PDA

View Full Version : Hint for typing with long nails!

Drew68
01-18-2006, 04:04 PM
I'm currently trying to grow my nails - I think it's a good way to be a little bit feminine all the time - if any one asks, I can say my new years resolution is to stop biting my fingernails, and I'm seeing how long I can grow them :D

They're not very long at the moment, only maybe 1/4 inch.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/Drew68/smallfingernails.jpg

But I'm finding it more and more difficult to type, and as I use a computer a lot at work, I'm getting really annoyed with myself, and I'm thinking of cutting them, which I don't really want to do.

So has anyone got any hints for typing with long nails - I'd be very appreciative!

PS.

Does anyone really like the feel of nail varnish - I'm wearing clear varnish at the moment, and I could just sit and run my fingers over my nails for hours - it just feels so smooth and sexy :) :thumbsup:

DanaJ
01-18-2006, 04:18 PM
My nails are pretty long, but I have overlays on them so they are pretty strong. I just still use the tips to bang away on the keyboard - I love the sound it makes, clickity click LOL

Many with long nails use the pads (fingertips) of their fingers to type....

pattied
01-18-2006, 04:27 PM
everything is pad based when you have long nails... I won't be able to grow mine as long as I would like if for no other reason than I am a chemist, and the exposure to acetone, methanol, ethyl acetate, etc is enough to ruin them.

Still, I wear my gloves, and try to be extra careful... and they have grown some, though not as long as yours (assuming the photo is you).

DanaJ
01-18-2006, 04:49 PM
pattied - you should try gels, they are impervious to acetone. I hadthem for over a year, and sometimes I would have longer acrylics put on over the gel nails. I would then soak my hands for 30 minutes to remove the acetone, the gels underneith were untouched :)

Drew68
01-18-2006, 05:14 PM
Yep - the picture is my fingers.

I've tried using my nails to tap on the keys, but I just can't get used to it - my nails keep slipping off the keys.

I am trying to get used to using the pads, but it just feels a bit unnatural, with short nails, I type using my fingertips, which I can't do with the longer nails. I suppose like anything else, its practice practice practice :D

Kim E
01-18-2006, 05:56 PM
I've also got a problem typing with long nails. I'd be a flop working in an office and having to type. Finally got my nails grown out without breaking them all off and now I have more typos than I ever had, especially when chatting online.

Kim

Sharon
01-18-2006, 07:52 PM
I type anywhere from six to 12 hours a day and never have a problem. As is mentioned above, I use the pads of my fingers.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1123945/000_0941a.jpg

uknowhoo
01-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Try keeping your fingers as close to horizontal as possible, so as to use the pads. ;) Tammi

Robertacd
01-18-2006, 08:47 PM
Tsk, tsk.. ladies:eek:

None of you show your nails in a very feminine way. At least not from what I found out as a young lad. I remember when I was young the mean girls down the street asking all the guys to look at their finger nails. If you turned you had palm up and brought your fingers together like a claw (like you all did) they would say mascline if you held you hand out palm down and spread you finners they would say call you feminine. Of course without thinking I naturally held mine out the feminine way and got teased for it.:o

My nails always get pretty long as I never cut them until they start breaking and catching on things.. Also I can never find the fingernail clippers. I swear we must own 20 sets but I only know where one is right at this moment.

Rachel Morley
01-19-2006, 12:57 AM
As is mentioned above, I use the pads of my fingers

Yep, me too. I use my pads. My typing is slower and I have more typos but hey....I can live with that, I love my long nails :)

Teddie
01-19-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm going to date myself here :hiding:

But, back in the good old days of keypunch machines. Yea, you remember those, the kind that punched holes in 80 column cards. I remember a couple of girls that had extra long nails, 1 to 2 inches beyond the tips of their fingers. And, they typed using the tips of their nails. A real click fest :rofl:

Kim E
01-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Hi Robertacd ~
For you, I thought I'd better post a more 'feminine' photo. I'm sure I violated a section in the Official CD/TG/TS Handbook also. ;) I can't seem to locate my copy.

Kim

JoAnnDallas
01-19-2006, 11:56 AM
I have long nails and I am a SOFTWARE ENGINEER. I have had my long nails for about 4 months now. I find I sometimes use the tips and sometimes I use the pads. Also I have had to slow down in my typing, which really cuts down on the typos a lot.

LindaTS
01-19-2006, 11:58 AM
I usually try to keep my nails at least as long as shown in the photo and don't seem to have a big problem with them and typing. The trouble starts when they get a little longer, say another 1/4" or so. Then is when my nails constantly hit the wrong keys. I think I do better using the tips of my nails when they get like that. Even then it takes some getting used to.