PDA

View Full Version : TG on American Idol...what do you think about her?

MsJordan
01-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Who saw the CD/TG on American Idol named Zachary? This definitely sets us back as far as acceptance from the general public. He was ridiculed by Simon and I'm sure a large majority of American viewers. He was dressed like a typical teenage girl...nice white top, jeans, white belt, and high heel boots. His natural hair was styled like a girl and he even had his brows shaped like a girl with some makeup on. His family was very supportive and mom described him as simply eccentric and not caring what other say.

Just wanted to know your thoughts about it all!!

Tamara Barclay
01-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Yeah..saw it.
A VERY bad singer!!!!
And I think a nice padded bra would have finished off the outfit!

MsJordan
01-18-2006, 10:59 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. He was very passable though but the vocal definitely needed some work!!

Melanie R
01-18-2006, 11:19 PM
I believe this person may be an intersexed person who was totally denying in his statements that he wanted to be seen as a woman. This is no doubt a person in denial about his/her gender.

Melanie

MsJordan
01-18-2006, 11:22 PM
You are absolutely right!! I was amazed that he was so adamant on being recognized as a man when EVERYTHING suggested otherwise!!

Lisa Maren
01-19-2006, 12:38 AM
I think that Zachary is probably conflicted or in denial. I agree that everything about the way she presents herself is feminine. She clearly felt really unaccepted because of who she is and I feel for her.

Hugs,
Lisa

Shelby
01-19-2006, 12:48 AM
I was thinking if he only had some boobs, he's look like a she. Looks aside, he was only hearing what he wanted to hear and it was about his looks. Paula even stated based on singing, he wasn't up to par for the competition. Naturally, Simon couldn't help laughing at Zach's appearance. But when Zach was in the lobby whining about how America is racist and predudice towards poeple like him. I wanted him to shutup - first what was he? Second, if he wanted to be taken seriously then look in the mirror and and act serious. Yeah, he's in denial. We as a society do consider appearance as a factor towards liking someone so either use your situation to your advantage or change the style. If he wanted to be treated like a guy, stop wearing mommy's clothes and sing something manly. I bet he was wearing panties unde those jeans.

Rachel Morley
01-19-2006, 12:50 AM
I watched the show and I thought he was cool :) I liked his boots jeans and top. I do agree with others that anyone who looks and dresses like that shouldn't be surprised if they get mistaken for a girl.

Btw..... his singing sucked.

Holly
01-19-2006, 01:15 AM
Right on, Angel! :iagree:

sandy_folsom
01-19-2006, 01:23 AM
I thought he was definitely passable. Very cute haircut.

I didn't understand his rant about America being racist. Was there something I'm missing? It somehow reminds me of the Seinfeld episode of Elaine dating a guy she thought was black while he thought she was Hispanic.

As for America not ready for a transgenred idol, I probably agree. It would be hard to swallow for the red states but it's been done. There's Boy George from Culture Club. Too bad he screwed it up by getting messed up with drugs.

Darlena
01-19-2006, 01:37 AM
Poor Zachary. The fame must be getting to him by now. I'll even bet that he gets at least twelve credit card offers in the mail. every day. Let alone wanna be girlfriends at the laundro-matt. And the caffeteria lady, with the big buck-teeth, who gives you the extra helpings of "Goulash" But, let's not go there right now. OK? Love you a bunch.! & Let's Not Forget Kisses,

Alison Michelle
01-19-2006, 02:14 AM
I was quite surprised at Zachary being annoyed when people thought he was a girl. You all have it right, he is confused and seriously in denial.

His ranting about racism just fits with all the other who cant sing but believe they are the next Kelly Clarkson. It is just amazing how many people really suck and their friends don't speak up and tell them so!

Oh well, just another day in America.:cry:

Leilani68
01-19-2006, 02:18 AM
Wife and I saw it, Zachary either was in denial or possibly just
Gender Disphoria(in other words more of one Cromosone than the other)..
All in all everyones comments here make valid points.......:)

MandyTS
01-19-2006, 05:22 AM
I saw the episode tonight and my parents were watching. My dad goes... well that person looks like a girl... look at the arms. My mom goes, wow a girl... interesting coversation openup.

Then I started tearing it apart, the small "male" features that poked out, the over muscular shoulders, the chin shape and the lack of breasts. I told them it looked like she was either 1. Like me, no hormones in system and really thin which adds to the appearance or 2. She (or he) was on hormones.

