PDA

View Full Version : I met a girl yesterday

samantha rogers
07-04-2014, 10:21 AM
So like most of us, I imagine, I have met and become friends with a lot of girls here and on a couple of other boards. Recently, I made the acquaintance of a mid twenties transwoman. We were chatting a little and I learned she was broke and had no ride to get bloodwork done, and without it could not get her scrip for her HRT meds.
Yes I know this is the CD board, but stay with me.
Being always the soft heart, I offered to drive her. Her house isn't too far from my office. So yesterday, after work and in drab, I drove over there. The house turned out to be in a pretty rough neighborhood in Detroit. Not the worst, but pretty rough. I pulled up in front of a run down place with stuff all over the front yard and a broken down pickup in the drive apparently dead.
She came shyly out and got into the car. As we drove I discovered she had no family here and no job. She had come from somewhere down south having escaped a bad scene at home and a very unsupportive local environment. She wore clothing that had seen better days, and her nail polish was chipped, but she radiated femininity and smiled and laughed easily. I learned she liked music and anime and hoped to visit London one day. I also learned that she had made a couple of mistakes here and there, like all of us. And that she had been homeless for nearly a year, sleeping on the ground in the woods near a local college. Her situation now was one that gave her a couch to sleep on.
We took her for her tests, and I drove her back. She thanked me and went inside.
Never once did she say anything about feeling sorry for herself. Never once did she complain. Instead, she was simply happy as can be to be getting her bloodwork done. She exuded pride about being trans, and did so happily and with a charming and pretty smile.
I share this for perspective.
I know I am plenty guilty of this myself, but so often I know we all get caught up in worrying about our own problems...getting our spouse to accept us, grousing when they dont, worrying about going out dressed, how we look, what others will think..etc...and I think we forget how very lucky so many of us are. Roofs over our heads, food to eat, friends (online at least), clothing to wear (enough for two people usually lol).
We have it pretty good, most of us do.
I dont know about you, but I will be remembering that a lot more clearly now.
Hugs and Happt 4th of July
Sammie

Renee Elise
07-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Sammie, this is a great story that does offer quite a bit of perspective. We do often forget about blessings in our lives when we get hung up on our problems. Sounds like you made her day and then some.

Tracii G
07-04-2014, 10:56 AM
It is easy to forget how good we have it when we think we don't.

cdinmd206
07-04-2014, 11:00 AM
I have always found out that when you think you have it so bad you will find or read about someone who is a lot worse off than you are.

Alice_2014_B
07-04-2014, 11:08 AM
Thank you for sharing that.
I think of things and feel blessed when I'm running a fever, feeling ill; such as knowing they're people with terminal illnesses and cancer that would give anything to trade their illness for a measly fever.

GretchenJ
07-04-2014, 11:16 AM
Amen...

thank you Sammie for sharing both your story and your time for someone in need...

happy 4th to all of you here.

Judith96a
07-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Well said Sammie. There's absolutely no doubt that interacting with someone who's getting it tougher than us can give us perspective - if we are open enough to accept it. Unfortunately many of those who most need such perspective seem to be to busy creating mountains out of molehills to have even noticed that there's someone else needing a little help!
Well done you, for going out of your way to help.
Judith

And yes, happy 4th July to all you folks in our lost colony ;)

Jaylyn
07-04-2014, 11:24 AM
We living in the USA are sometimes condemned because we are called the fat cats and the land of opportunity. We all need to set back when we are troubled and remember that life in some countries are not a given. We need to be more thankful for our freedoms here. My dad and five of his brothers fought in WWII and all six came back alive. Dad used to tell me to not be so concerned about what you have or what you don't but be concerned about at what price it took to get where this country is at. When I was right out of high school a small war was going on called Viet Nam and many of my high school friends died there. Please let Samantha's story be a blessing to each of us that we need to be more giving and helpful of others in our life. I really think that the CD part of us would be recognized as accepted more if we had a giving and helping others theme in our background. Maybe even looked upon with more pride and acceptance. Thank you Samantha for your good deed. It speaks for many that we as CDs n TS are humans inside and are not the weird old guy next door that loves to dress. I guess I will end with Love your neighbor as yourself type of attitude.

bridget thronton
07-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Good post thanks for sharing

Julie Denier
07-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Thanks for reminding us we shouldn't take all we have for granted ...

kelliT
07-04-2014, 01:27 PM
Thank for the post as well

Beverley Sims
07-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Sammie,
It is nice to remind us that we don't all have it so good.

