PDA

View Full Version : Doctors visit

samantha rogers
07-11-2014, 01:29 PM
So I went to see my doctor today for a regular bloodpanel and to just let him see how things are moving along. I've been on HRT since last February. My wife is in on this, but we still have kids at home and a world of friends yet unaware, though that day is inevitably coming. Still, for the time being, I still present as male at home and only dress when I go out. So the doctor and his staff have only seen me in male mode and have addressed me to date as such. Granted, my "male mode" is far from standard and somewhat closer to androgynous, but still.
Today was different.
My doctor is male and has never examined me unclothed.
Today, a female doctor visited with me first. She peered at my chart for awhile, asking for clarification on one or two points without looking up.
She then did look up with a wonderfully warm smile and said "Well you are doing wonderfully, honey!" She asked me about mood swings and flashes and then we commiserated about caring for splitting nails and hair care. Then she began to ask about my breasts which have grown substantially. She asked to see them and then showed me exactly how to check them for lumps, how to feel the actual breast tissue and so on. In short, she treated like a woman. And as i was leaving she addressed me as Samantha.
I am afraid I cried at that point.
But they were good tears.
It was a small step. But it was a good one.

:)

Hugs

Sammie

Kaitlyn Michele
07-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Thanks for sharing that story!!

I'm so glad that it went that way for you!!!

kimdl93
07-11-2014, 05:35 PM
You'll remember this visit one of the milestones, I think.

janetcgtv
07-11-2014, 09:00 PM
Things are slow at changing, but one day in all areas of the country everyone can go to a doctor of their choice where we all would be fully accepted and thought of as a woman.

Christen
07-11-2014, 09:22 PM
Must have been a nice feeling for you.

Christen x

Leah Lynn
07-11-2014, 09:43 PM
It is nice. I had a checkup 2 weeks ago with my regular doctor, who is female. She asked questions about the transitioning and I mentioned that the estrogen did cause me to have some strange thoughts from time to time. She then said, "Welcome to my world... Seriously, welcome!" That was fantastic to be welcomed to the other side by a ciswoman!

Hugs,

Leah

GretchenJ
07-11-2014, 10:27 PM
That is a big moment sis, it must have made your day. You know it's a big deal, since you are now on the Transsexual Forum now!

I am am very happy for you, for you totally deserve this !
Gretch

Melissa Cross
07-12-2014, 06:34 AM
That's wonderful, thanks for sharing!

Judy
07-12-2014, 06:41 AM
What a wonderful report! I would definitely see if switching to the female Dr. would be a possibility for you. She seems to be more in to your well being! :)

ellieparsons
07-16-2014, 08:32 AM
I will be switching over to a female doctor as well, before i start on hormones.

Carlene
07-16-2014, 10:37 AM
Thank you so much for this post, Samantha.
Carlene

dreamer_2.0
07-16-2014, 02:28 PM
Great story!

Jenessa
07-16-2014, 05:03 PM
I am very luck that my Dr. who is handling my transition is the same Dr. who has been my GP for 13+ years and has been involved with the trans community for over 25. He has been supportive and done his best to use my name and gender preferences (thought he has slipped a few time due to knowing me by my birth name so long), overall it has made things more comfortable.