Anyway, I did not care about the whole thing, I could do a whole lot better than that with the singing in the female range, but my body is not "feminine enough" right now... someday :p

Mandy

hotxbuns
01-19-2006, 05:46 AM
Whilst i havent seen the show i should mention that a "gender illusionist" named Courtney Act appeared on our version Australian Idol 2 years ago and made the final 10. S/he is quite simply one of the most stunning looking tg's around and released a top 10 single afterwards. I think it shows that whilst America may not be ready for us a lot of other countries are very accepting.

jo_ann
01-19-2006, 06:26 AM
just another whiny contestant. If he doesn't understand why people are confused on his gender, his mom needs to give him a clue. With a little more work he'd make one hell of a good looking girl. Or how about that black dude with the facial hair? "If you shaved you'd make one hell of a female impersonator".. why did he take offense to that, I'd be like "cool!" :-)

Sophia Rearen
01-19-2006, 08:36 AM
Whilst i havent seen the show i should mention that a "gender illusionist" named Courtney Act appeared on our version Australian Idol 2 years ago and made the final 10. S/he is quite simply one of the most stunning looking tg's around and released a top 10 single afterwards. I think it shows that whilst America may not be ready for us a lot of other countries are very accepting.

Thanks hotxbuns. Courney Act, Wow! Check her out http://www.courtneyact.com/

Julia Cross
01-19-2006, 09:05 AM
It's really unfortunate, I too as was my girlfriend were confused by the conflicting statements, I am definately a man, yet his appearance suggested exactly the opposite. Either he chickened out, or is in denial. But the fact that he wore everything feminine and dressed much better than half the female contestants made his denial unbelievable and thus his character, which opened the door for Simon to slam him. If only he had been honest with himself and the world. he was already on national TV, his cover was blown and then he made that ridiculous statement. How unfortunate, a perfet opportunity wasted.

Julia

uknowhoo
01-19-2006, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the link Sophia. ;)

I hadn't heard of her before, I'm impressed.

Courtney is a tough act to follow.:doh:

Hugs,

Tammi

DonnaT
01-19-2006, 09:30 AM
The judges thought Zachary was a girl until he commented to the judges that he was a guy, and that people mistake him for a girl all the time.

He can't understand why people make that mistake :undecided

And there's nothing wrong with his stating that he's a guy. It doesn't mean he's in denial, after all he is a guy, a guy that likes wearing girls clothes (no bra nor breasts).

His sister said he was just eccentric. He's a CD or Genderqueer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genderqueer) and doesn't know it, it seems.

On the Idol web page there is at least one video with a CD. In the video there is a guy wearing a pink tie and all looks 'normal' until they show he is wearing pink slacks and high heels. There's another guy in a Pipping Longstocking costume and blond wig, sporting a small beard.

http://www.idolonfox.com/videos/?c=x&cat=5&vid=88

See also

http://www.idolonfox.com/photos/?cat=1&sub=8&pic=2028

Julia Cross
01-19-2006, 09:49 AM
I think the Pipping Longstocking guy was try to get noticed, and not transgendered in any way.

J

KathrynW
01-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Well, Zachary was no stranger than "Crazy Dave" the night before...
No offense intended, but Zach should have known his chances of being selected were zero. The singing sucked eggs...also....work on the acne problem, Zach... ;)

JoAnnDallas
01-19-2006, 11:47 AM
don't they have somekind of screening process before people get to the
point where they are on TV. I'm not into this program, so don't know the
process that much.

susandrea
01-19-2006, 11:54 AM
I think the Pippi Longstocking guy want to find fame in the way of William Hung.

I think many of the contestants try for that.

Alison Michelle
01-19-2006, 01:06 PM
don't they have somekind of screening process before people get to the
point where they are on TV. I'm not into this program, so don't know the
process that much.

The way it seems to go is anyone who wants to try out gets to. So it you are in front of Simon your fair game to be put on display for all to see. I do think they screen some but just for security and extremely offensive people.

And yes some do it just to be on TV.

Stormgirl
01-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Didn't see the show but I ****ing HATE Simon.I hold a great deal of contempt towards him.WTF does he know about music?