I hope you have made a lasting friend.

Christen
07-04-2014, 02:07 PM
Good on you, Sammie. And it's a great point to make, for most of us our lives are pretty darn good. Sometimes when we are feeling that things just aren't going our way we need that perspective of what others manage to cope with all day, every day.

Christen x

Stephanie Julianna
07-04-2014, 02:13 PM
Sammie, You should have been a nurse. You have all the right stuff that you can not teach in any course. You are very special and I am proud to count you as a friend.

Marcelle
07-04-2014, 02:38 PM
Hi Sammie . . . what a great example of the kindness of human spirit you have provided and in the process remind us here that when we think things are bad because someone looks oddly at us or we don't get a chance to dress . . . there are others who have problems far worse than some of ours. You are an inspiration sweetie.

Hugs

Isha

Jolene Robertson
07-04-2014, 03:18 PM
Hi Sammie,

Great story. It makes us all better people to help someone once in a while. Just remember your state Motto.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice" which is Latin for "If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you."

It does help keep things in prospective.

Hugs
Jolene

Stephaniew
07-04-2014, 03:38 PM
Great story!
Thanks for reminding us, we should be grateful for the people in our lives.

Oh Stella
07-04-2014, 04:02 PM
Great post! Are you going to continue to try to help this young lady? Im sure you could get some of your friends on here to donate a piece of clothing in her size or a bottle of nail polish or a pair of shoes! Mc Donalds doesnt cost much and Im sure she would enjoy the meal and the company of someone!

Dana does shopping
07-04-2014, 04:27 PM
Kindness is its own reward!

Stephanie Sometimes
07-04-2014, 04:31 PM
Hi Sammie,

Great story and nice of you to share it for “perspective” on our country’s birthday. It’s good to keep that perspective when we think we are having a bad day or dealing with life’s problems.
Thanks Sammie.
Hugs,
Steph

Katey888
07-04-2014, 05:08 PM
Sammie -you are a beautiful and generous person.

The world is better for you being here... may that continue a long, long time... :)

Have a great 4th July everyone.. :cheer:

Katey x

Raychel
07-04-2014, 05:49 PM
Sammie, what you did is a wonderful thing, A simple thing for you.
means so much to someone else. You are right, it is easy to get wrapped up in your own little problems
and totally miss the valuable things in life that would mean so much to another person. The things that we
take for granted every day

amy101
07-04-2014, 06:18 PM
You both sound amazing I wish I had friends close by I could talk to

natcrys
07-04-2014, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the story.. and putting a bit of perspective and relativity to our lives! :)

Rogina B
07-04-2014, 09:46 PM
You are a good person for making the effort to help her. I feel that for every privileged transitioner,there are ten just like your friend... Struggling and needing help,yet happy just to be making progress.

Amanda M
07-05-2014, 04:32 AM
Samantha - with slightly moist eyes, I have to say the world could do with more like you! Big cyberhug!

Aprilrain
07-05-2014, 05:41 AM
10? More like a hundred! Especially the young ones.

Thanks for helping a sister out.

Claire Cook
07-05-2014, 05:51 AM
Sammie, I'm sure that your kindness meant a lot to her, and that was probably reflected in her demeanor. But her self-acceptance and confidence is a lesson we can all learn from, especially touching given her circumstances. Let's all hope that things will look up for her.

Thanks so much for sharing this.

Rogina B
07-05-2014, 06:07 AM
10? More like a hundred! Especially the young ones.

You are most likely right April. Human Rights Ordinances are so important in that discrimination can be deadly...Way too many T's kicked to the curb and living in refrigerator boxes,with their only real possessions being their hopes. Very sad in this day and age. Once a person slides down that slippery slope,it is nearly impossible to turn it all around..And a lot of that is due to discrimination and social constructs that a dehumanizing..

BLUE ORCHID
07-05-2014, 06:18 AM
Hi Sammie, That's the kind of goodness that will come back to you many fold.

