer of sails for deepwater ships, from E. Henry Wemme in 1907.[1] The Hirsch brothers renamed the company for themselves and Harry Weis,....He began making downhill skiing apparel, starting with a ski suit, which the Hirsch-Weis company began marketing in 1931 as White Stag, from the literal English translation of the parent company's names weis and hirsch

The name was later sold to Warnaco, split off as Authentic Fitness, which went bankrupt. The name was purchased by Wal-Mart, who uses the label for ladies casual clothing, products completely unrelated to its original use.