Carlacd
01-19-2006, 04:45 PM
It was said to see the way she/he was treated, but not a very good voice. And then to say it was because of the way she/he dressed, made it that much worse.

TVStevie
01-19-2006, 05:17 PM
I didn't see the show, but we had a CD on The X-Factor here in the UK. A guy turned up and basically, the judges said that he'd do better if was dressed in drag.

He turned up the next day, said something like, "It's goodbye Justin, hello Justine" and looked for all the world like he was a seasoned CD. He claimed it was the first time he'd ever done it and that it was all for the show, but he looked far too polished for a first-timer. First time I ever put make-up on, I looked like a cross between Robert Smith and Ronald McDonald - Justine had hers done perfectly.

Not only that, but there was an attention to detail that most single guys wouldn't notice - the entire outfit was coordinated: shaved legs, hosiery, earrings, wig, shoes, LBD.

Amazingly, the judges put him through the first round, despite his terrible voice, but dumped him soon after...presumably, once they had enough footage to give the viewing public a laugh. I don't think it did us (CD's) any favours whatsoever - just another excuse to chuckle at any deviation for 'normal' (whatever that is!).

QuaSiMoto
01-19-2006, 05:17 PM
I didn't see the American Idol, but Zachary sounds cute. A little confused, but innocent enough. More power to him, her, whatever...

QuaSiMoto
01-19-2006, 05:18 PM
I F'n Hate Simon too. Arrogrant Brit.

Sarahgurl371
01-19-2006, 06:14 PM
I saw it, and knew what was comming. Basically, although I really didn't like how Zach was treated, if you are going on that show, and have seen it before, you have to know that you are opening yourself up to serious criticizm in front a national audience.

Anybody think that Zach was trying to get noticed by dressing that way? Other contestants have certainlly had a gimmick.

He was wearing a rather nice pair of boots though.

jo_ann
02-08-2006, 06:36 AM
what is it with people getting offended when simon tells them they'd make a better female impersonator? he didn't say "drag queen", he's just saying a performer that wears a dress. There was a very masculine tattooed guy on "miami ink" that did drag for many years just to pay the bills, and he seemed quite heterosexual:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2172773105308749746&q=miami+ink

Last night (02-07-05) there was a guy singing cher - believe, and then when he was done, he's like "I can sing a judy garland song".. I'm sorry, I hate stereotypes, but cher and judy? that's just screaming either crossdresser or gay, and then he gets all defensive? he makes us look bad.

livy_m_b
02-08-2006, 07:37 AM
I've never been a fan of American Idol, but after watching a few episodes, here's my take on Simon: He watches and is very sensitive to his own reactions because he's looking for someone capable of a total commercial package - anything that interferes with him seeing that total package tends to completely derail him. And he'll tell you almost at random about one or more of those things. Tho it sounds cruel, I think he's trying to help people get real about their prospects. That said, he can be extremely cruel and rarely pulls a punch to take personality into account. (But does sometimes.) If Paula is encouraging, Simon is "get your act together or don't take up our time." I wouldn't treat any t/cd comments as anything more than pure Simon.

KathrynW
02-08-2006, 09:10 AM
what is it with people getting offended when simon tells them they'd make a better female impersonator?
That's an easy one. Society's stereotype of a normal red blooded male doesn't dress like a woman....ever...;)

Kimberley
02-08-2006, 10:17 AM
I refuse to watch Idol because of Simon. He is an a**. Not even an attempt to be polite while telling someone they didnt make the cut. His reactions to Zachary are exactly the kind of prejudice so many of us have to endure and worse. Damn it, it hurts and a lot of us know that.

I dont think the discussion should be Zachary other than s/he set him/herself up, but rather the ignorance of Simon in dealing with it. Shouldnt the discussion be about Simon instead of Zachary?

Are we not condoning Simon's reactions by not attacking them? Things will never change unless we raise our voices in objection to this kind of prejudice.

Just my opinions for what they are worth.