Sarah M
07-05-2014, 08:32 AM
That was very nice of you . :thumbup:

Donna1391
07-06-2014, 05:21 PM
Way to go sammie ! U will be rewarded in time . Feels good to help someone in need U go girl. HUGS DONNA1391

GenieGirl
07-10-2014, 08:48 PM
You are just as beautiful on the inside as you are on the outside Sammy. I hope this girl is able to find a better life in time. Given her situation it warms my heart to see her in such good spirits for what you did for her. Some people would call me crazy but I couldn't tell you how many times I have picked up hitch hikers and given them a ride and offered them money or food to help them out. Surprisingly most of them don't take the money. Your story reminds me of a lady in particular I helped when I was in colcollege. Me and my friends would see her from time to time sleeping in the library. My friends would always joke about her to each other. I never said nothing though. I wish I would have spoken up for her at the time but remained silent. One morning after pulling an all nighter at the library, me and one of my friends went to burger king around 4am before our exam. I saw this same lady sleeping at a table while we were eating. We had both seen her before of course many times. After eating I went up to her and offered to buy her something to eat. I told her to get whatever she wanted to eat and I would buy it for her. All she wanted were some cheesy tots. I insisted she get more but that was all she would take. After I bought her food she was in tears crying and thanking me. It felt so good to help make her day. My friend didn't mention anything about it but I hope it lit a fire in him of how much of a difference you can make to a stranger in need. Then after leaving burger king we ran into a guy who needed a ride which I gave a ride without hesitation. I think my friend might have been a little worried though. Made my day to help not one but two people in the same day.

If you do keep in touch with the young girl I would be glad to help in any way that I can. Just message :)

Jolynn Harrison
07-10-2014, 09:31 PM
Genie, We know each other. Saw you at Legends a few weeks ago and the rock club. You will remember me and nikki. I was a big member her a few years ago, I just joined again. I need some more posts before I do my profile.

GenieGirl
07-10-2014, 10:14 PM
Sorry in advance Sam. Not trying to mess up your thread.

Hey Jolynn and yes I remember you and your wife very well. When you get enough posts send me a friend request. Would love to hang out with you two again in the future. Just ring me on here or send me a text if you two want to get together and do something. Unfortunately I can't go "out" Friday or Saturday since some sorority sisters will be spending the weekend....Sunday possibly if I have time. Take care.
Ginger

Genie, We know each other. Saw you at Legends a few weeks ago and the rock club. You will remember me and nikki. I was a big member her a few years ago, I just joined again. I need some more posts before I do my profile.

Kitty215
07-19-2014, 01:06 PM
Hi Samantha,
Thank you for the story, as so many others have said it is easy to lose perspective and forget all the blessings we have. Thank you also for your kindness.

CONSUELO
07-19-2014, 01:11 PM
You are the modern equivalent of the Good Samaritan. It takes a lot of moral strength and determination to help a stranger like you did. Thank you for your great kindness toward this woman.

Alice Torn
07-19-2014, 01:34 PM
Sammie, Good for you, and sacrificing for this person who is in dire straits. In the Seattle area, i ran across many homeless, when i was there, took a few in, one for most of a year. She was not a TGTS though, but had grew up in a station wagon and tent, father addicted gambler, abusive. She had always been homeless as adult. So much need for love and help, hidden among so much prosperity.

Davida Kay
07-19-2014, 01:56 PM
Small acts of kindness will save us! And this was not so small an act, but a significant contribution of time and help. Thank you Samantha for listening to your heart and conscience to help another. And for lending perspective to the blessings we so often take for granted.

RenneB
07-19-2014, 02:18 PM
Way to go girlfriend. Helping out in the bid D, one girl at a time.....

It makes me mindful of the blessings that I have....

Thanks for sharing....

Renne......

flatlander_48
07-19-2014, 03:14 PM
S.R.-

Thanks for the story. Sometimes we wonder why we happen to be in a particular place at a particular time, but sometimes we are reminded that we are exactly where we are supposed to be. Who knows? Your assistance at a critical time may prove to be pivotal.

The other thing that comes to mind for me is this. There are some people that, regardless of how difficult their situation is, they refuse to be weighted down by that. And, it is not a suspension of reality. It is recognition of what they feel needs to happen and staying focused on that. It is a trait to be admired.