PDA

View Full Version : Pulled Over by a Polite Trooper

AKADonna
06-30-2014, 03:54 PM
Since I was going to drive out of town for a day of shopping as Donna, I got fully dressed and made up but waited to put on my wig until I got out of my garage and neighborhood. Actually, I put on the wig and combed it out in a shopping center parking lot, just before getting on the expressway out of town. I guess I was still messing with my hair as I got on the Interstate so I didn't notice a cruiser pulled over to the side with the blue light flashing. I thought nothing of it and went on .... only to be pulled over myself within a mile.

I've had the same concern as many of you have, I'm sure, about being confronted by a cop while en femme. This Alabama trooper was very polite and professional. He asked me for my license, registration and insurance card and then told me how the law now requires drivers to move to the center lane and slow down when passing an emergency vehicle on the side. He told me to remain in the car and he went to his cruiser to write me up. After a good 10 minutes, he returned - this time to the passenger side of the car and he reached in and handed me my paperwork back, along with a ticket. He simply said, " Move over when you see blue lights! Have a great day, Ma'am!"

I could not have been more astonished! He not only did not mention my attire, he gave me a warning ticket and then he "ma'am ed" me! Obviously, he knew from my license that I am male (and don't really pass very well), but he chose to take the high ground. I considered it a tremendous compliment that he treated me as a woman!

Emi_
06-30-2014, 04:05 PM
It's really funny how so many of us get so overwhelmed by the fantasy of being "found out" in one situation or another. The world around us isn't as concerned about us as we think they are.

Stephanie Sometimes
06-30-2014, 04:26 PM
Great to hear this Donna (well not the part about you getting a ticket that is). CD's treated with respect by law enforcement in Alabama no less! This is progress girls. It hasn't been that many years ago that you would have had reason to be terrified by being pulled over almost anywhere in the south. Thanks for sharing,
Hugs,
Stephanie

Jenniferathome
06-30-2014, 05:37 PM
... but he chose to take the high ground. I considered it a tremendous compliment that he treated me as a woman!

says a lot about the officer. Times, they are a changing.

Rachael Leigh
06-30-2014, 05:45 PM
Yeah it's called diversity training cause lawsuits just make for bad publicity

Edyta_C
06-30-2014, 06:23 PM
I am so glad your experience was a good one. Sometimes we forget stuff that is new like the moving over when passing a stopped emergency vehicle. That is relatively new but important for first responder safety.

Edy

Maria 60
06-30-2014, 06:48 PM
WOW! You just made my day with that story, not all but most policeman that I have run into seem like they want to be a hero. This policeman was a pure professional and hope its a new thing to come in the future. It's great for me because I am venturing out more and more, and the same as you I do a lot of dressing and undressing while I drive so it is a little easy to speed or drift on the road. I am very happy for you and hope it always like this in the future.

Marcelle
06-30-2014, 07:04 PM
Hi Donna . . . great story and thanks for sharing. It is nice when people treat us in the gender we are presenting.

Hugs

Isha

mechamoose
06-30-2014, 07:08 PM
Good!

It is nice when those who serve us, serve *all* of us!

Awesome, sweetie!

- MM

kimdl93
06-30-2014, 07:30 PM
He was a professional and conducted himself as such. I think you'll find this to be true of the overwhelming majority of law enforcement professionals.

StephanieCLT
06-30-2014, 07:37 PM
Wow, what a story. If that doesn't give you confidence, I'm not sure what will! :)

Alice Torn
06-30-2014, 07:45 PM
Wow! Another professional cop! I went through the same experience one Saturday night, at a small Wahington state coast town. I was shaking in my heels! But, he said it was not about the way i was dressed, and told me he was wondering why i was walking late at night, and my driving was nervous, and told me to go home and sleep!

Nicole Erin
06-30-2014, 08:46 PM
Never head anyone be so happy after getting a citation. Usually it is, "Some SOB cop pulled me over..."

You gotta kind of remember from their point of view - they would MUCH rather deal with a TG than some car load of thugs.

Sarasometimes
06-30-2014, 10:39 PM
Especially since he gave you a warning you may want to look into wheter you can put in a good word for him about his professional demeaner...Most people only file complaints.

Deborah2B
07-01-2014, 03:16 PM
The trooper was being a professional as he should be and most are. Law enforcement officers are more concerned about someone trying to kill them than someone dressing as another gender would. They want to go home to their families at the end of their shift. If you can, send a letter of praise to his superiors. It is so much nicer for them to get letters of praise instead of dealing with complaints.

shawnsheila
07-01-2014, 05:18 PM
Glade to hear you were treated with respect :) I hope this is a sign of the time changing for more acceptance of TG folks :)

Tracii G
07-01-2014, 05:49 PM
Always slow down and move over in the other lane when you can safely.

Stephanie47
07-01-2014, 05:52 PM
The trooper was there to enforce the law. He was acting professionally. Acting professionally does not equate to blind acceptance of cross dressing or same sex marriages. Personal bias does not belong in the work place, especially in government.

Aleca
07-01-2014, 07:58 PM
Indeed "times are changing" like Jennifer said. Cops I believe like to be appreciated by the public at least some (just like in any job), especially in the city where I live. If I were pulled over and treated like that I would send a thank you card to the officer, care of his department of just how much I appreciated his professionalism.

Alice_2014_B
07-01-2014, 08:52 PM
That is an amazing encounter Donna.

baldy1
07-02-2014, 12:11 AM
There can never be to many good stories about

biannne
07-02-2014, 12:30 AM
I like the story that Donna wrote about the Alabama trooper. Yes, times are changing but we still have to be careful so I carry ID card explaining my gender. If I get pulled over (so far I haven't), I hand that along with my drivers license.

-Ann

Beverley Sims
07-02-2014, 01:08 AM
That heart wrenching fear just went out the window.
Good for you.