KathrynW
02-08-2006, 10:25 AM
I refuse to watch Idol because of Simon. He is an a**. Not even an attempt to be polite while telling someone they didnt make the cut. His reactions to Zachary are exactly the kind of prejudice so many of us have to endure and worse. Damn it, it hurts and a lot of us know that.
I dont think the discussion should be Zachary other than s/he set him/herself up, but rather the ignorance of Simon in dealing with it. Shouldnt the discussion be about Simon instead of Zachary?
Simon gets paid to be an ass, and he's very good at it. If you're not into that, then don't watch. I'm sure the ratings of the show won't suffer much from you not watching. Zachary's singing sucked rotten eggs. Zachary basically did ask to be ripped apart, knowing what he was walking into. What did you expect Simon to say? ;)

kimmy p
02-08-2006, 01:33 PM
I refuse to watch Idol because of Simon. He is an a**. Not even an attempt to be polite while telling someone they didnt make the cut.

Simon has a complete lack of tact. But... He is also the most honest of the bunch. If he could just learn that other humans have feelings then he would be a great judge. Other than that he needs to keep his personal tastes in music out of his decision making process. If he dislikes the song he tends to dislike the person.

Kimmy

KathrynW
02-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Simon has a complete lack of tact. But... He is also the most honest of the bunch. If he could just learn that other humans have feelings then he would be a great judge
The fact that Simon is exactly as he is, is one of the reasons the ratings for the show are so high. People expect that from Simon. That's *exactly* what the public wants to see from Simon. American Idol is marketing genius. That's the beauty of it. ;)

Stephanie
02-08-2006, 03:05 PM
"This definitely sets us back as far as acceptance from the general public."

I have to admit that I did not catch this particular episode of American Idol. In fact, I don't even watch the show but my wife does (but hasn't been watching the show lately, so I didn't know about this until I came across news articles from Planet Out and in People Magazine). In regards to your post, I question how one TG individual such as Zachary "sets us back as far as acceptance from the general public." I don't believe (based on what I've read anyway) that he ever claimed to speak or represent the rest of us nor that he did anything particularly outrageous or appalling (correct me if I am wrong). Also, just because the judges were apparently rude to him (primarily Simon, who is rude to just about everybody who is onstage at any given moment), does not mean that he has "set us back," in fact, I believe, if anything, he may have helped us out by having the courage to go on national TV as he was. Whether he admits that he is TG, TS, in denial, etc. or not (FYI: People magazine stated that he reported to them that he considers himself to be TS and wants to have SRS in the future), it still goes to show the rest of us that he is o.k. with being "different" and that he is being "true to himself." Frankly, I admire his courage. I KNOW that I could never do something like that myself, so I admire the fact that he had the apparent strength and confidence (thanks in no small part to his supportive family) to go before a national audience presenting himself as he desired to and not how we know society would have expected him to. I believe that he deserves a bit of support for THAT if nothing else. His appearance may also serve the purpose of having exposed the general public to more persons like us and served as a reminder to them that we DO, in fact, exist and aren't going away. At the very least, I feel that it is important for me to point out that just because we are all transgendered individuals to varying degrees, it does not mean that we all look, act, or feel the same way and that we should not allow one transgendered individual (i.e. Zachary) or even a group of transgendered individuals to speak for or serve as a representation of how the rest of us look, act, or feel. Likewise, I believe that we should not ridicule those of us who actually do have the courage to get out there in public and show ourselves even though it's not easy. THAT is the kind of thing that WILL "set us back." I believe that we need to support and look out for each other. The more that the general public knows transgendered persons the faster they will come to a greater acceptance of people like us.

AprilMae
02-08-2006, 03:25 PM
You couldn't make me watch that reality TV garbage if you put a gun to my head.

jo_ann
02-09-2006, 07:14 AM
zachary video:
http://www.youtube.com/w/American-Idol-5-girl-guy-funny?v=yvdu0x9hmfQ&search=%22sex%20change%22

AmberDay
02-09-2006, 11:45 AM
"This definitely sets us back as far as acceptance from the general public."

I believe that he deserves a bit of support for THAT if nothing else. His appearance may also serve the purpose of having exposed the general public to more persons like us and served as a reminder to them that we DO, in fact, exist and aren't going away.

Likewise, I believe that we should not ridicule those of us who actually do have the courage to get out there in public and show ourselves even though it's not easy. THAT is the kind of thing that WILL "set us back." I believe that we need to support and look out for each other. The more that the general public knows transgendered persons the faster they will come to a greater acceptance of people like us.

Finally! somebody said what I was thinking. He did not set us back at all. What the nation saw was a transgendered person not acting like a deviant. Although he couldn't sing, I thought it was a nice presentation that we are not all the freaks that society makes us out to be.

Amber